Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,313Posts
    • 30,463Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - £389.60
Page 234
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 8th Mar 18, 5:42 PM
    • 2,078 Posts
    • 27,261 Thanks
    It's polly that thinks this is the one. It's not exactly pretty it's been uglyfied. Rather like stone cladding on Coronation street. No the site wont let me make a word up. This is just been painted very bright RED.

How do I write in colours? I think if we get this house I shall buy it a plaque and call it the RED HOUSE.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 8th Mar 18, 5:58 PM
    • 2,012 Posts
    • 17,909 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    NM Not the same but The Red House was where William Morris and friends hung out for some time . Think of it as a good sign .
    Would you prefer painted brick or your current home ? Once you get a few flowery pots going you might at some point health and finances permitting be able to do some herb and salad pots maybe even tomatoes etc . I feel not pushing your affordability rent wise by choosing to view this house has to be better for your peace of mind .
    polly x
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 8th Mar 18, 6:54 PM
    • 11,459 Posts
    • 159,438 Thanks
    Can I suggest MOULIN ROUGE as an alternative, I know it's not a windmill but I know you've been round and round in a whirlwind finding it NM!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 8th Mar 18, 6:57 PM
    • 2,426 Posts
    • 36,424 Thanks
    Can I suggest MOULIN ROUGE as an alternative, I know it's not a windmill but I know you've been round and round in a whirlwind finding it NM!
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    Not flashing her knickers then

NMSeriously, I hope that you get this place, red walls and all, to have a peaceful night's sleep will be worth it x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

March GC £250.00/ .00
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 8th Mar 18, 7:03 PM
    • 5,248 Posts
    • 55,712 Thanks
    William Morris's Red House is only a few roads away from me! It's lovely.
    If we see a group of middle-aged, "middle-class-looking" women (it's usually women) standing looking a bit confused on the corner near the railway station I ask them if they're looking for the Red House, and they always are Luckily it's easy to direct people to from the station.

fuddle I've been worrying about you all day! Glad you're feeling a bit better.

burtha If you're reading along when you have time, please know we are all thinking of you xx
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 8th Mar 18, 7:36 PM
    • 2,012 Posts
    • 17,909 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Ivyleaf I wonder if you were living there went I went to see The Red House . It's over 20 years ago but we didn't need to ask a local the way . It is a very lovely arts and crafts house and you're fortunate to be so near .
    NM If you get this house and have a plaque call it home . You aren't responsible for any the look of the exterior so not your circus not your monkey . You will make a home inside as that's what matters with space for your belongings and washing drying in the fresh air on dry days . Some landlords after a certain length of tenancy will allow some paving to be removed to provide garden borders if you wish . You wont have the bin problems you do at present and will hopefully be able to sit in the sun and warm your joints on nice days .
    I would look at the pros and cons . You can't judge a book by it's cover . it seems to tick a number off boxes . Travel to work for your son , shops and bus services and somewhere to store the present bike and future motor bike plus room for an office that's a fair number of ticks .

Hester I feel so sad for your daughter . She's one of lifes grafters , fighting her mh issues and caring for her husband and children while working 3 jobs . As monna said you couldn't make these situations up when dealing with Gov departments . While so many could benefit from such a course your dd is too busy working and not needing to learn about seeking work as she's found it times 3.

A massive waste of money there while they pester her and someone else could use the support . Certainly if not already get advice from MIND along with Macmillan both are monnas quiet angels in real life . I never met any who were anything but kind , supportive and very knowledgable . I didn't mean Macmillan could help this situation but agreeing with previous posts about them .

polly x
    • tunathe cat
    • By tunathe cat 8th Mar 18, 8:52 PM
    • 345 Posts
    • 1,403 Thanks
    tunathe cat
    I have been trying to switch electricity suppliers all day. Mine runs out on 20th. They want £50 a month extra to stay with them but I have a feeling their computer refuses to let anyone leave.

I have found another suppler who want less than £50 a month in fact it is just over a tiny bit more than a third of the price I am paying.They have all gone up so this is a pleasant puzzle.

I had a look at my account for the last two years, It keep giving me a different type of meter to fill the numbers in 4, 5, or 6. It has never once
    given me the same twice in a row. When my older two were kids and I was trying to count stitches when knitting they would shout out random numbers all the time so I could not count. Well my record of my readings looks like that. No wonder they can't get it right.

I refuse to pay them £50 a month extra and then probably still have to have them again next year and so on until DS dies. They just will not sort anything out. I would like to be able to phone the ombudsman but I have to go through my present supplier. They will delay answering me for three or four months, then they will not have given an answer to the complaint so I will have to try again. I cannot even get their computer to allow me on the correct for for a formal complain. I have threatened them with the ombudsman 5 times in the last year. If I follow the correct procedure they wont so I still can't get to the ombudsman.

Has anyone got any ideas.

I am also trying to make a lasagna but it is going like plaiting fog. In my kitchen cooking is like trying to do one of those little puzzles you have to keep moving tiles but without the space to move them around. I always end up with my hands full and no where to cook. I told DS to expect dinner some time after my birthday 18/04/1018.
    Originally posted by nursemaggie
    NM hello please ask your Macmillan nurse to refer you to the utilities team - if you use N power for gas/electric they have a special tariff - (they work out a monthly plan mine is £50 month for Electric which i pay by dd any electricity used over this is written off - again for gas ) please feel free to pm me andrea x
    • gran3
    • By gran3 8th Mar 18, 8:55 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    Don't often post but always read. Really struggling today. DS2 is getting married later in the year. He and his partner both have DD's who will be bridesmaids. My problem is with his brothers wife, who for reasons I don't get, feels that her DD should also be a bridesmaid. My problems are, its none of her business, she hates my Ds2 and always has, she hardly knows the bride, and so on. I've already told her its down to the couple who they have and its no ones business but theirs. Which she didn't like.I'm sorry for my GD that she is in the middle of this when it should never have been an option unless she was asked. The other issue is that she has been telling anyone who will listen how hard done by her Dd is as she hasn't been asked to be BM. I'm so bloody cross with her and my DS for not nipping this in the bud. I don't want to fall out but feel she's crossed a line by taking it outside the family. What to do?
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 8th Mar 18, 9:19 PM
    • 2,426 Posts
    • 36,424 Thanks
    Gran Weddings bring the best and worst out in people, at the end of the day it's down to the bride and groom who they want at their special day, people will get over their perceived hard-done-by'ness - serves em right for making assumptions x

We married 4 years ago and intentionally chose a venue that sat only 20 - we also decided to invite mainly friends with very few family, as friends are who we spent most of our time with. It caused a few miffed faces, but we had an amazing day surrounded by people that genuinely wanted to celebrate our happiness, not just have a free feed and something to brag about
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

March GC £250.00/ .00
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 8th Mar 18, 10:01 PM
    • 2,725 Posts
    • 29,712 Thanks
    Granb, you're right. His brothers wife has no business for suggesting that and shame on her for dragging your DGD into it. I get really ticked off when, whether with a wedding or a funeral, far more people than those who actually should make the decisions feel the need to give their twopenneth. They should zip it and keep their noses out. Weddings are about the bride and groom, end of

There are a few things I feel strongly about
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 8th Mar 18, 10:51 PM
    • 3,525 Posts
    • 56,878 Thanks
    Yup - it's up to the bride and groom who they choose. It's their day.
    Didn't have that problem fortunately. Only 6 at our wedding and 2 of them were us!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 9th Mar 18, 12:42 AM
    • 2,078 Posts
    • 27,261 Thanks
    Sorry tunathe cat The last company I want to go to is Npower. I got rid of them about 3 years ago. They would not take my money and would not read my gas meter. then demanded £30,000, would not keep appointments to read my meter. I sent them a photo of my meter. I ended up calling them every day spending over an hour each time sorting it out only for the computer to send me an email and hour later calling me a liar and demanding £30,000 again.

I have already signed up with Ebico. They only want 36% of what I was paying iSupply. I do not need my Sarcoma nurse to refer me to Macmillan I am already in contact with them. I do not have a Macmillan nurse I have a rare sarcoma that Macmillan don't cover.

It was getting round an obstructive present supplier to get to the ombudsman I needed. I have not contacted them yet. I don't have gas, iSupply want £150 a month for mainly for economy 7.

I went to bed just after DS so I am awake now.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 9th Mar 18, 6:22 AM
    • 14,643 Posts
    • 138,961 Thanks
    I've found 2 big piders in the bath in 2 days. Does this mean it's Spring?
    ... it was a very short Spring for them
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 9th Mar 18, 8:30 AM
    • 9,038 Posts
    • 56,952 Thanks
    mardatha you horrible person! Those spiders could have been living in your bathroom for months, thinking that you were their housemate!
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 9th Mar 18, 8:51 AM
    • 3,505 Posts
    • 45,556 Thanks
    mar, you murderer. I can just see those 2 spiders struggling manfully, or spiderfully if we're being pedantic, up a dark wet drain and finally emerging breathless and exhausted into your bath. They stare about them in awe. Finally one whispers to the other, "It's very white isn't it? Do you think we are in heaven? Are we sitting on a cloud?" To which his friend (I'm guessing here. It could have been Mrs Spider) replies, " I dunno, it's a bit harder than I thou.........." ZAP!

gran, I think you have done all you can. I don't know if you have other grandchildren, but if you do you could point out that they are not being included in the bridal party either. All you can do now is to take a huge step backwards and distance yourself from the whole drama. In truth, it is nothing to do with you and you are well within your rights to let them know that. Forcibly, if necessary. I'm sure that the happy couple will have a wonderful day, with or without the spoiled brat sister-in-law.

I must get going soon. It's the day I collect my prescription from the chemist in the village. This involves a mile walk in both directions and rain is forecast. It's a beautiful walk along the coastal path, but not in the rain.

It's OK to be scared. Being scared means that you are about to do something really, really brave,
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 9th Mar 18, 9:17 AM
    • 5,248 Posts
    • 55,712 Thanks
    nursemaggie I think tuna just means that, as npower has such a tariff, so other suppliers might also have a similar one

gran3 Welcome to the thread. As others have said, weddings tend to bring out the best and worst in people! If I've understood correctly, it's your son's sister-in-law who's causing the problem? I agree, its no-one's business but the bride and groom's who they have at their wedding. I feel a bit sorry for her DD though; if she's the only other child in the family atm perhaps she was hoping she would be a bridesmaid too. One thing's for sure - if she wasn't feeling hard-done-by about it to begin with, I'm sure she will be now!

Must go to the library this morning to take my books back, otherwise i shall forget all about them and end up paying a fine. I can renew them online if necessary, but I've finished them now anyway

ETA monna, just seen your Thought For Today. I love it and shall tell it to my DGD, who is very clever but hates doing anything where she thinks people will "look at her", be that playing an instrument or being in the netball team!
    Last edited by ivyleaf; 09-03-2018 at 9:22 AM.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 9th Mar 18, 11:17 AM
    • 2,012 Posts
    • 17,909 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    I've found 2 big piders in the bath in 2 days. Does this mean it's Spring?
    ... it was a very short Spring for them
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Spider porridge topping ? It's a shame delicious edible wool doesn't exist . You could sit knitting your wildest dreams and eat them . Knitting a heffalump would keep ypu out of mischief for a very long time .

Hoping todays viewing goes well NM . Please let this be the one . You have so many things you're trying to sort at this time . I know from experience it's exhausting to have a mental list of many things to do and a great relief to tick them off one by one .

Welcome gran I agree the previous posters . Whatever the event there is always " One who makes waves "

Enjoy your walk monna . You were so quiet yesterday I feared Millie had you tied up in a cupboard . As you were headed for the shower I did wonder if she'd ever watched Psycho
    polly x
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 9th Mar 18, 11:50 AM
    • 2,078 Posts
    • 27,261 Thanks
    Ivyleaf your DGD would hate being a bridesmaid. That may be a consolation if one of the bridesmaids is the same.

I used to hate being looked at. It's probably as well I did not get to be a bridesmaid until I was about 15. By then I knew all eyes were on the Bride.

I am sorry tuna I did not mean to be offensive. I did sign up for a reduced tariff with Npower 4 years ago I never got it. My new one from Ebico will be less than £40 a month. I could have done with that since we moved to this flat.

I am sure you all know what I am going to say next. DS refuses to go house hunting.

I did think when we first started that I could look first and if they were suitable then DS could look but it's not easy to get to any of these places. That is why we have used taxis. We have done a couple of viewings on Sundays so that is worse. It is going to be the sort of journey DS has to work at least 2 hours each way. I am then not going to get back until after DS gets home from work so he will shout at me for not having dinner ready because he has to go to bed. I just can't win.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 9th Mar 18, 12:02 PM
    • 4,367 Posts
    • 38,281 Thanks
    NM I'm sorry, but DS needs to grow a pair and behave like an adult if he wishes to be treated like one.

Everyone who works in a physical job can have busy times and come home tired. He isn't the only one in Bolton!

If he wants a better home nearer to work, he has to make an effort to help find it. Has he offered to use a days holiday to go on viewings with you? Or asked his boss for a Saturday off to go then? If he won't then personally I would go without him and go for the house you feel best suits both, as much as is possible.

If he is still shouting at you after this weekend I would consider a quick flight to Malta...and IMHO I think you should look for a sheltered flat for yourself and let him sort himself out. At least then he won't be shouting at his elderly, sick mother
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 9th Mar 18, 12:03 PM
    • 2,012 Posts
    • 17,909 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Words almost fail me NM . He needs a sharp word today . If he keeps doing this nothing will ever change . Landlords and agencies talk to each other . Too many cancelled viewings begin to look like time wasting .
    I'm not meaning to upset you as you are doing your utmost to find a home . TBH I'd seriously consider the possibility of sheltered housing for yourself and leave him to it .

I'm about to go out so hope you can get him to go with you today and will catch up later .
    polly x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,566Posts Today

7,394Users online

Martin's Twitter