Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,182Posts
    • 29,196Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    OS Weight Loss 5.26/10

V3ry - £607.34
Page 59
    • thriftmonster
    • By thriftmonster 6th Sep 17, 1:24 PM
    • 1,602 Posts
    • 7,321 Thanks
    thriftmonster
    Gosh and I thought the ones I bought ds2 in the Factory place were expensive - £12 for 3. Have to say I buy dh's in MrT.

£50 a pair - seriously? I wouldn't pay that for a bra, and to quote Peg Bracken, good engineering costs.
    I will not have my life narrowed down. I will not bow down to somebody else's whim or to somebody else's ignorance. - Bell Hooks

Others have seen what is and asked why. I have seen what could be and asked why not - Pablo Picasso
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 6th Sep 17, 1:30 PM
    • 3,119 Posts
    • 39,114 Thanks
    monnagran
    mar, tell him to wear them carefully. They've got to last a long time.

Honestly burtha, words fail me, and they don't often do that.
    I know just what you mean when you say that you don't recognise him as the man you married. I bet you are waiting for the door to open and the man that you have loved and cared for, for 20 years to walk in, not the stranger who seems to have taken over his body... it's always like that when it all happens so suddenly.
    Soon you will be able to look back and recognise hints of what he was capable of being although you didn't notice it at the time. Or perhaps you did but explained it away or brushed it off.

He is properly destroying himself in his children's eyes, isn't he? They are not fools and will soon accept the fact that they no longer need or even want him in their lives. As you so rightly say, he will be the loser.
    In the meantime you will all survive as the tight family unit that will care for each other, laugh together and make a success of your lives.
    Pratface and Lilo Lil can go to hell in whichever way they choose.

I have just dried my tears. DIL posted me a picture of Pickle all dressed up in her school uniform ready to start school this morning. She looked so grown-up with her hair in plants, - p.l.a.i.t.s - very short plaits but still, and her school cardigan rolled up at the wrists as it has been bought to last. Apparently she walked in, hung her coat and bag on her peg, turned to her proud parents and said, "You can go now."
    They hung around for a bit feeling, as DS2 said, like spare parts, while other children around wept and clung to their parents.
    Eventually the teacher came out and informed them that Pickle was quite happy organising where everyone should sit. That's my girl. The only people who wept were the adults in her family!
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 6th Sep 17, 1:50 PM
    • 2,614 Posts
    • 27,048 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Monna Pickle may be ready for school but I'm not sure school is ready for Pickle

I'm tired today as we finally had a decent night's sleep last night (isn't that always the way?). I filled the cat's water bowl up first thing then trod in it five minutes later. I may as well have poured the whole lot straight onto the kitchen floor. On the plus side the floor is now very clean in there.

Burtha words definitely don't fail me but if I wrote down what I was thinking I'd be banned.....
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 6th Sep 17, 2:19 PM
    • 4,955 Posts
    • 51,866 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Sainsbugs had them last year for £8 odd nm and M&Co have them now for £12. Wish I'd got. them there instead lol. It's his birthday on Fri so I told him them knickers are yer pressie.
    Originally posted by mardatha
    I remember back in the 70's my OH being shocked when he needed new shoes and they cost more than £5

thriftmonster I have a very tattered copy of The I Hate to Housekeep Book on my shelf. I can't part with it, especially as Peg Bracken has died. I used to have The I Hate to Cook Book as well, but I let that go as I never cooked anything from it. It was fun to read though .
    Last edited by ivyleaf; 06-09-2017 at 2:26 PM.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 6th Sep 17, 3:49 PM
    • 1,837 Posts
    • 23,523 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Supermarket underpants don't fit DS. They are usually in the bin within three months. Supermarkets don't make the only style that fits him.

£50 a pair is the starting point for designer underpants.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 6th Sep 17, 5:08 PM
    • 4,706 Posts
    • 20,389 Thanks
    Slinky
    Burtha I don't often post on this thread, but your situation reminds me a little of when my mother left us all when I was in my mid teens. She continued to waltz back in and out of our home as it suited her for a couple of years, when she finally went, she wondered why it was my sibling and I would have nothing to do with her. She told everybody my darling Dad had 'turned the children against her'. No dear, you managed that all by yourself. 35 years on we still have nothing to do with her. She didn't just leave my Dad, there was never any talk of us going with her. We were an inconvenience in the new life she wanted for herself. Damned if I'll ever have anything to do with her ever again, and that was all down to her.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 6th Sep 17, 5:47 PM
    • 5,897 Posts
    • 89,138 Thanks
    fuddle
    Floss I wrote to CCG right at the beginning to complain but they replied saying they didn't deal with surgery complaints but having read your message earlier this afternoon I have just sent an email to them asking for their stance on not being able to access treatment that has been written in consultant notes, any information about the availability of the vaccine and information about what to do when the vaccine is not accessible. I talked about the consultant and hospital stay and not being able to access treatment that was required there so hopefully I've worded it in a way that will help get some sort of answer so thanks for that tack.

I have started my complaint letter. I'm annoyed about it today.

I had two hours peace and quiet on my allotment, the first since I got it as I got it the first week of the summer holidays. I've also been able to collect flower seeds from the dead flowers in next doors garden. Freebie flower bed next year then

Mince and onion in gravy with dumplings and cabbage coming up any minute now.

And Kitchener stitch? Stinks! It's on YouTube and I watch, and watch and cannat fathom it. I'm scared to have a go incase I ruin the ruddy sock!
    Last edited by fuddle; 06-09-2017 at 5:50 PM.
    Good enough is good enough.

BMI - Oct: 31.8 Nov: 30.3
    • Floss
    • By Floss 6th Sep 17, 7:40 PM
    • 4,020 Posts
    • 32,865 Thanks
    Floss
    Fuds good plan! Hopefully will get a good result too
    • Puffinbertha
    • By Puffinbertha 6th Sep 17, 8:20 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    Puffinbertha

And Kitchener stitch? Stinks! It's on YouTube and I watch, and watch and cannat fathom it. I'm scared to have a go incase I ruin the ruddy sock!
    Originally posted by fuddle
    After 50+ years of "sock knitting fear" (from schooldays) I finally started sock knitting a couple of years ago and now love it.

I use this http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer04/FEATtheresasum04.html for Kitchener stitch.

(apologies for butting in xx)
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 6th Sep 17, 10:23 PM
    • 14,098 Posts
    • 131,628 Thanks
    mardatha
    Fuddle, google "The Zen of Kitchener Stitch" and then go to images. You'll get a big poster thingy that's really clear to follow.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 7th Sep 17, 7:16 AM
    • 3,429 Posts
    • 40,799 Thanks
    maryb
    The best tip I ever had was, after you've done the first two preparatory stitches, then after that every time your darning needle points into the middle of the two needles you slip the stitch off the needle. Doesn't matter if it's purl or knit, if you look at a video while they do it, you'll see what I mean
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 7th Sep 17, 8:14 AM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 22,739 Thanks
    MMF007
    Blimey, I have a lie-in and you've gone all technical on me!
    I haven't a CLUE how to knit but you sound so competant.
    TBH it is one thing that I would not try, just never appealed (probably because I can't stand wool next to my skin. Yes, I realise you can knit with other yarns, but it makes me shudder).
    I greatly admire people who do knit, it's a real skill.

Our friends came to visit last evening, arriving early , luckily just as we were ready (makes a change!).
    We had a great time. They are such special people. The food went down well and my excuse of being holiday and therefore buying a readymade main meal worked a treat. Even I can rustle up a nice salad and baked spuds to a decent standard! The blueberry tart was lush and then a cheeseboard, served at room temperature, of course . Finished witb coffee and little Italian biscuits before they left.
    Washing up all done and put away

Need to decide what to do today. Rain is forecast and it is already clouding up.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • thriftmonster
    • By thriftmonster 7th Sep 17, 9:54 AM
    • 1,602 Posts
    • 7,321 Thanks
    thriftmonster
    thriftmonster I have a very tattered copy of The I Hate to Housekeep Book on my shelf. I can't part with it, especially as Peg Bracken has died. I used to have The I Hate to Cook Book as well, but I let that go as I never cooked anything from it. It was fun to read though .
    Originally posted by ivyleaf
    I have both of those and the etiquette book which is really good. I just got a copy of "I didn't come here to argue" second hand from Amazon - I'm trying to pace myself with the essays to make it last longer. The housekeeping book is great - I have made a few recipes from the cookbook but not many.
    I will not have my life narrowed down. I will not bow down to somebody else's whim or to somebody else's ignorance. - Bell Hooks

Others have seen what is and asked why. I have seen what could be and asked why not - Pablo Picasso
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 7th Sep 17, 9:41 PM
    • 3,119 Posts
    • 39,114 Thanks
    monnagran
    It feels more like November tonight. The wind is howling and although it wasn't raining when I last looked, I don't think it will be far away. I've retired to bed with a hottie and my book and feel very cosy.

Pickle called in after her 2nd day at school.

Me: What new thing did you do today?

Pickle: Today I took my PE bag to school.

Me: And what, pray, do you keep in your PE bag?

Pickle: (rolling her eyes and speaking slowly and distinctly as to an idiot child)

In my PE bag I keep P. E. T H I N G S.

I was chastened.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 7th Sep 17, 10:31 PM
    • 3,256 Posts
    • 51,871 Thanks
    silvasava
    Oh Monna - what's she going to be like after her first term!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 7th Sep 17, 10:36 PM
    • 4,845 Posts
    • 69,832 Thanks
    VJsmum
    It feels more like November tonight. The wind is howling and although it wasn't raining when I last looked, I don't think it will be far away. I've retired to bed with a hottie and my book and feel very cosy.

Pickle called in after her 2nd day at school.

Me: What new thing did you do today?

Pickle: Today I took my PE bag to school.

Me: And what, pray, do you keep in your PE bag?

Pickle: (rolling her eyes and speaking slowly and distinctly as to an idiot child)

In my PE bag I keep P. E. T H I N G S.

I was chastened.
    Originally posted by monnagran

When my goddaughter started school her mum would ask her what she had to dinner, a mumled "dunno" or "can't remember" would be followed by more questionning.

One day she just shouted "BOILED ELEPHANT"

Her mother never asked again...
    Last edited by VJsmum; 07-09-2017 at 10:42 PM.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 8th Sep 17, 7:46 AM
    • 2,614 Posts
    • 27,048 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Good morning.....it's raining again here and the cats seem to think it's my fault. They did ask to go out and one actually put her whole head through the open door before changing her mind. The other one took her sister's advice and just turned round. It's that time of year when they seem to have velcro paws - they want to stick to us all the time as it's too warm to put the heating on but too cold for their liking and humans are like heated cat cushions.

I did wonder how Pickle was getting on. My friend has a Pickle too but hers is a year older than Monna's. I remember when she was roughly six months old holding her and telling her mum "this one's going to be a b**ger!". I wasn't wrong. I met them in Asda the other week and Her Royal Pestilence was talking on her toy phone. She did have a bit of a chat with us in between calls but when her mum told her to say goodbye HRP said "Hush, can't you see I'm on the phone" and waved instead

Today I'm going fleece pyjama shopping for the house troll and to see if I can buy him a 7.5 tog duvet. His 4 tog will be too cold soon and the normal 13.5 tog is too warm and inflexible. If I get him a 7 he can use the 4 as a topper if it's really cold.

Take care all of you
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 8th Sep 17, 9:03 AM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 22,739 Thanks
    MMF007
    My niece, aged 6 and 1/2 was offered a chance to try different musical instruments at the start of her 2nd year at school. She chose the violin. One was duly hired and after 2 lessons she boldly announced as follows,
    'People say the violin is very difficult to play but it isn't, it's really easy'.
    Cue the screeching cat overture

Oh the optomism of youth.

Sunny here today so I shall make a picnic and we'll head for Kielder for a walk.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 8th Sep 17, 10:09 AM
    • 3,119 Posts
    • 39,114 Thanks
    monnagran
    Thank goodness Pickle hasn't gone down the musical instrument route yet. The nearest she has got to it is to blow down a recorder while trying to sing the tune at the same time.

I did read once that hell is a 7 year old playing three blind mice on the violin for all eternity.

Thankfully we have only had to endure Pickle's monastic displays. The first time I heard this I visualised a line of monks cartwheeling across the room.
    Sadly I was wrong, it was a 'gymnastic' display.
    This consists of Pickle crouching on the floor in various poses and occasionally lifting an arm or leg.
    Personally, I would prefer the monks.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 8th Sep 17, 12:01 PM
    • 14,098 Posts
    • 131,628 Thanks
    mardatha
    Our youngest GC is a girl supposedly called Emily but really called The Wee Termite. Envisage a house hit by a colony of termites after they've been for a visit ..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,070Posts Today

8,568Users online

Martin's Twitter