Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 18th Jul 17, 9:21 PM
    • 2,885Posts
    • 56,936Thanks
    scottishminnie
    No "T" words mentioned at all - the continuation thread
    • 18th Jul 17, 9:21 PM
    No "T" words mentioned at all - the continuation thread 18th Jul 17 at 9:21 PM
    At the suggestion of our very sensible friend Lyn (and since the gremlins have been at work deleting threads on the Old Style forum) I've started a shiny fresh new "T" word thread. Hopefully starting again will avoid us vanishing overnight (although if I could reappear as a a more streamlined version I'd consider vanishing overnight!)

The old thread is here
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3751615.

Welcome all to round two......
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
Page 6
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 8th Sep 17, 2:34 PM
    • 11,121 Posts
    • 153,469 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Afternoon playmates, back from pickle wrangling at lunchtime to get a phone call from Ruthie to say that Orley had been projectile vomiting all morning.....and how was I? we'll see I guess!

I've heard from Candlelight who is absolutely fine and so are the rest of the family, she's been busy and taking a little break to do many other things but there is no problem she's well and happy so all is well with that knowledge. Hopefully there will come a time when she's got the inclination and the time to join us again and until then we'll keep her in our hearts and wish all of them happy and continuing good health!!! xxx.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 10th Sep 17, 8:06 PM
    • 1,672 Posts
    • 19,787 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Thanks for letting us know about Candlelight Lyn so glad to hear that she is hale, hearty and enjoying time with her loved ones
    I am very tired as Capt S and I have spent the day dividing up Lulu's field into smaller paddocks as she has been gorging herself a bit on the lush grass, will be seeing white posts and tape in my sleep!
    Busy week ahead, vets for small dog and horse, Pilates starts again, want to tidy up garden ready for winter and the saddler is coming out as well, just hope I don't get anything mixed up
    Have a good week and love to all x
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 11th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    • 2,885 Posts
    • 56,936 Thanks
    scottishminnie
    Sorry I'm a bit absent at the moment. Busy week ahead at work and I'm waiting on tenterhooks to know that our friends in Florida are ok. Once I know they are fine I'll start trying to find out if we have any damage at our condo. As long as it is wind and watertight we can deal with it on the next trip.

I'll be back when the madness has subsided!
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 12th Sep 17, 3:14 PM
    • 1,846 Posts
    • 15,365 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    SM Hopefully by now you will have some news of your friends . It's so worrying when you're so far away .
    I'm pleased to hear all is well with Candlelight and she's had some relaxing time away from medical stuff . Thanks for passing on the news Lyn x
    How long do you think it will be before you have the new saddle Lainey? I imagine you can't wait .
    Fuds I hope things are moving forward for the vaccine and you are enjoying sorting the lottie for winter .
    Any progress on a new job Floss? I imagine you'll be battening down the hatches as I am today . Nothing on the scale so many across the world have experienced but we're on Yellow at the moment and will shift to Amber this evening .
    This is the tail end of "Aileen" so possibly no sleep or electrics tonight .
    Take care all
    polly xxxx
    • Floss
    • By Floss 12th Sep 17, 6:04 PM
    • 4,011 Posts
    • 32,745 Thanks
    Floss
    I'm looking, but TBH it isn't going to plan... DH has suggested that i stop fretting and enjoy the time not working, but I quite like having a job and it gets me out of the house while he's working from home Not that I don't enjoy his company, it just means I can't do somethings I want to such as put the radio on loud through the house, knit / do my other craft things or even just have the house to myself
    • Floss
    • By Floss 12th Sep 17, 6:06 PM
    • 4,011 Posts
    • 32,745 Thanks
    Floss
    We had some rain earlier but nothing major yet...think we will get it later.
    • elona
    • By elona 12th Sep 17, 6:19 PM
    • 11,247 Posts
    • 59,936 Thanks
    elona
    I managed to hang out a load of laundry and took it inside an hour ago as big black clouds were gathering.

It is not raining yet but looks as if there could be a storm.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 12th Sep 17, 6:35 PM
    • 1,672 Posts
    • 19,787 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Re my saddle Polly there is a fitter coming out to the yard on Monday to measure and assess Lulu, that's not too bad a wait as the best saddlers are booked up well in advance but you are right, I can't wait! That said am doing a lot of groundwork with my girly and it helps with the bonding process, that and bringing her an apple every day x
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 14th Sep 17, 10:03 PM
    • 1,846 Posts
    • 15,365 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Floss Do you belong to any craft groups ? Maybe it would fill a bit of time while you're waiting for a job and you could take a project along and have a natter . Sometimes you hear of possible jobs in those sort of situations .
    I hope everyone's well . I hope all is will with your friends and your home in the US SM.
    Much love
    polly x
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 15th Sep 17, 2:47 AM
    • 5,893 Posts
    • 89,081 Thanks
    fuddle
    I've been nursing a sprained ankle Polly but I'm getting there now. Lottie is coming along. 3rd bed dug awaiting DH to box them with wooden edges. We pick a freecycle shed up tomorrow. It needs some TLC and new bits of timber but it's a big money and time saver. I sowed turnip.right when I found out I was getting a plot and that is fattening up quite nicely. I've spring cabbages in and Swiss chard to over winter but the rest is green manure. I still have a lot of rubbish to get off the site but it's nearing 50% complete.

Nothing on the jab front. There's a walk in flu jab clinic on 27th Sept so I'll head for that and speak to the nurse. It's stressing me out but the thought of picking up the fight stresses me more.

And sadly the reason for my quietness is problems with my mil. She was minding my girls when her daughter called in. DH's sister is a Jones keeper-upper and DH hardly speaks to her given her spoilt attitude as a child that has progressed into adulthood. Unfortunately my girls heard the pair of them calling me, some of it to them!! and told me. My youngest said she was upset by it, my oldest used the word 'livid' to describe her feelings in hearing it. I'm sad they had to experience that emotion and I wasn't there to help them. Trust has been eradicated and I feel hurt. We've had our issues over the years but mil had been a continued support to me through it all. I keep myself to myself, live my life quietly and I'm a good wife and mam. To tell my girls I'm a witch, amongst other things, is the lowest of the low. I don't know where we go from here but I cut ties with my own family for less. His sister is out of the picture completely now but I can't do that with mil. DH confronted her is his non confrontational way. She blamed his sister for the most part and then blamed the girls for exaggerating for the rest. It can never be the same again and I'm struggling with that.

So yeah, life has been plodding on with hobbling and a heavy heart.
    Good enough is good enough.

BMI - Oct: 31.8 Nov: 30.3
    • Floss
    • By Floss 15th Sep 17, 7:35 AM
    • 4,011 Posts
    • 32,745 Thanks
    Floss
    Fuddle big hug to you & your girls... not nice to be confronted with. I get the issue with SiL, but maybe your Mil is embarrassed that the girls heard and has suggested they exaggerated things to cover that? She is probably gutted to destroy the relationship with you, time for your plot to come into its own as a peaceful place of contemplation and escape from day to day worries. I have done some of my best thinking sitting either on my plot or on the Prom looking at the Irish Sea .

BTW if you are in need of greenhouse glass, have a think about twin-wall polycarbonate sheets. They don't break, can be silicone-sealed in place and make a toasty place to sit in winter!
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 15th Sep 17, 8:36 AM
    • 5,893 Posts
    • 89,081 Thanks
    fuddle
    Thanks for that floss. The greenhouse is fully glazed but many are cracked. It gets buffeted even in the summer here so when they go completely (repair tape on) i'll get thd sheets you talk about.

I know with mil when she left DHs dad she took Jonses and left DH and his older sister with their dad. They moved to Scotland where they led quite a stressed life with him being a disciplinarian. DH has a decent relationship with them even with all that and doesn't like falling out. I have to ensure I do what is right for him and the girls who don't have my mam as a grandma any more. It's difficult for me because if anyone breaks my trust even in the slightest, I cut ties. That comes easy for me. What comes difficult is continuing a relationsnip which I feel isn't real.

I expect she is embarrassed and I do know that she has difficulty saying 'no' to spoilt Jones so maybe didn't have the confidence to say stop, the girls are here. I guess it's time to get my big girl pants on and rise above it for the good of everyone.

There is a bench on the plot. I could do with the space it sits on but it's staying and I intend tying milk bottle planters with flowers over the sides. I ordered some small nursery gooseberry and loganberry(never had one!) which arrived yesterday. I'll get them in today and have a ponder. Thanks floss

• Floss
    • By Floss 15th Sep 17, 10:30 AM
    • 4,011 Posts
    • 32,745 Thanks
    Floss
    You are welcome hun - when you are sitting & contemplating, if anyone asks what you are thinking tell them you are plot plotting !!
    • Cheapskate
    • By Cheapskate 15th Sep 17, 11:11 AM
    • 1,589 Posts
    • 19,366 Thanks
    Cheapskate
    Fuddle, sorry to hear about your lovely girls being upset by their grandma and auntie, those sorts of things shouldn't be said in front of them, especially when it's about you!! We've had a falling out between DH and his sisters since last autumn (one of them created a problem out of thin air re our son's wedding), which has caused no end of heartache. A couple of them are right with us now, but I have no time for the perpetrator and feel like we've lost most of DH's family, so I know exactly what you mean.

Enjoy your lottie, your hubby and your girlies - that's more important than all the other rubbish!

A xo
    CRAPROLLZ member #20 Cheapskate - Head of Hunting (family membership co-ordinator)

Jan GC £27.05/£300
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 15th Sep 17, 4:41 PM
    • 1,672 Posts
    • 19,787 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Oh Fuddle am so sorry that your girls had to hear that vile stuff being spouted about their Mum, they must have been so angry on your behalf and then had to tell you what had happened.
    Just a thought but could the sister be jealous of you, that despite all her material possessions and pretences deep down she knows that you have so much more of what really matters, that you and not her have cracked it when it comes down to the real meaning of life? X
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 15th Sep 17, 4:42 PM
    • 1,846 Posts
    • 15,365 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Oh Fuds I'm so sorry to read your post . I did think you'd been a bit quiet but you have a busy life . I know your husband has spoken to MIL but a marker needs laying down if not already done so . That behaviour is not acceptable in the girls presence ever whether you or your husband are present or not .
    SIL sounds bitter and jealous and cruel to me . You've said before about people not understanding you living a simpler OS life . Allthe bling and stuff in the world doesn't bring the simple love and togetherness your little family share .
    MIL is between a rock and a hard place and is taking the easy option which has led to your daughters being hurt . It's hard to think of a balance , I know she was kind and supportive when you lost your mum but she will need to alter her thinking to have any hope of maintaining a relationship in a healthy and trusted way .
    I hope something can be sorted for all your sakes .

You're doing well with the veg for winter and I second Floss re the replacement panels . Wise to keep the bench . I do my best plotting and planning of many things while sitting in the garden .
    Love and hugs xxxx
    polly
    Oh and good luck with the jab !

Cheapskate We lost contact with some of the family 8 years ago . It was hurtful but needed so sending hugs your way also x

The sun has finally shown it's face today so I've been in the garden . There are many berries weighing down trees and shrubs and Billy Blackbird is making inroads already . I hope all are well and get some sun in the next few days .
    Much love
    polly x
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 15th Sep 17, 9:14 PM
    • 9,394 Posts
    • 55,250 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Fuddle - Nowt wrong with being a witch. You have created a home that is a sanctuary, a place of good food and good vibes, and you are at one with Nature, tending your plot and growing food. That is witchcraft of the finest kind.

The girls found out their mum is perceived as being a witch in the unflattering sense of the word, and they have seen their Aunty is a b.... (fill in the gaps as you wish). Such envy and bitterness is to be pitied. Mum in law sounds a bit weak, or maybe she was piggy in the middle? Just be civil to her and let her deal with her guilt in her own way.

There are autumn preps to do, a life to be had for the enjoying, regardless of what your SIL may think - get your Big Girls Pants on, be the adult in all this and crack on!
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 15th Sep 17, 9:50 PM
    • 2,885 Posts
    • 56,936 Thanks
    scottishminnie
    Fuddle - come join the other witch over here as my MIL and 3 SIL have referred to me since before I married hubby. MIL tells people our marriage was virtually dead after the first year and I've only stayed around out of spite to make her life a misery. We're passed the 25 year point so that's a lot of time to stay in a miserable marriage out of nastiness I'm afraid that after years of having hubby sit on the fence as he hates confrontation I took a stand and told him either he dealt with the 4 individuals or I would. He finally did but I would have carried it through. Sometimes a line has to be drawn.
    Whatever happens I hope you can move on from it soon.

Been a busy week for me - couple of days in London and I'm quite tired today but glad to be home. One of my colleagues travelling with me was a bit frustrated that I insisted on walking quite a bit rather than taking the tube between meetings but I think they are beginning to understand my dislike of being underground. I'd walk a mile above ground before I'd spend 10 minutes down there

Looking forward to a relaxing weekend in the garden. It's a lot cooler here , definitely autumnal weather, but dry so I'm happy.

Our friends in Florida are all ok and our home is fine, no damage, which is great news. One of our friends had a tornado spin off in the backyard at the tail end of the storm and once it was over there was something in the corner under some branches which had been struck down. Once it was safe to go out they found it was a bobcat kitten which they think had been in the tree. They were a bit alarmed that mother bobcat may not be far away so they left it be and sure enough about an hour later if was gone. Seems you can have more than a power cut when there is a hurricane!
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 18th Sep 17, 8:34 PM
    • 1,846 Posts
    • 15,365 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Just a quick one from me , hope all are well and getting into Autumn mode . Fuds things have hopefully calmed down now but I'm sure you'll have made it clear that none of you adult or children will put up with that nasty and bitter rubbish again .
    I read about the sock on the Fence but forgot to comment so well done now you just need the other one !
    Take care everyone
    much love
    polly x
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 18th Sep 17, 9:45 PM
    • 5,893 Posts
    • 89,081 Thanks
    fuddle
    I've not spoken to her about it. She rang on Saturday and my heart sank with nerves. Nothing was mentioned. She had what I felt was a dig but I'm aware that when I feel 'got at' I'm extremely sensitive to the point where I'll make myself a victim. Its all too near to how I felt being in amongst the games my mam and sister used to play.

I don't want this, I don't need this and because I'm not strong enough to put an end to it, I'm avoiding. What I do know is one day, and likely soon, I will be pushed too far and i'll stand up for myself and then some. I'm no meak mouse when pushed.

I'm just trying to stay unstressed and healthy. Life at home is calm and happy so this nonsense can toddle on out of my mind.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,298Posts Today

8,946Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Sneaky NAKED photo... ...of the room where many political and regional TV interviews are done. This is before the? https://t.co/fDdeKQOQuU

• The Premium Bond rate is being boosted from 1.15% to 1.4% should you pile in? My analysis... https://t.co/3Q7tjphAFO

• RT @colinjdunn: First #Plevin cheque received this morning - £548.66 from Nationwide & with other claims still outstanding - so thanks @Mar?

• Follow Martin