Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 18th Jul 17, 9:21 PM
    • 2,890Posts
    • 56,986Thanks
    scottishminnie
    No "T" words mentioned at all - the continuation thread
    • 18th Jul 17, 9:21 PM
    No "T" words mentioned at all - the continuation thread 18th Jul 17 at 9:21 PM
    At the suggestion of our very sensible friend Lyn (and since the gremlins have been at work deleting threads on the Old Style forum) I've started a shiny fresh new "T" word thread. Hopefully starting again will avoid us vanishing overnight (although if I could reappear as a a more streamlined version I'd consider vanishing overnight!)

The old thread is here
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3751615.

Welcome all to round two......
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
Page 10
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 4th Oct 17, 12:15 PM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 15,731 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    I echo everything Lyn has said . Thank goodness for good GPs , you may have a one in a million like ours . Your doctor seems to be like ours , he's never hurried and takes all the time needed to talk thing through .
    When you see him on Friday ask him if he is your "Nominated GP" I'm nor sure if he is already but if not he may agree to be so considering the recent health situation . Ours has a backup but we rarely see her although she's fine but not as pro active and fast moving as ours .
    As Lyn says keep talking here , don't bottle things up - apart from elderberries - talk and let go instead of dwelling on things . You're physically weakened at the moment but growing mentally stronger day by day . You know what and who is not healthy mentally to be in your life . By the time spring arrives I wouldn't like to be that man on the Lottie if he so much as raises an eyebrow in your direction .
    Rest all you can love .
    polly xxxx
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 4th Oct 17, 12:40 PM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 15,731 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    I was typing when you were posting Fuds . Candles are a little bit of Hygge for me . I always light them each evening and relax and send good vibes to all who are struggling and calm down myself if the day has been trying . "Your candle" and the one that's also lit each evening are the last bar one new one still in the box of those lavender ones . I've failed to track down the same one so far as it appears the company up north have given a licence to the NT . I bought a small one in Boots last year to try and whereas mine is a lovely deep lavender colour with a strong scent of pure English lavender the NT version is an off white and has a citrus scent and faint lavender undertones .
    The search goes on

Enjoy time with the pickles Lyn just don't come back with something else .
    On that subject I've been buying an Anti Viral and Bacteria Hand Foam for the last few years , in my bag all the year round and used daily . I had to pick up some meds yesterday and they finally had it back in stock in store on 3 for 2 offer . I normally buy the small handbag size but they had the elusive large 200ml in stock too so I bought one of those and found you could refill the smaller version from the larger .
    polly
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 4th Oct 17, 1:54 PM
    • 9,431 Posts
    • 55,670 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Fuddle at least if you're confined to quarters you are not out and about mixing with Joe Public and his amazing army of microbes! Don't forget steam inhalations are very comforting and effective, particularly with a little eucalyptus oil added.

At least you have had the chance to let mum in law know that it is not you rocking the boat, it is the other party. There may be important family events where both of you have to be there, but we know which one of you is going to be the grownup, don't we? (You could send her a giant gift wrapped garden spade for Christmas, to help with that big hole she'll be digging.)
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 4th Oct 17, 2:26 PM
    • 5,936 Posts
    • 89,652 Thanks
    fuddle
    You're all just so canny and do you know what is the best? The fact that you all care enough to write out meaningful and funny stuff! I adore you all.

Polly you have such worries with your own family and yet you come here to support others.

Nargle I have olbas oil? Could I put that in steam do you think?
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 4th Oct 17, 4:21 PM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 15,731 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    You can use olbas oil , it's been much used over the years in this house . You'll need to take care as we don't want you scalding yourself . Just put a few drops in a bowl or basin , not too big . Drape a towel over your head and the bowl and breathe . Make sure to put it on a firm surface for safety . You can rub olbas on your chest at night to help your airways too and a couple of drops on a hankie or tissue can help as well.
    pollyxxxx
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 4th Oct 17, 4:51 PM
    • 1,738 Posts
    • 20,637 Thanks
    LaineyT
    As always wise words from friends on here Fuddle can't add anything more apart from please look after yourself and accept help from MIL, concur with the comment that she's a bit between rock and hard place with her daughter causing so many problems, but you are so right to rise above it and just guard what matters, your little family.
    Sending pneumonia busting positive thoughts m'dear xx
    • elona
    • By elona 5th Oct 17, 6:13 PM
    • 11,304 Posts
    • 60,502 Thanks
    elona
    fuddle

I found olbas oil on a hanky really helped my breathing especially overnight. I used to have to sleep propped up on a V shaped pillow as otherwise my chest hurt.

Fingers crossed for you and please rest!!!!!
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 5th Oct 17, 7:34 PM
    • 9,431 Posts
    • 55,670 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    You're all just so canny and do you know what is the best? The fact that you all care enough to write out meaningful and funny stuff! I adore you all.

Polly you have such worries with your own family and yet you come here to support others.

Nargle I have olbas oil? Could I put that in steam do you think?
    Originally posted by fuddle
    Should be ok, it's a blend of different oils, a gentler smell than pure eucalyptus but still effective. You can also sprinkle a few drops in the shower and inhale it as you shower.
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 5th Oct 17, 7:38 PM
    • 9,431 Posts
    • 55,670 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Some folk swear by rubbing stuff like eucalyptus, lavender or tea tree (diluted in a carrier oil) into the soles of their feet at bedtime. You can do the same if you have a jar of Vick handy.
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 5th Oct 17, 9:46 PM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 56,986 Thanks
    scottishminnie
    Fuddle - please do take care of yourself. I had a plug in menthol thingy ages ago which I found was quite effective for helping with colds. Absolutely not close to the scale of what you have but may help a little.

Lainey - glad to hear you are enjoying having Lulu around.. I think it's a nice time of year to be out and about, especially when you have a companion!

Off for a haircut tomorrow- badly in need of a fringe trim. I'm like a highland cow looking through a hedge
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 5th Oct 17, 9:52 PM
    • 5,936 Posts
    • 89,652 Thanks
    fuddle
    Thank you everyone. I think eucalyptus to will be added to my medicine box.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 6th Oct 17, 12:34 PM
    • 5,936 Posts
    • 89,652 Thanks
    fuddle
    GP admitted me to hospital. I'm much improved but he felt I needed AV antibiotics. Bummer but I'm ok x
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 6th Oct 17, 1:02 PM
    • 11,175 Posts
    • 154,006 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Poor little FUDS, but you're obviously in the right place to be fixed and it should happen faster in hospital than it would at home because they will make sure you're rested and medicated and generally looked after. Put the world and all its woes down and just concentrate on getting back to health xxx.

Just back from those Grandpickles and we've had such a lovely couple of days, Zebra was such a sweetie yesterday and helped carry things, look after Oreo and just was GOOD! Bedtime was fun because we finished reading 'the enormous crocodile' and when he wanted another story I told him one about his mum and auntie when they were little and we went to a fete with a fancy dress competition, he loved it! Stood on the doorstep this morning to wave us off and said' you will come back soon won't you Oma?' and then smiled that little smile of his and said 'I love you Oma'.....talk about melting hearts, consider me puddled!!!

Back to routine now until next Friday when I'm off to Nell for a concert and on Sunday doing a Bronze D of E 12K walk with the newbies this year, should be fun!
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 06-10-2017 at 1:06 PM.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 6th Oct 17, 5:43 PM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 15,731 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Hopefully you'll be home quickly fuds . At least you'd been put on the stronger ABs already by your doctor . The AVs should sort it soon . Sending love and healing vibes with a waft of Lavender . Hopefully no workmen will invade the ward this time .x

Welcome home Lyn . The pickles sound lovely , big brother sounds very loving well done to Ruthie and all .
    Any news on the home buying front ? Enjoy your adventures with Nell and co .

I'm still dealing with posting problems so will wish all well . I'm trying to hold on until Monday before taking the laptop to the family techie . We shall see .
    pollyx
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 6th Oct 17, 6:08 PM
    • 11,175 Posts
    • 154,006 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Hi POLLY I've heard from FUDS and they're keeping her in overnight as they want to continue the AV antibiotics and she's a sensible girlie so she'll rest up while she's there and give herself time to start mending.

We went round two lovely houses yesterday while the Pickles were at nursery, both properties were lovely but the gardens in both cases were almost non existent and in one case totally shadowed by a nobly proportioned oak tree that grew in a tiny patch of ground not owned by anyone on the hedgeline boundary of the house. Nightmare waiting to happen and it had septic tank drainage so not for us. I DO know now though that the spec I've got for what I want is right so looking will continue until we find the right one with the right garden, has to be there so I have to be patient.

The Pickles are amazing, |I'm biased but I like them as little people and am looking forward to as long as possible to watch them grow up into big people and see who they are! xxx.

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 6th Oct 17, 6:31 PM
    • 1,738 Posts
    • 20,637 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Thanks for saying about Fuddle Lyn, more get well wishes will winging their way via candlelight this evening.
    What an affectionate little lad Zebra is, no wonder your heart melted x
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 6th Oct 17, 7:49 PM
    • 5,936 Posts
    • 89,652 Thanks
    fuddle
    What a sweety. Having met you Lyn I know exactly why he would be so excited to see you again. Yourself and HWK are smashing as are their mum and aunty so I'm sure you are going to be proud of them as young men for sure.

My friends I don't have pneumonia. Maybe the jab stopped it at the bronchitis stage after all. Maybe.

What I do have though is an impairment on my heart that is causing fluid around it and in my left lung. I've been told not to worry about so I've chosen relief that without the pneumonia getting g all the attention my heart has managed to show them what the problem is. I might not even have asthma as it is possible that my heart issue is causing breathlessness. I might get it all sorted just yet
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 6th Oct 17, 8:11 PM
    • 9,431 Posts
    • 55,670 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    You'll get there, Fuddle. Medical treatments have advanced phenomenally in that conditions that were considered life limiting a century or two ago are now a minor inconvenience. You were right to have the flu and pneumonia jabs, flu and pneumonias can kill. When swine flu appeared a few years ago even young adults were dying from it. Sounds like you have a GP who's a real switched on kid, they are like gold dust.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 7th Oct 17, 7:14 AM
    • 4,091 Posts
    • 33,700 Thanks
    Floss
    Fuds yay for medics! Hope you can soon be sorted and plot planning in the fresh air again xx
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 7th Oct 17, 3:06 PM
    • 11,175 Posts
    • 154,006 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Heard from FUDS again this morning, she's fine but they are keeping her until Monday at the earliest as it's better for her to be there and looked after than struggling on at home. She's understandably not delirious about it but knows it's for the best reasons.

Successful trip to the city this morning resulted in 2 x pairs each of lovely snuggly warm pyjamas for the Grandpickles for Christmas, result!!!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,690Posts Today

7,031Users online

Martin's Twitter