Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,284Posts
    • 30,145Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - £449.60
Page 194
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 7th Feb 18, 10:05 PM
    • 1,976 Posts
    • 25,604 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    karcher If you have anything for opening jars try them or another one is if you have one of those none slip mats for a tray that works too.

I have some circles of the same stuff for opening jars. I had to use mine to turn off the hot tap tonight it was stuck on for ages.

tomorrow morning we are going to see a bungalow. We uses to live in one very like it. They would have been identical when they were built in the 70s. Ours had been turned into a chalet bungalow. This one has had the bathroom moved and the kitchen extended. A rear extension built with an extra bedroom and a new bathroom. We saw it on the market last October, right move was not showing me bungalows and when I did a new search it came up. I called immediately but it had gone.

DS got sent it on his mobile phone two days ago from one of the other websites that have not sent me a thing since I registered in October. If the small bedroom is big enough this will be perfect for us. Nice quiet area but not too far from the shops Nice and near to work for DS.

The main thing is "No One" above us but birds, clouds and very high planes.

Polly we have not seen you for a few weeks are you OK.
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 7th Feb 18, 10:20 PM
    • 9,023 Posts
    • 56,590 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Fingers, toes and any other bits crossed for you, nursemaggie - it!!!8217;s about time you and your DS found a decent place to live. Imagine the housewarming party we!!!8217;ll have if you get it!
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 8th Feb 18, 8:29 AM
    • 3,432 Posts
    • 44,078 Thanks
    monnagran
    Morning al I imagine that karcher is still struggling to get the top off her hwb. I had to smike because I had an equally silly problem yesterday. I couldnt close my front door. It's one of those doubleglazed jobbies with a locking system that you need a key to open from the outside but inside you can open and close it normally, or that is the idea. Yesterday I opened the door to the postman and that was it. No way could I get the beast to close again. After about 20 minutes I gave in and googled the problem. Well, that was a waste of time. Endless instructions on how to OPEN the door once locked but none at all on how to close it again. Eventually I had to call in DS2 who had an equally long struggle with it. Eventually he managed to get it closed but agreed that it needed a doctor's appointment.
    As luck would have it he had a friend who was a locksmith, he'd get 'old Tone' to pop round and look at it.
    My DS2 has many friends, all of them have useful skills and can be called on to sort out problems. I swear that if I needed brain surgery Old Pete would be round to perform the operation on the kitchen table for the price of a mug of coffee and a slice of fruit cake.

Yesterday's ToDo list has been shifted to today. So I'll be spending the morning in the kitchen producing tangerine marmalade, lemon curd, batch of oat biscuits, loaf of bread and some cheese scones for the freezer. If there's time maybe some lentil and bacon soup.
    Me, the oven and Classic FM. Heaven.

Keep warm and well.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a long time making it.

ETA. nursemaggie, please let this be the house you've been waiting for, and if possible, please let it become yours.
    Last edited by monnagran; 08-02-2018 at 8:31 AM.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 8th Feb 18, 8:57 AM
    • 3,483 Posts
    • 55,650 Thanks
    silvasava
    Fingers, toes and eyes crossed for you Nurse Maggie X
    Karcher - maybe another hottie as a spare for Justin? To be without one is a dire emergency for me! DH bought me a rather expensive gel pack thingy that had a small metal disc in it that you cracked and it became magically hot - very impressive but not as good as my lovely hottie so now it languishes at the back of the medicine cupboard.
    Cold and frosty here - looks lovely from inside in the warm but I'll bite the bullet and walk up to the village in a wee while.
    Monna - your day sounds heavenly!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 8th Feb 18, 9:23 AM
    • 5,013 Posts
    • 73,748 Thanks
    VJsmum
    I want a day in the kitchen with classic FM ( <<sigh, I must be getting old as i am not hankering for a day in the bedroom with Leo Dicaprio >>)

Ahem!! Instead I have to go to Reading....
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 8th Feb 18, 9:25 AM
    • 5,159 Posts
    • 54,485 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Hope it goes ok nursemaggie. Prayers are with you. xx

I have a GP appointment this afternoon to discuss the results of the blood test I had in December. Sigh. All I have to do is remember to go!

((HUGS)) to everyone, and WELCOME to LilySue
    • Floss
    • By Floss 8th Feb 18, 10:29 AM
    • 4,302 Posts
    • 37,298 Thanks
    Floss
    NM hope it all goes well for the bunhalow xx
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 8th Feb 18, 10:57 AM
    • 1,891 Posts
    • 16,214 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    I am back nurse maggie . I am sending you both hopeful vibes and all good wishes that today goes well . Thank you for thinking of me . I have been on a mission . Gosh avoiding the dreaded Apostrophe is hard .

This is a quick post I will be back later .

Drumroll required at this point . After 20 long years fighting the wrong diagnosis dd and I sat with a consultant psychiatrist late yesterday afternoon who finally sorted the whole painful and damaging mess . He was holding a very long referral letter from our GP as he did it . I swear if I could clone our Dr he would be sent to all of you struggling to be heard by those who are either not listening or understanding .

Still trying to come back to earth . I had to check emails to family I sent last night when I woke this morning . I thought yesterday was a dream .

polly x
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 8th Feb 18, 11:14 AM
    • 6,147 Posts
    • 93,532 Thanks
    fuddle
    Polly without understanding I can see that something massive has happened and you're on cloud 9. How is DD about it all? Welcome back Polly. How are you? Have you recovered from the illness a wee while ago?

Well wishes from here NM. You've been on one long saga to try to find quiet contentment. Let's hope it is your turn and can we have well wishes for Lyn today too? She's off house hunting and although she never grumbles, Lyn is often traveling to look at houses that just haven't been suitable. Today she's doing the trip again to see a few more.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 8th Feb 18, 11:45 AM
    • 5,013 Posts
    • 73,748 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Good luck MrsLW and NM in the house hunting. Got everything crossed

SOunds like great news Polly.

I am still on a train to Reading....
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 8th Feb 18, 12:50 PM
    • 3,419 Posts
    • 41,715 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    It's cold here in Reading VJSMUM.
    I'm providing child care as dd2 has started training for her new job, I have two DGC's today and tomorrow. Next week is half term so l shall be looking after all four of them from 8 til 4 for five days!
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 8th Feb 18, 2:42 PM
    • 1,976 Posts
    • 25,604 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Well It was nearly perfect. Kitchen not a bad size, big living room, a shower room rather than bathroom the same as here, that suits us fine we never use a bath.

Bedrooms have modern fitted wardrobes not those things that go all round your bed so that only one size bed will fit in. DS gets two chests of draws too. No excuse to keep half his clothes on the floor and the other half on the bed. No big mirror doors so it wont multiply DS's mess.

Little bedroom could be a little bigger DS thinks he can just get his desk in. Tiny garden, DS looked at the lawn and remarked we don't need to buy a lawnmower with that. A decent sized garage so lots of thing we have in the way can go out there. We will put our own wardrobes out there for storage. Can't you tell we have already moved in.

Mr T is about 5 minutes walk and so is Lid!

DS has decided to buy a motor bike so the garage will be a good secure place to keep it.

I'm sat here with hot cross buns and a coffee and reading the application form.

So pleased for you both Polly.

Hester, Hope you don't have 4 to babysit on the boat, not much room and you would have at least two in the cut before they go home.

Going to Macmillan tomorrow to sort out benefits. Eating an Eaton Mess Cookie now, I had better shut my eyes when I get on the scales at the next appointment at the Christie.

I hope you don't have your eyes crossed silva if that cold wind comes back you will stick like that.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 8th Feb 18, 2:51 PM
    • 3,419 Posts
    • 41,715 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    No NM, I look after them at their house, much easier that way.

DD2 finished early so I've come home to do a boat clean, then I'm hoping to cut out a couple of cloth bags from an old pair of curtains.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 8th Feb 18, 3:01 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 7,847 Thanks
    nannywindow
    NM I hope that this is your property ! I have everything crossed for you.
    Haven't been posting as I have been struck down with the dreaded lurgy. My cough has broken this morning, so I hope I am on the mend, just a chesty cough and very little voice, to contend with now.
    I have tried to keep up with the thread but can't remember much, other than LilySue joining . I blame an overdose of cough medicine !
    Hester I'm wishing you good luck with the DGC for next week.
    Polly Can't give you a drum roll but will a clatter of spoons be ok ?
    Karcher have you managed to open the hwb yet ? I use the nutcrackers on a lot of small things that refuse to budge.
    Sending healing vibes to all the poorly people and hugs to anyone in need.
    nan
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • wondercollie
    • By wondercollie 8th Feb 18, 3:28 PM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 8,593 Thanks
    wondercollie
    Minus 31 ° centigrade?? Wow. Coldest I've ever been out in was minus 18 C in Canada, when we were delayed on a flight and they decanted us to a hotel. Unfortunately, I stood in a summer skirt and sandals reading the frostbite warnings at the airport because we were in transit from Hawaii

Karcher, hope,you are warm now!!
    Originally posted by MMF007
    Yup -31C and that!!!8217;s before the wind chill is factored in.

One year, we left home at -32 to go to Mexico. It was +32C when the plane landed. As soon as I got off of it, my hair fluffed up from the humidity.

And I didn!!!8217;t use any bad words in my original post so I have no ide why my post was full of exclamation marks!

Ou airport had a coat check service, so you don!!!8217;t land in warm climates wearing a duvet and felt lined boots
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 8th Feb 18, 3:31 PM
    • 3,432 Posts
    • 44,078 Thanks
    monnagran
    Polly, it is so beautiful to hear you so excited and positive. You must be walking on air. Not before time, you and your DD have been suffering and fighting for so long that you are well overdue some good news.

As are you nursemaggie. The bungalow sounds just perfect for you. The garden might be small but I bet it's big enough for a clothes line - just think of the joy of hanging out your washing when you want to! You've no. idea how hard I am praying that it will be yours.

I do hope that Mrs LW has some success in her search. She wants to live nearer her DDs and her adored grandsons so much. It's difficult looking in an area that is new to you and a distance away.

Ivyleaf. I hope the blood test results are what you want to hear.

HH. It never stops does it. I bet that by the time the last grandchild doesn't need your babysitting services, you will be in line to take on your greatgrandchildren.

Well I've made bread, biscuits and cheese scones but chickened out on the tangerine marmalade, just didn't feel like it, and discovered that I didn't have any unsalted butter for the lemon curd . Those will have to wait till the mood strikes again.

It's cold here today. Millie and I are holed up in my room with the oil filled radiator on and its still only 15°. I put an old duvet on my bed for Millie but she has climbed underneath it and is sleeping peacefully. I'm wrapped up in a blanket in my chair but my fingers are still cold, so I've given up the idea of knitting.
    The heating has just kicked in so things should start warming up soon.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 8th Feb 18, 3:33 PM
    • 1,976 Posts
    • 25,604 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    LilySue sorry I keep forgetting to say welcome.

Oh that Eaton mess cookie was lush, I would love another one but I am too full.

I can't be bothered to move but I'm cold DS left the door open. He keeps doing it, he is on holiday until next Tuesday.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 8th Feb 18, 3:43 PM
    • 1,976 Posts
    • 25,604 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Oh Yes monna there is a washing line but even better 3 recycle bins and my own bin no one else will use. Recycle bins are all full here and will not be emptied until a week next Tuesday. Someone with 5 kits can't put all their rubbish in a pencil case.

I'll have to move if I don't want to be sitting in a puddle.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 8th Feb 18, 3:48 PM
    • 5,013 Posts
    • 73,748 Thanks
    VJsmum
    It's cold here in Reading VJSMUM.
    I'm providing child care as dd2 has started training for her new job, I have two DGC's today and tomorrow. Next week is half term so l shall be looking after all four of them from 8 til 4 for five days!
    Originally posted by Hard Up Hester
    Ooh I didn't notice you were in Reading - it was flipping parky...
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Charis
    • By Charis 8th Feb 18, 3:50 PM
    • 1,274 Posts
    • 13,370 Thanks
    Charis

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a long time making it.
    Originally posted by monnagran
    Thank you for this, Monna. It is very timely. I have lived here for over fifteen years and tried so hard to like it. Lovely home, but I have known for almost all that time that I am in the wrong town. I am definitely clinging to a mistake I have spent a long time making. I'd already rung the estate agent today to do a valuation on the property, so your Thought for the Day felt like confirmation it is the time to go.

I also liked your earlier Robert Frost comment 'Life goes on'. Frost lived near here for a short time but left and returned to the US to live out the rest of his life. He must also have felt that he was in the wrong town .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,502Posts Today

8,273Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thanks for all the tweets this week. I'm about to sign off for the weekend. See you next week. Have a good one. Martin

• RT @TimesMoney: Is this how you feel about your student loan? @MartinSLewis has some advice for you. Read our exclusive interview in @Times?

• RT @brokenbottleboy: @MartinSLewis I look better now than I did when I was in my twenties. Grey hair has been a good thing!

• Follow Martin