Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hollie.weimeraner
    • By hollie.weimeraner 19th Jul 17, 10:35 AM
    • 1,408Posts
    • 822Thanks
    hollie.weimeraner
    0 WOW
    National Trust Membership
    • 19th Jul 17, 10:35 AM
    0 WOW
    National Trust Membership 19th Jul 17 at 10:35 AM
    I don't know if this has been mentioned previously but anyone taking out National Trust membership can get it cheaper by joining the Scottish National Trust which has a reciprocal agreement with the National Trust in England.

It could also be a Moneysaving Moral Dilemma whether to do this or not
Page 1
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 19th Jul 17, 10:39 AM
    • 2,188 Posts
    • 3,273 Thanks
    gardner1
    • 19th Jul 17, 10:39 AM
    • 19th Jul 17, 10:39 AM
    I don't know if this has been mentioned previously but anyone taking out National Trust membership can get it cheaper by joining the Scottish National Trust which has a reciprocal agreement with the National Trust in England.

It could also be a Moneysaving Moral Dilemma whether to do this or not
    Originally posted by hollie.weimeraner
    Or if really cheeky join the NZ national trust
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 19th Jul 17, 11:39 AM
    • 33,303 Posts
    • 17,230 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 19th Jul 17, 11:39 AM
    • 19th Jul 17, 11:39 AM
    Nothing cheeky about using the reciprocal arrangements with the heritage NZ.

That gives you admission to NT of England, Scotland AND English Heritage too
    • macman
    • By macman 19th Jul 17, 3:06 PM
    • 41,351 Posts
    • 17,001 Thanks
    macman
    • 19th Jul 17, 3:06 PM
    • 19th Jul 17, 3:06 PM
    The only downside is that you don't get the parking permit which comes with the English NT sub.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 19th Jul 17, 8:36 PM
    • 33,303 Posts
    • 17,230 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 19th Jul 17, 8:36 PM
    • 19th Jul 17, 8:36 PM
    Wherever there is no parking charges for nt members or eh members there's no parking charges for heritage NZ members either
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 20th Jul 17, 8:18 AM
    • 4,454 Posts
    • 1,640 Thanks
    knightstyle
    • 20th Jul 17, 8:18 AM
    • 20th Jul 17, 8:18 AM
    Sorry Quentin that is not true.
    You are charged £5 for parking at Clumber Park if you are members of Heritage NZ.
    I believe other NT properties also charge.
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 20th Jul 17, 9:39 AM
    • 5,928 Posts
    • 2,468 Thanks
    roddydogs
    • 20th Jul 17, 9:39 AM
    • 20th Jul 17, 9:39 AM
    The old threads are the best!
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 21st Jul 17, 4:30 PM
    • 33,303 Posts
    • 17,230 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 21st Jul 17, 4:30 PM
    • 21st Jul 17, 4:30 PM
    Sorry Quentin that is not true.
    You are charged £5 for parking at Clumber Park if you are members of Heritage NZ.
    I believe other NT properties also charge.
    Originally posted by knightstyle
    No. They don't charge affiliated members.

You only pay at those properties where everyone pays including NT members.
    Last edited by Quentin; 24-07-2017 at 8:06 PM.
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 24th Jul 17, 1:42 PM
    • 5,928 Posts
    • 2,468 Thanks
    roddydogs
    • 24th Jul 17, 1:42 PM
    • 24th Jul 17, 1:42 PM
    No what?...........
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 25th Jul 17, 9:42 AM
    • 5,928 Posts
    • 2,468 Thanks
    roddydogs
    NZ website says "does not include parking"
    • macman
    • By macman 25th Jul 17, 5:30 PM
    • 41,351 Posts
    • 17,001 Thanks
    macman
    I was referring to NT sites where there is open access: eg country parks etc, rather than properties. These often charge for the use of the car park, and by displaying a valid window sticker, you are exempted from these charges.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 26th Jul 17, 11:01 AM
    • 33,303 Posts
    • 17,230 Thanks
    Quentin
    NZ website says "does not include parking"
    Originally posted by roddydogs
    Nevertheless it does!
    • Stan.In.Devon
    • By Stan.In.Devon 8th Sep 17, 1:35 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Stan.In.Devon
    I've been down this road before with some of the familiar names here (although I haven't seen my old mate Quetu for a while).

Yes, I use a NZ card. No there's no point in trying to make me feel bad about using it, (but that won't stop a few from still trying....).

Yes, I use it now and again and, yes, I generally buy a cup of overpriced tea or coffee and cake to add a little to their profits (and sometimes the comestibles on offer REALLY aren't worth having, but I still buy them).

Up till last year there was a fairly relaxed attitude taken by most of the (very few in number) car park attendants where I went - but, as I've said before, one attendant in Cornwall gave me a haughty lecture about depriving the poor old NT of much needed funds etc etc etc. ... but did allow me ingress to her car park without paying the fee (she must have thought I looked a deserving case)

Yes, the NZ terms and conditions do say that car parking at NT properties is excluded so there's really no point in anyone trying to convince their self otherwise. A NZ card does not entitle you to park free.

There are, increasingly, Pay and Display machines being installed in NT sites thus indicating that the NT want to increase their income even more and the debate will continue regarding the use of the new 'scannable' cards issued to NT members - as well as the use of the windscreen stickers issued to members ...which, interestingly, English NT seem to indicate on their website will be subject to withdrawal in the foreseeable.

The use of Scottish NT membership cards in English NT sites and whether free car parking is an official benefit in the UK is a topic that's been batted to and fro since the old King died and I still don't know for sure what's officially what (but I'm not a Scottish NT member as we speak so it's a bit immaterial to me - although I would be interested to hear more of other people's experiences and would like to see tangible evidence either way). I simply can't find a definitive piece of text on the Scottish or the English NT websites to confirm or deny.

I happen to have a windscreen sticker issued to me enabling parking at my local NT site (coz I volunteer at an associated facility there) therefore don't buy tickets from the machine there - but the NT attendant always used to tell us that they don't issue parking charge notices to anyone because there aren't any to issue - they just stick reminder notes under the wiper. Whether that's the case in other NT sites I don't know (I'm thinking the Lakes for example?).

What irritates me as much as anything else is that the Scottish NT have the decency to charge a bit less than the £108 that the English NT currently charge a couple ... AND Scottish NT allow an old age discount immediately on joining whereas the English NT won't allow an OAP discount until 5 years membership has been reached. That's just plain nasty.

OK, I'll don the ol' tin hat and prepare to shrug off the anticipated abuse and bid you all a good night.
    Last edited by Stan.In.Devon; 08-09-2017 at 1:42 AM.
    • GothicStirling
    • By GothicStirling 8th Sep 17, 7:28 AM
    • 967 Posts
    • 722 Thanks
    GothicStirling
    Nothing cheeky about using the reciprocal arrangements with the heritage NZ.

That gives you admission to NT of England, Scotland AND English Heritage too
    Originally posted by Quentin
    Not true. The only organisations who get free access to all EH sites are HIstoric Scotland, CADW and OPW (Irish Heritage). You will be able to gain access to sites with joint sites such Stonehenge and Housesteads (where monuments sit on NT land). You will get a DISCOUNT for admission, not for free. Stonehenge will only accept English NT (not even Scottish NT). I know this as I used to work for them. There is now a monthly DD which starts at £3. Historic Scotland is cheaper, but you will have to wait until year 2 for free admission (half price in first year).
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 8th Sep 17, 8:32 AM
    • 5,928 Posts
    • 2,468 Thanks
    roddydogs
    Dont forget that from 2018, you will need to scan your membership card to get a parking ticket, the sticker will Not be enough. Whether its enforced is another matter. Anyone with a Scots mem card care to tell us if they can get a ticket with it (its not being enforced till 2018).
    • Stan.In.Devon
    • By Stan.In.Devon 8th Sep 17, 10:23 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Stan.In.Devon
    Not true. The only organisations who get free access to all EH sites are HIstoric Scotland, CADW and OPW (Irish Heritage). You will be able to gain access to sites with joint sites such Stonehenge and Housesteads (where monuments sit on NT land). You will get a DISCOUNT for admission, not for free. Stonehenge will only accept English NT (not even Scottish NT). I know this as I used to work for them. There is now a monthly DD which starts at £3. Historic Scotland is cheaper, but you will have to wait until year 2 for free admission (half price in first year).
    Originally posted by GothicStirling
    You categorically say... "Not True".

But the fact of the matter is - The NZ terms and conditions DO state that free, or reduced, access to English Heritage sites is available to NZ card holders. I have the card and I have the terms and conditions and I have visited EH sites using the card and (obviously enough) there hasn't been a problem - entry has been free or reduced (more usually it's free) .. it's allowed and I've done it. It's not illegal, it's permitted and I still sleep at night.
    Last edited by Stan.In.Devon; 08-09-2017 at 6:04 PM.
    • Stan.In.Devon
    • By Stan.In.Devon 8th Sep 17, 10:38 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Stan.In.Devon
    Dont forget that from 2018, you will need to scan your membership card to get a parking ticket, the sticker will Not be enough. Whether its enforced is another matter. Anyone with a Scots mem card care to tell us if they can get a ticket with it (its not being enforced till 2018).
    Indeed, they may well introduce stricter enforcement in the next year or so. And you're right when you wonder what enforcement measures will be taken in future.

And you've, understandably, reiterated the question of whether Scottish NT card holders legitimately park for nothing in English NT sites.

If English NT is seen to employ attendants in Hi Viz jackets with "Parking Enforcement" stamped on the back and cameras and electronic ticket machines attached to their belts ... and these attendants start ticketing existing NT members who don't happen to have their cards on them... then I foresee the aforesaid members getting the 'ump. NT members are not the sort of people who are likely to continue paying £100 a year only to be fined for using the sites they choose to visit. Those members are often in groups and they generally spend very decent sums in the shops and cafes and other facilities which charge on top of the admission fees and are not going to approve of being given a £50 fine (parking charge) on top o everything else.

What goes around comes around.

As per the words of the song ... "There may be trouble ahead" .......
    • Stan.In.Devon
    • By Stan.In.Devon 8th Sep 17, 4:35 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Stan.In.Devon
    OK then. I emailed Scottish NT this morning. They replied this afternoon. The response was quick and will be helpful to Scottish NT members who are unsure if they may park free in English NT sites. Seems pretty conclusive to me. But I have replied just to ask where it's written in the terms and conditions in order that any officious jobsworth that might be encountered on the gate of an English NT site can be put straight then and there.

In view of their assistance and confirmation I may well join up with Scottish NT when my NZ membership expires especially as they will allow my wife and I to benefit from OAP rates straight away (currently £63) rather than pay ENT £108 and then have to wait five years in order to get their OAP discount. In fact I might join up now, just to show willing!

The reason I have sent a second email is just to confirm that the proposed scannable cards issued to ENT members won't result in confusion to Scottish NT members ... remember the email I received says that the Scottish NT windscreen sticker is, in itself, proof enough and DOES entitle the holder to park free.

Here is the email -

Thank you for your email.

We understand that there have been a rise in our members being refused parking I can confirm that no changes have been made. We have been in regular contact with the National Trust on this matter and they have reiterated to their frontline staff that you will still be able to park for free as long as you have a valid car sticker.

In all instances where there are parking barriers being enforced, these will be manned. This will not affect your ability to park at NT properties for free.

If you have had any specific instances please let us know so that we can raise these directly with the NT.

Thank you for your support.

Kind regards,
    Last edited by Stan.In.Devon; 08-09-2017 at 4:47 PM.
    • Castle
    • By Castle 9th Sep 17, 4:30 PM
    • 1,301 Posts
    • 1,687 Thanks
    Castle
    Actually it has already started at a few places; Killerton Estate and Arlington House in Devon for example
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 9th Sep 17, 6:34 PM
    • 5,928 Posts
    • 2,468 Thanks
    roddydogs
    Yes, but as I posted its NOT being enforced till 2018. Crazy situation then next year that a Scot sticker will be enough, but not an English one!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,349Posts Today

7,054Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin