Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 18th Jul 17, 9:21 PM
    • 2,890Posts
    • 56,988Thanks
    scottishminnie
    No "T" words mentioned at all - the continuation thread
    • 18th Jul 17, 9:21 PM
    No "T" words mentioned at all - the continuation thread 18th Jul 17 at 9:21 PM
    At the suggestion of our very sensible friend Lyn (and since the gremlins have been at work deleting threads on the Old Style forum) I've started a shiny fresh new "T" word thread. Hopefully starting again will avoid us vanishing overnight (although if I could reappear as a a more streamlined version I'd consider vanishing overnight!)

The old thread is here
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3751615.

Welcome all to round two......
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
Page 8
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 21st Sep 17, 1:54 PM
    • 11,177 Posts
    • 154,023 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I can't run with nails of any length, I keep mine trimmed to 'non existent' with all the garden and cooking I can't deal with 'tallons' so the 'Oh my GOD.....I've broken a nail' passes me by and always has and always will!

Lovely dentist and assistant said as I walked into the consulting room yesterday 'Here is Mrs.LW who is slowly disappearing' when I'd stopped laughing they both said 'well done' so there must be a visible difference in my appearance since March when I last had my check up. I don't notice it so much now as I'm used to seeing me in the reflections, nice though when someone else does. Improved gum health, no fillings, no work of any kind needed and see you in 6 months, doesn't get better than that!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 21st Sep 17, 4:05 PM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 15,731 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    You seem to have done well since the weight loss Lyn and all done in a sensible fashion . Last year when I had the rotator cuff problem and couldn't garden for a long time I was amazed how quickly my nails grew . I'm one of those who start off wearing the gardening gloves and mindlessly discard them along the way . I must say I found the faster the nails grew the more irritating they became and I cut them back .
    You sound as though you have your "ping " back today
    polly x
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 21st Sep 17, 8:18 PM
    • 5,943 Posts
    • 89,730 Thanks
    fuddle
    Just a quick post from me this evening. I can see you all clapping your hands at that you know

I'm booked in to have my pneumonia jab on Tuesday
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 21st Sep 17, 8:30 PM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 15,731 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Such good news Fuds I can stop nagging and talking of squeaky wheels and oil for at least 5 years now
    polly xxxx
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 21st Sep 17, 8:53 PM
    • 11,177 Posts
    • 154,023 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Now that IS the very BEST news, FINALLY!!! Taa Dah!!!!! xxx.

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • Floss
    • By Floss 21st Sep 17, 9:04 PM
    • 4,100 Posts
    • 33,826 Thanks
    Floss
    whooohoooo!!!!
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 22nd Sep 17, 5:55 PM
    • 5,943 Posts
    • 89,730 Thanks
    fuddle
    Well stotting mad today. Anyone that has me on facebook knowsI'm quite quiet. I dont get involved in much at all but today, on my local group, there was a post from my surgery stating that they have the flu and pneumonia vaccines in and call in as they'll 'happily jab you' with a piece about how the surgery makes money for every jab it gives. I made my mouth go, explaining my situation and how it had caused me worry and stress in trying to get it. I asked them to make sure their stocks lasted the year not just the autumnal flu season. No wonder they're out of their stocks if they're advertising for all unsundry to walk in. I just feel it's being used as a marketing tool. I've been upset about it for so long and now they have stocks they're just being flippant. Thank goodness I was called last night because if I had seen the post this morning I would have been livid. I made my mouth go in a polite way, i have to add.

Still, there's more to worry about in life I suppose. *shakes head.
    Last edited by fuddle; 22-09-2017 at 6:01 PM.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 22nd Sep 17, 6:11 PM
    • 4,100 Posts
    • 33,826 Thanks
    Floss
    Oh Fuddle...how callous!! Have you got your jab appointment then?
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 22nd Sep 17, 9:08 PM
    • 9,434 Posts
    • 55,703 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Just a quick post from me this evening. I can see you all clapping your hands at that you know

I'm booked in to have my pneumonia jab on Tuesday
    Originally posted by fuddle
    Hallelujah! What a weird set up, that you have to beg for somebody to stick a needle into you!
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 23rd Sep 17, 11:08 AM
    • 4,995 Posts
    • 52,341 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    i'm so glad to hear it's finally been arranged, fuds xx
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 26th Sep 17, 9:44 PM
    • 5,943 Posts
    • 89,730 Thanks
    fuddle
    I sat there with a smile on my face as a needle went in each arm. It happened and may we raise our mugs to never having to mention the P word again!

I pulled my first bit of produce today... 3 turnips! They'll be roasted tomorrow. I sauteed the leaves but we didnt like them but it's ok as the rabbit does.

We spent a lot of the weekend on the plot getting to beds in place. I've had DH make me some smaller beds to make good use of the spare space. He's made a wormery so he can be more self sufficient in fishing bait but I have to tell you that as I type he's out the back field with his torch stalking worms as he's banned from nicking them from the plot. I think we've sunk to an all time low. Dunno what the neighbours will think if they see him skulking around. Do you know what? I don't care!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 29th Sep 17, 1:16 PM
    • 11,177 Posts
    • 154,023 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Hi everyone, we're just back from Grandpickle sitting, tired but happy, Oh so happy! They were much easier to manage with He Who Knows there too, Zebra is needing much attention at the moment and is into 'real' lego and I'm a total dufus with building things from it, so fiddly so small and I'm just not up to speed. Oreo actually put his little arms out to me for a cuddle this morning for the very first time too, precious moment!

FUDS so pleased and very relieved that you've FINALLY had the 'P' vaccine and harvesting turnips from the plot.....Fantastic!

He Who Knows has a blood test this afternoon so I'm going to cadge a lift to W8rose as we took virtually everything with us from the fridge on Tuesday when we went to Ruthie to use at lunch as she was stuck indoors waiting for delivery of a new bathroom suite and was given 8.30 to 5 as the time it would arrive! Nice to be home, went on Thursday and viewed a lovely house close to Nell which is a definite possibility. Looks promising that we WILL find what we want in the area we want, watch this space!

• fuddle
    • By fuddle 29th Sep 17, 8:50 PM
    • 5,943 Posts
    • 89,730 Thanks
    fuddle
    Oh I hope so Lyn and with the use of the (!) I detect more than a whiff of positivity I'm worried about you settling and losing your sparkle my friend.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 30th Sep 17, 8:36 AM
    • 1,743 Posts
    • 20,719 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Fab news Lyn will keep all appropriate digits crossed that this will enable you and HWK to make the move closer to loved ones x
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 30th Sep 17, 8:43 AM
    • 11,177 Posts
    • 154,023 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I'm looking forward to the adventure FUDS, a new life in a new place I know well before we go and that has so much more to offer every day than we have here. Closer to the girls, closer to the Grandpickles, much better facilities, much better access to transport, walkable to whatever I need to access including the station, hospital, big supermarkets, Oh yes BRING IT ON!!!

• pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 1st Oct 17, 1:21 PM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 15,731 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Well Fuds after a few days of homemade ginger or peppermint tea I can now raise a large mug of Yorkshire tea to celebrate you and the jabs .
    I've been having a giggle at the image of DH out on the back field with torch digging up worms . Actually very OS , foraging in fact !
    I do wonder if you do a head count of the wormery worms
    Well the neighbours will soon get used to things . You wont be going anywhere and you may actually inspire some .
    What's the plan for the smaller beds? In a week or two I need to start planting the autumn garlic and I have a few packs of bargain price blue and white bulbs from Wilko , they jumped into the basket your honour !

Lyn I'll be watching this space too . It would be lovely if things turn out well . Those journeys for Pickle sitting must take it out of you both . It will also save on travel costs and probably the best plan all round for you all .

Hope Lainey , CS and the lovely Lulu are well . Also all posters and readers not forgetting SM .

Busy week ahead , we have virtually lived in hospitals and clinics recently and Dr upped the 2 weekly appointments to weekly . DD had the second Barbotage 8 days ago to zap the big lumps of calcification and they are arranging Physio . I can't remember if I mentioned the strange dent that appeared on her thigh that Dr ordered an US scan for . Two days after the Barbotage she had that scan . It was quite funny as the senior doctor who did both Barbotage procedures , one two days earlier did the scan . Laughter all round on that as it was a different hospital all together .
    Verdict is she has no subcutaneous fat in the area scanned . General medical verdict from him and our Dr is her body is "confused" no surprise there then !!!

Take care everyone and hello to Candlelight if you're reading
    Much love
    polly x
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 1st Oct 17, 10:13 PM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 56,988 Thanks
    scottishminnie
    Oh my, it's been weeks since I was here last.

Was so busy at work then I finally had last week off. I had so many plans, so much to do , it's been quite a while since I had a whole week at home. Well, I don't know where it went. I religiously ran six and a half miles a day but that was done before 9 so no excuse for impinging on my time. I took mother to the big city for a day so we shopped (mostly window and chuckled at the silly prices) and had a nice lunch out and I painted fencing in the garden and cooked lots of things for the freezer and spent almost a day shredding old papers for the Nov 5th bonfire. I guess I did achieve a lot but don't have much to show for it if that makes sense?

It's definitely fall now though - blowing an absolute hooley here tonight so the remaining apples may be off my tree tomorrow. Not to worry, they will be rescued from the ground and sliced before freezing - will save me poking them off the high branches with a stick

This month will be busy at work and I have quite a few business trips coming up so I need to meal plan to make the most of the huge freezer stocks and keep hubby fed while I'm gone. I'm thinking of buying another upright freezer for the garage so I will need to research online this week perhaps.

Anyway off to bed - not that I will sleep. Sunday nights are a real trial - even last week when I had no work on Monday I couldn't sleep. Very frustrating!

Pollyanna - the very word barbotage sounds gruesome. Too close to "barbarian" for my liking!
    Last edited by scottishminnie; 01-10-2017 at 10:16 PM.
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 1st Oct 17, 10:32 PM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 15,731 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    SM called it barbaric so made a similar connection . It will hopefully make a real difference after things are calmed down . We are thankful such procedures exist . She's pretty stoic about things unlike me . It's been an education really and at times hilarious . A sense of humour is a wonderful gift .
    It sounds as though you have done a lot during your time off .
    Everything is once more battened down here . I'm beginning to think it may become the norm after all the storms in the past few years . It's very windy but I can't hear any outdoor crashing and banging so hopefully you , I and everyone else will sleep .
    Take care
    polly
    Just noticed the typo at the start of my post DD should be after SM . Too tired to correct , time for bed I reckon .
    • Floss
    • By Floss 2nd Oct 17, 8:37 AM
    • 4,100 Posts
    • 33,826 Thanks
    Floss
    SM we have 2 Beko tall upright freezers - good prices and suitable for garage / shed use - and a larder fridge, all with metal backs in line with new safety guidance
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 2nd Oct 17, 3:49 PM
    • 11,177 Posts
    • 154,023 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    When we move I'm going down to one freezer, so I can't hoard YS things that then disappear into the depths and surface freezer burned and inedible some time later. The big chest freezer was necessary when the family was here but now it's just the two of us we freeze way more than we can use because we grow it on the plots. Not going to continue in that vein when we move, going to buy a new large upright freezer and that will be IT!!! also going to be sensible about the amount we freeze to use of any one given crop in any one year as there is such a thing as too many blackberries!!!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,566Posts Today

9,283Users online

Martin's Twitter