Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 19th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    • 2,549Posts
    • 20,953Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Tales from The Shire
    • 19th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    Tales from The Shire 19th Jul 17 at 10:11 AM
    Tales from the Shire

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
    J R R Tolkein

After many happy years in the Garden of England we have started a new adventure in The Shire. Although still reeling from the stress and upheaval of the house move, we can see the potential for a wonderful home and life here. It’s going to be amazing!

There is much to do and, as with any great journey, company is much appreciated. So I hope my forum friends will join me on the road.

A new chapter (and diary) has begun.

Fortune x

For those who are interested in how we got to be here, my previous diaries can be found at:

Two Pennies Left - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4068401
    The New Adventures of Fortune - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5605109
    Mortgage: 1.2% paid House Deposit Contribution: 80%

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
Page 11
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 27th Sep 17, 6:29 PM
    • 27,866 Posts
    • 152,742 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hope you find someone Fortune. I think you're right to want reviews. When my brother and his wife were out all day and got a puppy, they left him with a sitter during the day, but now they think the sitter has created some behavioural problems for him. What about the vet that you're using for him? Do they have recommendations? When I had my cats, the elder one got diabetes, and I couldn't ask a catsitting service to do the injections (when I was on holiday), so I paid a nurse at the practice to do the catsitting and the injections, it was a really good arrangement.
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 27th Sep 17, 7:18 PM
    • 47,817 Posts
    • 173,681 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hurrah for the 5 lbs ( but boo for giving it to me!)
    Dog walker/ sitter/ doggy day care is a great idea.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Debtslayer
    • By Debtslayer 27th Sep 17, 9:48 PM
    • 405 Posts
    • 564 Thanks
    Debtslayer
    Hi
    I've pm'd you the name of the dog trainer
    Sorry I can't be any help with dog sitter / walker
    Current Mortgage 01.10.17 £113,513.88
    MFW Start Mortgage: £114,794.64
    Current MED: 2036 Target MED: 2026
    Overpayment Target for remainder of 2017: £2,000
    Mortgage overpayment savings: £473.20
    MFW No 124
    • greent
    • By greent 28th Sep 17, 9:18 AM
    • 6,300 Posts
    • 63,860 Thanks
    greent
    with all the extra walking I've lost 5lbs
    Originally posted by Fortune Smiles
    Bonus!

Although not so good to hear that Mr FS will be away for much of the remainder of the year

I don't blame you for having a lazy day - does us all good to do that once in a while, imo

xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £4607/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1202.80/£500 PAYDOX17 £11635/£10k Decluttered 1650/2017 items
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 28th Sep 17, 12:31 PM
    • 47,817 Posts
    • 173,681 Thanks
    beanielou
    I have too many lazy days!

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 28th Sep 17, 2:07 PM
    • 2,549 Posts
    • 20,953 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Hope you find someone Fortune. I think you're right to want reviews. When my brother and his wife were out all day and got a puppy, they left him with a sitter during the day, but now they think the sitter has created some behavioural problems for him. What about the vet that you're using for him? Do they have recommendations? When I had my cats, the elder one got diabetes, and I couldn't ask a catsitting service to do the injections (when I was on holiday), so I paid a nurse at the practice to do the catsitting and the injections, it was a really good arrangement.
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    That's a brilliant idea Karma - I'll ask them. Thank you

Hurrah for the 5 lbs ( but boo for giving it to me!)
    Dog walker/ sitter/ doggy day care is a great idea.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Sorry Beanie - I'll try not to accidentally lose any more

Hi
    I've pm'd you the name of the dog trainer
    Sorry I can't be any help with dog sitter / walker
    Originally posted by Debtslayer
    It's him Debtslayer! I can't wait for our session.

Fortune x

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 28th Sep 17, 2:09 PM
    • 2,549 Posts
    • 20,953 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Bonus!

Although not so good to hear that Mr FS will be away for much of the remainder of the year

I don't blame you for having a lazy day - does us all good to do that once in a while, imo

xx
    Originally posted by greent
    I have too many lazy days!
    I am feeling refreshed after my lazy day so perhaps it was needed. Maybe you can never have too many

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 6th Oct 17, 8:35 PM
    • 2,549 Posts
    • 20,953 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Bucking the trend
    An absence from my diary usually results in a lack of focus. However, I'm happy to say I am bucking the trend My mind is firmly on money and the saving and spending thereof:
    • all necessary purchases have been carefully considered and researched to get best value
    • cashback sites used where available
    • vouchers exchanged
    • budgets maintained or savings made
    • 2 sale items listed each day...

...can you see my halo shining

It seems the less money I have, the better I get at managing it

In FDawg news, he seems to be settling into a routine and is a much happier pooch than the one we first bought home. There's still a long way to go and I'm looking forward to our session with the dog trainer. Still no luck with a sitter though

Mr F and I have a day of lifting and shifting to look forward to tomorrow. We have to clear the outbuilding ready for work to start. I'm hoping to discover some more Bay of E items as my listings are going well at the moment. I've managed to put us back in the black for this month from the proceeds

Mr F leaves for a long trip on Sunday so I have been planning some projects to keep me occupied in his absence. I bought some bar stools for the kitchen from a charity shop recently and want to freshen them up with some chalk paint so that will do for a start. My kitchen has oak units and black and cream tiles and I think it needs a splash of colour. I'm thinking Autentico's Green Tea

I may be taking to my bed soon. I had the flu jab yesterday and it always wipes me out for a couple of days. I went to bed at 7.00 pm last night I'm such a wimp.

Hope everyone is well. Night, night.

Fortune x

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 6th Oct 17, 8:43 PM
    • 1,998 Posts
    • 9,138 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    It seems the less money I have, the better I get at managing it
    Originally posted by Fortune Smiles
    How I wish this was me too...
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/September 2017=5,250
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Oct 17, 8:51 PM
    • 47,817 Posts
    • 173,681 Thanks
    beanielou
    Blimey.
    I was just thinking about you.
    Glad all is well & dog settling in.
    Hope you get a sitter soon & the training goes well.

• in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 7th Oct 17, 11:19 AM
    • 4,648 Posts
    • 26,107 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Would the trainer know of a dog sitter?
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,993.50, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,035.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5k/5.5k & £90/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 6/34 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 7th Oct 17, 8:36 PM
    • 2,549 Posts
    • 20,953 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    How I wish this was me too...
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    I only hope it lasts DIA

Blimey.
    I was just thinking about you.
    Glad all is well & dog settling in.
    Hope you get a sitter soon & the training goes well.
    Thanks Beanie. I'm sure everything will get sorted soon.

Would the trainer know of a dog sitter?
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    I'll definitely ask when I see him INOD. I'm asking everyone I see

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 7th Oct 17, 8:49 PM
    • 2,549 Posts
    • 20,953 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Yaaaawn
    Well that was an exhausting day. We rearranged the annex to make room for all the garage stuff from the out building. Heavy work and it took all day. The outbuilding is almost clear now though. Just a few more wheelbarrow's worth I can manage on my own if needed whilst Mr F is away. He's packing now

Supper was Smoked Haddock Gratin with chips I'd run out of energy to do anything more gourmet to have with it Followed by Banoffee No-Churn Ice Cream. Another of my favorite recipes for using up sulky bananas. The recipe is so simple, makes loads and it's deeeeelicious. I made it a few days ago but felt like we'd earned a pudding today

I bought a few things in from the annex for Baying so will list those tomorrow. I'm not planning to do anything too physical... I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to move by the morning

Off to bed again soon. I know how to spend a Saturday night

Fortune x

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Oct 17, 8:57 PM
    • 47,817 Posts
    • 173,681 Thanks
    beanielou
    I am going after causalty

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th Oct 17, 10:04 AM
    • 27,866 Posts
    • 152,742 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Aw, sorry Mr Fortune's off today - you sound like you've got the time well planned for, I hope it all goes okay. Take yourself out for the odd cuppa coffee, its allowed
    Retired August 2016
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 8th Oct 17, 3:14 PM
    • 2,549 Posts
    • 20,953 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    I am going after causalty
    For a moment there Beanie I thought you meant you were off to A&E

Aw, sorry Mr Fortune's off today - you sound like you've got the time well planned for, I hope it all goes okay. Take yourself out for the odd cuppa coffee, its allowed
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    I will take your advice Karma... might have started already

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 8th Oct 17, 3:46 PM
    • 2,549 Posts
    • 20,953 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Lazy Bones
    It was an early start to see Mr F off this morning - I was walking FDawg before the sun came up I made it a long, active walk to wear him out a bit and it must have worked as he was still very sleepy at lunchtime when we usually go out for a trip round the bay.

Freed me up for a very lazy morning. I lit the fire, caught up on some TV and scoffed the remaining ice cream

I've not done much this afternoon either - just a bit of vacuuming and replenishing of log baskets. I did manage to get a couple more items on the Bay though. I'm up to about £80 which is brilliant as FDawg has his first vet visit this month and I hadn't budgeted for that

FDawg has flopped himself down on the living room floor for a nap - I must have really tired him out this morning. He finds it very difficult to settle unless on a lead so I'm taking the opportunity of a quiet house to let him pace around and quieten down of his own accord. I think this is the first time he's managed it

Another long walk is planned later and a lazy evening doing nothing

Ooops - spoke too soon, he's up again

Fortune x

• wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 8th Oct 17, 6:51 PM
    • 464 Posts
    • 1,803 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    I bet fdawg is great company for you when me F is away.
    And those lovely long walks you just have to take..
    Have a lovely relaxing evening.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400)
    2017 July : £36,800 8/100 August: £36,411.85 8/100 September: £35,945.66 10/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029
    Current mortgage free date: April 2025
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Oct 17, 7:07 PM
    • 47,817 Posts
    • 173,681 Thanks
    beanielou
    Enjoy your relaxing evening

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 11th Oct 17, 9:40 AM
    • 2,549 Posts
    • 20,953 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    I bet fdawg is great company for you when me F is away.
    And those lovely long walks you just have to take..
    Have a lovely relaxing evening.
    Originally posted by wishingthemortgaheaway
    He's getting there Wishing - he's more like a toddler than a companion at the moment. Yesterday, he stole my purse from my handbag and put it in his bed Maybe he is an MS dog and was trying to stop me spending

Enjoy your relaxing evening
    Thank you Beanie. The house needs cosying up a bit still but the log burner really helps.

Fortune x

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,910Posts Today

8,911Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin