Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,198Posts
    • 29,317Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - £555.59
Page 76
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 4th Oct 17, 7:11 PM
    • 1,868 Posts
    • 23,968 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Cookies only make you fat monna. I am forgoing all things sweet in an effort to lose some weight.

If anyone know how to do sugar free baking I may have a go. Not Victoria sponge cakes though neither of us like them.

The cookies recipe did say turn you fan off in your oven. I could not turn it off in the cooker at the last house where I made the cookies, the temperature was a bit dodgy too. I can't turn it off on the oven I bought when we moved here.

If you have not thrown it out monna looks like Bigjenny has solved your problem.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 4th Oct 17, 7:21 PM
    • 5,943 Posts
    • 89,733 Thanks
    fuddle

I used to love jam making.
    Originally posted by monnagran
    Given we share such a brusque yet tongue in cheek sense of humour (I get mine from my dad and being with DH for 15 years, howdya get yours ) these few words made me giggle dear monna.

Bigjenny I love it when you pop up offering snippets of usefulness.
    • Bigjenny
    • By Bigjenny 4th Oct 17, 8:01 PM
    • 512 Posts
    • 5,513 Thanks
    Bigjenny
    Thank you, Google usually provides the answer
    "When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us" Alexander Graham Bell
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 5th Oct 17, 10:18 AM
    • 4,995 Posts
    • 52,343 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    You lot aren't half lovely
    • babs 103
    • By babs 103 5th Oct 17, 10:38 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    babs 103
    Need help with.... well amost everything
    Hi all, I hope you don't mind me butting in and that I am in the right place, if not please feel free to kick me out and tell me where to go (not literally !) I have been a lurker for quite a while now and you all seem so nice to each other I thought I would risk a post.

I find myself going round in circles trying to sort my life out and if this continues I shall end up going round and round and disappearing up the usual place.

I live with my disabled DH in a small one bedroom flat, we moved from a 3 bedroom house 5 years ago and I'm still trying to get straight in the flat as well as in my head.

I am trying to get rid of stuff we no longer need, some of it moved in with us and isn't out of boxes yet. I start to do something then get distracted easily. Aslo my DH is the sort of person who dislikes throwing anything out, either in the bin or to a CS. The tops of my wardrobes are full of games we never play and small figurines and collectors toys of DH, I brought shelves for them but they are still behind the sofa waiting to be put up.

I cannot seem to get focused on anything and tbh it's stopping me do the other things I would like to do.

I get my shopping delivered once a week which is costing me more money as I have to have £40 in the basket for me to use the delivery saver and therefore I have enough tins to last for at least 2 years and nowhere to store them. I do not have a car and if I need anything like milk I have a 20 minute walk to town, which only has one v expensive supermarket. This I have to do very early so I'm back to get DH up and showered. I have absolutely no-one to talk to as we have moved so many times friends have dropped off the radar, and when I tried to do voluntary work I couldn't because I needed 2 references. This is just a few of my problems and I can't see the wood for the trees at the moment.

Sorry I've gone on so long, but I really hope I've found somewhere to feel at home and help as well as be helped. Thank you for listening. x
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 5th Oct 17, 10:44 AM
    • 3,190 Posts
    • 40,158 Thanks
    monnagran
    Thanks for that Bigjenny. Actually I soaked all the utensils overnight and most of the apple rubber washed off this morning. I did try a bit of the residue on the tip of a spoon. It was revolting.

I will try again though, never know when I'm beaten.

fuddle, I don't know about a sense of humour, I thought I just said things as they were and not as I would like them to be. However, my mother passed on a real love of words and the ability to use them for the greatest impact. My brother inherited that ability as well.
    My darling Dad never wrote one unnecessary word. If you had a card from him it contained one word, "Dad." If he was feeling particularly expansive it could be, "From Dad." Or even, "Love, Dad." My eldest granddaughter won the jackpot when, as a small girl she received a birthday card, "To a very special little lady, from a very old great-grandad."
    She, and we, never recovered and it was never repeated.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 5th Oct 17, 10:53 AM
    • 5,943 Posts
    • 89,733 Thanks
    fuddle
    Maybe it's just my sense of humour that turns your unfortunate events into hilarity. Oh my fancy being a person who laughs at others' misfortunes! (Does that need to be after the s on others? My thinking is the misfortunes belong to the others so they need the appropriate grammar. Go on, teach meh )

I don't know what to make of your dad really... maybe he just mellowed as he got older.
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 5th Oct 17, 11:13 AM
    • 424 Posts
    • 6,624 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Babs, that does sound tough and rather lonely.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 5th Oct 17, 11:18 AM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 15,731 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Welcome babs . There are a number of old style threads that can help with clutter , hoarding , shopping , budgeting etc . If I wasn't rubbish at doing links I would do some for you .
    You're very welcome to stay with us here on the Fence . You sound pretty overwhelmed so we can can help you sort your thoughts and make a plan .
    Those here having experienced pretty well all situations will have advice and support to offer. Sticky keys at the moment so will tackle that and be back in a while .
    polly
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 5th Oct 17, 11:26 AM
    • 5,943 Posts
    • 89,733 Thanks
    fuddle
    Babs I am so sorry I didn't welcome you. I'm actually really poorly at the moment and have to admit that I read your post and felt I couldn't muster up the energy to think and type. I then came back and saw monna had replied about the sense of humour and very rudely forgot to say hello.

Babs if you're feeling overwhelmed you have come to the right place. I look forward to interacting with you if you would like to stay.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 5th Oct 17, 12:13 PM
    • 4,100 Posts
    • 33,829 Thanks
    Floss
    hi Babs

Fuds hope you are stable & not worserer? Am sitting in breezy sunshine inside the lean-to "conservatory" on the lottie thinking about you plotting your plot for next year!
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 5th Oct 17, 12:23 PM
    • 5,943 Posts
    • 89,733 Thanks
    fuddle
    I went downhill last night floss. It's took hold before the different antib's got in my system. I'm still home. You're a goodun' I've been writing my idea down while worrying about the garlic I planted and whether the birds have nicked 'em!
    • babs 103
    • By babs 103 5th Oct 17, 12:40 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    babs 103
    Wow what a nice welcome, Don't apologise fuddle, I'm sorry you are under the weather and hope you feel better soon. Once I get the hang of emojis I'll send you a hug if I may.

I will check out the other boards pollyanna26

Thanks for all your welcomes I hope to fit in here.

My plan is to try and clear the clutter first before sorting out the rest of my life, but find it hard to concentrate on one thing for long, I did think of clearing stuff from one part of a room (not touching DH's stuff yet) and trying to keep that clear for a while before moving onto something else, but I don't know how long for or if the rest of the flat will get worse. Does that make sense at all? sorry if I'm rambling.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 5th Oct 17, 12:52 PM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 15,731 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    fuds Everything including my eyes will be crossed for the stronger ABs to start doing their work asap . X

babs My life runs on lists although sometimes I forget where they are . As your husband is reluctant to part with things. I would make the food bills , meals and everyday things where you begin now .
    If you have a note book or pad you can put in one place you can work out what you need to do each day , don't write down loads , as a carer you sound as though it's hands on care so your time will be limited .
    Just one or two things to start with .
    How far are you from less expensive shops ? Is it affordable to take a taxi both ways having compared prices with your present basket ?
    If your money runs monthly you could stock up on heavier things .
    I've no idea of the nature of your husbands needs but if it takes up a lot of the time have you considered some help . If he is on disability benefit he may be entitled to free care for a little time .
    Unless you're retired are you his registered carer? If so have you contacted the carers association in your area ?
    Apologies for all the questions , just trying to get a picture of what to advise .
    polly (still with sticky keys!)
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 5th Oct 17, 12:55 PM
    • 12,253 Posts
    • 216,244 Thanks
    greenbee
    babs - if your online shop is causing you issues because you need to make the £40 minimum, might it not be worth you paying the delivery charge one week and just getting what you need? Or seeing whether you can get enough fresh stuff one week to stretch into the second?

If it's milk & bread that need buying weekly, then look at either UHT or filtered milk that lasts longer, and see if you can find room to freeze bread. If it's veg, then plan to use fresh veg first and then frozen/tinned for a few days. TBH, I get a weekly veg box and occasionally get milk/yogurt (although I mostly make my own) with it, and the veg lasts well over a week if I plan carefully.

The other thing to consider is whether there is a milkman in your area. Many of them deliver more than just milk.

Also look for community support groups. We have a village 'cafe' set up by volunteers which is a great community resource, but there's also a group that will provide lifts to the next village for shopping/doctors appointments and help with hospital transport too. It also sounds as if you could do with a bit of time to yourself, so see what you can get in terms of help with DH so that you can have the occasional break and maybe look forward to that walk into town and a cup of coffee away from home.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 5th Oct 17, 1:04 PM
    • 5,943 Posts
    • 89,733 Thanks
    fuddle
    Babs I don't know if this is an option for you but I believe that asda's home delivery minimum is £25.

Thank you polly but honestly uncross thy eyes. I've aleady got that candle bill, I don't want an optician one too!
    Last edited by fuddle; 05-10-2017 at 1:18 PM.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 5th Oct 17, 1:21 PM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 15,731 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    That's a good point about Asda . I don't shop online so have no idea of delivery charges .
    The candles are lit with love and no charge . I've got this far without my eyes staying crossed when the wind changes I reckon I'm safe .

babs If you will feel better making a start on the clutter try to find one area in a specific room , perhaps the room where you sit in the evening and start there gradually filling a bag over the days . You need to think how you will dispose of things . Rubbish for the bin , any thing still usable for charity shops, some will collect by arrangement .
    polly
    • carolbee
    • By carolbee 5th Oct 17, 1:29 PM
    • 973 Posts
    • 6,419 Thanks
    carolbee
    Babs, I've seen the tip somewhere of setting a timer for say 10/15 minutes, and just clearing, cleaning etc for that time. Would that help?

Sorry you are struggling, there will be loads of ideas come through from the lovely people on here
    Carolbee
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 5th Oct 17, 1:35 PM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 15,731 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    carolbee Elaine aka Memory Girl on the threads does the timer thing . It's amazing what you can do in five minutes . Part of my pacing - when I remember - is 15mins and then rest for 15mins ..

Each letter I type is taking nearly a minute to show on the screen so need to log out and try to sort the problem .
    polly
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 5th Oct 17, 2:45 PM
    • 14,167 Posts
    • 132,321 Thanks
    mardatha
    Babs add the week's milk to the online shop. I've done this for years, we buy 3x 6pt cartons of milk every week and it never goes off. We drink a lot of tea
    You can freeze milk, but when it thaws out you have to keep shaking it. I used to freeze it until I found out it lasted the week in the fridge anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

157Posts Today

2,781Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin