Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 18th Jul 17, 9:21 PM
    • 2,902Posts
    • 57,083Thanks
    scottishminnie
    No "T" words mentioned at all - the continuation thread
    • 18th Jul 17, 9:21 PM
    No "T" words mentioned at all - the continuation thread 18th Jul 17 at 9:21 PM
    At the suggestion of our very sensible friend Lyn (and since the gremlins have been at work deleting threads on the Old Style forum) I've started a shiny fresh new "T" word thread. Hopefully starting again will avoid us vanishing overnight (although if I could reappear as a a more streamlined version I'd consider vanishing overnight!)

The old thread is here
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3751615.

Welcome all to round two......
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
Page 24
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Jan 18, 8:45 AM
    • 11,136 Posts
    • 155,151 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Morning all, hope all you poorlies are getting better rapidly and feeling much more the thing today! We've had horrid head colds but that's all they were and are both on the mend now thank goodness. It looks like a better day out there today, the sun is actually shining and I can see blue sky so much better for going for a walk but we HAVE been walking even on very cold and overcast days, it's what keeps us relatively fit so we persevere. Our old microwave which we've had for a very long time is beginning to deteriorate, the timing knob is a bit random and jumps backwards and forwards in it's display so we're going on a replacement hunt today. I really only want a very basic one with as little technical gubbins as it's possible to get, though whether I find one or not remains to be seen...........
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 10th Jan 18, 5:20 PM
    • 6,029 Posts
    • 91,415 Thanks
    fuddle
    Hi Lyn. Did you get a microwave that suits?
    I had the echocardiogram today. I'll know next week when the results are with the GP. Trying to get an appointment will be the fun part.

I've sunk low again. I don't think all was well especially as I was asked about high heart rate history and was I under a cardiologist.

I just have to deal with what comes. Plenty have to. I'll try to keep it together.

Unfortunately I have quit the charity shop again today. I just need to keep under the germ radar and being in there propels me right to the front from touching money, breathing coughed/sneezed air, sharing hot heated air with all that come through the door and touching whatever comes in via the donation bags. Psychologically I will regret the decision but I'm hoping my plot will help me out.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Jan 18, 6:25 PM
    • 11,136 Posts
    • 155,151 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Oh yes we did my little FUDDLEY friend, it's only a microwave (no fancy bits I can't be dealing with combination ovens or grills) and is made by Swan and it's a beautiful bright fire engine red!!! I luvs it!!!

They may just be wanting relevant records from the cardiology unit so they have the full picture of previous problems before you end up on the ceiling worried pet, the more information they have in your folder the better chance they have of actually making a diagnosis. You're in the safest hands possible so let them fix you and just rest up until you actually have cause to worry girlie! I think you're so sensible to quit the charity shop at this point in the year there are just TOO MANY different viruses/germs circulating in the general public and you're so much less likely to pick them up at home and popping to the local shops. Look after your little self, sending hugs xxx.

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 10th Jan 18, 6:47 PM
    • 6,029 Posts
    • 91,415 Thanks
    fuddle
    Red we looked at the combination microwave Lyn. It meant I had to get the house rewired if I wanted one. I don't think so. The same if I wanted a fancy oven. My oven and microwave run on a plug, not wired to the electrics and it's saved us a rewiring job. I don't notice any difference.

Ping! Enjoy it. I know you could live without them, as could I, in fact I have managed without them, but they are very cost effective ways of heating and that's why I have a microwave. Actually they allow the girls to make their own hot choc, and mug cakes.

Stopping the shop feels like the right thing to do so I'll go with that. My sister has been telling me about her SIL. She has battled MS for the last few years. She doesn't know where it's going to take her but she's lost a lot of her hearing. She fully expects other parts of her body go as time goes on. Everyone has their battles. My own dad lost his life at my age. I have grown a lot these past few months. Life isn't guaranteed, an easy life isn't a life lived and a healthful life is 1) helped by ourselves as well 2) luck in terms of infection incidents.

I'm determined to live as much of my simple, understated life as I can and find something to appreciate every day. I'll be reet
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Jan 18, 6:49 PM
    • 11,136 Posts
    • 155,151 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Go that Fuddle!!! Eh lass, surely you WILL be reet!!! xxx

• fuddle
    • By fuddle 11th Jan 18, 3:00 PM
    • 6,029 Posts
    • 91,415 Thanks
    fuddle
    I managed to get 2 hours in at the plot today. I shouldn't as I've only just got on my feet again but I really needed it. I've been talking mostly to the old guy next to me (not grumpy drawers) it's been lovely to talk gardens with someone. I've come away with leeks and turnips out of his tunnel so I'm going to go make a pan of soup (can I freeze chopped turnip?) as I don't have to do the trek to pick DD up. She's at panto with school so won't be back till late.

My mood is better today.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 11th Jan 18, 4:55 PM
    • 11,136 Posts
    • 155,151 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    FUDDS a little bit of fresh air in gentle company is as good as a tonic and you limited it to 2 hours so you've neither been out in the cold for too long or had time to overdo the exercise so it will be a benefit not a problem. Lovely freshly pulled veg too, all those vitamins and minerals fresh and not stored will do you a power of good as well, hope you enjoyed it! xxx.

• scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 11th Jan 18, 11:16 PM
    • 2,902 Posts
    • 57,083 Thanks
    scottishminnie
    Fuddle- turnip freezes ok though it can be "watery" when defrosted. I usually cook it and mash before freezing, either on its own or with mashed carrots.

It doesn't matter how long you spent at the plot. The psychological benefits of being there are what will do you most good. I am planning to pick up a few crafting magazines for my sister before i leave. Im not sure how many things she will make but I know she will spend hours looking at them and enjoying it.

We're on the countdown to home now as we fly home on Saturday. Tomorrow and Sat morning will be really busy tying up last minute things, cleaning like a maniac and organising some work we are having done before we return in May. I might not be around much before Sunday evening so enjoy the rest of the week and I'll savour the last warmth we will see from the sun until our next trip.
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 16th Jan 18, 11:53 PM
    • 2,902 Posts
    • 57,083 Thanks
    scottishminnie
    Evening all. Back home now and under quite a bit of snow and ice. I suspect I may be working from home tomorrow if it doesn't improve overnight.

I'm planning a bit of a store cupboard and freezer stocktake at the weekend. I might be looking for some ideas for some random ingredients which I have decided I must use up. I also realised before Christmas that I have way too much home made jam so I will look for recipes which would use some of that up. Queen of puddings comes to mind however I'm sure there will be many more. The thought of a giant jam tart with a meringue topping has also crossed my mind and shouldn't be too difficult to put together. I'm sometimes reluctant to use jam in puddings as it gets really hot.

I'm off to order some black dye online before I go to bed. I found a pack of 6 really good quality t shirts which hubby has never worn because they are white and very impractical so time to make them more useful!
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
    • Floss
    • By Floss 17th Jan 18, 8:17 AM
    • 4,178 Posts
    • 35,619 Thanks
    Floss
    SM H/m jam is great mixed into yogurt, rice pudding or porridge Also good in cakes (use a whole jar in the same way as the Lemon Curd Cake) or as Sunday tea on fresh bread, scones, toast or crumpets!
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 17th Jan 18, 9:11 AM
    • 2,902 Posts
    • 57,083 Thanks
    scottishminnie
    Thanks Floss, hadn't thought of using it like the lemon curd cake. That would definitely be something that would go down well.
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

337Posts Today

2,319Users online

Martin's Twitter