Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,198Posts
    • 29,317Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - £555.59
Page 82
    • wondercollie
    • By wondercollie 12th Oct 17, 2:11 PM
    • 1,118 Posts
    • 8,371 Thanks
    wondercollie
    You lot have made my cry. WonderCollie is slowing down. Getting stiff, turning into an old man dog. Still enjoys short walks and meeting people. But we see him aging in front of us and I'm afraid of the day of his final vet visit. I'm praying he leaves us in his sleep.
    • jamanda
    • By jamanda 12th Oct 17, 4:53 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 7,645 Thanks
    jamanda
    Monna, you have made me cry.

Last year I picked up a dog which had been thrown out of a car. He was about 10 months old, starved, covered in his own excrement, had his leg broken when he was thrown out, and had apparently been kept in a cage too small for him - probably in a shed, because he had never seen "outside".

I had to have his nails clipped so he could learn to walk, feed every 2 hours day and night for around a week, etc. etc.

Following the loss of our beloved Bonnie, I had already just bought a lurcher pup, who looked after him with me. I now have a very bouncy, rather paranoid border collie who thinks he died and went to heaven. Lots of food, big basket of toys/chews, humans to cuddle him and a big doggie brother. The love he gives is absolutely amazing.

I'm still snivelling.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 12th Oct 17, 5:33 PM
    • 4,996 Posts
    • 52,348 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Dear Lyn, your post about our Docky reminded me of a piece I once read.

It may even have been on here, but even so I think it bears repetition.

Before humans die, they write their Will and Testament, give their home and all their possessions to those they leave behind.

If with my paws I could do the same, this is what I'd ask.

To a poor, lonely stray I'd give my happy home. My bowl and cosy bed and all my toys.
    The lap that I loved so much.
    The hand that stroked my fur and the sweet voice that spoke my name.

I'd will to the scared shelter cat and dog the place I had in my human's loving heart, of which there seems to be no bounds.

So when I die, please do not say, "I will never have another pet again, for the loss and pain is more than I can bear."

Instead, go find an unloved cat or dog, one whose life has held no joy or hope,
    and give MY place to THEM.

This is the only thing I can give............the love I left behind.

That will do for the Thought for Today.
    Originally posted by monnagran
    Oh, monna I'd so love a new cat, but we can't at the moment.

And OH sounds to me as if he's starting to think it would be nice to have a dog!

DD1's little Battersea mutt is elderly now and i dread her going, I don't know how DD will cope without her.
    Last edited by ivyleaf; 12-10-2017 at 5:38 PM.
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 12th Oct 17, 9:25 PM
    • 1,043 Posts
    • 23,372 Thanks
    MMF007
    Oh Monna, that's lovely. My SIL has just had to say the big goodbye to her beloved dog and she is really distraught.

Today I spent a joyous 5 hours playing with paint and collage materials at an art class It was such fun. I now have a (very) abstract peice of art that requires some finishing touches, and some great ideas for xmas cards. Can't wait til the weekend so I can get my craft stuff out for some experiments

I have to work tomorrow and inbetween clients I have to pick up some elderly neighbours and transport them to a 90th birthday party, then dash back to the next village for another client, then back to the party to take them home again. Oh, and I have to wrap their gift for them because they struggle due to arthritis. Also got to source a spare bulb for a fridge, a tack hammer, and some vacuum bags. And... ... get milk and bread for my elderly auntie and deliver that.
    You can imagine my reaction when DH asked me to collect some machinery he has in for repair tnat is in the opposite direction!

Roll on Friday night
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 12th Oct 17, 9:36 PM
    • 3,195 Posts
    • 40,224 Thanks
    monnagran
    I'm glad you liked the piece. I must admit that it gets to me every time I read it.

I think of our dear old Millie who spent the early part of her life fending for herself on the streets until someone caught her and took her to a shelter. I think she is still worried that one day her food won't appear. I've never known a dog who could tell the time before. If I'm even 5 minutes late producing her dinner she is nudging me.

We're still not quite sure how old she is. The vet thinks she is a couple of years older than we thought, which would make her 13 or 14 ish.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 13th Oct 17, 8:54 AM
    • 4,996 Posts
    • 52,348 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Oh poor Millie, thank goodness she was rescued and came to such a loving home.

MMF007
    Did your DH understand why you weren't too keen to collect his machinery?

Can it really be Friday again already?
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 14th Oct 17, 9:42 AM
    • 4,996 Posts
    • 52,348 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Oh dear, I seem to have killed the thread Obviously everyone was very busy yesterday!
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 14th Oct 17, 9:51 AM
    • 3,293 Posts
    • 52,476 Thanks
    silvasava
    No Ivyleaf - just RL getting in the way! My dental appointment out of the way yesterday and DH has 2 more. I dropped 2 bags of stuff into CS and then did a shop. DS2 came round in the afternoon so that put paid to most of the day. Not sure what I'll be up to today - the list is long
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 14th Oct 17, 9:52 AM
    • 1,043 Posts
    • 23,372 Thanks
    MMF007
    Yep, Very busy yesterday, running the older folk to and from the party.I drove through one junction at least 10 times, picking up and dropping off in several goes. DH said that if the police ever review cctv footage of the village yesterday I shall be under investigation for my suspicious activities!
    Everyone had a good time at the party and I got all my job done and then kept my elderly auntie company for 40 mins while she awaited a delivery (she asked me to wait so the delivery man wouldn't stop chatting for ages because she gets fed up when he does that!).
    I was home in time to put a small chicken in to roast about 20 mins before DH rang to say he wanted fish n chips for tea. Doh!

Must get a wriggle on, house looks like a tip and I have to go into town on some errands too. At least the sun is shining and it's very warm
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 14th Oct 17, 10:12 AM
    • 3,293 Posts
    • 52,476 Thanks
    silvasava
    Grey & overcast here despite the weather forecast - at least all the washing has been done!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 14th Oct 17, 10:32 AM
    • 3,254 Posts
    • 38,933 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    I'm rushed off my feet at work, trying to get everything done next Thursday.

No boats to clean this weekend.

Overcast here but very mild, just need to see what CHS wants to do today.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 14th Oct 17, 11:20 AM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 27,504 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    I'm rushed off my feet at work, trying to get everything done next Thursday.
    Originally posted by Hard Up Hester
    I'd love to be a fly on the wall the first week back after half term.....
    • karcher
    • By karcher 14th Oct 17, 11:41 AM
    • 1,544 Posts
    • 13,020 Thanks
    karcher
    Hello

I haven't been reading or posting recently, so I hope all is well with you all. That pesky life stuff has had me in turmoil

Not much else to say really, but I will try and have a read back this afternoon.

Take care all x
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 14th Oct 17, 3:19 PM
    • 3,195 Posts
    • 40,224 Thanks
    monnagran
    Hester, it really is the count down now. I have laid by a glass of cheap sherry for a celebration on your last day. Oh yes, I know how things are done in the best circles.
    I'll join cranky and we'll climb up the wall together.

Relieved to see you back karcher. Just remember that when all else fails, self indulgence is the way to go.

Hi, m3artificialgrass. We always welcome fellow mse'ers from the other side of the Atlantic. Do you actually hail from the New World or are you an escapee from the UK?

Well, I've been frantically scrubbing stains off carpets, stuffing all manner of detritus into bin bags ready to be transported up to the family's new abode. If I had my way it would be transported to the nearest tip, but not my decision to make.
    I have also shifted several tons of plastic toys, also mostly destined for the tip. Those things that looked too good for the tip I've kept back. There is a sort of metal mini-shed !!! bunker in the garden that just holds garden chairs, a table and maybe some cushions. Well, now it holds all those things plus a ride-in plastic car, a rocking horse, an oar, (don't know what's happened to the other one), a plastic sand tray, a wheelbarrow and a tricycle. Heaven knows how I got it all in, it'll take a tin opener to get it all out again.
    Obviously I couldn't quite close the door, so I've propped a heavy pink, stone pig (don't ask, it's DILs) against it to try and keep it closed.
    If the wind is as fierce as they keep threatening on Monday night I won't have to be drunk to see flying pigs.

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. How's it going burtha?

THOUGHT FOR TODAY.

Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.
    Last edited by monnagran; 14-10-2017 at 3:21 PM.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 14th Oct 17, 3:25 PM
    • 3,195 Posts
    • 40,224 Thanks
    monnagran
    Apparently the word c.u.m. between shed and bunker is deeply offensive. Sorry.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 14th Oct 17, 3:48 PM
    • 3,293 Posts
    • 52,476 Thanks
    silvasava
    Honi soit qui mal y pense Monna
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 14th Oct 17, 4:07 PM
    • 3,254 Posts
    • 38,933 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Lol monna, first you worked out the word I typed about piercing the sloes and now you type the word so beloved school toilet graffiti writers.
    I shall remain sober after my last day at work as I have to be up at 5 to drive CHS to work!!
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 14th Oct 17, 4:57 PM
    • 3,293 Posts
    • 52,476 Thanks
    silvasava
    Hester we will need a blow by blow account of your last day and a photo of you after you've swished out of the door for the last time with a self satisfied smile
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 14th Oct 17, 5:55 PM
    • 3,589 Posts
    • 41,815 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Nearly liberation day HH, don't knock yourself out trying to get everything done, leave a great big pile of work locked away somewhere!

I was taking a friend's DD out to have her nails done as a birthday treat and decided to nip to the library before we left - a 10 minute trip you would think. There are roadworks along the way with cones everywhere, potholes all over the place and a dirty great kerbstone playing chicken in the road. Yes, I hit it. One shredded tyre, a phone call to local tyre saviours, an hour and a half and a bill for £100! How I wish I had walked.

Anyway, the young lady is thrilled with her nails (she's 12) and we were treated to lunch by her granny.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 14th Oct 17, 6:08 PM
    • 4,103 Posts
    • 33,854 Thanks
    Floss
    Camelot you should report that to the council and whoever's dug up the road, as you shouldn't have been faced with kerbstones in the road!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

251Posts Today

1,336Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin