Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 19th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    • 2,530Posts
    • 20,809Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Tales from The Shire
    • 19th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    Tales from The Shire 19th Jul 17 at 10:11 AM
    Tales from the Shire

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
    J R R Tolkein

After many happy years in the Garden of England we have started a new adventure in The Shire. Although still reeling from the stress and upheaval of the house move, we can see the potential for a wonderful home and life here. It’s going to be amazing!

There is much to do and, as with any great journey, company is much appreciated. So I hope my forum friends will join me on the road.

A new chapter (and diary) has begun.

Fortune x

For those who are interested in how we got to be here, my previous diaries can be found at:

Two Pennies Left - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4068401
    The New Adventures of Fortune - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5605109
    Mortgage: 0.94% paid House Deposit Contribution: 72%

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
Page 10
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 11th Sep 17, 9:12 AM
    • 7,071 Posts
    • 34,189 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    From another flip flip lover - I share your distress at having to shift footwear. I am moving to socks too had to light the fire too yesterday as so darn cold. Stormy overnight too, but not like the Caribbean so am definitely not complaining.

Pleased FDawg is settling well. Yes please to pics
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    September '17 Savings Rate Goal: 33% [August 33%]
    Declutter 100 items before 30.09.17 35/100 ** LSDs Target 5 for September 02/05 **AFDs 09/15 ** Sales Target '17 Ł750 Ł225 so far
    **NSDs Target 5 for September 01/05 Trying to be a Frugalista
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 11th Sep 17, 9:33 AM
    • 2,530 Posts
    • 20,809 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Back to the Future
    Time for a refocus so MS stuff first:
    • Mr F and I had a chat about priorities for the rest of the year. We have enough money for the outbuilding repairs and about 50% of the emergency fund we'd like to save. However, winter is coming and there are some things we're going to need to keep us warm and dry in the coming months
    • so, in light of the above, we have bought a log store and some garden storage for the courtyard
    • I have taken Jessy's advice and bought a crate for FDawg. He is exploring more as his confidence grows and has tangled himself up in his lead a couple of times. I don't want to risk this happening whilst we are out so a crate is the answer
    • FDawg is not interested in toys (yet) but he is very treat focused so I have bought him a throw and find toy with a treat bag attached. I did think about making one of these myself but was worried it wouldn't be robust enough and, therefore, unsafe
    • someone has contacted me about an item I listed on FB a while ago. They want me to post it so I'll sort that out today. It's only a few pounds but they are better in my pocket and it's one less item in the annex
    • Farmer Giles arrived yesterday with sheep We've been talking to him about putting sheep in the field but he'd said he wanted to cut for silage first. Apparently it is too wet for that so the sheep are going straight in. The grass really does need keeping down and we've come to an arrangement where Farmer Giles will maintain the field and boundaries for us in lieu of rent.
    In FDawg news (for those that are interested) he:
    • greeted Mr F very calmly
    • had a bath My house smells so much better now I would highly recommend the camping shower. It was easy to use, held enough water for the job and will be invaluable for cleaning off muddy paws or boots - good value I'd say. It was a little chilly for him though so I think I might use a mobile groomer over the winter or until the outbuilding is ready and we can take him in there
    • went in the field with the sheep. He was interested in them and I think he certainly would chase them at the moment if he could but he wasn't straining to get to them or anything

All in all, I think he coped with a quite an intense day very well

Better get on.

Fortune x

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 11th Sep 17, 9:43 AM
    • 2,530 Posts
    • 20,809 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    We *like* hearing about dogs And the ex police dog trainer is a super-interesting idea, hope that works out for you.
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    I've had a response from the dog trainer Karma. He sounds great so I'm going to give him a call to talk further.

From another flip flip lover - I share your distress at having to shift footwear. I am moving to socks too had to light the fire too yesterday as so darn cold. Stormy overnight too, but not like the Caribbean so am definitely not complaining.

Pleased FDawg is settling well. Yes please to pics
    Originally posted by brizzledfw
    It's pretty grim here too Brizzle - although I'm not complaining either having seen the news this morning.

We have yet to try out our log burner. Although I felt a bit chilly yesterday morning, the house seems well insulated and, by the afternoon, it has warmed up just from the general household activity. I'm hoping our heating bills will be low as a result.

I'm not sure how to go about pics now Ph0t0buckŁt has started charging. I seem to remember Greying had solved that problem though so hopefully will be able to advise.

Fortune x

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Sep 17, 10:23 AM
    • 27,710 Posts
    • 151,408 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I use flickr (or rather, I'm about to!) for my blogs. But its a yahoo service, which is changing hands, so I don't know if they're going to be charging too ...
    Retired August 2016
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 11th Sep 17, 3:44 PM
    • 3,775 Posts
    • 41,582 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    I'm not sure how to go about pics now Ph0t0buckŁt has started charging. I seem to remember Greying had solved that problem though so hopefully will be able to advise.

Fortune x
    Originally posted by Fortune Smiles
    I do use fl1ckr, but I'm not happy about it I think it is a service more tailored towards amateur or semi-pro photographers who want to share their pictures for the technical aspect of photography - not for sharing 'information' pictures of 'us tea' - which have no technical photography merit whatsoever. For all its faults, pbucket was the sort of service that I required - and I'm amazed that technology hasn't found a way to circumvent the taking up of bandwidth problems that they cited as the need to start charging for their service. The charges are too high for the type of pictures that most folk want to upload to general interest forums.

I'm happy to help Fortune, but I'm thinking of pretty much mothballing my account. But then I'm not providing pictures of kittens or puppies. The world needs to see more pictures of kittens and puppies

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 11th Sep 17, 8:26 PM
    • 2,530 Posts
    • 20,809 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    I use flickr (or rather, I'm about to!) for my blogs. But its a yahoo service, which is changing hands, so I don't know if they're going to be charging too ...
    I do use fl1ckr, but I'm not happy about it I think it is a service more tailored towards amateur or semi-pro photographers who want to share their pictures for the technical aspect of photography - not for sharing 'information' pictures of 'us tea' - which have no technical photography merit whatsoever. For all its faults, pbucket was the sort of service that I required - and I'm amazed that technology hasn't found a way to circumvent the taking up of bandwidth problems that they cited as the need to start charging for their service. The charges are too high for the type of pictures that most folk want to upload to general interest forums.

I'm happy to help Fortune, but I'm thinking of pretty much mothballing my account. But then I'm not providing pictures of kittens or puppies. The world needs to see more pictures of kittens and puppies

Greying X
    Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I don't want to open a special account or make my photos available to the whole world so I'm going to give it a miss for now.

Fortune x

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Sep 17, 8:41 PM
    • 47,202 Posts
    • 169,556 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad that your new addition is settling in well.
    Crate will be fab for him.
    Sock weather here too sadly.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 11th Sep 17, 9:20 PM
    • 2,530 Posts
    • 20,809 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Where did the day go?
    I don't seem to have got very much accomplished today:
    • menu planned for the week. Shallots, runner beans and Bramleys will be featuring heavily
    • did the on-line grocery shop. Only spent about half the budget as Mr F is away again from tomorrow and we have the benefit of some garden produce
    • ordered a couple of essential oils to help with any doggy odour and also to keep the flies off my clean washing They don't like lavender apparently so I'm going to put a few drops in my wash. They are Autumn flies - horrid things. I hadn't come across them before moving here and we have a lot of them because of the cattle
    • put up FDawgs crate. It's enormous He's not too bothered about it and, although I don't like to see him in it, I know it will keep him safe
    • we had pitta pizzas for lunch to use up some bits and pieces in the fridge. Supper was Steamed Fish & Pak Choi Parcels with rice
    • I couldn't find the FB item. It may have gone to the charity shop before the move
    • bagged up Mr F's foreign currency so he can take it on the next relevant trip. He has eight different kinds.

FDawg had a wee accident earlier He's been out 5 times today! I think sometimes he's too anxious and sometimes too excited to go when he has the chance. Thank goodness for TŁ$c0's pet odour remover - it's a godsend Maybe I should have waited to get the kitchen floor cleaned

Fortune x

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 11th Sep 17, 9:38 PM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 8,513 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    ]ordered a couple of essential oils to help with any doggy odour and also to keep the flies off my clean washing They don't like lavender apparently so I'm going to put a few drops in my wash.
    Originally posted by Fortune Smiles
    Great tip Fortune. So copying this
    Have a good week.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/September 2017=6,448
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 12th Sep 17, 8:52 AM
    • 2,530 Posts
    • 20,809 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Great tip Fortune. So copying this
    Have a good week.
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    I haven't tried it yet DIA - too wet here to put any washing out at the moment. I'm hoping it works but, if not, at least I'll have lovely smelling washing

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 13th Sep 17, 8:17 PM
    • 2,530 Posts
    • 20,809 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Admin
    I've had a couple of days of routine chores and admin so nothing much to report:
    • booked an experience day for Mr F and DS2. We'd promised to do this for his 30th birthday present but found there were no dates left for the experience we wanted. Some more were released yesterday so I got in there quick I'd put aside the money for it before we moved and it's come in a bit cheaper so that's a bonus
    • started pulling together information for all the various pensions and benefits Mr F and I are entitled to so that I have the full picture before speaking to an FA
    • supper for the last couple of nights has been Chorizo, New Potato & Haddock One-Pot. I prefer to make this in the oven though, roasting the potatoes for 20 mins before adding all the other ingredients and putting back in the oven for another 20-30 minutes as required. So much easier and quicker
    • researched water softeners to go in the shower and found one which has good reviews and looks very good value. Just need to measure up to make sure it will fit
    • I ordered another pair of the successful jeans from Mark$. The black pair I bought are better for going out and not so practical for wearing around the house. I also ordered two pairs of cuffed hem pyjama bottoms. I have a pair already and they are ideal on hard floors and when taking FDawg out first thing. All my other pyjama bottoms are wide leg and, because I'm such a short ar$Ł, they drag on the floor and are getting filthy. The cuffed hem type tend to be warmer too - it was a bit chilly this morning Costs will be met from my personal spends.

Much of my time seems to be spent feeding, walking, entertaining and generally keeping an eye on FDawg. I'm gradually extending his free roaming time but he still needs supervision - today he went in my handbag and stole my tissues His cheeky side is starting to emerge and he's showing more interest in toys. Mr F is home tomorrow for a week so can help keep me keep an eye on him.

Tomorrow I shall be exploring the annex for Bay of E potential

Where is the week going guys?

Fortune x

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th Sep 17, 10:54 AM
    • 27,710 Posts
    • 151,408 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Handbags are interesting, aren't they! When I was catsitting last week, the shyer one of the two cats decided to wriggle *inside* my handbag. I have pictures! I'll put them up on my cat website eventually
    Retired August 2016
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 14th Sep 17, 11:42 AM
    • 2,530 Posts
    • 20,809 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Handbags are interesting, aren't they! When I was catsitting last week, the shyer one of the two cats decided to wriggle *inside* my handbag. I have pictures! I'll put them up on my cat website eventually
    That's so cute Karma

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 18th Sep 17, 10:39 AM
    • 2,530 Posts
    • 20,809 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Wooooosh!
    That was the sound of the last week whizzing by

Mr F has been home for a few days so we've been able to make some progress:
    • I have a spreadsheet showing all our expected pensions and the benefits attached
    • we have made a decision about materials for the outbuilding repairs and can agree a start date with the builder
    • I've booked a date for FDawg's one to one training
    • several items on the 'Needed for the House' list have been ticked off
    • I've listed/re-listed some items on the Bay of E

Mr F has scheduled a business meeting at the house tomorrow And last night he mentioned that his colleagues would be here over lunch time So today's chores will include cleaning up downstairs and baking a cake for coffee and refreshments. I've suggested a sandwich lunch as that is what they'd have if they were in the office. Mr F says he'll be able to claim the costs

Had a few steps back with FDawg on Wednesday but he seems to have made a leap forward since. He has had his first pub visit, his first canal walk, his first canal swim That bit wasn't planned He missed his footing and in he went. A scary moment for us but he didn't bat an eyelid and at least now we know he can swim. That camping shower may turn out to be the best thing I've bought all year

Right off to start the cleaning... and to find out what FDawg is up to. It's all gone quiet and this morning he has already stolen a pen and one of Mr F's slippers

Have a good Monday all

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 21st Sep 17, 9:25 AM
    • 2,530 Posts
    • 20,809 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    A woman with a plan
    I have a long list of chores to complete before the end of the week. A quick trip into the market town and then on to the industrial estate should tick off a good few. The others are 'phone calls which I'll tackle tomorrow as Mr F is out for the day and all should be quiet.

My lovely new neighbour is taking me out to a social tonight so I'll have to have a think about the meal plan.

We are going to chance FDawg at a local show on Saturday. It's only down the road so we can always bring him back if it's too much for him. We have guests staying the night so we don't want to give him too much to cope with. He seems much calmer and is getting the hang of how things work here but we still have a long way to go.

It feels very autumnal here now. I looked out of the window one day this week to see hundreds of swallows lined up on the wires and wheeling around the field. It was amazing to see. And sad too as I know they are starting their journey away for the winter.

Right, better get on.

Fortune x

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

718Posts Today

6,414Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin