Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 18th Jul 17, 9:21 PM
    • 2,902Posts
    • 57,083Thanks
    scottishminnie
    No "T" words mentioned at all - the continuation thread
    • 18th Jul 17, 9:21 PM
    No "T" words mentioned at all - the continuation thread 18th Jul 17 at 9:21 PM
    At the suggestion of our very sensible friend Lyn (and since the gremlins have been at work deleting threads on the Old Style forum) I've started a shiny fresh new "T" word thread. Hopefully starting again will avoid us vanishing overnight (although if I could reappear as a a more streamlined version I'd consider vanishing overnight!)

The old thread is here
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3751615.

Welcome all to round two......
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
Page 23
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 24th Dec 17, 9:03 AM
    • 9,464 Posts
    • 56,256 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Merry Christmas to you all from Chateau Nargle.
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 24th Dec 17, 10:35 AM
    • 1,815 Posts
    • 21,726 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Wishing you all a peaceful and happy Christmas, may it be all you have hoped for.

We have the hollow legged ones coming for the big meal tomorrow, first time in 10 years Capt S will see his lads on the day itself so he is predictably excited, lovely to see x
    Apart from that it will be relatively quiet but that suits me down to the ground, first one without darling Mum and have to say it's been a real effort at times to celebrate in any way, but then I remember how much she loved all the festivities and crack on
    Love to all x
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 24th Dec 17, 12:11 PM
    • 6,029 Posts
    • 91,415 Thanks
    fuddle
    May your Christmas Day be full of smiles, whether from memories or new experiences... hopefully both! Love to you all my friends x
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 26th Dec 17, 8:37 PM
    • 2,902 Posts
    • 57,083 Thanks
    scottishminnie
    I hope everyone had an enjoyable time whatever they were doing. I'm heading to our other place for some sunshine so may be a couple of days before I am back to catch up. I'll report in when I get settled though
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 27th Dec 17, 2:34 PM
    • 11,136 Posts
    • 155,151 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Goodness how fast did Christmas fly past? I know now what was missing from the 'sparkle' over the last couple of decades and that is watching small happy imps open presents on Christmas morning, they were so happy with EVERY present, no matter how big or small, the delight on small faces was wonderful. We got home at lunchtime today, snow all the way to Winchester and then green fields, still pretty cold outside and quite windy so the fire is lit and coffee has been drunk. I'm finding it hard to keep my eyes open so I thought I'd come and wish you all the Seasons Greetings for the past few days and looking forward to an exciting New Year. Nell got me the most exciting present I could have imagined, she says be careful what you wish for as I've a long memory.....a 30 minute microlight flight!!!!! WOOHOO with a vengeance!!!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • Floss
    • By Floss 27th Dec 17, 4:55 PM
    • 4,178 Posts
    • 35,619 Thanks
    Floss
    We just got back home to a sulky cat after 4 days away, first in Berwickshire then Fife for Christmas. DH has poured us each a large gin while I unpacked my case, put everything clean away & put laundry in the basket
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 28th Dec 17, 2:13 PM
    • 11,136 Posts
    • 155,151 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    It's the Oreo child's first birthday today! where did the time go?

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 28th Dec 17, 9:44 PM
    • 9,464 Posts
    • 56,256 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Happy Birthday Orly! Now Oma and Opa have two mobile imps to keep up with!
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 29th Dec 17, 12:54 PM
    • 6,029 Posts
    • 91,415 Thanks
    fuddle
    Oh happy birthday little Oreo! I love your gift Lyn. Be very careful what you say, definately.

So many of you have been on your travels. We've never left the house since Christmas Eve (if you don't count the quick Lidl nip yesterday for a top up). It's been nice although I have had a cough and a cold since Christmas day. The eucalyptus has helped and I'm very proactive in 'getting it all ahem' because I don't want anything festering. It seems just in my nose now so please, please keep your fingers crossed it stay upper and avoids the lower airways. 5 days and clearing... hopeful is the word

A few words: knitting socks. Fire on. Films on TV. Everyone home. DH making meals. New PJs to lounge in. Seed catalogues to peruse. Cheese board, grain free crackers and caramelised onion chutney. This is the life.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 29th Dec 17, 4:26 PM
    • 11,136 Posts
    • 155,151 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Hi FUDS, love yours too, bless you, hope the girls liked their little things, they're getting to be 'young ladies' now and needed something just a little more grown up! I've been to the sales today and found John Lewis too expensive even with the slight reductions made so headed to M & S and Debenhams where I got 3 warm tops for me and a pair of shoes for the Zebra child and 2 tops for the Oreo child too, found a lovely wartime cook book in the Waterstones sale and another one in a charity shop so a successful day. Glad to be home and have a cuppa though. He Who Knows and myself have both been off colour for a few days since we got back and have now both got the sneezes and feel washed out, viruses, in all their stages are tiresome beasties aren't they?

• scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 29th Dec 17, 9:20 PM
    • 2,902 Posts
    • 57,083 Thanks
    scottishminnie
    Oh Fuddle - I have seed catalogue envy. Hubby and I were in a large diy store last night and I was loitering by the garden section drooling over the seeds. He made me leave without anything sadly but I'll be making some purchases before we leave. I just need to remember that it's still winter at home and will be for a good while yet!

Lyn - sounds like you had a wonderful time. It's lovely to see the joy of Christms through small children. Makes it so much more special.

Happy New Year to all in case I'm missing for a few days and not back before then. We are off deep sea fishing tomorrow. I am the worlds worst sailor - guaranteed to be sick as soon as we leave the marina but hubby won't go without me. The things we do for our other halves!
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 31st Dec 17, 10:24 PM
    • 9,464 Posts
    • 56,256 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    A very happy New year to everybody!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 1st Jan 18, 9:07 AM
    • 11,136 Posts
    • 155,151 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Good Morning and a very Happy New Year everyone!

I have not made new years resolutions, we never do as it sets us up to fail which isn't a good thing in a brand new year is it? I do intend to cut down on kitchen wastage this year though and try to use up what we get rather than make donations to the compost heap. This morning I found a loaf I got just after Christmas YS from a supermarket bakery had started to go stale so rather than ditch it I've sliced it thinly, sprayed it with oil spray and dried it in a slow oven to make 'rusks' which we'll have with cheese or with soup instead of biscuits or croutons. They are golden brown and cooling on a rack in the kitchen smelling delicious. I'm always pleased to get something YS but am from now on not going to buy randomly, if it's YS and on the meal plan then OK it comes home with me but there is altogether too much waste in buying in 'goodies' just because they're reduced which then later get binned. Hopefully this will cut down on outgoings from the housekeeping and might even give us more interesting meals. Wish me luck?

• pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 1st Jan 18, 9:20 AM
    • 1,895 Posts
    • 15,958 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Finally back from the sickbed , I can't believe the littlest is One already Lyn time is flying .
    I haven't caught up on any posts before this page so hope you are all well . Wishing all here Good Health and Peaceful Hearts in the year to come .
    Thought also with dear Candlelight , Hoglet and all who read .

Super Moon for Fuds and my fellow Moon Lovers . Wolf Moon tonight , it's very grey and cloudy here at the moment but even if we don't see it we know it's there !

Take care all . Stay warm and well .
    Much love
    polly x
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 1st Jan 18, 10:21 AM
    • 1,815 Posts
    • 21,726 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning to you all and a happy new year, wishing you much joy and peace throughout 2018.

Polly the moon was just sinking below the horizon when I was out and about early this morning, tinged pink and big in the sky, beautiful. Am looking forward to seeing it tonight, fingers crossed for clear skies!
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 1st Jan 18, 10:42 PM
    • 9,464 Posts
    • 56,256 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    The full moon is in all its glory shining in our back garden. I have a few small crystals which I have put out to charge in the moonlight. The beauty of the natural world is awesome.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 4th Jan 18, 10:53 AM
    • 11,136 Posts
    • 155,151 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Morning world, we're finally beginning to feel human again and the cold symptoms are lessening, I think He Who Knows is a day ahead of me as I'm still a bit 'nosey' but he seems to be very much on the mend. Just taken down the Christmas tree and taking down the outside lights so the house looks 'big' again inside and rather less cluttered which is always nice. I'm finding new houses coming on to the market now, I hoped that would happen after the holidays but as of yet nothing in the area I want, it's rather an exciting prospect to think that next Christmas might be spent in a new home! I'm going to suggest a run out to a garden centre some time today, a break from 4 walls and sneezing, to see what reductions they have and perhaps to make a start on next years presents. We went to a local one on Saturday and I found regatta childs fleece jackets for £3.49p each, amazing, so one each for the grandpickles was purchased. I love the diversity that is in garden centres these days, the only downside is that some seem to have more diversity than gardening!!!

• scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 5th Jan 18, 3:06 PM
    • 2,902 Posts
    • 57,083 Thanks
    scottishminnie
    Morning all from a very chilly Sunshine State! 5 days of just above freezing temperatures however its been gloriously sunny and dry which is a bonus. We've turned our attention to some things inside which needed done so we haven't wasted the time. We've also caught up with some friends and have taken in a couple of shows at the theatre.

We had some bad news from home earlier in the week. A friend passed away very unexpectedly and another friend is in hospital with a suspected brain tumour. Hubby is still waiting some results from medical tests he had before we left and I've been trying hard to take his minds off things but the news about our friends
    has really set him back.

I think we will go off looking for some wildlife today. Some creatures have disappeared due to the cold but we may see some less normal varieties and I believe there is an area of warmish water near a power plant where the manatees hang out when it is cooler so we will go and see what we can see there.
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 7th Jan 18, 2:44 PM
    • 2,902 Posts
    • 57,083 Thanks
    scottishminnie
    Went shopping yesterday (well more browsing really) and spotted the cake pan below. It had a further reduction so I got it for about £12. A bit of a splurge for a very seasonal item but I think I can have some fun with it. I have quite a few pieces of nordicware and they are really good. The cakes release from them quite easily.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/nordic-ware-tree-cake-pan-2016/

Just about to ring home - it looks very icy and cold so I should check up on my family and make sure everyone is ok.

Hope my friends on here are safe, well and warm.
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 8th Jan 18, 7:24 PM
    • 1,895 Posts
    • 15,958 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Just a quick one from me to let Lainey know I've had her in my thoughts today and am sending a gentle hug to you .

Still not well Super Virus led to Pleurisy and it's taking some time to recover . I feel so washed out and now we're back to medical appts all my energy is directed to getting there and back .

Take care everyone . Like Arnie I'll be back just not quite yet .

polly x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

337Posts Today

2,319Users online

Martin's Twitter