Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,267Posts
    • 30,014Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - £479.60
Page 158
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 6th Jan 18, 11:14 PM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 24,627 Thanks
    MMF007
    Ah well, it's been raining here in the caribbean almost all day!
    We went to the matinee showing of the Star War film but it was cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances - a leaky roof!
    When we got back to our accommodation we saw part of a roof tile on the patio and there was a patch of sky where roof should be. It seems we narrowly avoided being hit by a falling coconut and that's not something you can say very often!

I skyped mum on her ipad while she was visiting dad this afto. It was nice to see him but he still looks very poorly and he had not been up to sitting in the chair today. Mum says the village is coming down with the 'flu so she has asked everyone to keep away from her, for her self-preservation and to protect dad from it.

Hope you find food and sunshine, VJsMum!
    Last edited by MMF007; 06-01-2018 at 11:23 PM.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 6th Jan 18, 11:22 PM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 24,627 Thanks
    MMF007
    Breaking News!

Our hosts are taking us with them to the Prime Minister's cocktail reception next week. We have just received a gold-edged personal invitation

I can hardly wait to tell my snobby neighbour back home

Good job I packed a nice dress (actually cost £4 in the Tesco sale 2 years ago but it looks good on and I bet no-one else will be wearing the same dress ). I did do a bit of a Gok Wan on it, tbh, altering the shoulder straps and adding an understated embelishment, so I may call it a designer piece?!
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 6th Jan 18, 11:42 PM
    • 1,912 Posts
    • 24,597 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    I hope you both find sunshine some warmth. It's pretty cold here right now.

At least you cannot catch my sore throat. I hope you get some nice relaxing times.
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 6th Jan 18, 11:54 PM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 24,627 Thanks
    MMF007
    NM, hope your throat is soon better. x
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 7th Jan 18, 6:01 AM
    • 3,321 Posts
    • 42,296 Thanks
    monnagran
    MMS, of course your dress is a designer label. Someone must have designed it and I bet it has a label, (F&F?) and you have made it unique.

The Prime Minister's cocktail reception! WOW! When you meet your snobby neighbours you'll be able to drop it, oh, so casually, into the conversation in your best Hyacinth Bucket manner.

Sorry about the rain and wind though. Apart from the freezing temperature you might as well be at home.
    No, I don't mean that, we can't offer falling coconuts.

We had a slightly more tepid review from the enthusiastic viewers of the house. Apparently I am on the list.

Really not much else to report. Perhaps when the day has aired and the mug of coffee steaming gently on my bedside table has been drunk, I will think of something to talk about.
    In the meantime I will hunt out a

THOUGHT FOR SUNDAY

and here it is.

If only our eyes saw souls instead of bodies, how different our ideals of beauty wpuld be.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 7th Jan 18, 8:54 AM
    • 14,327 Posts
    • 134,482 Thanks
    mardatha
    Looking to be a fine cold sunny day at last, I begin to forget what sun looks like. Currently minus 3 but clear blue skies and when the sun gets over the hill it will be nice.
    Not that it's filling me with energy or anything. I'm still stuck in front of the fire with the cat and the laptop, doing nothing...
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 7th Jan 18, 9:18 AM
    • 3,338 Posts
    • 40,305 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    It's bright and sunny here one degree, but it's due to cloud over soon. CHS is supposed to be painting the engine bay again today but as he came home yesterday after a 'few' drinks with friends, considerably the worse for wear I don't hold out much hope that any painting will get done!
    My day, as usual will mainly contain housework and crochet with hunters chicken cooked at some point.
    Take care everyone.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 7th Jan 18, 11:18 AM
    • 2,220 Posts
    • 22,956 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Morning all,

I'm glad to hear those who are away are making the most of it...rain, Epiphany and coconuts are not match for fencers!

I've also got my fingers crossed that Monna's viewers will gradually inch her house to the top of 'the list.'

I've had an awful sore throat for two and a half days now. It seems to be easing but I've now got some mild head-coldy symptoms. I took to my bed Friday and stayed there yesterday and will take it as easy as I can today. Fortunately I don't think I'll lose my voice--not a great way to start term, trying to give lectures with no voice. I'm hoping that as the onslaught has been so slow and mild that it isn't this dreaded Aussie flu, lying in wait to pounce as soon as teaching is back on full swing.

I've also been trying not to look enviously at the clear skies and think of the walks I could have had or thing things I could have done this weekend. I've settled for putting a load of delicates on the hand wash setting in the machine and changing the bed sheets. After all of that exertion I think I'll spend the afternoon reading and maybe brave a new knitting pattern if I think my patience will bear up to it. I've been sleeping as long as possible but I'm not a good napper. Honesly, I'm not very good at sitting still, but I've noticed that my illnesses are shorter and easier if I take it easy in the beginning. It only took me 34 years to figure that one out

OH has done all of the chores without being asked and has headed out to the gym. I'll make him a special meal when I'm not ill to make up for it.

Instead of offering hugs I'll delicately wave my handkerchief at all who need them. I'm sure none of you need what I've got.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 7th Jan 18, 11:25 AM
    • 3,509 Posts
    • 42,319 Thanks
    maryb
    FairyPrincess, I've got the same sore throat. Woke up this morning (4 days in) and thought I had lost my voice but a hot shower helped and now I just sound rather sultry - much mockery from the family. Bad timing for me as DD1 completed on her first flat on Friday and the whole place needs painting before her furniture is delivered on Thursday.

She and DH are there at the moment but I have a morning's respite because I have to pick up DD2 when she gets home from her skiing trip. They had an awful journey there - stuck on the motorway near the resort for 5 hours and poor things then had an awful delay in Calais last night - nearly 6 hours delay on Eurotunnel crossings. They didn't get back to their friend's house in Guildford until 3 am so now she has to make her way home through all the Sunday engineering works
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 7th Jan 18, 12:40 PM
    • 2,220 Posts
    • 22,956 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Oh Maryb that is awful timing! Maybe a flask of hot honey lemon needs to be in your painting gear.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 7th Jan 18, 1:01 PM
    • 2,300 Posts
    • 35,067 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Hi all,

Haven’t read back yet, just popping in to say we are back from our little holiday, which was lovely - DH spoilt me rotten and bought me a beautiful solitaire diamond necklace to celebrate our 10 years together x

Lovely to be back though, woodburner on, soup bubbling away made from ‘fridge gravel’ for the weeks lunches and groceries delivered and packed away, beef and ale stew on and bread rising for the men to have with the stew.

Trying to ignore the fact I am back to work tomorrow after nearly 3 weeks

Hugs in advance, will go and read what I’ve missed now x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

January GC £250.00/ 228.00
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 7th Jan 18, 1:02 PM
    • 11,157 Posts
    • 155,603 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    MONNA I so love your quote today, it says ALL that is wrong with society at the moment and such a simple solution as a way to put it right! xxx.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • karcher
    • By karcher 7th Jan 18, 1:11 PM
    • 1,732 Posts
    • 15,277 Thanks
    karcher
    Hi all,

Haven’t read back yet, just popping in to say we are back from our little holiday, which was lovely - DH spoilt me rotten and bought me a beautiful solitaire diamond necklace to celebrate our 10 years together x

Lovely to be back though, woodburner on, soup bubbling away made from ‘fridge gravel’ for the weeks lunches and groceries delivered and packed away, beef and ale stew on and bread rising for the men to have with the stew.

Trying to ignore the fact I am back to work tomorrow after nearly 3 weeks

Hugs in advance, will go and read what I’ve missed now x
    Originally posted by Islandmaid
    Glad you had a lovely time IM

I so would love someone to spoil me

Sorry to hear there are so many poorly ((hugs)) to you all and fingers crossed you all feel better soon.

MMF and Vjsmum...boo to rain. I hope the sun is shining brightly soon for you both. Have a lovely time you both so deserve a break

Burtha I was thinking about you last night, I hope you are ok and you know where we are if you need to let off steam x
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 7th Jan 18, 6:55 PM
    • 3,321 Posts
    • 42,296 Thanks
    monnagran
    Lovely to hear from returning travellers. Sorry IM that you have work tomorrow. It comes hard, doesnt it?

So sorry for poorly ones, the ones with the dreaded virus and those with self-inflicted poorliness You listening Hester's CHS?
    I bet you sound dead sexy on the phone maryb. FPK, losing your voice is an occupational hazard I'm afraid. I had many bouts of laryngitis. Now I thought that tablet would offer the correct spelling there, but no. I could have had arthritis or ladybugs, neither of which seemed appropriate. Anyway, when I had no voice and classes of up to 45 primary school children we had a very quiet classroom. I whispered to them and they whispered back. There was not the same effect with older children.

Karcher, when you make your visit I promise to spoil you. I'm not bad at that.
    I have never stopped thinking about burtha either. Christmas must have been so hard and she is so brave.
    Burtha, if you read this please know that we are still rooting for you.

It's freezing here tonight. I've had a hot shower and retired to bed with 2 hot water bottles, a hot drink and my book. The wind is howling so I will have to get up early to put the bins out otherwise they will be rolling around the lane scattering their contents far and wide all night.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 7th Jan 18, 7:18 PM
    • 4,190 Posts
    • 35,810 Thanks
    Floss
    Monna is your hot patch not with you?
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 7th Jan 18, 7:18 PM
    • 4,932 Posts
    • 72,426 Thanks
    VJsmum
    We found a supermarket that was open and are now stocked up (I have deep rooted unease at having no food in. We grew up quite poor and, although we never went without, I was always aware of my mother's struggle to make ends meet).

We went to the main town where it was, indeed, warm and sunny and had croissant and coffee breakfast. It is very lovely indeed here, but our house is halfway up a mountain and so a bit cooler than the main town (24 degrees in town, probably about 20 here - sorry monna ). Having said that, we spent the afternoon reading and dozing in the sun whilst dodging the odd shower. Tomorrow we are set to explore.

Obviously I haven't forgotten what has happened but have managed to invoke some yoga style mindfulness and just take everything in the moment. It has been good to have a do nothing day.. Had a panic when I saw that I'd had FIVE missed calls from an unknown but hometown number. I was mindful of Dorothy Parker's "what fresh hell is THIS?". Fortunately it was my auntie (dad's sister) thanking me for sending her a copy of the poem and the celebrants script as she is a little hard of hearing and had missed some of it - phew
    Last edited by VJsmum; 07-01-2018 at 7:21 PM.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 8th Jan 18, 7:22 AM
    • 2,220 Posts
    • 22,956 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Morning all,

I had a tough night last night, coughing etc. The wind was (and is still) raging outside, howling, knocking, blowing. Even the letterbox is tapping. Fortunately OH made it to work safely. He set off well before six. I'm working from home today and have already made a start.

Monna--I'm lecturing to a group of just over 100 on Thursday, whispering might encourage them to stop sitting on the back row Then again, when they see what I've got that might do well to keep their distance.

VJsMum--your break sounds lovely and I think you'r doing wonderfully. A bit of staying in the moment and just soaking things in sounds like such a good approach.

MMF (or should that be Lady MMF) how did the designer gown go down?

Right, time for a break and some breakfast.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 8th Jan 18, 7:57 AM
    • 3,321 Posts
    • 42,296 Thanks
    monnagran
    FairyP, I suggest you come clean from the start. "If you want to hear me, sit in the front. If you want to avoid catching something nasty, go to the back," should sort them out. You have 2 whole days sipping hot lemon and honey and gurgling with soluble aspirin and swallowing it. The only things I ever found that worked.
    Ah. You could gurgle I suppose, though 'gargle' was what I was after.

Floss, I should have said 1 hot water bottle and one warm patch. I was saving myself a couple of tapped out words.

The bins were put out an hour ago, while it was still dark. Still windy too, my dressing gown was whipped around my substantial frame to the great delight/shock/horror of a car load of hotel workers being delivered to Warners

.Plans for today are fluid depending on mood, weather, energy. The joy of retirement.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

He who buys what he does not need steals from himself. (Swedish proverb)
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 8th Jan 18, 8:36 AM
    • 268 Posts
    • 3,462 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    I didn't put our bin out until this morning, fearing it might get blown down the road.
    Only wearing pj's I thought it's early, still dark, no one about, I'll pop out quickly only to hear 'good morning' from my neighbour
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 8th Jan 18, 9:17 AM
    • 14,327 Posts
    • 134,482 Thanks
    mardatha
    That's the kind of morning you hear the door snick gently behind you and realise you're locked out...
    Beautiful morning up here, heavy white frost on everything, snow frozen to concrete, brilliant blue sky and dead calm, Edinburgh airport reporting minus 9 earlier. I'm watching all the vapour trails in the clear sky and comparing them with FlightTracker lol that's how bored I am. It's the closest I'll ever get to a holiday
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,856Posts Today

8,746Users online

Martin's Twitter