Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,265Posts
    • 29,985Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - £479.60
Page 160
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 9th Jan 18, 8:38 AM
    • 2,220 Posts
    • 22,955 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Monna,

You could always try my tactic and work from bed. I suspect the sort of work you have in mind won't allow that, but there is always the list-making part which can satisfactorily be dragged into the stage of indexing the list of getting out of bed is proving too difficult.

Of course in spite of my efforts the lurgy has taken a turn for the worse. Everything has moved northwards and my sinuses are now suffering so I'm tucked up again with laptop, clipboard and piles of work with a hot water bottle at my feet. I've also put Radio 3 on for a bit of cheer. I've already managed an hour of work.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 9th Jan 18, 9:09 AM
    • 3,310 Posts
    • 42,059 Thanks
    monnagran
    FairyP, you are dangerous to know. I have long held the dream of conducting my whole life from my bed.
    I believe that Winston Churchill almost perfected the art. What's good enough for Winnie...............

Commiserations on the lurgy. Stay in bed and keep warm.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • spirit
    • By spirit 9th Jan 18, 9:20 AM
    • 2,669 Posts
    • 6,010 Thanks
    spirit
    Morning all.

I was woken by the sound of the digger going next door. They are widening their drive to take in half the front garden and the workmen start at some unearthly hour.

I am determined to get more done today, no more nodding off after lunch. Soooo. .....it will be shower and get stuck into the to-do list.
    However, I have no illusions, my intentions may be good, but the practice often falls woefully short.
    Of course, the first hurdle is getting out of bed. It is warm and comfortable and I have a good book on the go.

With my shortcomings in mind

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Judge me when you are perfect.
    Originally posted by monnagran

Love your thought for today Monna, I shall use that a lot
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 9th Jan 18, 10:49 AM
    • 3,369 Posts
    • 53,843 Thanks
    silvasava
    Mardatha - Concorde used to fly over us - you could always tell the engine sound. I do miss her, such a beautiful aircraft. Many years ago I worked in the aerospace industry - fab time.
    FairyP - commiserations - DS2 is just getting over the lurgy and he always suffers with his sinus too - nasty and painful, hope yours eases soon.
    Must move my Arris and tackle at least some of the list - spose I'd better get out of bed then
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 9th Jan 18, 11:38 AM
    • 14,323 Posts
    • 134,366 Thanks
    mardatha
    I always loved Concorde, never saw one live though. I do like plane watching, and ships even more. Feels funny to think of the amount of activity and movement going on in the world while I sit up here in my livingroom on my back end
    Hamsters have perfected the ideal life. Sit in bed and stretch oot a wee paw everytime you want a biscuit, then when you have energy run it off for ten mins on a wheel then fall back into bed again
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 9th Jan 18, 12:19 PM
    • 1,054 Posts
    • 24,557 Thanks
    MMF007
    Monna, the TFTD is so succinct, I love it.

Concorde!
    For our 10th wedding anniversary I took DH on Concorde
    . It cost about £9.
    We went on the one at the museum of flight, outside Edinburgh, parked up as an exhibit *

It was interesting to see how cramped it was onboard and the cockpit was really claustrophobic.

There were some brilliant tales about its flying days, recorded by one or two of her pilots. I must try and find copies. They were a mixture of amazing facts and amusing incidents. I get the physics of flying but it is still amazing!

Yesterday evening's fun resulted from a 7 hour power cut. A group of us rallied round with torches, a large outdoor table, a selection of cold nibbles and SOME RUM and we chatted away for ages. We enjoyed the starry night (no lights at all across much of the island!), and watched fireflies strutting their stuff. It was lovely. It was also cooler outside than in cos the houses hold the heat and the aircon, of course, was off

*ETA - oh, I shall have to start a convo with my snobby neighbour that begins, "Well, there was this one time when we onboard Concorde....." !
    Last edited by MMF007; 09-01-2018 at 12:22 PM.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 9th Jan 18, 12:55 PM
    • 3,369 Posts
    • 53,843 Thanks
    silvasava
    MMF - I went on her at Heathrow - but she was parked in the hangar - they had to cut out part of the wall to accomodate the nose cone! Yes - very tiny inside but luxurious! My DS1 has always been an aeroplane fanatic (civil not military) when he was about 13 he had a large poster of Concorde's cockpit. Coincidentally DH was doing some work for a pilot who turned out to be a Concorde pilot & he invited DS1 over & gave him some memorabilia and signed his poster as it was his Concorde - cue one VERY happy bunny who's never forgotten it. DS1 also wrote to Freddy Laker and had a lovely reply from him - one of his much treasured possesions - happy days!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 9th Jan 18, 1:33 PM
    • 14,323 Posts
    • 134,366 Thanks
    mardatha
    Does anybody in here buy TV&Satellite Week magazine? It's the RV's bible for his telly and he just noticed today it has gone up from £1.90 to £2.25 in one jump
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 9th Jan 18, 2:09 PM
    • 5,071 Posts
    • 53,343 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Does anybody in here buy TV&Satellite Week magazine? It's the RV's bible for his telly and he just noticed today it has gone up from £1.90 to £2.25 in one jump
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Oh my goodness! I get Total TV Guide, and I notice that has crept up from £1.10 (I can't remember how long it was that price though) to £1.45. I think it was £1.15 for a while in between.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 9th Jan 18, 2:15 PM
    • 1,726 Posts
    • 15,179 Thanks
    karcher
    Free TV guides available on the tinterweb
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 9th Jan 18, 5:46 PM
    • 3,637 Posts
    • 42,604 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Ah Concord, when I was young we lived on the flight path to Heathrow with planes flying over every minute or so, nobody took any notice unless Concord went over, such a magnificent machine.

I've been overseas for a couple of weeks and did some long haul flights, I just loved the Airbus 380, so much more room to move about. I live in hope of being upgraded but so far no luck!

Have you heard any more from your viewers monna?
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 9th Jan 18, 5:49 PM
    • 14,323 Posts
    • 134,366 Thanks
    mardatha
    karcher it's for the husband and he doesn't do internet. Just soaps and cowboy fillums
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 9th Jan 18, 6:00 PM
    • 3,335 Posts
    • 40,261 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    I lived in near Filton in Bristol when Concorde was being tested, the traffic used to stop so we could all look.
    A very hectic day today, went to DD2's to look after her 3yo and DD1's 3yo twins whilst they went to collect DD1' new dog, DD1 wasn't confident she could find the place on her own.
    So I had the children from 9am until 12, DD1 then came over to the boat with twins and dog Ella, Ella loves me because I gave her some ham.
    I made lunch for us all, the joiner arrived to give me a quote for replacement backboards as ours are rotting Ella was as pleased to see him as she was to meet everyone else, there I a pic of her on my blog.
    I don't watch much TV but sometimes the hours of silence get to me and I would like to watch something, not soaps, greed shows or reality progs though.
    I like Father Brown, Vera etc, but tv reception is very poor here. I'll be ok for a few days now having spent time with my DD's and their children.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 9th Jan 18, 6:06 PM
    • 3,310 Posts
    • 42,059 Thanks
    monnagran
    Hi camelot, thanks for asking. Yes, they gave a feed-back saying that they were quite interested but had a little bit of work to do on their own house before putting it on the market. They said that I was on the list. It wasn't the unqualified enthusiasm that they showed when they were here, but that is often the case. It's those who go around not giving anything away who usually end up buying a house.

I also remember Concorde with affection. It was the most beautiful sight when in the air. I never understood why it was withdrawn from service.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 9th Jan 18, 6:36 PM
    • 6,040 Posts
    • 91,691 Thanks
    fuddle
    I have about 5 days to catch up on this evening but I'm hoping to tap into your wisdom.

I've had sinus problems - head cold, sneezing, mucous that turned into sinusitis and from the weekend gave me a lot of facial and tooth pain. That has subsided now but I have head and ear ache... and if I say the words thick and green I think you'll know what I'm getting at.

All the way through my heart rate and blood pressure have been OK. I say OK as heart rate kicks around 90 which is higher than normal but not high in terms of what I'm used to when bacteria sets in. My temperature has always been normal. So although demented, I'm just trying to see this out.

However, seeing the green I panicked somewhat and sought advice from a pharmacist. I didn't know that green 'you know what' doesn't mean bacterial infection! Growing up, green meant antibiotics! She told me that green is good because it's a sign that my white blood cells are attacking the infection and I'm getting better. Now this is great news. But I'm dubious. Has anyone heard this?

Here's to sitting it out for a bit longer then. I'm on my second bottle of eucalyptus oil.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 9th Jan 18, 6:42 PM
    • 12,340 Posts
    • 217,092 Thanks
    greenbee
    The pharmacist is qualified, and as long as you have given her your background (history of respiratory issues) she will be able to advise appropriately. If she had been concerned she'd have told you to see the GP.

The current bug is a nasty one - vicious to start with and lingering afterwards. I've been coughing up green stuff too, but it seems to be reducing.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 9th Jan 18, 6:51 PM
    • 4,919 Posts
    • 72,182 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Fuddle - yes, I've heard this after thinking the same as you. But, yes, your pharmacist should know for sure...

SHOWING OFF ALERT

When I travelled for work, three years or so ago, I travelled business class on the A380. Emirates - so the one with the bar.. Now, I am not a good flyer but standing in a bar with three drinks on the go, loudly proclaiming that "I WANT ONE OF THOSE" (an espresso martini) and one just arriving, that I can do Best party ever...

We have had a fab day. Walked in a volcanic cauldron this morning. A trip to the seaside around lunchtime and another walk after lunch, very high up (though we drove most of the way )

We are now sat on the patio having beer and nuts, listening to the frogs, birds and crickets..

This last walk was Above the clouds so I should like to add a thought for the day to Monna's

THERE IS ALWAYS SUNSHINE BEHIND THE CLOUDS..
    Last edited by VJsmum; 09-01-2018 at 6:54 PM.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 9th Jan 18, 6:55 PM
    • 6,040 Posts
    • 91,691 Thanks
    fuddle
    karcher it's for the husband and he doesn't do internet. Just soaps and cowboy fillums
    Oh my Mar. I thought only in certain parts of County Durham, people, myself included, say fillum. you've made my night.

Greenbee I did. I'm dubious of GPs and Consultants now so question everything... even if it's just OSers. I thank you for your green solidarity
    Last edited by fuddle; 09-01-2018 at 7:03 PM.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 9th Jan 18, 7:17 PM
    • 3,369 Posts
    • 53,843 Thanks
    silvasava
    Fuddle - my DS1 holds a fillum night once a month for all his pals - it has to be something that they can sing along to! So far we've had My Fair Lady, Singing in the Rain, Oliver - his next one is going to be Calamity Jane! He does some food and we all have a good sing along - quite mad but really enjoyable.
    I feel for you over the sinus pain - only ever had it once - thought someone had left an axe in my head.
    VJsmum - an espresso martini is my signature cocktail after doing a course on holiday - lovely and lethal! The best way to fly darling
    • Floss
    • By Floss 9th Jan 18, 7:24 PM
    • 4,183 Posts
    • 35,697 Thanks
    Floss
    Hester can you download a couple of things to your ipad when at DD's, to watch onboard when CHS is on land?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

135Posts Today

1,841Users online

Martin's Twitter