Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 19th Jul 17, 8:27 AM
    • 193Posts
    • 73Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    MSE News: Government to ban ALL extra charges for paying by credit or debit card
    • 19th Jul 17, 8:27 AM
    MSE News: Government to ban ALL extra charges for paying by credit or debit card 19th Jul 17 at 8:27 AM
    Companies will be banned from charging ANY fees for credit or debit card payments from early next year...
    Read the full story:
    'Government to ban ALL extra charges for paying by credit or debit card'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 5
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 10th Jan 18, 1:39 PM
    • 6,201 Posts
    • 2,930 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    Dont be silly
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    Well, it's not quite that silly if you don't know the details of how things work - "if you can get cashback from the store using a debit card, why should the machine in there make a charge for doing the same?"

That said, ATMIA have warned about 'cash deserts' as the number of free-to-use ATMs decreases; e.g.: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/cash-deserts-uk-no-free-atms-fees-dispute-link-machine-contactless-credit-card-high-street-banks-a7548811.html
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
    • zzzt
    • By zzzt 10th Jan 18, 1:55 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 240 Thanks
    zzzt
    I see this as great news.
    • Bernard1948
    • By Bernard1948 10th Jan 18, 1:59 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Bernard1948
    WELL THANKS UK GOVERNMENT ANOTHER COCKUP.
    REMEMBER WHAT THEY SAID]

Stephen Barclay, the Economic Secretary to the Treasury, said: "Rip-off charges have no place in a modern Britain and thatís why card charging in Britain is about to come to an end.

"This is about fairness and transparency, and so from next year there will be no more nasty surprises for people at the check-out just for using a card.

"These small charges can really add up and this change will mean shoppers across the country have that bit of extra cash to spend on the things that matter to them."

WELL SOME SUPPLIERS ARE NOW CHARGING AN ADMIN FEE INSTEAD REGARDLESS WHETHER PAYMENT IS BY CARD OR CASH. GOD FORBID THE WORKING MAN SHOULD BE ANY BETTER OFF.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 10th Jan 18, 2:02 PM
    • 14,796 Posts
    • 15,627 Thanks
    zx81
    I don't think the government was in any doubt about the implications...

They just know that many people are ambivalent about paying for thingsas long as they are hidden in the total costs It was never about reducing the amount customers (as a whole) pay.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 10th Jan 18, 7:28 PM
    • 6,035 Posts
    • 6,042 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Originally posted by Bernard1948
    NO NEED TO SHOUT!

I have no wish for this to turn into yet another Brexit thread but this is simply the pan-European implementation of a non-negotiable EU directive so the UK government didn't really have a great deal of say in the matter.

As soon as this was announced, the first thread started on here (just before this one), with the OP correctly predicting that businesses (especially small ones) "will just increase the price of their goods, or else just refuse to take cards full stop" so it really shouldn't be a surprise....
    • Lsullysullivan
    • By Lsullysullivan 11th Jan 18, 9:20 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Lsullysullivan
    Hi sorry to jump on the post but could anybody please help me? I booked a holiday in April 2017 and the balance is due on 16th January. I was holding out from paying the final balance until then, as the card charge law comes into place on 13th January.

However I have had the following reply from the company when mentioning it: "Further to your email in regards to your balance, if you made a booking with us on or before July 18th 2017, any payments due after this date, such as a balance, will be subject to credit card charges at the original rate"

Can they still charge me fees if the law has changed? Is this some kind of loophole? I have tried to look it up online but cannot find any info as yet so hoped a MSE might know more than I do. Thanks in advance.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 11th Jan 18, 9:28 AM
    • 7,506 Posts
    • 9,360 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Hi sorry to jump on the post but could anybody please help me? I booked a holiday in April 2017 and the balance is due on 16th January. I was holding out from paying the final balance until then, as the card charge law comes into place on 13th January.

However I have had the following reply from the company when mentioning it: "Further to your email in regards to your balance, if you made a booking with us on or before July 18th 2017, any payments due after this date, such as a balance, will be subject to credit card charges at the original rate"

Can they still charge me fees if the law has changed? Is this some kind of loophole? I have tried to look it up online but cannot find any info as yet so hoped a MSE might know more than I do. Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by Lsullysullivan
    I suspect their systems won't collect the charge.

See what happens when you pay then post back. And name the company. They need shaming.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 11th Jan 18, 3:16 PM
    • 2,951 Posts
    • 3,051 Thanks
    cjdavies
    Was about to tax my car online to start 01/02/18, then saw the £2.50 credit card charge and thought this ended, but read the article it's from the 13/01/18 - will wait until then.

REMEMBER WHAT THEY SAID]

Stephen Barclay, the Economic Secretary to the Treasury, said: "Rip-off charges have no place in a modern Britain and that’s why card charging in Britain is about to come to an end.

"This is about fairness and transparency, and so from next year there will be no more nasty surprises for people at the check-out just for using a card.

"These small charges can really add up and this change will mean shoppers across the country have that bit of extra cash to spend on the things that matter to them."

WELL SOME SUPPLIERS ARE NOW CHARGING AN ADMIN FEE INSTEAD REGARDLESS WHETHER PAYMENT IS BY CARD OR CASH. GOD FORBID THE WORKING MAN SHOULD BE ANY BETTER OFF.
    Originally posted by Bernard1948
    Just Eat is one of them, 50p service charge for all orders regardless how you pay.
    Last edited by cjdavies; 11-01-2018 at 3:19 PM.
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 11th Jan 18, 3:30 PM
    • 6,201 Posts
    • 2,930 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    Was about to tax my car online to start 01/02/18, then saw the £2.50 credit card charge and thought this ended, but read the article it's from the 13/01/18 - will wait until then.
    Originally posted by cjdavies
    Thing is, the paper reminder that's come through says that they won't. Even though they do.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 11th Jan 18, 3:40 PM
    • 3,345 Posts
    • 4,580 Thanks
    Nick_C

Originally posted by Lsullysullivan
    Government guidelines :

" The amendments to the Regulations (regulation 6A, and related amendments) apply to charges made on or after 13 January 2018, except for charges under contracts entered into before 18 July 2017;"

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/664065/payment-surcharges-guidance.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwipxcqZl9DYAhXkLsAKHUMVBtEQ FjACegQIEBAB&usg=AOvVaw1gAHglFPhI0gHTjsHL4ohM
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 11th Jan 18, 8:29 PM
    • 2,100 Posts
    • 965 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    A tad naive to assume the lost profit wont be recovered by other means.

I dont imagine ministers been this thick, they will know this would happen, but just doing this anyway for the publicity.
    • Lsullysullivan
    • By Lsullysullivan 12th Jan 18, 12:06 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Lsullysullivan
    [QUOTE=Nick_C;73700841]Government guidelines :

" The amendments to the Regulations (regulation 6A, and related amendments) apply to charges made on or after 13 January 2018, except for charges under contracts entered into before 18 July 2017;"

Thank you so much for this information...darn it there's no arguing it then!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

506Posts Today

4,650Users online

Martin's Twitter