Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 18th Jul 17, 9:21 PM
    • 2,876Posts
    • 56,847Thanks
    scottishminnie
    No "T" words mentioned at all - the continuation thread
    • 18th Jul 17, 9:21 PM
    No "T" words mentioned at all - the continuation thread 18th Jul 17 at 9:21 PM
    At the suggestion of our very sensible friend Lyn (and since the gremlins have been at work deleting threads on the Old Style forum) I've started a shiny fresh new "T" word thread. Hopefully starting again will avoid us vanishing overnight (although if I could reappear as a a more streamlined version I'd consider vanishing overnight!)

The old thread is here
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3751615.

Welcome all to round two......
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
Page 9
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 2nd Oct 17, 5:39 PM
    • 5,821 Posts
    • 88,303 Thanks
    fuddle
    SM I love autumn being called fall.

I had to re-read the start of your post Lyn as I though you said you're going to hoard. Hoard?! Lyn?! No, not Lyn. I was right all along.

Polly the smaller beds are going to house one pumpkin and 2 climbing squashes. The prospect of having autumnal colour squashes are keeping me awake at night. I'm afraid I'm sad enough to not be jesting.

Polly when you light your candle this evening please will you think positives for me? I'm afraid I have to mention the P word too soon. I'm back from the doctors who has heard crackles on my right lung. I have had a sore chest since the day after my jabs. I have stronger antibiotics and I'm being kept a close eye on at the surgery. I go for a chest x-ray tomorrow and if I don't make any progress I go straight to a&e but I'm home. Please work jab, please work. I just can't believe it
    Good enough is good enough.

BMI - Oct: 31.8 Nov:?
    • Floss
    • By Floss 2nd Oct 17, 5:48 PM
    • 3,924 Posts
    • 31,675 Thanks
    Floss
    Fuddle it may have been a "live" vaccine that has prompted your body to react (as it should) bit your body has got a pneumo-tendency...hopefully everything kicks in and you don't end up in hozzie again xxx
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 2nd Oct 17, 5:59 PM
    • 11,017 Posts
    • 152,285 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Take care of yourself time Petal, make sure you rest up and do everything you possibly can to not let the dreaded 'P' word get a hold of your health again. So sad as it's only the beginning of autumn and it seems totally unfair to think of you being poorly this early on. Make sure you take in lots of nice fresh fruit and veg and keep the nutrients and vitamins going in to help you stave off any illnesses you might come into contact with.

I'm suffering with a chest infection and throaty thing since the last visit to the Pickles, off again on Wednesday, wonder what they'll give me this time? Looking forward to being immune to their local bugs in the future, I've certainly felt better than I currently do!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 2nd Oct 17, 7:04 PM
    • 5,821 Posts
    • 88,303 Thanks
    fuddle
    Speedy and full recovery Lyn. Are you still able to function? So funny, I think you need to spend more time with the grandpickles as I was never healthier amongst the germs of school children and ill older people! I gave up work and now I'm goosed. Roll on weds for you!

Fanx floss. Fingers crossed!

• pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 2nd Oct 17, 7:33 PM
    • 1,802 Posts
    • 14,855 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    I've just lit a new lavender for you Fuds, the present one is almost finished so that will be for everyone else .
    The first important thing is the Pneumo vaccine doesn't contain any live bacteria . DD is asthmatic and when she had hers a few years she developed a high temperature and felt weak and wobbly but that passed in a few days .
    You've done the right thing by going to the Drs and starting ABs.
    Hopefully the XRay wont show Pneumo .
    Since childhood I've had bronchitis most winters . I've had Pneumo a few times mainly before the powerful drugs available now were so common .
    It's probable you may have some sort of chest thing recurring at times . As you can be left with what they used to call a weak chest .
    My chest was crackling a few weeks ago (Dr always picks up on it and whips the stethoscope out in the middle of DDs appointment ) ABs and sorted .
    Meanwhile try to steer clear of milky drinks until the results are through . They cause mucus which can be an irritant . I imagine you're already downing the elderberry syrup . It's warm and comforting and helps ease things .
    Ginger tea is good . I've been drinking it for a few days after feeling iffy .
    If you have garlic, fresh ginger and chillies stick them in a stew or soup they're good against inflammation .
    Try to rest and stay warm .
    Finally don't let yourself become a little ball of stress . I know your mind will be racing ahead . Try to breathe slowly . all the panic will just exhaust you . Wait for the results , keep eating well and try to sleep .
    Know we will be thinking of you tomorrow and sending the vibes .
    Lyn is picking up all sorts of things at the moment and most of the locals here are coughing and sneezing with one bug or another .
    Take care love and try for an early night with a hot water bottle if needed .
    polly xxxx
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 2nd Oct 17, 8:26 PM
    • 1,598 Posts
    • 18,825 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Still reading along but seem to do very little else but spend time with my gorgeous girlie and don't wish to bore everyone with my boring horsey obsession
    Sending many get well wishes to our poorlies, please take care of yourselves x
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 2nd Oct 17, 8:52 PM
    • 1,802 Posts
    • 14,855 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Lyn I hope you feel better soon , maybe you need to equip yourself with those masks worn in China to ward off infection . Not sure how the Pickles would react though a toss up between laughter or tears .

I'd love to hear about the lovely Lulu Lainey when you have the time .

polly
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 2nd Oct 17, 9:16 PM
    • 2,876 Posts
    • 56,847 Thanks
    scottishminnie
    SM we have 2 Beko tall upright freezers - good prices and suitable for garage / shed use - and a larder fridge, all with metal backs in line with new safety guidance
    Originally posted by Floss
    I didn't realise there was such a thing as an upright freezer suitable for garage use Floss - that's very interesting and I'll look into that. Our garage is pretty warm as the central heating boiler is in there and some of my Costco supplies - kitchen roll, toilet roll etc.
    Many years ago I had been either emptying or filling the tumble dryer in the garage before bedtime and unknown to me a cat (we never found out who it belonged to) had snuck in behind me and was shut in overnight. When I opened the garage door next morning it was fast asleep in the plastic laundry basket quite unperturbed so it must have been warm enough. I was slightly more perturbed though- I'm not a huge cat fan so it was sent packing
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 2nd Oct 17, 9:29 PM
    • 1,598 Posts
    • 18,825 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Oh Polly, she is an absolute joy I have never had a mare before and am really quite surprised at the differences. Whereas my darling boy would tolerate being groomed and fidget after a while (such a boy) she will stand for hours and positively relishes the experience. She is very affectionate, follows me around the field when I am trying to poo-pick, smelling my hair and looking for her nose to be kissed.
    She can be strong minded though, will stamp her feet and paw at the ground if she feels that she hasn't got my full attention!! We have a daily difference of opinion about her lifting her feet up to have them picked out and she is continually reminding me that she is still a young horse. I was lunging her in the school on Friday and Miss Lulu decided she didn't want to do that anymore so next thing I was hanging on to the lunge line for dear life, water skiing behind her as she bucked and bronced around the school. Talk about being tested
    All in all she is a delight and I am in love.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 3rd Oct 17, 4:38 AM
    • 5,821 Posts
    • 88,303 Thanks
    fuddle
    SM cats are survivalists to the core, although your laundry basket hasn't been much of a test. I'm not a cat person and I would have done the same but I too would have felt joy at seeing the little thing making the very best of a bad situation.

Polly thank you for being you. So sensible and calming. You're a tonic that should be bottled!

Aw Lainey you sound so happy. She obviously has a gorgeous character that is drawing you both closer and closer. You won't be boring me with your horsey tails. I adore tails of animal bonding.

Ladies I deteriorated quickly last night so had I not been to the docs I would have been going to A&E. I held fast hoping that the antib's would ward it off and, because I had a rubbish nights sleep the night before, thankfully I have slept for 6 hours and feel some improvement. I sit with a hot elderberry, lemon, honey and ginger and I have to tell you that I accidentally bought masses of ginger root in the online shop at the weekend. I guess that guardian angel of mine is looking after me again.

How are you this morning Lyn?
    Last edited by fuddle; 03-10-2017 at 4:42 AM.

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 3rd Oct 17, 7:53 AM
    • 11,017 Posts
    • 152,285 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Well, an interesting night as my 'germ' finally decided to turn into a full blown cold with accompanying 'waterfall' nose in the wee small hours. Feeling very 'pink and interesting' but that's progress on just feeling 'awful and flat'! The sooner it runs its course the sooner I'm better and functioning again.

The lounge is almost painted, just one small section of wall and the painted part of the chimney breast to go and it looks really nice, very much brighter, lighter and fresher. I'll get things back on to their shelves when it's finished and get us tidy again. Work in the store room is progressing, I boxed up all the candles and tea lights and really must stop buying 100 tea lights whenever I go to Ikea, I have 800 currently and many pillar candles and many table candles too and 14 big boxes of matches, enough for years to come. I'm going to use up food stores too and base the next couple of months menus on what we have in already, I have a whole wall of tins and dried and I'm NOT moving all of it when we do move, I'll have to go through the preserves and pickles too and get rid of the older ones and the ones we don't like much. I WILL GET THAT ROOM SORTED!!! really I will!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 3rd Oct 17, 9:00 AM
    • 1,802 Posts
    • 14,855 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Just a quick one to send positive vibes to Fuds today . Wrap up warm if you've got this cold , strong wind today . I'm off to town so back later today .
    Glad the cold has broken Lyn .
    ps I love Cats . Just wait , when they grow thumbs they'll rule the world .
    Take care all , thanks for the lovely Lulu update .
    polly
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 3rd Oct 17, 9:19 AM
    • 4,853 Posts
    • 50,837 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Wishing you well soon fuddle and Lyn xx

Lainey Lovely to hear about Lulu
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 3rd Oct 17, 3:51 PM
    • 5,821 Posts
    • 88,303 Thanks
    fuddle
    I wish I could have fought it off without Anton's Lyn. You've a strong immune system there. Just in time for the trip tomorrow.

I'm still home my heart rate is dropping and never got to the mountainous regions of when I was poorly, poorly. The pain is slowly subsiding. Slowly but the breathlessness means I've fallen out with the stairs again.

I had my chest x-ray. The results will be with the GP in 2 weeks. 2 weeks? That's helpful! But I have another GP appointment in the morning and it's with my favourite doctor so I'm going to have a good chat about the whole shebang.

MIL is helping me tomorrow and I'm a bit nervous about seeing her for the first time but time is healing. I just don't think she knows how upset I've been and I think that in itself means that she didn't mean to be as nasty as I took it. I will move on but Jones' is long out my life.

I'm in bed being a good girl and being looked after. It's fab having older children sometimes

Edit: not Anton's (huh?) Antibiotics.

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 3rd Oct 17, 3:59 PM
    • 11,017 Posts
    • 152,285 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I hope you can feel comfortable with MIL again, it's much nicer to be on good terms than not and you'll feel better if you can mend the rift. Perhaps she does realise how hurt you were and will try to make things better pet. If not you can manage perfectly well without her except on those odd occasions when it's a family event and then you can see you're in opposite corners of whatever room you're in and have as little contact time as is possible. Look after your little self, take your medicine and mend your health and then keep on being careful through the colder weather as much as you can and stay well xxx

Think I like Anton's better xxx.

• pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 3rd Oct 17, 10:45 PM
    • 1,802 Posts
    • 14,855 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Fuds I think your favourite GP will be able to shorten those results . Ours chases up such things so hopefully you may know the verdict by the end of the week .
    MIL will learn by observation that she, her son and grandchildren are very lucky to have you in their lives . Just take it slowly and if she says something triggering stay calm and ask her why she should think that. For everyone's sake it is better to avoid discord so handle it quietly and firmly .
    Candle has been lit for the last couple of hours so hopefully all will be well .

I've had a very long day . DD has been having a few good weeks without being sick and living in the loo after the MTX . She started a bad reaction on Sunday and was still being sick this morning .
    I had to phone the hospital today to rearrange that long awaited appointment with the main consultant .
    There is no way she can manage that long journey tomorrow morning .
    They've rearranged it for the last week in November so fingers crossed that will go ahead .
    I did a lone fast run around town this afternoon stocking up on fresh stuff , going to the bank and pharmacy . Perishables are away , everything else will have to wait to tomorrow morning .
    She's managed to keep a little Tomato and Basil soup down after days of not being able to eat . I'm hoping things will settle soon as she takes 13 different meds every day now some twice a day and she needs to eat before taking them and keep the meds down .

Hope everyone's ok . I'll be off to bed soon .
    Much love
    polly

PS Re Anton , why do you think the queen of the typos types ABs
    • Floss
    • By Floss 3rd Oct 17, 10:57 PM
    • 3,924 Posts
    • 31,675 Thanks
    Floss
    Fuds my GP always reminds me to up my brown and blue inhalers whenever I have a cold/chest issue...maybe that might help with the stairs?
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 4th Oct 17, 11:35 AM
    • 5,821 Posts
    • 88,303 Thanks
    fuddle
    I have pneumonia. My chest is now clear according to the sounds but my heart rate indicates otherwise as does the pain and breathlessness that I still have. I'm deeply upset but I am still at home with the antibiotics that I normally have at hospital. I've had a blood test and polly you were right, nice GP is going to try and get that x-ray for Friday's appointment.

He gave me a lot of his time and looked over everything. He's getting me to see respiratory consultants and he has focused on my acid reflux issues. We're going to talk about it on Friday's appointment but there is a possibility that I could be breathing in stomach acid and that is his first plan of attack with me.

This is the first time I have gone through the GP for the pneumonia. The others times I've gone to the GP and told that my chest is clear, have some amoxicillin or naproxen for muscle pain only to end up being blue lighted days later. With this doctor I'm being taken seriously (i expect now because of the history) and also offered hope that we can investigate why it's happening deeper than blood results at the hospital.

He said I'm not to be cross about not getting the p jab earlier because I don't have a temperature indicating the cause is not bacterial. He's thinking it could be aspiration pneumonia.

Bummer friends. But I have a bit of hope that we might eventually get some sort if reason why.

MIL was fine but she goaded me into talking about it. She said that she wanted nothing to do with it and that we should be fine but is aware thst Jones' doesn't want to see me at family functions for fear of what she might say to me. What it is thst I have done that's made her some sort of victim I do not know but I took your advice polly and said that I didn't want any confrontation with anyone because it would effect my family and if she feels like that then 'my family' and I won't be at any functions she's at. Done. Let it go. Get on with trying to feel better. DH is mad because she brought it up right now when I'm ill but doesnt want to say anything because she's picking our youngest up fom school for the next few days. The fact im actualky talking about it gives it all some sort prevelance in my life. It's all irrelevant. I just wish I didnt need help rpfrom her right now.

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 4th Oct 17, 11:47 AM
    • 11,017 Posts
    • 152,285 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Have a hug! in fact have loads of hugs for many different reasons because you're worth it!

Look after yourself, thank goodness for a GP with common sense who listens to YOU and have a pat on the back for making him/her listen. MIL is between a rock and a hard place emotionally not wanting to let it hurt her daughter but if I sense right wanting to make it better again for you and OH? Let her help you when you need the help because you're poorly but make it VERY clear that you aren't aware of issues with 'Jones' that would explain her attitude and that you, even more than 'Jones' won't be at any family event where she is likely to be present because you won't tolerate any more of her venom. Make it right with MIL if you can because of OH and the girls but you really don't need 'Jones' and her family in your lives for any reason, you have better things to do and bigger fish to fry!!!

Keep yourself buoyant little one, get fixed and strong again and whatever you do or don't do keep talking to us because that old adage 'a problem shared is a problem halved' is true! xxx.

• fuddle
    • By fuddle 4th Oct 17, 12:04 PM
    • 5,821 Posts
    • 88,303 Thanks
    fuddle
    I can't believe I still have to bore you all with the P word though! I'm afraid I'm not going anywhere you poor poor people I just wish I cod give support not continually receive it! I'm going to owe Polly a small fortune in candles Lyn!

You're a sweet, sweet lady Lyn. Get yourself on that train and immerse yourself in your little ones. Xx

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

936Posts Today

7,014Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Friday Twitter poll: Fruit wars. If, for some bizarre reason, u had to give up 3 of these for life (in every form), what'd you keep?

• I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Follow Martin