Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,193Posts
    • 29,284Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - £585.59
Page 75
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 2nd Oct 17, 8:24 PM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 15,731 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    That's good news on the tooth ivyleaf.

It was a wild , wet and very windy night here last night . I hope tomorrow will be better it's been cold and horrible today .
    After hearing of not very nice milkmen I think I need to wrap mine in bubblewrap in case he falls of the float . I'm certainly going to double the Christmas box I put in his card . I think I'm very lucky, my milk was outside when I opened the front door at 7am this morning carefully tucked behind a big heavy pot to stop it flying in the wind .
    Maybe it makes a difference that everything from the dairy herds to the doorstep delivery have been via generations of one family for 78 years.
    Hope the wind wasn't too bad up the hill Mar.
    Take care all
    polly
    Last edited by pollyanna 26; 02-10-2017 at 8:46 PM. Reason: Another typo!
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 2nd Oct 17, 9:24 PM
    • 1,864 Posts
    • 23,917 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    polly if you had not said you were going to double your milkman's Christmas box I would have suggested you did. I think is the only type of milkman that exists any more.

Our corner shop gets his from Jacksons Dairy, I can't remember if it was us, or one of my aunts, when I was a child I do remember bring milk in regularly when I was quite young. I know my mum would never have the Co-op because she said they watered it down. Milk and bread was all she did not buy from the co-op.

I wonder if they still deliver milk to houses. If we end up in one of the areas we are looking at I will have to go on the bus to get to a shop. I don't mind that but I am blowed if I will do it for a bottle of milk. I would rather have it delivered.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 2nd Oct 17, 9:29 PM
    • 1,864 Posts
    • 23,917 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    I forgot! Brilliant that your tooth counted in the same price as your recent treatment ivyleaf

Milk delivered at 1 am would be fine for us as DS could bring it in at 2.30 am when he gets up. It used to be that only milkmen and bakers got up at that time.
    Last edited by nursemaggie; 02-10-2017 at 10:35 PM.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 2nd Oct 17, 10:07 PM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 15,731 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    polly if you had not said you were going to double your milkman's Christmas box I would have suggested you did. I think is the only type of milkman that exists any more.

Our corner shop gets his from Jacksons Dairy, I can't remember if it was us, or one of my aunts, when I was a child I do remember bring milk in regularly when I was quite young. I know my mum would never have the Co-op because she said they watered it down. Milk and bread was all she did not buy from the co-op.

I wonder if they still deliver milk to houses. If we end up in one of the areas we are looking at I will have to go on the bus to get to a shop. I don't mind that but I am blowed if I will do it for a bottle of milk. I would rather have it delivered.
    Originally posted by nursemaggie
    You've no idea how often I've blessed that delivery . We have a little coop but it's quite a walk in bad weather or if I'm not feeling too good .
    Jackson's dairy rings a bell with me . Sometimes a bottle will have a different name on the bottle to our dairy . I finally asked our man as I wondered if they weren't replacing breakages following the recent letter and running things down . It turned out when there is a problem with the bottling machinery dairies help each other out by loaning bottles .
    When you move it would be good if you could have a decent delivery .I imagine there are many times you struggle to get out between all the appointments . If I drag myself to the coop i always end up picking up other stuff to make the trip worthwhile and end up with a heavy bag to carry home .
    Hope you're ok . It's really cold here tonight . I think I'll be taking a hot water bottle to bed tonight . Shame we aren't heading for Spring .
    Take care
    polly
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 2nd Oct 17, 10:30 PM
    • 14,138 Posts
    • 132,168 Thanks
    mardatha
    Was really windy yes - but the wind hit us end-on from the top of the street. I'm in the middle of a terrace of 4, so we heard it more than felt it. If that makes sense
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 2nd Oct 17, 10:34 PM
    • 1,864 Posts
    • 23,917 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Yes I think they were all over the north. Northern Dairies was the other one I definitely had them before we moved from York, mum probably did too.

I don't have any problem at the moment with the corner shop just across the road but when we move into the suburbs proper we will not have them. I'ts rather like Coronation street round here a shop on nearly every corner. I used to keep a couple of cartons of UHT milk in but now it is dearer than fresh.

Yes it is cold I switched on the living room heater tonight so we will have a bit of heat in a couple of days. I wish we were heading for spring too.

good night.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 3rd Oct 17, 6:13 PM
    • 5,936 Posts
    • 89,637 Thanks
    fuddle
    I'm after a preserving tip if I may?

I have £2.70odd worth of ginger root in the fridge which is a lot of ginger root. I made an error in my grocery order at the weekend... doofus!

Although I'm using it with the elderberry syrup I would like to try to preserve it in some way. Any ideas?
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 3rd Oct 17, 6:14 PM
    • 12,241 Posts
    • 216,157 Thanks
    greenbee
    Stick it in the freezer fuddle. You can take chunks off it as you need it.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 3rd Oct 17, 6:28 PM
    • 5,936 Posts
    • 89,637 Thanks
    fuddle
    Ah fantastic! Much appreciated
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 3rd Oct 17, 8:03 PM
    • 3,177 Posts
    • 39,964 Thanks
    monnagran
    I love the sound of the elderberry syrup but have lost my source of elderberries once I had stopped living next to churchyard. Is there a source of dried elderberries anywhere? I just wonder if health food shops stock them.
    I don't suffer from coughs and colds but should one sneak up on me I would like to be prepared.

It's awful isn't it, when you can either have a pleasant place to live OR access to a shop but not both. I feel for you nm. I don't know where I would be without my in-your-face jazzy shopping trolley. I don't mind the walking to the shop, but carrying heavy loads back is no fun at all.
    My new neighbours have moved in next door. Met Mr New Neighbour today and we had a right giggle. Shame that eventually I will sell my house, (pleeese!) because I think we would get on well.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 3rd Oct 17, 8:08 PM
    • 5,936 Posts
    • 89,637 Thanks
    fuddle
    I'm going with these online monna http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Dried_Elderberries_500g.html 500g for that price is ok I think because I've seen 125g at just a pound less on health food websites. I still have some sources around me but I doubt I'll be out walking for a while now.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 3rd Oct 17, 10:09 PM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 15,731 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Fuds Mince or finely chop Fresh Ginger , Garlic and De-seeded Chillies and put them in ice cube trays . Open freeze and then store in freezer boxes ( you could use bags ) It means whether I need one or all they are always available ready prepped .

Monna Good to hear you have nice neighbours , maybe they'll have family or friends who will fall in love with your house . Failing that you'll have to make the "awful house " sign .

Thinking of burtha, Karcher and all and hope Softstuff and her husband are flu free .

polly
    • Floss
    • By Floss 3rd Oct 17, 10:49 PM
    • 4,090 Posts
    • 33,688 Thanks
    Floss
    Fuds thats who my DH buys his beer ingredients from
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 4th Oct 17, 7:55 AM
    • 14,138 Posts
    • 132,168 Thanks
    mardatha
    Am I right in thinking that elderberries make Sambucol?
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 4th Oct 17, 10:43 AM
    • 11,175 Posts
    • 154,004 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Yes you are MAR, latin genus for elder Sambuccus Niger!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 4th Oct 17, 3:09 PM
    • 3,177 Posts
    • 39,964 Thanks
    monnagran
    Thanks for that Fuddle. I will be following that up. Though with this morning's experience in mind I'm not so sure that I should be let loose on elderberry syrup.

Let me elucidate.

I recently read a recipe on here for apple jelly, Now I'm not a stranger to apple jelly. Years ago I had crab apple trees in an orchard and made tons of the stuff. As I have been given bags of apples I thought I would make some delicious apple jelly. As the recipe looked dead easy and I approve of things being dead easy, I followed it to the letter.
    I can only apologise to whoever posted the recipe. After I had boiled the jelly to setting point I stirred it and laid the spoon on the work top. Readers, I had to chisel that spoon off the work top.
    My jelly was a beautiful clear pale pink. This jelly was maroon. Nothing daunted I proceeded to pour it into the jars that I had lovingly prepared. Correction. The JAR that I had lovingly prepared. The jelly had mysteriously shrunk in volume.

I left it to cool a little while I washed up all the utensils. At that point I became suspicious. However much I scraped, chiselled and scoured, that jelly, (I was still calling it jelly at that point) would not shift. I cautiously tipped the jar up. Nothing moved. I tried to plunge a teaspoon into the jelly. The teaspoon bounced off the surface.
    Now, what to do? Do I throw it into the food waste bin or the recycling bin. One thing I know. That jelly and that jar are welded together for all eternity.

I think I'll go and fall on my sword.
    Last edited by monnagran; 04-10-2017 at 3:12 PM.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 4th Oct 17, 3:55 PM
    • 1,864 Posts
    • 23,917 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Oh monna what can I say! I have done worse I made some chocolate chip cookies a couple of years ago, they stuck tight to the tray. I eventually chipped them off in pieces. The surface of the tins was stuck to the cookies. I may as well have thrown the trays in the bin with the cookies as neither were any use anymore. That is the only baking of mine that DS has experienced so he thinks I am a hopeless baker.

I am still have most of the 3kg of flour DS bought for £1. The tub it is in is too big to go in the cupboard. I know it will go off if I don't use it within a year. I hate food waste.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 4th Oct 17, 4:09 PM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 15,731 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Monna I have no idea what went wrong with the jelly but as NM says we all have those moments . You may have created a form of super glue that would be more effective than any other but we'll never know . If you have any soda crystals you could try soaking the jar if you haven't binned it . Which bin is a dilemma as glass can't be in a food bin and here all glass needs to be clean before binning for recycling. If it wasn't for the fact the jelly would go off the jar could be an interesting feature with a few flowers in when viewers call .

NM If you have any space in the freezer some of the flour could be frozen in small amounts . Can't see you'll have much space but it may help .

polly
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 4th Oct 17, 5:53 PM
    • 3,177 Posts
    • 39,964 Thanks
    monnagran
    nursemaggie, I'll swap you concrete jelly for flour. I'll even make you some choc chip cookies and send them up to you. I love baking.

I used to love jam making.
    • Bigjenny
    • By Bigjenny 4th Oct 17, 5:59 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 5,503 Thanks
    Bigjenny
    Monna, don't know if this will help you rescue your jelly http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/jelly-set-too-hard-514/
    Last edited by Bigjenny; 04-10-2017 at 6:02 PM.
    "When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us" Alexander Graham Bell
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,498Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin