Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,265Posts
    • 29,986Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - £479.60
Page 156
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 3rd Jan 18, 3:11 PM
    • 536 Posts
    • 6,773 Thanks
    nannywindow
    VJsMum I hope today has gone as well as it could. Sending many gentle hugs to you and your family.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 3rd Jan 18, 4:20 PM
    • 1,909 Posts
    • 24,540 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Well I did tell VJsmum I was thinking of her and I hoped everything went OK. Don't know what happened to it. Sorry VJsmum.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 3rd Jan 18, 9:20 PM
    • 4,921 Posts
    • 72,204 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Hello all, you are all so kind. Sorry to hijack the thread again. We are back.

Funeral went really well, the service was lovely and very personal to dad. My brother read my poem beautifully and it was much praised and raised a few laughs. Also, I don't suppose too many funerals feature the theme tune to "Only Fools and Horses"

It was great going back to "our" pub, it hasn't really changed that much.

Feeling a bit overwhelmed tonight so going to bed soon and a new start tomorrow,

Thanks again, you are all amazing. Xx
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Floss
    • By Floss 3rd Jan 18, 9:47 PM
    • 4,183 Posts
    • 35,699 Thanks
    Floss
    VJsmum enjoy your sunshine xx
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 4th Jan 18, 6:54 AM
    • 3,312 Posts
    • 42,099 Thanks
    monnagran
    Good morning all.

I'm a bit puzzled this morning. The front of the house, where my room is, is still wet and noisily windy. I've just let Millie out into the back garden and it is all quiet and peaceful. I know it is a walled garden, but I couldn't even hear the wind. Strange.

The church lunch went well yesterday in spite of our panic and I still managed to bring a sausage home for Millie. She was duly grateful. I think.

VJsmum, I'm so glad that all went well yesterday, and I dont think that the Only Fools and Horses music was odd. I'm sure I've heard stranger things. Hope you get off safely on Saturday and if you could bring back a bit of warm sunshine we will kiss your feet.

A domestic day for me today, a bit of tidying, a bit of cleaning and a lot of ironing. The ironing is what I am looking forward to. I know. Sad.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

The difference between who you are and who you want to be is what you do.
    Last edited by monnagran; 04-01-2018 at 7:00 AM.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 4th Jan 18, 8:39 AM
    • 3,335 Posts
    • 40,262 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    VJsmum, glad it all went well, nothing wrong with the Only Fools music. My beloved carried his firstborn's coffin to the Postman Pat theme tune.
    The wind has dropped, I slept like a log last night, a noisy log as I snored a lot and woke myself up.
    More housework today and possibly a couple of hours spent with dgd.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 4th Jan 18, 11:44 AM
    • 14,325 Posts
    • 134,374 Thanks
    mardatha
    Dreich dull dark horrible rainy day up here. RV overdid things by pushing son's bike up the hill and into our garden and now his heart is really acting up. If that was me, he;d give me a lecture about being stupid - but when it's him then he had to do it/there was nothing else he could do/stop nagging me. MEN!
    • karcher
    • By karcher 4th Jan 18, 2:18 PM
    • 1,727 Posts
    • 15,189 Thanks
    karcher
    VJsmum I'm glad it went well yesterday now concentrate on having a warm, relaxing break
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 2:55 PM
    • 4,183 Posts
    • 35,699 Thanks
    Floss
    Karcher how are you today?

I've been tidying up my "study" today - quite a bit of stuff binned, a box of paper rubbish went out for recycling earlier, shelves sorted and looking neater, with things I need to access easier to get at

Am planning to make a start on my hobby room later, when DH is out & then busy, as he tends to get a bit nosey and I've got all sorts of stuff in there!
    • karcher
    • By karcher 4th Jan 18, 6:12 PM
    • 1,727 Posts
    • 15,189 Thanks
    karcher
    Karcher how are you today?

I've been tidying up my "study" today - quite a bit of stuff binned, a box of paper rubbish went out for recycling earlier, shelves sorted and looking neater, with things I need to access easier to get at

Am planning to make a start on my hobby room later, when DH is out & then busy, as he tends to get a bit nosey and I've got all sorts of stuff in there!
    Originally posted by Floss
    Hi Floss

How lovely of you to ask
    I'm ok.
    I am making a concerted effort not to be so negative, I'm sure I bore you all stupid

Thank you for asking though
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 4th Jan 18, 6:22 PM
    • 4,921 Posts
    • 72,204 Thanks
    VJsmum
    took down the tree and other decs today as we are off to Gatwick tomorrow. Also did some shopping for the 'children' - just basics really and we'll leave them a small amount of cash to get meals they might want / need. I will also hide a bankcard they don't know the number to, so if there's a cash crisis I can send them the number. I think that might be fraud, so don't tell

Went back to yoga this morning - I was a bit rubbish but it felt good to be back.

I have done no work
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 4th Jan 18, 6:24 PM
    • 14,325 Posts
    • 134,374 Thanks
    mardatha
    You have a wind down VJsmum and just drift and recuperate xx
    • karcher
    • By karcher 4th Jan 18, 6:32 PM
    • 1,727 Posts
    • 15,189 Thanks
    karcher

I have done no work
    Originally posted by VJsmum
    Quite right too
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 4th Jan 18, 7:24 PM
    • 1,909 Posts
    • 24,540 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    After the very cold wind that got up this afternoon, I wish I was coming with you VJsmum. Do enjoy your holiday.

I could have done with that idea about the card for DS when I got rushed into hospital. He finished his last exam at collage the day before and so had finished. I was planning on going shopping and going to the bank that morning.

Normally he would not have got up that morning, it would probably have been just as I got in as he would have been waiting to see if I bought any crisps. There was nothing in the fridge and only two pizzas in the freezer. While I was in hospital for a week he ate the two pizzas, some biscuits and finished off all of the cereals and the bread. I think he may have eaten at a couple of friends. He used the £10 in my purse to visit me in hospital twice. He had no money to fetch me home and my other son refused to lend us some money to get me home.

That morning I had to shout and shout because I had passed out at the top of the stairs, fallen down the four steps to the turn and could not get up. DS called the ambulance. They would not let me have my handbag so I had nothing.

There was no provision for an over 18 year old school boy being penniless. They were very annoyed with me for not having anything. Where did they think I was going to get any money from with no handbag and no clothes. I am sure I was not the only emergency admission with no access to an adult.

I have kept £200 in the house ever since. We both borrow from it and put it back same day but thank God we have not needed it again. I don't let the freezer go empty any more.

The hospital sent me home in an ambulance when they realised there was no one to fetch me. Too late for us to get any food.

I went to town today. Did not realise how icy and strong the wind was. As I was approaching the bus station the wind grabbed my trolley and pulled me into the bus station. I ran all the way in, it was a good job the doors are automatic. I have not run that fast for years.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 5th Jan 18, 7:29 AM
    • 3,312 Posts
    • 42,099 Thanks
    monnagran
    Morning all.

I didn't get any cleaning or tidying done yesterday as I realised that I had to be a bit more radical. So, in my wisdom I decided to start completely sorting out and organising everything I have here. You know how it goes. Everything is pulled out and the top of the house had piles of sorted, half-sorted and waiting-to-be-sorted heaps all over the place.
    It's a pity I didn't check my emails during the day, but I was full of self-righteous busyness.
    When I finally got round to picking up my tablet just before I got into bed, I was pole-axed to discover that I had a house viewing booked for 11.30 this morning.

Cue little old lady going around the house like a whirling dervish gathering up armfuls of detritus and stuffing them into bags, boxes, drawers and cupboards.
    I don't think I will be able to find anything ever again.

This morning there will be some fast, surface cleaning, so the viewer will be assailed by the perfume of bleach, disinfectant and polish. As long as it's not aroma of dog we will be winning.

I hope everyone is well. You must be excited VJsmum.
    nursemaggie, I would have loved to see you doing your Ursain Bolt impression in the bus station.
    karcher, don't you dare pretend positive just for us. When positive is REAL we will all rejoice with you, but until then just tell us how you are feeling and we will cluster round you in support.

OK. Let battle commence.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Mama says, "Nothing cleans the house like company coming."
    Last edited by monnagran; 05-01-2018 at 7:49 AM.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 5th Jan 18, 9:11 AM
    • 14,325 Posts
    • 134,374 Thanks
    mardatha
    LOL monna what you need is moi, down there with the RV for a wee holiday. I'd get your place tidy - but you'd be left with nothing that isn't glued nailed or built in and you'd be in total
    My laptop is out of warranty with JL in 3 weeks and it has suddenly started to die on me if I pull out the power cable. The battery says 97% full and charging but it's lying. I paid £850 for it and don't really want to take it in to JL as the last one, my big lovely Toshiba, went back for a fault and was never right after it, had some other new probs when it came back, plus it was scratched. I'm wondering if I can just run this one on mains power as that would be fine for me..
    • Floss
    • By Floss 5th Jan 18, 9:28 AM
    • 4,183 Posts
    • 35,699 Thanks
    Floss
    Mar save everything, including your shortcuts, to a usb stick... then ring JL If it isnt working, it should be repaired but check on the techie forum and in the JL small print in case it is a battery issue that they may not cover.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 5th Jan 18, 12:57 PM
    • 14,325 Posts
    • 134,374 Thanks
    mardatha
    The laptop has now kindly told me the battery is dead. LOL!
    • Floss
    • By Floss 5th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    • 4,183 Posts
    • 35,699 Thanks
    Floss
    Have you g00gled the fault Mar? There might be advice onlibe x
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 5th Jan 18, 2:53 PM
    • 1,909 Posts
    • 24,540 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    You should have put in a complaint to JL last time mar. You should make them pay that is far too much money for lap top. JL will keep their reputation for good service if you don't complain.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

951Posts Today

7,831Users online

Martin's Twitter