Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,265Posts
    • 29,989Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - £479.60
Page 159
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 8th Jan 18, 12:05 PM
    • 3,335 Posts
    • 40,262 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Another one here thinking about burtha.
    I was tempted to scurry along the jetty in my dressing gown to get some coal in but decide to wait until I was dressed when i saw my neighbour getting off his boat with his dog.
    Karcher I wish you had someone to spoil you too, best I can offer is virtual hugs and a crochet blanket.
    CHS didn't get the painting done yesterday as he was feeling fragile, but he has done it this morning.
    I got very excited yesterday (no tittering in the back row) a new series of Vera started, unfortunately the tv signal was dire and the 2nd half was unwatchable.
    I do find the winter evenings long and boring, CHS tends to come in from work, eat his meal, strip to his boxers, adjust his package a few times and then go to bed by 8pm. Hey ho worse thing happen at sea.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 8th Jan 18, 1:12 PM
    • 1,054 Posts
    • 24,567 Thanks
    MMF007
    FPK, the Big Event is Weds evening, so watch this space.
    It is not something we would have volunteered for, it's soooo not our thing, but our lovely friends are so excited about it. It was revealed last night that Mr Host's 25 y.o son will be presented with a bravery award at the 'do'. Which explains why they were buzzing when they invited us. He is such a proud parent, I gave him a massive hug!

HUH, I am trying to remove that image from my mind, thanks. When my dad was given 24 hours to live we were kind of waiting for his last words and he was rummaging in the bedsheets. My brother asked him if he was uncomfy (thinking catheter). Dad said, 'I am just rearranging my n*ts'.
    I am so glad they were not his final words!

Right, sunshine calls. Have applied anti mossie lotion and suncream so I should be safe to go out.
    Laters!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 8th Jan 18, 1:19 PM
    • 14,327 Posts
    • 134,403 Thanks
    mardatha
    Hester, can you knit or sew ot anything like that? Being retired is a great time for starting to run a wee hobby business, selling on etsy or ebay etc. You could do that at night in the winter.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 8th Jan 18, 2:16 PM
    • 3,335 Posts
    • 40,262 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    I do crochet Mar but I still get bored.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • spirit
    • By spirit 8th Jan 18, 2:44 PM
    • 2,669 Posts
    • 6,010 Thanks
    spirit
    That's the kind of morning you hear the door snick gently behind you and realise you're locked out...
    Beautiful morning up here, heavy white frost on everything, snow frozen to concrete, brilliant blue sky and dead calm, Edinburgh airport reporting minus 9 earlier. I'm watching all the vapour trails in the clear sky and comparing them with FlightTracker lol that's how bored I am. It's the closest I'll ever get to a holiday
    Originally posted by mardatha

watching flightracker is great fun. I'm not far from Manchester airport and watch the flights coming in. I say coming in, but sometimes they take off/land the other direction. Last night I heard a hellava racket, and it was 'big plane' - the Emirates one that goes to Dubai, having just taken off, going over my house.
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 8th Jan 18, 4:14 PM
    • 14,327 Posts
    • 134,403 Thanks
    mardatha
    There's one of them every day from Edinburgh too spirit -the Dreamliner (?) Goes to Qatar. I know the noise when it's incoming as comes over this village but still pretty high. Different tone of engine altogether isn't it
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 8th Jan 18, 4:35 PM
    • 2,220 Posts
    • 22,955 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Afternoon all,

After an early start this morning I've decided I'm entitled to pack it in now. Feeling a bit feverish so planning to curl up with a book and a hot water bottle while OH sorts tea.

Monna--I can't do aspirin but a good friend put me onto the secret of Tunes throat sweets years ago. I keep a box in my desk. A constantly supply the hour before lecturing sorts most stuff out. Fortunately discipline isn't supposed to be within my remit at this age. I can do a lot with 'the face' but can't quite manage 'the voice' at the moment. I don't know how teachers manage it. OH just seems to soldier on.

MMF--I will indeed. There is something adorable about proud parents, isn't there?

HUH, I know what you mean about the evenings, but I go to bed at 9 which helps. I must confess I was quite excited by the return of Father Brown. Altogether more sedate (or in my OH's terms 'downright boring with terrible acting') but I enjoy it.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 8th Jan 18, 5:01 PM
    • 3,503 Posts
    • 42,247 Thanks
    maryb
    New Father Brown AND new Death in Paradise. What more could you ask for when you just want to veg?
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 8th Jan 18, 6:56 PM
    • 1,910 Posts
    • 24,548 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    I'm glad someone else likes Father Brown, I agree It's terrible acting.

I don't like the long evenings on my own as DS has had his lunch up to 7 hours before he gets home he wants his tea immediately. We are often finished tea by 5 pm. I tend to watch catch up TV after DS has gone to bed and I sit knitting.
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 8th Jan 18, 7:20 PM
    • 2,220 Posts
    • 22,955 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    I read one of the GK Chesterton books about Father Brown's exploits over Christmas. One of the stories was quite good, but otherwise I think it was improved upon by the screen writers.

I tend to watch them on catch up during my lunch breaks on days I work from home. I'll do the first bit while I eat and then do a second 'installment' for an afternoon tea break. I think there are two types working from home, those who can't work for all the distractions and those who can't stop and I tend to be a 'can't stop' so I try to plan out breaks for myself. I was doing walks instead earlier this term, but the weather and this cold don't make that attractive at the moment.

I haven't watched Death in Paradise, may add that to the list. I've now made my way through all of the Marple dramas on ITV catch up, but they're quite long so I could get almost a week's worth of lunch breaks out of them seeing as some days I'm in work so eat lunch with colleagues while catching up on emails.
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 8th Jan 18, 7:21 PM
    • 2,220 Posts
    • 22,955 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    p.s. Courgette lasagna for tea..no cumin.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 8th Jan 18, 7:45 PM
    • 14,327 Posts
    • 134,403 Thanks
    mardatha
    I love the first two series of Death in Paradise with that first man as the cop, didn't really like the rest.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 8th Jan 18, 8:29 PM
    • 1,727 Posts
    • 15,193 Thanks
    karcher
    Monna I can't wait to be spoilt and HUH hugs and a crocheted blanket are most welcome in whatever form they are offered, virtual or otherwise
    • maryb
    • By maryb 8th Jan 18, 8:33 PM
    • 3,503 Posts
    • 42,247 Thanks
    maryb
    You might like the latest Death in Paradise detective - it's Dougal from Father Ted
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 8th Jan 18, 9:15 PM
    • 3,312 Posts
    • 42,122 Thanks
    monnagran
    Another Father Brown fan here. Even the violent bits are somehow gentle and the bad acting is very endearing.
    I have only just cottoned on to Vera. I recorded the last series and am working my way through them.
    My guilty pleasure is Talking Pictures. I love the old black and white films and find I can hear every word they say. Unlike some of the new programmes where I can hear speaking but have no idea what they are saying. The actors seem to mumble and mutter. I thought that I was going doolally but a friend says that she has the same problem, in fact one programme she watched last week she thought was in a foreign language until she recognised a couple of words.

I wasn't as productive today as I'd planned. I sat down to do some writing this afternoon and woke up a couple of hours later with the pen still in my hand.

FairyP, Tunes are good. I also like Halls menthol sweets. They are good at clearing passages and soothe your throat while doing a bit of DynoRod action on your sinuses.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 8th Jan 18, 9:28 PM
    • 1,727 Posts
    • 15,193 Thanks
    karcher
    I am not an avid TV/Film watcher but my recent days off resulted in me putting on the TV a few times....

Apart from Shaun The Sheep Movie, I watched both Despicable Me movies and much because I loved them

I think you must all be getting a measure of me by now

Ask me about my 5 best loved novels and I promise to be more serious.
    Last edited by karcher; 08-01-2018 at 9:45 PM.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 8th Jan 18, 10:01 PM
    • 14,327 Posts
    • 134,403 Thanks
    mardatha
    I don't watch tv at all, but the RV is a rabid soap addict. Re accents monna I crack up at Eastenders. I never know what the hell they are saying and some of them overdo it so much they crack me up -
    "If you fink I'm goin to do this then you got another fink coming"
    • spirit
    • By spirit 9th Jan 18, 7:17 AM
    • 2,669 Posts
    • 6,010 Thanks
    spirit
    There's one of them every day from Edinburgh too spirit -the Dreamliner (?) Goes to Qatar. I know the noise when it's incoming as comes over this village but still pretty high. Different tone of engine altogether isn't it
    Originally posted by mardatha
    It's a cracking plane the Airbus 330. It's sooo much bigger than the other jets. It's seems to just hang in the air Mar. I wonder how something that big manages to fly.

I've not lived here long, but the locals tell me that even they stop what they are doing to watch it.

It goes out/comes in 3times a day. I
    I could easily become a plane watcher. Lol
    Last edited by spirit; 09-01-2018 at 9:16 AM. Reason: spelling, the cat walked over my keyboard, that's the excuse i'm sticking to
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 9th Jan 18, 8:14 AM
    • 14,327 Posts
    • 134,403 Thanks
    mardatha
    Ooooh not seen that one, just the Dreamliner. Will go and google that one now
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 9th Jan 18, 8:21 AM
    • 3,312 Posts
    • 42,122 Thanks
    monnagran
    Morning all.

I was woken by the sound of the digger going next door. They are widening their drive to take in half the front garden and the workmen start at some unearthly hour.

I am determined to get more done today, no more nodding off after lunch. Soooo. .....it will be shower and get stuck into the to-do list.
    However, I have no illusions, my intentions may be good, but the practice often falls woefully short.
    Of course, the first hurdle is getting out of bed. It is warm and comfortable and I have a good book on the go.

With my shortcomings in mind

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Judge me when you are perfect.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,009Posts Today

9,871Users online

Martin's Twitter