Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,259Posts
    • 29,917Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - £479.60
Page 157
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 5th Jan 18, 3:51 PM
    • 14,303 Posts
    • 134,006 Thanks
    mardatha
    I should have complained when that one wasn't fixed properly yes, but thought if I do that then they'll just send it away again to be fixed properly lol. Then I got this new one. I always pay a lot for top range laptops maggie as it is my lifeline to the world, my social life, my sole connection to Life on Earth and I reckon it's worth it
    Until the bl00dy things break down ...
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 5th Jan 18, 3:56 PM
    • 5,064 Posts
    • 53,214 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Mar I run my laptop off the mains all the time, no problems at all

monnagran I hope the viewing went as well as you could have wished xx

(hugs) to everyone xx
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 5th Jan 18, 4:07 PM
    • 2,692 Posts
    • 28,483 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    It shouldn't need to be sent away if the battery is faulty Mar, they should just send you a new battery. Just ring them and tell them the battery is no longer holding it's charge.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 5th Jan 18, 4:25 PM
    • 14,303 Posts
    • 134,006 Thanks
    mardatha
    YY it's ok now I know it is def the battery, I'll ask them if it's covered and if not then just buy one meself xx.
    I got kittie's book today - A Soup for Every Day. Not opened it yet, saving that for tonight. If we have 2 soup-and-pudding days a week then that will be healthier and cheaper.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 5th Jan 18, 6:20 PM
    • 1,719 Posts
    • 15,016 Thanks
    karcher
    IThen I got this new one. I always pay a lot for top range laptops maggie as it is my lifeline to the world, my social life, my sole connection to Life on Earth and I reckon it's worth it
    Until the bl00dy things break down ...
    Originally posted by mardatha
    You know I am now of that opinion too.

I am currently coping with 2 very old, second hand laptops and once they die I have decided to buy a good one (not as expensive as yours but more than I have ever spent before).

I am trying to save and will do lots of research but hope these last me a few more months at least as I can't afford one yet unless I use my credit card and that isn't very !!

However, funnily enough, this laptop had a critical error and shut itself down as I was mid 'replying to post' It must have known I was talking about it
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 5th Jan 18, 6:37 PM
    • 1,905 Posts
    • 24,473 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Its a lot cheaper to have a desk top. I have been using mine 7 and a half years.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 5th Jan 18, 6:44 PM
    • 1,719 Posts
    • 15,016 Thanks
    karcher
    Its a lot cheaper to have a desk top. I have been using mine 7 and a half years.
    Originally posted by nursemaggie
    Not for me as I want to sit on the sofa with it and take it to bed with me for the endless sleepless nights!

Portability is important to me and anyway I have nowhere to put a desk top.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 5th Jan 18, 8:14 PM
    • 3,357 Posts
    • 53,612 Thanks
    silvasava
    Karcher - I bought a tablet about 3 years ago. I absolutely love it. I no longer sit upstairs on my PC in the evening when DH is watching all his car programmes. I can chat on here, play Scrabble with my friends and message each other. I wouldn't be without it now and much more user friendly than a laptop.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • karcher
    • By karcher 5th Jan 18, 8:27 PM
    • 1,719 Posts
    • 15,016 Thanks
    karcher
    Karcher - I bought a tablet about 3 years ago. I absolutely love it. I no longer sit upstairs on my PC in the evening when DH is watching all his car programmes. I can chat on here, play Scrabble with my friends and message each other. I wouldn't be without it now and much more user friendly than a laptop.
    Originally posted by silvasava
    I have tried a tablet but I admit I struggled with it.

My eyes couldn't read it unless I enlarged the page then I couldn't see it all I also struggled with the on screen keyboard.

I also found it hard to hold/type on etc...I'm sure it's just me as most seem to cope, but I didn't like it at all.

For my own sanity I need something bigger and with a proper keyboard iyswim.

Just for the record, I turn my laptop off and read instead when I go to bed as I know the 'blue' screen light isn't conducive to sleep...but I do like having my laptop at hand for the long sleepless nights
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 5th Jan 18, 8:36 PM
    • 3,202 Posts
    • 29,258 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Originally posted by silvasava
    You are doing so much better than me, I have had my tablet for a couple of years now and like it for surfing the web and using in the kitchen for recipes, but having been a typist for 52 years I hate the lack of a keyboard and having arthritis in my hands makes using a stylus so painful

My lovely local (small country town) computer firm recently put a new hard drive in 5 year old expensive lap top from JL, re-loaded my software, gave it a thorough going over and managed to retrieve all my files for £145 inc VAT. Now getting grips with Windows 10, not finding it too bad
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 5th Jan 18, 9:01 PM
    • 14,303 Posts
    • 134,006 Thanks
    mardatha
    I need a keyboard and a laptop, and I like wind10 as well maddie. So tired tonight I can't keep eyes open here so might have an early night. To be below freezing all day tomorrow and maybe some snow
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 6th Jan 18, 7:57 AM
    • 3,293 Posts
    • 41,751 Thanks
    monnagran
    I am in awe of all your techie know-how. I can do lots of things once I've learned how and as long as the machine responds as expected. If anything happens that I don't expect, then it's panic stations.
    I also loved my desktop. I seemed to be able to do anything on it. Goodness, I even produced a magazine for 2 churches on it, with cartoons, photographs, adverts for events, in boxes and in colour, the whole caboodle.

I had to leave it behind because I didn't have room for it when I was living with my family.

Now it's the famous, tablet with a mind of its own. I do have a second hand laptop but it has windows10 which I don't understand at all.

The viewing went well yesterday, a nice couple who were very enthusiastic about the house, but that doesn't always mean what you hope it does.

I'm thinking of VJsmum jetting off to sunshine and warmth. I'm not a jealous person but.................

Thinking of having a lazy day today. The house still looks clean and tidy and only I know the complete chaos that lurks under the surface. I really fancy a day curled up in my rocking chair with the TV, my book and a bit of knitting for company.

Stay warm everybody. I'm looking at the news reports of the weather across the Atlantic and wonder how long it will take to get here.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

"No," is a complete sentence. It does not require justification or explanation.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • spirit
    • By spirit 6th Jan 18, 8:07 AM
    • 2,659 Posts
    • 5,990 Thanks
    spirit
    Sending good vibes Monna that your viewer puts in an acceptable offer in the next couple of days.
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 6th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 4,138 Posts
    • 48,941 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning everyone.

Some techie guys where I work are putting off buying any new computers until the fix is done on the viruses currently being highlighted on the news. Just something to bear in mind as they must know something about it.
    Savings 2018: £1.44 Savings 2017: £13449.71
    Flylady Slinkie Wannabee: Start weight (1/1/18) 12st 2lbs - Current weight 12st 0lbs

• Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 6th Jan 18, 9:12 AM
    • 3,329 Posts
    • 40,130 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    I have a kindle fire and a laptop, the kindle is ok for reading and sending short messages but I use my laptop for preference. My kindle, like Monna's tablet has some very strange predictive text opinions.

It's ffffreezing here this morning, the stove went out over night still I relit it and I've had a bowl of porridge so I'm warm now.

Fingers crossed that the viewing has a good outcome Monna.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 6th Jan 18, 9:22 AM
    • 14,303 Posts
    • 134,006 Thanks
    mardatha
    Monna it's worth persevering with windows 10, I find it much better.
    We've got snow on and off here and the birds are massing on the shed roof waiting for their digestive biscuits
    To be minus 6 tonight.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 6th Jan 18, 10:26 AM
    • 1,719 Posts
    • 15,016 Thanks
    karcher
    Morning everyone.

Some techie guys where I work are putting off buying any new computers until the fix is done on the viruses currently being highlighted on the news. Just something to bear in mind as they must know something about it.
    Originally posted by Jazee
    Thanks for that Jazee.

I knew nothing about any viruses etc as I am a complete technophobe and utterly useless with them.

Monna I am in awe of your techie knowledge there is no way I could produce a magazine on a computer!! I hope you hear back from the viewers with good news.

I love your thought for the day..I always feel like I have to justify myself.

ETA I really like Windows 10 now I have got used to it.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 6th Jan 18, 11:11 AM
    • 3,357 Posts
    • 53,612 Thanks
    silvasava
    I volunteer at my local age concern showing people how to use their phones, tablets, iPads, laptops etc. One of the things I always say to people is a) nowadays you cannot do anything drastic to your appliance - it will always ask you if you really want to do a particular action if it will affect anything else (not like years ago!!) b) phones, tablets, laptops etc are like different supermarkets - they all do very similar or the same things they just put them in different places so sometimes you have to hunt!!
    Fingers crossed on the viewing Monna
    Busy day today - DS1 has his 50th birthday party at the club tonight and I still havn't printed off embarrassing photos! All the decorations need to come down, better get my arris in gear
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • MadamMim2013
    • By MadamMim2013 6th Jan 18, 11:52 AM
    • 377 Posts
    • 4,549 Thanks
    MadamMim2013
    THOUGHT FOR TODAY

"No," is a complete sentence. It does not require justification or explanation.
    Originally posted by monnagran

Thank you for this monnagran, was much needed and shall be used often from now on!
    Never let anyone steal your wings!
    Living life happily!
    Debt Free date: 2018!!!
    Jan 18 GC: £118.60/£350... £2 Savers 2017: £88
    Roadkill 2018: 0p

• VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 6th Jan 18, 5:43 PM
    • 4,900 Posts
    • 71,856 Thanks
    VJsmum

I'm thinking of VJsmum jetting off to sunshine and warmth. I'm not a jealous person but...............
    Originally posted by monnagran
    Don't be - it's raining And its epiphany and all the supermarkets are shut.

We arrived just after lunch and it was warm and sunny then. Luckily we ate out and kept half a pizza each just in case. We've managed to get some snacks, milk etc... And beer..

It is beautiful though and I am hoping the rain is temporary and we'll not starve.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

483Posts Today

4,577Users online

Martin's Twitter