Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 19th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    • 2,549Posts
    • 20,952Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Tales from The Shire
    • 19th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    Tales from The Shire 19th Jul 17 at 10:11 AM
    Tales from the Shire

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
    J R R Tolkein

After many happy years in the Garden of England we have started a new adventure in The Shire. Although still reeling from the stress and upheaval of the house move, we can see the potential for a wonderful home and life here. It’s going to be amazing!

There is much to do and, as with any great journey, company is much appreciated. So I hope my forum friends will join me on the road.

A new chapter (and diary) has begun.

Fortune x

For those who are interested in how we got to be here, my previous diaries can be found at:

Two Pennies Left - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4068401
    The New Adventures of Fortune - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5605109
    Mortgage: 1.2% paid House Deposit Contribution: 80%

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
Page 12
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 11th Oct 17, 10:44 AM
    • 2,549 Posts
    • 20,952 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Hey Big Spender
    Yes that's me All to budget and to plan though

I went to WI on Monday and there was another new person there who has also just moved to the Shire. We have agreed to meet up for coffee and she may be able to help me out with dog sitting too I spent £1 on a raffle ticket and won a beautiful orange begonia. New friend bought me a glass of wine so no other spends

I pooled all my budget savings and sales money to buy some household items in the Laura A$hl£y sale - a rug and curtains for our bedroom and a storage basket. The rug and curtains were half price and I used a £10 off code too. Went through TCB but don't know whether that will track due to using the extra code.

So a few more items off the needs/wants list and the bedroom should feel cosier now. It's the least inviting room in the house at the moment so it will be nice to hygge it up before the winter arrives. I'm so pleased I'm managing to progress things despite having a tighter budget than usual.

I have 9 Bay of E items ending today of which 4 have bids and I'm still aiming to list another 2 things a day. We have some J0hn L£wi$ vouchers coming soon and I'd like to be able to add to those to get Mr F a shaving mirror for the bathroom.

I've had to go out this morning to walk FDawg but will be avoiding this grey, drizzly weather as much as possible today. Plenty of dusting to be done inside

Have a great Wednesday all

Fortune x

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Oct 17, 3:12 PM
    • 47,812 Posts
    • 173,592 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great news on the bedroom
    Laughing at the dog having your purse in his bed
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • greent
    • By greent 11th Oct 17, 3:52 PM
    • 6,300 Posts
    • 63,856 Thanks
    greent
    He's getting there Wishing - he's more like a toddler than a companion at the moment. Yesterday, he stole my purse from my handbag and put it in his bed Maybe he is an MS dog and was trying to stop me spending
    Originally posted by Fortune Smiles
    This greatly amused me!
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £4607/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1202.80/£500 PAYDOX17 £11635/£10k Decluttered 1650/2017 items
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 11th Oct 17, 5:28 PM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 26,094 Thanks
    in need of direction
    l'd just like to know what prompted you to check his bed!
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,993.50, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,035.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5k/5.5k & £90/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 6/34 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 12th Oct 17, 11:38 AM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 6,024 Thanks
    themadvix
    Yes that's me All to budget and to plan though

I pooled all my budget savings and sales money to buy some household items in the Laura A$hl£y sale - a rug and curtains for our bedroom and a storage basket. The rug and curtains were half price and I used a £10 off code too. Went through TCB but don't know whether that will track due to using the extra code.
    Originally posted by Fortune Smiles
    I find it so satisfying when your selling efforts turn into tangible benefits

FDawg sounds like hard work! But lovely!
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance June 2017: £99,974
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 12th Oct 17, 10:19 PM
    • 1,996 Posts
    • 9,137 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Well shopped Fortune
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/September 2017=5,250
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 13th Oct 17, 10:11 AM
    • 2,549 Posts
    • 20,952 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Great news on the bedroom
    Laughing at the dog having your purse in his bed
    Originally posted by beanielou
    l'd just like to know what prompted you to check his bed!
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    This greatly amused me!
    Originally posted by greent
    It's the first place I look if anything's missing now Yesterday, he took an aeroplane shaped stress toy from Mr F's desk and a mobile phone case from the bag I'd put aside for the charity shop.

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 13th Oct 17, 10:18 AM
    • 2,549 Posts
    • 20,952 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    I find it so satisfying when your selling efforts turn into tangible benefits

FDawg sounds like hard work! But lovely!
    Originally posted by themadvix
    I do feel very pleased with myself Madvix and I win twice. More money to spend on home improvements and less clutter in the annex

FDawg is very good generally. His issues are around fear and anxiety and the solution may just be time and patience. Just wish I could get him to understand that he's safe now and everything's going to be ok.

Well shopped Fortune
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Love a bargain DIA and Laura A$hl£y really do drop their prices during the sales.

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 13th Oct 17, 10:33 AM
    • 2,549 Posts
    • 20,952 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Project Progress
    I made some more sales on the Bay so have used the money to buy a water softener for the en-suite and some chalk paint. That leaves me with enough for FDawg's vet appointment. Any further sales will now go towards a shaving mirror for Mr F.

I listed a high value item yesterday but think I'll concentrate on clearing some bulky things next to get rid of some large boxes. I don't mind what I get for them as long as they are collected and taken off my hands. I've also got quite a few things set aside now for the charity shop.

The chalk paint arrived this morning - I only ordered it yesterday So I'm going to paint the stools tomorrow. I ordered two other colours which I had in mind for other projects so I'm ready to go when I come across the right furniture.

Today I will mostly be packaging up Bay parcels and going to the Post Office

Happy Friday all

Fortune x

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Oct 17, 3:31 PM
    • 47,812 Posts
    • 173,592 Thanks
    beanielou
    Happy Friday

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • greent
    • By greent 13th Oct 17, 4:02 PM
    • 6,300 Posts
    • 63,856 Thanks
    greent
    Brilliant 'baying!
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £4607/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1202.80/£500 PAYDOX17 £11635/£10k Decluttered 1650/2017 items
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 21st Oct 17, 9:15 PM
    • 2,549 Posts
    • 20,952 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Just goes to show...
    one man's trash is another man's treasure. Some of the items I listed on the Bay just to be rid of them have turned out to be my best sellers So I now have enough to buy Mr F his shaving mirror

My next home improvement goal is a kitchen bin that will handle both general rubbish and recycling. My old Ik£a recycling bins were great but I don't have anywhere to keep them now and they are living outside and being blown around the courtyard every time the wind gets up. They are not designed to be outdoor bins either so keep filling up with water and attracting flies The bin I'd like is quite expensive though so it might take me a while to save for it.

There was no charge for FDawg's first vet visit but I did sign up to the payment plan for his routine visits and treatments. It will save me about £70 per year Our session with the dog trainer was very helpful and well worth the money. I've booked a follow up visit for next month but it will be for a shorter time and cost a lot less.

Mr F is finally home but very jet lagged so we are snuggled up in front of the log burner with a glass of wine after a supper of Cod & Chorizo Stew with crusty bread and butter. We have discovered the fire burns really well when it's windy outside - just as well really

Happy weekend everyone

Fortune x

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 21st Oct 17, 9:46 PM
    • 47,812 Posts
    • 173,592 Thanks
    beanielou
    Enjoy your evening

• brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 21st Oct 17, 10:29 PM
    • 7,126 Posts
    • 34,544 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Sounding lovely. Am sure you'll get there with Fdawg

Xxx
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    October '17 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [August 33%]
    Declutter 100 items before 31.10.17 40/100 ** LSDs Target 5 for October 0x/05 **AFDs xx/15 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £225 so far
    **NSDs Target 5 for October xx/05 Trying to be a Frugalista
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 22nd Oct 17, 7:04 PM
    • 1,892 Posts
    • 12,690 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    I'm always amazed at what sells well on fleabay. There's no logic to me. So I've now taken to listing everything again and again and it seems to go, you just need the right person to look at it It helps so much with the cash coming in too, every little helps as they say. Lovely to have a goal to work towards (plus it gives me an excuse for an extra line on my spreadsheet ) We decided last week to save for a new computer so in a box went and we have 10.51 in there at the moment, but I sold 4 items on fleabay last night so a bit more will go in too.

You seemed to have settled in so well, particularly considering Mr F has been away and the arrival of pooch. I'm so pleased it's worked out for you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

199Posts Today

1,493Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin