Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 19th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    • 2,594Posts
    • 21,403Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Tales from The Shire
    • 19th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    Tales from The Shire 19th Jul 17 at 10:11 AM
    Tales from the Shire

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
    J R R Tolkein

After many happy years in the Garden of England we have started a new adventure in The Shire. Although still reeling from the stress and upheaval of the house move, we can see the potential for a wonderful home and life here. It’s going to be amazing!

There is much to do and, as with any great journey, company is much appreciated. So I hope my forum friends will join me on the road.

A new chapter (and diary) has begun.

Fortune x

For those who are interested in how we got to be here, my previous diaries can be found at:

Two Pennies Left - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4068401
    The New Adventures of Fortune - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5605109
    Mortgage: 2.4% paid House Deposit Contribution: 88% Emergency Fund: 57%

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
Page 14
    • greent
    • By greent 17th Nov 17, 1:23 PM
    • 6,513 Posts
    • 65,714 Thanks
    greent
    I love FDawg as a name I did wonder whether the 'outing' was an accident - hence my comment and why I didn't quote your post
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5278/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1445.57/£500 PAYDOX17 £12239/£10k Decluttered 1870/2017 items
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 17th Nov 17, 6:23 PM
    • 2,594 Posts
    • 21,403 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    My lips are sealed too although it did make him sound cuter
    Originally posted by XSpender
    I love FDawg as a name I did wonder whether the 'outing' was an accident - hence my comment and why I didn't quote your post
    x
    Originally posted by greent
    Thanks guys. I think FDawg (short for Fortunate Dog of course) suits him. There is definitely something cartoonish about him

Fortune x

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 17th Nov 17, 6:46 PM
    • 2,594 Posts
    • 21,403 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    It's all go in The Shire
    It suddenly feels very busy here:
    • builders arrived this morning. All the materials and equipment are on site and they've got most of the roof off the outbuilding already. Glad to see the work started but not looking forward to all the mess and noise which will be going on for weeks and probably over Christmas now It will all be worth it, it will all be worth it, it will all...
    • FDawg had his second vet visit today. He was really anxious to start with but we ended with the vet feeding him turkey slices and petting him Need to give him worming and flea tablets over the next week - I think a hollowed out cocktail sausage is going to be the best vehicle All costs covered by the monthly plan payments
    • I have a friend staying over tomorrow so I popped in to M&$ whilst we were out and picked up some treats for us. Going to use this month's fun money to meet the cost as Mr F isn't here to share it with
    • returned a form to the Wayleave Department. We have electricity poles crossing our property and are entitled to some money for that apparently Not sure it will be much but happy to have a few extra pennies.
    • turned the heating on during the day for the first time today. It's been coming on for a couple of hours in the morning and the same in the evening but I've found it very cold today.
    My neighbours have a burst water pipe outside their house which is flooding the lane. The water company have been out but can't fix it for a couple of days apparently. Rather than leave my neighbours without water for that time they have decided that gallons of water flooding the lane and verges for days is the best option It's quite deep and you can't get around it so have to wade through. I have my wellies but FDawg doesn't and it will be freezing when we are out for our walk in the morning. Think we'll stick to the fields until it's fixed.

Feeling tired this evening as was up early to deal with the arrival of the builders. Might just go and cosy up with my electric blanket soon

Night night

Fortune x

• wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 17th Nov 17, 6:55 PM
    • 648 Posts
    • 2,581 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Such a lot going on Fortune.
    Remind me what the outbuilding is going to be?
    I can't keep up with everyone's renovations at the moment.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400)
    2017 July : £36,800 8/100 Aug: £36,411.85 8/100 Sep: £35,945.66 10/100 Oct: £35,500 11/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029
    Current mortgage free date: April 2025
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 17th Nov 17, 7:11 PM
    • 2,594 Posts
    • 21,403 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Such a lot going on Fortune.
    Remind me what the outbuilding is going to be?
    I can't keep up with everyone's renovations at the moment.
    Originally posted by wishingthemortgaheaway
    It's going to be Mr F's man shed Wishing (aka garage and storage).

Fortune x

• wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 17th Nov 17, 7:23 PM
    • 648 Posts
    • 2,581 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    It's going to be Mr F's man shed Wishing (aka garage and storage).

Fortune x
    Originally posted by Fortune Smiles

So you'll see him even less than you do now?
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400)
    2017 July : £36,800 8/100 Aug: £36,411.85 8/100 Sep: £35,945.66 10/100 Oct: £35,500 11/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029
    Current mortgage free date: April 2025
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 18th Nov 17, 9:47 AM
    • 28,180 Posts
    • 155,270 Thanks
    Karmacat
    It suddenly feels very busy here:
    • builders arrived this morning. All the materials and equipment are on site and they've got most of the roof off the outbuilding already. Glad to see the work started but not looking forward to all the mess and noise which will be going on for weeks and probably over Christmas now It will all be worth it, it will all be worth it, it will all...
    Honestly, I was *amazed* at what my builder did on the first day. My brick shed is only tiny, 8 x 6 feet, something like that, but he, all on his lonesome, got the old roof off, rejigged the brick edges of all three walls (its attached to the house) put in new supports for the new (resin and glass) roof, got the roof on and attached it. And that was just the first day, solo!

The guy in charge of the firm made a mistake (ie he didn't listen to what I wanted) so the whole of the second day was spent building a doorframe, to a specific size. Work has stopped there, cos the builder's ill, but I have every confidence a third day will finish that particular piece of work. And the new fence and side gate is complete too. The sound insulation inside the house, and the repointing, and the new loft hatch ... thats another story

Loving The Tails of FDawg (see what I did there )
    Retired August 2016
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 30th Nov 17, 7:45 PM
    • 2,594 Posts
    • 21,403 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    So you'll see him even less than you do now?
    Originally posted by wishingthemortgaheaway
    See who Wishing?

[/LIST]Honestly, I was *amazed* at what my builder did on the first day. My brick shed is only tiny, 8 x 6 feet, something like that, but he, all on his lonesome, got the old roof off, rejigged the brick edges of all three walls (its attached to the house) put in new supports for the new (resin and glass) roof, got the roof on and attached it. And that was just the first day, solo!

The guy in charge of the firm made a mistake (ie he didn't listen to what I wanted) so the whole of the second day was spent building a doorframe, to a specific size. Work has stopped there, cos the builder's ill, but I have every confidence a third day will finish that particular piece of work. And the new fence and side gate is complete too. The sound insulation inside the house, and the repointing, and the new loft hatch ... thats another story

Loving The Tails of FDawg (see what I did there )
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Just popped into your diary Karma and all sounds as though it's going well. What a difference it's going to make for you.

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 30th Nov 17, 8:30 PM
    • 2,594 Posts
    • 21,403 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Through the Worst
    My light cold left me with an annoying, exhausting cough and constant heartburn - as if the usual cold symptoms weren't enough

Anyhoo, I am through the worst and can start getting on with things:

Clean all the Things

Despite the cough, I am almost on top of the cleaning

Unpack All The Things!

No progress but the landing boxes are top of the list for tomorrow

Barn Raise

The old building has been stripped back to the steel and a sub-contractor arrived today to start shot-blasting and painting the frame. I did feel sorry for them out in the freezing wind and snow flurries but some hot cups of tea and chocolate biscuits seemed to bolster their spirits and they are about half way through the job. Hopefully it won't be too cold for the paint to dry tomorrow. The builders are hoping to put the new roof on Monday

Pay Off The Mortgage

OPs are on schedule to start in March.

The emergency fund now stands at 57% but I don't think I'll be able to add anything more to it until after Christmas because...

we visited a local antiques warehouse at the weekend and found the perfect chairs for the extra seating we need in the living room. Just the right size and exactly the same colour as our current suite. Not an opportunity that's likely to come up again so we bit the bullet and bought them. Happy with the decision as everyone will now have a seat over Christmas but it has wiped out the budget.

Help

Our house deposit contribution for DS1 is now at 88%.

In other MS news:

FDawg had two emergency visits to the vet One because he developed a bad limp after our morning walk Turned out he'd probably dislocated a toe so nothing too serious. However, he had a serious reaction to the painkillers they gave him So I spent a horrible, horrible night on the 'phone to the vet and watching him suffer and took him for a second emergency appointment the next morning. He is absolutely fine now and happily pinching things to put in his bed as usual. I've started wearing my warm sheepskin slippers now the weather's turned colder and those are his favourite things to steal at the moment. The vet bill was £75 which was a relief as I was expecting much worse.

I'm pretty much there with Christmas stuff and have managed to get everything in the sales and via cash back sites. I've cashed in any vouchers and account credits too. Good job too as there isn't much left to play with now

It's been bitterly cold here for the last couple of days. The heating is currently on for 2 hours in the morning and 3.5 hours in the evening but I think I'll keep it on until we go to bed this evening. I'm worried about FDawg getting cold in the kitchen overnight. Although I tucked him up under a blanket last night and, as soon as I wasn't looking he wriggled it off and stamped on it

Really appreciating the log burner right now and the huge bag of off-cuts we bought to feed it are lasting well. Also really appreciating my electric blanket

Stay warm and well peeps.

Fortune x
    Last edited by Fortune Smiles; 30-11-2017 at 8:34 PM.

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 1st Dec 17, 6:32 PM
    • 2,594 Posts
    • 21,403 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Slowly, slowy
    The cough is almost gone now and I can feel my energy returning

I decided not to unpack the landing boxes after all and cleaned the dining room instead. I'd like to put up some Christmas decorations over the weekend so needed to get rid of some dust and dirt first. I particularly needed to clean the french windows as, somehow, several rows of nose prints have appeared on the panes

The sub-contractors have finished and we now have a solid frame to work on. Hopefully the roof will be going on this week and then we have the noisiest part where they dig up the old concrete floor The builders are hoping to be finished by Christmas

Mr F is away at a works Christmas do this evening so I had a quick fish and chips from the freezer for supper. Cooked a proper lunch though - Easy Cheese & Onion Slice. It's huge! Will probably do for lunch for the next two days or more.

I've been experimenting with the heating. We don't have a room thermostat, just thermostatic radiator valves. Some rooms are too cold and others too hot so I've had a play around with them. It does seem warmer here today and we had some sunshine which helped to warm the south side of the house. I'll have a check of the heating oil level tomorrow but I think we'll probably be ok until after Christmas.

Have a good weekend all. I'm off to rescue Mr F's slippers from a certain someone's bed

Fortune x

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Dec 17, 12:26 PM
    • 28,180 Posts
    • 155,270 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Sounds like you're having a fine time

I was with a couple of dogs for one of the days of my trip away, and it was utterly blissful! I'm loving FDawg, sorry to hear he was taken so ill by the painkiller it's awful to see them suffering.
    Retired August 2016
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 5th Dec 17, 7:34 PM
    • 2,594 Posts
    • 21,403 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Sounds like you're having a fine time

I was with a couple of dogs for one of the days of my trip away, and it was utterly blissful! I'm loving FDawg, sorry to hear he was taken so ill by the painkiller it's awful to see them suffering.
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Thanks Karma. FDawg is such a good boy and keeps me entertained with his petty thievery. Today he took a pine cone from the hearth for his bed - putting his Christmas decorations up maybe

Fortune x

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Dec 17, 7:42 PM
    • 49,045 Posts
    • 182,088 Thanks
    beanielou
    Thanks Karma. FDawg is such a good boy and keeps me entertained with his petty thievery. Today he took a pine cone from the hearth for his bed - putting his Christmas decorations up maybe

Fortune x
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 5th Dec 17, 9:00 PM
    • 2,594 Posts
    • 21,403 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Back in the game
    I still have the last gasp of the cold but am making good progress:

Clean all the Things!

All going to plan and the Christmas decorations are up I've had to stretch them as we have bigger rooms here and they look a bit meagre. But I'll just add a little to them each year as I did at the old house.

Unpack all the Things!

I started unpacking the landing boxes today Two down, two to go. It's mainly books so easy to place but they seem to have multiplied whilst in storage

Barn Raise

We have half a roof It looks fab and we're really pleased with the colour we choose as it just fades into the sky and looks far less obtrusive than the previous one. The builders plan to finish the other half tomorrow, weather permitting. They won't be here on Thursday so we get a break from all the coming and going and noise for a day But back on Friday when some concrete breaking is planned Not looking forward to that but it will be the noisiest, messiest part of the work over.

Pay Off the Mortgage/Help

Nothing much to report here except that the usual day to day MS habits continue.

I decanted the damson gin today and made up some gift bottles for my neighbours. Might help to make up for some of the noise they've had to put up with Mr F and I have decided to buy each other a small gift so that we have something to open on Christmas Day but apart from that any other presents have been bought. The Christmas cake is made and I've bought the ingredients ready to immortalise FDawg and his friends the sheep in icing for the top

Happy Tuesday all

Fortune x

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Dec 17, 9:06 PM
    • 49,045 Posts
    • 182,088 Thanks
    beanielou
    All sounding good
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 6th Dec 17, 9:46 PM
    • 3,936 Posts
    • 43,554 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    The Christmas cake is made and I've bought the ingredients ready to immortalise FDawg and his friends the sheep in icing for the top

Anyone else getting THIS image of Fortune's chrimbobs cake...............

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 8th Dec 17, 9:41 PM
    • 4,737 Posts
    • 26,832 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Love it.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,389.12, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,055.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5k/5.5k & £130/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 7/32 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 8th Dec 17, 10:16 PM
    • 3,212 Posts
    • 28,224 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Thinking of you today and wondering how much, if any, snow you have had, we at the southern end have only had a few sprinklings, and that is the way that I like it.

Miss Border Collie was totally unimpressed with it and put the anchors of fully when invited to go into the garden for a wee
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 9th Dec 17, 4:39 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 6,237 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    I’ve just had a lovely time catching up with your tales of FDawg. Thank you for sharing, he sounds like a right character. Glad to hear you’re feeling better too.
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 9th Dec 17, 6:55 PM
    • 2,594 Posts
    • 21,403 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Anyone else getting THIS image of Fortune's chrimbobs cake...............

Greying X
    Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim
    Love it.
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    I think you may be over-estimating my cake decorating abilities

Fortune x

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,225Posts Today

6,744Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin