Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,284Posts
    • 30,141Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - £449.60
Page 192
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 6th Feb 18, 10:11 AM
    • 3,421 Posts
    • 43,763 Thanks
    monnagran
    I don't know Mar, that reading looks fairly OK to me, and I'm on medication.

Pretty chilly here too. I put out some raw pastry dough for the birds this morning. The birds annoyed it, (!!tablet. ENJOYED). I enjoyed watching Millie at the patio doors screaming her head off and dancing a fandango with rage.

I intend to spend today going for a brisk walk along the beach, can't waste the sunshine and blue sky, but I'll be muffled up to the eyebrows because the cold is really something else.
    Then I will potter round the house doing a bit of clearing up and sorting out.

Nothing much else to say, so on to

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

it had long since come to my attention that people of accomplishment rarely sat back and let things happen to them.
    They went out and happened to things. (Leonardo da Vinci) (allegedly)
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 6th Feb 18, 10:26 AM
    • 11,307 Posts
    • 157,432 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Oh MAR you shouldn't have 'et the hefferlump then you could have just gone maurauding until they listened!!! do you want the other one to get peoples attention with? I'm sure pressure could be applied to a hefferlump rump to make him head your way, just offering like???

Seriously though my GP told me that 140/90 is the acceptable top limit for 'normal' blood pressure for ladies (I use the term very loosely) of our age group, even those on medication. If it goes consistently above that reading then she recommends adding in further meds to control it. Not giving medical advice here though, just passing on what I was told. Get them to listen sweetie, it's too important not to and you need the peace of mind factor with all else that is clouding your life just now! Don't make us apply NURSIE!!!!!
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 06-02-2018 at 10:29 AM.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 6th Feb 18, 10:33 AM
    • 14,463 Posts
    • 136,127 Thanks
    mardatha
    Awh ty fuds, I'll take the sweeties !! I just phoned both my endo consultant and the locum. The endo was the one who raised the BP and mentioned it to the doc so she might be more help. The damn locum was as expected a waste of time - said he has the tape printout and my BP drops overnight very low so averages out as fine. I said well that's not goin to be a lot of use to me if I drop dead from a heart attack or stroke in the middle of the day is it?! He kept saying maybe my home BP machine was wrong, I said well it might be wrong but it's still steadily climbing! And he doesn't know anything about hydrocortisone, so that's when I phoned the endo. She probly won't bother to call back for days though.
    Gawd the docs are putting my BP up if nothing else is
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 6th Feb 18, 10:51 AM
    • 6,133 Posts
    • 93,285 Thanks
    fuddle
    I sense your frustration. In fact I think you're speeding my stats up too! At least she's onto it mar.

Can I tell an auld granny worldly wise lady how to suck eggs? If you get that shoulder pain and/or breathlessness again please don't hesitate to call 111. Am I right that NHS 24 is 111 just like NHS England? Anyhoo. Thinking of you. You'll be reet.

I have received my cardiologist referral for next Tuesday so hopefully I'll not have to wonder and worry for too much longer either. It doesn't 'alf take it out of you. Cuppa tea time.
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 6th Feb 18, 11:37 AM
    • 466 Posts
    • 6,960 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    The big swings in the blood pressure readings are what the 24 hour monitor is there to detect.....so hopefully someone
    will pick up on that soon......
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 6th Feb 18, 12:31 PM
    • 14,463 Posts
    • 136,127 Thanks
    mardatha
    Will do Fudds
    Endo called back - faintfaint. Said might be the steroids so to reduce the dose by half instantly Unheard of - and the AI forum all yelling NO DONT DO IT But I'll try and see what happens.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 6th Feb 18, 3:19 PM
    • 3,411 Posts
    • 41,503 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Ye God's Mar what a palaver you are being put through, I hope it is resolved soon.

Fuds, better a dinner of herbs, get me quoting the bible!

Morning panic as DD had an interview brought forward and needed childcare, she got the job, yay! And I collected my clean dry towels from her.

I've done the weekly food shop for £8ish, but had to buy a new doormat so it's evened out really.

I have a pan of broccoli and cheese soup bubbling away, I also have a batch of piri piri chicken made for CHS's lunches.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 6th Feb 18, 3:48 PM
    • 1,965 Posts
    • 25,398 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Don't know what to say mar, I thought you had to bring steroids down gradually.

It's not as bad as you think they do not panic like on the hospital programs.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 6th Feb 18, 4:05 PM
    • 2,728 Posts
    • 29,164 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    It probably is the steroids but.....I had a problem pregnancy. I was very, very allergic to the baby. I had a rash from neck to toes that didn't stop itching and was even worse at night. The late MrC had to sleep elsewhere for the duration. It started at about 13 weeks and at 20 weeks I was begging for help so they put me on steroids. The steroids helped the itching but steroids push up blood sugars so I ended up in the diabetic clinic and had to finger p r i c k test my sugar levels and I also ended up on blood pressure tablets. Once I'd had the HT the visits to the diabetes clinic and the blood pressure pills both stopped.

As a short term solution given that the locum can't/won't help it may be OK but if you go back to feeling like a sloth then it's not really helping. The obvious solution (although it means more drugs) is that the symptoms caused by the medication for your main ailment should also be treated as mine were. This is not medical advice, merely a musing based on bitter experience. People who say to me "Have you just got the one?" have no idea what I went through to get him.

Incidentally, the only time that the late MrC and i discussed funerals he said he'd like a Viking funeral, full pyre, the works...on the River Mersey. I pointed out that the Mersey was a busy shipping channel and we'd never get permission. With that in mind I felt justified in providing (with the help of the Ministry of Defence) a normal but very well attended service. He now resides next to the Mersey in one of those places where you rent a tree to put the ashes by. That'll have to do
    • karcher
    • By karcher 6th Feb 18, 4:33 PM
    • 1,816 Posts
    • 16,487 Thanks
    karcher
    My apologies Fuddle.

You are right I don't know the back story so shouldn't have commented

Sorry for any upset or offence I caused you.
    Last edited by karcher; 06-02-2018 at 7:44 PM.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 6th Feb 18, 4:52 PM
    • 1,965 Posts
    • 25,398 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Wow CRANKY that sounds horrendous. The House Troll must be very precious. Do you complain about what he put you through to have him when he is being obnoxious.

I hope in a few years you will think he is the best friend you have ever had. Mine called me his best friend a couple of weeks ago! I think he is mine. He's a great blessing in my old age.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 6th Feb 18, 4:54 PM
    • 5,154 Posts
    • 54,357 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Re feeding the birds....we bought bird seed mix and meal worms for "our" robins" and they have been so happy, but the ruddy wood pigeons are trying to get in on the act, and are somehow managing to balance on the very narrow kitchen window ledge for just long enough to grab a mouthful of seeds. Grrr.

fuds How lovely that your FIL wanted to stay at yours Good luck.

CRANKY you poor thing! My DD had terrible problems with itching on the palms of her hands when pregnant, but that was the only area that itched. Bizarre.

monnagran I hope you stayed warm on your walk! I'm currently wearing a cashmere jumper with a thermal vest under it and a cable-knit hoodie made of Jacob sheep's wool on top! We have the heating off in the afternoon but it's back on now, but needs a bit longer for the house (and me) to properly warm back up again.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 6th Feb 18, 5:18 PM
    • 2,728 Posts
    • 29,164 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    My DD had terrible problems with itching on the palms of her hands when pregnant, but that was the only area that itched. Bizarre.
    Originally posted by ivyleaf
    I think that relates to liver function - my sister had something similar. I was allergic from when the placenta took over and things from his bloodstream started mixing with mine. The consultant who was about to retire said he'd only seen it twice before in his entire career.

Nursemaggie, he does know the story, but he's not a bad lad really. We get along well and laugh a lot together. He's way nicer now than he was when he was small. We call ourselves a team
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 6th Feb 18, 5:20 PM
    • 1,102 Posts
    • 25,380 Thanks
    MMF007
    We are going to light the woodburner shortly. Heating is on low atm, it's been snowing gently since 11am. Snow was not sticking on the roads but garden, fields and shrubs all white over.
    Not looking forward to scraping the car windows tomorrow for work, forecast -5°C !
    Good news, my landline is finally working again. The telecomms engineer had to climb the pole to fix the fault. I rang mum to see how she is and she'd been to an afternoon meeting with her friend and there was a whisky tasting. Mum was driving so she missed out! She did say that the whisky rep advised her that a bottle mum was given a couple of years ago is now worth good money - they were talking several hundred pounds!!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 6th Feb 18, 5:45 PM
    • 1,965 Posts
    • 25,398 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Ch ranky he sounds just like mine. My DS will be 24 in a couple of weeks. Now he is working I miss him when he is at work. I can honestly say we can discuss anything and often much more deeply than I would with anyone else.

We have always been able to have a good laugh together.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 6th Feb 18, 8:07 PM
    • 3,684 Posts
    • 43,398 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Oh mar, I do hope you get things sorted out, what a worry for you.
    Gosh Cranky, bet you were glad to finally meet the HT!
    How lovely that your FIL wants to stay with you fuddle, he must feel comfortable with you and your family.

It has felt really cold here, the wind would cut you in two. The wood burner is on and I am warm and cosy. Hope you are too.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 6th Feb 18, 8:26 PM
    • 3,475 Posts
    • 55,478 Thanks
    silvasava
    Evening all - no snow here but bitter cold North East wind that seems to penetrate everywhere!. Forecast to be even colder tomorrow DH is going to out for a run on the trike with his friend. Shame I've got a dental appointment otherwise I would have loved to go with him - not!
    Lovely to read how any of you have good relationships with DS's. My eldest is single (still looking though!) and he often invites me out with him and his friends - we have a very similar sense of humour and have always got on well.
    Karcher - hope you are keeping warm and still getting plenty of rest. I feel for you as you don't need a horrid work situation when you are struggling to get rid of a nasty virus.
    Mar - I was given a high dosage of steroid treatment for 7 days at Christmas - I thought it had to be gradually lessened but maybe the criteria has changed. Do hope you get something sorted very soon
    MMF - we've been lighting our woodburner at about 2.30 for the last week. DH shuts it right down when it's burning well, warms most of the house!
    Stay warm all x
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 6th Feb 18, 8:39 PM
    • 14,463 Posts
    • 136,127 Thanks
    mardatha
    This is different steroids to the usual stuff given for chest complaints, it's Hydrocortisone. I'm going to try it and see how it goes. Sorry for moaning at you all xxx
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 6th Feb 18, 9:26 PM
    • 1,102 Posts
    • 25,380 Thanks
    MMF007
    Er, we are too hot! Woodburner is fairly new model and is very efficient!
    Have been surfing too long this evening so I shall log off and write a 'to do' list with short term, medium and long term things
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 7th Feb 18, 7:14 AM
    • 6,133 Posts
    • 93,285 Thanks
    fuddle
    Is hydrocortisone replacing what your body doesn't produce with the Addison's mar? On the wards in hospital there is a notice saying that there are 5 illnesses that if you have it, patients must speak to staff due to meds and Addison's is one of them. You're battling with summat more than feeling tired mar. If anyone knows about it and about hydrocortisone it is the Addison's consultant. We have to trust them don't we. I'm so pleased she has been relatively easy to get to talk to. In terms of the internet, well it's full of people talking about their personal experiences and they are probably right when they scream don't do it and under different circumstances your consultant may well say the same but it's your blood pressure and sometimes, I guess, we have to weigh up the pros and cons with the risks and priorities. I hope you're doing ok today.

Karcher, no worries ok. It was just the straw that broke the camel's back. I'm not mean spirited and just wouldn't revel like that. It was only ever about feeling accepted and feeling so happy that for ruddy once we were chosen do to nothing other than our personalities and ability to make them feel welcome. That just doesn't happen these days.i was happy because it made me feel warm and wanted for me, not because SIL had missed out. But it's all ok. Like Floss said, you weren't to know.

Grammar is poor this morning. so sorry.
    Last edited by fuddle; 07-02-2018 at 8:32 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,856Posts Today

9,157Users online

Martin's Twitter