Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 19th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    • 2,570Posts
    • 21,137Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Tales from The Shire
    • 19th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    Tales from The Shire 19th Jul 17 at 10:11 AM
    Tales from the Shire

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
    J R R Tolkein

After many happy years in the Garden of England we have started a new adventure in The Shire. Although still reeling from the stress and upheaval of the house move, we can see the potential for a wonderful home and life here. It’s going to be amazing!

There is much to do and, as with any great journey, company is much appreciated. So I hope my forum friends will join me on the road.

A new chapter (and diary) has begun.

Fortune x

For those who are interested in how we got to be here, my previous diaries can be found at:

Two Pennies Left - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4068401
    The New Adventures of Fortune - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5605109
    Mortgage: 2.02% paid House Deposit Contribution: 84% Emergency Fund: 43%

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
Page 9
    • CharlieKat
    • By CharlieKat 9th Sep 17, 11:53 AM
    • 70 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    CharlieKat
    Hi Fortune

Have read your diary - this one, not the others - yet and i'm taking inspiration from the delicious sounding meals you make and am hoping to be a bit more adventurous with meals and plan them better too - thank you

Fantastic news that you've got a dog, and a rescue one too Echo-ing others here that you will be giving him a wonderful home

It will be more than fine, it sounds like he may have had a few changes in his life and may need a bit of time to realise this is his forever home now and that he is a part of the family and is loved. We've got rescue cats so no suggestions I'm sorry although others have posted some good advice. When we got ours we had a few accidents - one refused to use the litter tray and ruined a rug, a couple of things got broken as they got used to their new surroundings. I couldn't tell them off as i'm sure they had no bad intentions It wasn't very MSE of us to get them either and i must admit to spoiling them a bit by getting their favourite food and cooking them some chicken on occasion

Have subscribed - hope that's ok.
    Mortgage: £140,000 £68,490.66
    Credit Card 1 8/7/17: £2771 £1,546
    No buying new clothes from 16/07/2017
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 9th Sep 17, 1:26 PM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 21,137 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Hi Fortune

I love your Pros list! It reads like the requirements of an ideal man!

Bexster
    Originally posted by bexster1975
    - just imagine if he had the cons though

Fortune x

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 9th Sep 17, 1:31 PM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 21,137 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Of course it will be fine! You've only had him a few days, and he's changed already. The catsitting I was doing - they were rescue cats, two years ago, and they're *still* changing. As for not being MSE - it was a considered move between you and your OH, life isn't only about paying things off.

Good for you!
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    I'm learning Karma. I've found he responds to commands better if I give them quietly and it's best not to try and play with him yet. Calm and quiet are my words du jour

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 9th Sep 17, 1:32 PM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 21,137 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Wow! Fab news - great you have taken a rescue woofer!
    x
    Originally posted by greent
    Thanks greent. I think it's the right thing to do if you're going to get a dog but I'm not quite sure what I've let myself in for.

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 9th Sep 17, 1:34 PM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 21,137 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Lovely. I think its great, collies are super intelligent..I am sure he will come on in leaps and bounds (that wasn't an intentional pun, but then thinking on it - you can do dog agility training with him to boot!! )

Keep us posted
    Originally posted by brizzledfw
    He is very clever Brizzle and learning fast. We have a dog training and agility centre close by and I've left them a message to call me today.

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 9th Sep 17, 1:48 PM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 21,137 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    He'll be fine! It will just take time and patience! If you have room and don't have one already I would suggest a crate Mine have one with lots of bedding in and a blanket over the top so it's a nice cosy den where they can go and be on their own if they get anxious or just want to be left alone. It might help him to have one when visitors come round and he can come out of it when he feels comfortable.

Good luck and it will be worth it! x
    Originally posted by Jessy103
    Thanks for the tip Jessy. He seems fine as long as he can get to his bed and strangers let him come to them in his own time. I had visitors on Thursday and gave him an activity treat bone to keep him occupied and provide a positive association. After a little initial concern he settled down without a problem. Having said that I had very quiet well behaved visitors and not too many. Things might be different if we have a houseful so a crate might come in handy then.

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 9th Sep 17, 1:50 PM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 21,137 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Congrats on the new addition, what a lovely home you are giving him.
    Originally posted by EatingTheElephant
    I hope he'll like it ETE - he loves going for walks in the field.

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 9th Sep 17, 1:56 PM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 21,137 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Hi Fortune

Have read your diary - this one, not the others - yet and i'm taking inspiration from the delicious sounding meals you make and am hoping to be a bit more adventurous with meals and plan them better too - thank you

Fantastic news that you've got a dog, and a rescue one too Echo-ing others here that you will be giving him a wonderful home

It will be more than fine, it sounds like he may have had a few changes in his life and may need a bit of time to realise this is his forever home now and that he is a part of the family and is loved. We've got rescue cats so no suggestions I'm sorry although others have posted some good advice. When we got ours we had a few accidents - one refused to use the litter tray and ruined a rug, a couple of things got broken as they got used to their new surroundings. I couldn't tell them off as i'm sure they had no bad intentions It wasn't very MSE of us to get them either and i must admit to spoiling them a bit by getting their favourite food and cooking them some chicken on occasion

Have subscribed - hope that's ok.
    Originally posted by CharlieKat
    Hello CK - how lovely to see you. Of course it's ok to subscribe, I love visitors.

Menu planning is one of the things I'm quite good at although the outcome can be variable I used to post a lot of recipes but have been overtaken by recent events.

You are absolutely right, it's just going to take a bit of time. He'll have only been with us a week tomorrow so of course he's not going to feel at home yet. He's come so far in that time that I probably am expecting too much of him at this point.

Thanks for dropping in.

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 9th Sep 17, 2:24 PM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 21,137 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    The continued downfall of a MFW
    More dog related spending has occurred
    • a second treat bone. I stuffed the one I bought with (dog safe) peanut butter and put it in the freezer. It kept him occupied for ages when I had visitors this week and I hope has helped to give him a positive association with people coming to the house. I'd like to have one always handy in the freezer in case of unexpected visitors or for when I have to go out and leave him on his own
    • a puzzle feeder. Due to his anxiety, he is tethered for periods of time as this helps him to feel calm and safe. It's never for long but I'd like to give him something to interest him during these periods. I can put a portion of his dinner in this one and, hopefully, it will take him a while to get to the noms. I might be worrying unnecessarily here because he actually just goes to sleep during these times
    • a second bed liner. The first is stinky already because we haven't been able to bath him and I'm not sure I can get it washed and dry in a day with the current weather
    • a smaller collar. I'm sure he could slip his current one if he really wanted to
    • a camping shower. So we can bath him He's' not allowed upstairs and we don't have a downstairs bathroom so this was a bit of a dilemma. Problem solved and it arrived this morning we are going to give him a bath tomorrow when Mr F gets home

That should be it now though

We apologise for the interruption in this MFW programming. Normal service will be resumed... well probably won't be resumed for a while yet

So in other news I have:
    • reconciled all the bank and credit card accounts
    • reported a large fraudulent spend on Mr F's credit card Over £2k It's to a travel agent for a flight and apparently 3 further flight bookings were declined after J0hn L£wi$ didn't flag that with us though However, they are going to refund the amount, have cancelled Mr F's card and are issuing a new one
    • budgeted for the rest of this month and the next. There may be a small amount left over to go into the emergency fund but Mr F and I will probably sacrifice some of our personal spends to progress things in the house
    • ordered some shelving for the utility room cupboard so we can tidy things up in there and get doggy food and treats off the ground and out of reach. It is more of a cupboard than a room and you have to walk though it to get to the downstairs loo. With all our coats and boots in there it's like walking through the wardrobe to Narnia

I must get back to posting daily and focusing on money. I'm happy to spend and save money as long as I consider what I'm doing and I feel as though I've fallen off the wagon with that recently. Climbing back on now.

I'm hoping for a bit of sunshine soon as there are Bramleys, runner beans and sloes to pick Oooh - applesauce would be fab for stuffing treat bones with

Have a great weekend folks.

Fortune x

• stepuptothepl8
    • By stepuptothepl8 9th Sep 17, 4:08 PM
    • 768 Posts
    • 3,623 Thanks
    stepuptothepl8
    How lovely that you have a rescue collie :-) so do we.. she's still anxious, but we have coping strategies. She has a crate, and if men (one of her triggers) are visiting we tend to pop her in there, or the car - she loves the car. She hates eye contact, so we tell visitors to ignore her completely, and she also hates sudden movements so everything has to be gentle and slow. With us, she is a loving, obedient, soppy girl. With strangers I still wouldn't trust her. And we've had her a long time!!
    Good luck with yours - pic please!
    LBM 1st Feb 2015 £17902 to go
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#503
    2017 challenges:
    March - Bath Half Marathon DONE!!
    July - trailwalker 100km walk for Oxfam & the Ghurka trust DONE!!
    • porgiegeorgie
    • By porgiegeorgie 9th Sep 17, 7:50 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 1,129 Thanks
    porgiegeorgie
    Aww lovely news about the dog ^_^
    Pets are family so you can't really put a price on them, no need to worry about not being MSE!
    MFiT-T4 #75: £142,480 to £86,700 by Jan 2019
    Feb16: £142,480. April16: £138,900. July16: £132,242 Oct16: £129,824, July17: £115,841
    • bexster1975
    • By bexster1975 9th Sep 17, 8:00 PM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 4,847 Thanks
    bexster1975
    Ah Fortune, you have not met my OH. Some of your cons list sound quite familiar too

I'd like to clarify he has not declared an unhealthy interest in cows or sheep to my knowledge

Bexster
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 9th Sep 17, 9:48 PM
    • 2,104 Posts
    • 9,744 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Just catching up. A rescue Collie. How lovely. Those dogs are so darn smart.
    Treat bones. Lucky dog to be taken in by the Fortunes
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/November 2017=4,525
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 10th Sep 17, 7:29 AM
    • 427 Posts
    • 1,672 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Aww Fortune a dog ...I am desperate for a dog. Well done for taking in a rescue, I am sure he will settle soon with all the love and care he will get from you and Mr F x
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 10th Sep 17, 10:21 AM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 21,137 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    How lovely that you have a rescue collie :-) so do we.. she's still anxious, but we have coping strategies. She has a crate, and if men (one of her triggers) are visiting we tend to pop her in there, or the car - she loves the car. She hates eye contact, so we tell visitors to ignore her completely, and she also hates sudden movements so everything has to be gentle and slow. With us, she is a loving, obedient, soppy girl. With strangers I still wouldn't trust her. And we've had her a long time!!
    Good luck with yours - pic please!
    Originally posted by stepuptothepl8
    FDawg is getting a little better every day. I'm hoping he just needs patience and training.

Aww lovely news about the dog ^_^
    Pets are family so you can't really put a price on them, no need to worry about not being MSE!
    Originally posted by porgiegeorgie
    Good job PG - I'm too scared to look at the costs so far.

Ah Fortune, you have not met my OH. Some of your cons list sound quite familiar too

I'd like to clarify he has not declared an unhealthy interest in cows or sheep to my knowledge

Bexster
    Originally posted by bexster1975
    I'm very glad to hear that Bex

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 10th Sep 17, 10:25 AM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 21,137 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Just catching up. A rescue Collie. How lovely. Those dogs are so darn smart.
    Treat bones. Lucky dog to be taken in by the Fortunes
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Thanks DIA - he is a very clever chap. The treat bones are fab. They are rubber but have hollow ends which you can stuff with noms. It takes ages for him to get to all the goodies so brilliant for distracting him and adding some interest to his day.

Aww Fortune a dog ...I am desperate for a dog. Well done for taking in a rescue, I am sure he will settle soon with all the love and care he will get from you and Mr F x
    Originally posted by Busy Mee1
    I'm still getting used to things Busy. It's going to take me a while to settle in too Perhaps some treats for me would help

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 10th Sep 17, 10:49 AM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 21,137 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    It's all about you
    Yes, my life is still revolving around FDawg. He finally did a 'before bed' wee in the right place last night which I was ridiculously pleased about

We did some training after his walk and he now knows 'sit' and 'bed' really well, 'down' and 'stay' a bit and I've just introduced him to 'stand' which he finds very puzzling. He sits and waits while I put his dinner down and is also standing nicely to be brushed.

There was some barking and growling in the night which could have been attention seeking, play or alerting me to something. Our bedroom is above the kitchen where he sleeps so one 'Quiet' command was all that was needed to quiet him down.

Mr F comes home today so he's going to help with training FDawg to answer the door and greet visitors.

I tried a different technique with FDawg whilst walking him this morning and it seemed to work better in making him less interested in the livestock. It may be that he finds the cows a threat. It's something I really need to address along with establishing physical boundaries to his domain so I'm going to get some professional help. I've found someone local who is an ex-police dog trainer and have sent him an email. Once we've got the basics right with him I can think about taking him to classes. More spending but I think it's essential.

Today's priority - bath FDawg Although the weather is worsening so I might have to play it by ear.

I am a dog-bore already In other news...

A previous employer has contacted me about my defined salary pension scheme to offer me an enhanced transfer value. It doesn't look lucrative enough to compensate for what I'd lose but they are providing free financial advice so I'm going to look into it. I am planning to take my pension early so we can use the lump sum to OP, however, I'll need to balance this with potential future needs so some free financial advice would be good.

I've come to a standstill on unpacking and clearing the annex so will be putting my to do list to work this week.

Might have to change my flipflops for socks and slippers soon - my feet are cold I'm already in my big cardi

Fortune x

• badmemory
    • By badmemory 10th Sep 17, 12:27 PM
    • 962 Posts
    • 996 Thanks
    badmemory

A previous employer has contacted me about my defined salary pension scheme to offer me an enhanced transfer value. It doesn't look lucrative enough to compensate for what I'd lose but they are providing free financial advice so I'm going to look into it.
    Originally posted by Fortune Smiles
    Just delurking to tell you something I'm sure you already know. Make sure the financial advisor is an independent financial advisor & the only reason they offer this is to save them money. Sorry! I've been reading the pension forum too much!
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 11th Sep 17, 8:58 AM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 21,137 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Just delurking to tell you something I'm sure you already know. Make sure the financial advisor is an independent financial advisor & the only reason they offer this is to save them money. Sorry! I've been reading the pension forum too much!
    Originally posted by badmemory
    Thanks BM. Excellent advice. I used to work for a pensions/FA company so feel ok about making a decision. What I really need are the figures for the final salary scheme - value, lump sums, reductions for early retirement, etc for each year so I can make a proper comparison.

Fortune x

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Sep 17, 9:12 AM
    • 28,077 Posts
    • 154,407 Thanks
    Karmacat
    We *like* hearing about dogs And the ex police dog trainer is a super-interesting idea, hope that works out for you.
    Retired August 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

298Posts Today

1,553Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin