Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,198Posts
    • 29,318Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - £555.59
Page 122
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 7th Dec 17, 9:48 AM
    • 4,911 Posts
    • 70,738 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Thanks all for your kind words and thoughts - it really does mean a lot.

i don't know about MMF (and others), but we don't have to be sad all the time.. As MMF said about her dad, I think it is his time now and, whilst i don't want any of us to go through this, we have no choice. But I'd quite like to go back to the nonsense and find that bleeding elephant...
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 7th Dec 17, 9:54 AM
    • 1,875 Posts
    • 24,058 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    My hospital visit this morning will get my latest scan result. My thoughts are with everyone. Hugs to everyone.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 7th Dec 17, 10:08 AM
    • 4,911 Posts
    • 70,738 Thanks
    VJsmum
    The very best of thoughts with you, Nurse Maggie.
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Floss
    • By Floss 7th Dec 17, 10:15 AM
    • 4,109 Posts
    • 33,937 Thanks
    Floss
    I think i found offspring of the elephant in DH's wardrobe....a ginormous amount of shirts in varying states of health, which he insisted are "perfectly fine" until he tried to find his fave for his Christmas do. They are now all on the back bedroom chair, awaiting a cull
    • Floss
    • By Floss 7th Dec 17, 10:17 AM
    • 4,109 Posts
    • 33,937 Thanks
    Floss
    Oh and just a word of advice - don't try to eat any croissants tgat have been in the same freezer as grated h/g garlic and horseradish...they are yucky!
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 7th Dec 17, 10:39 AM
    • 3,210 Posts
    • 40,392 Thanks
    monnagran
    Morning all. A late start today because like a lot of you we have howling winds, torrential rain and it's dark out there. I took one look outside and went back to bed with coffee and toast.
    MMS, sounds like you have today sorted too. You really can't do much for your Dad right now and your Mum needs you more , so I hope you both enjoy your break.

Sorry VJsmum, I am right out of nonsense right now. What I really need is for Samantha's (of Bewitched) twitchy nose to clean my house for me, a magic carpet, with awning, to transport me to the hairdressers in the dry, and for Christmas to be moved back to about the end of February.

nursemaggie, everything crossed for you. Please let there be good news.

Now I'd better wave a duster around as Samantha seems to have gone AWOL.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Everything, but everything, is figureoutable.
    Last edited by monnagran; 07-12-2017 at 10:47 AM.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 7th Dec 17, 11:07 AM
    • 1,559 Posts
    • 13,133 Thanks
    karcher
    Morning all.

My thoughts and best wishes to MMF & VJSmum. Take care both.

All the best to nm and thoughts with the little man who is facing such a cruel illness.

Whilst nursing a sick parent near the end is devastating, having a very sick child is horrendous and heartbreaking.. Every parent's worse nightmare so my thoughts are with the little boy and his family.

Take good care one and all and hugs and strength to those in need. Xx
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 7th Dec 17, 11:09 AM
    • 1,875 Posts
    • 24,058 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Worst thing about today is I am having to leave DS to take delivery of his Christmas present. His hair dryer stopped working. It was never a good one.

I ordered one the day before yesterday. Who would believe there were so many hair dryers hundreds of them in prices ranging from £15 to about £150. I was not paying the top end so I went for something in the middle. I just hope it does not say what it is on the outside. Amazon being Amazon as usual it is coming early it was due Saturday.

How do they always manage to deliver everything I order when I "have" to be out most of the day. Thankfully DS has his only day off this week today.

Where is Polly? I hope she is OK.

monna how come you need Christmas postponing every year? It falls on December 25th every year so you know it is coming for a year.
    Last edited by nursemaggie; 07-12-2017 at 11:13 AM.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 7th Dec 17, 5:01 PM
    • 4,911 Posts
    • 70,738 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Hi all. On my way hime from the hospital. Dad was very perky and much more with it. Really pleased to see us. He didn't talk about the diagnosis so we took our cue from him. I guess this might be the "denial" stage but it was lovely to see him as 'dad in hospital ' not 'terminally ill dad'.

They have done a bine scan which has confirmed the diagnosis and i am now satisfied that they have done everything they can regarding the diagnosis. A positive experience and i dont plan to go back until Monday.
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 7th Dec 17, 5:15 PM
    • 1,045 Posts
    • 23,439 Thanks
    MMF007
    How did your hosp visit go, NM?

We waited for the wind speed to drop to a mere 60mph and braved the 20 miles (very windy but i drove steadily, round some fallen branches, and we were fine) and dad gave us a ticking off for not getting there earlier! I said we'd probably be there late morning tomorrow because it is going to snow all night. His response? You'll be alright, the wagons will be moving and they'll clear the roads!
    I made a few phonecalls for him and he spoke to his sister and then his brother. He was talking with his hands, which involved waving the phone around at the same time. He missed some of what he siblings said and I had to help the communications. I answered his incoming call ' Dad's secretary speaking, how may I direct your call'.

Mum looks a bit more rested and we are about to tuck into hm stir fried chicken and veg.

If i find the elephant, which is perfectly possible in this house (a big old house with 5 rooms and a conservatory down stairs, 4 rooms upstairs and a million doors to close to keep the rooms warm!), I'll ask him to play a cheerful tune as he trumpets his way south
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 7th Dec 17, 10:43 PM
    • 1,875 Posts
    • 24,058 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Thank you for thinking of me with all your problems MMF007. I'm glad your mother is a bit more rested she will be much better at home.

I got in about 9pm. have not thawed out yet so I have put the oil filled radiator on. The storage heaters will have been cold for hours. Trains and buses were late both ways and way over crowded. No change then.

It's certainly cold enough to snow. DS told me before I went out it would snow from 1 am so he will have to walk his first two miles in the snow. He gets the so called mini bus from the bus station. It's not very reliable.

I got a bit of a shock this morning the council have taken my housing benefit and most of my council tax benefit away, they are also saying DS has to pay when he is not allowed on the lease. They expect him to pay an extra £14.55 more than the rent actually is. I don't think that is fair especially as most young men his age living at home with their parents are not even paying for their food.

I can't see how it can go from 100% to 0% when I have had no rise in my income. What DS pays is his share of the bills and his food. I did expect to lose some like I did when he had the very short job with B&Q but not for him to not only pay the full rent but extra to every one else. Families don't pay extra rent because there are more of them. This bliddy government takes money from the poor to give to the rich.

Sorry about the rant. I know others have more to contend with. I lost both my parents a long time ago. I do know it is difficult. You never quite get over it after all they have been around all of your life. I think I will make everyone a permanent part of my prayers. I feel closer than to real friends.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 7th Dec 17, 10:46 PM
    • 1,875 Posts
    • 24,058 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    I for got my best news. Silly me. My scan was totally clear the little bits of cancer that grew when they stopped the treatment have totally gone.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 8th Dec 17, 1:41 AM
    • 3,210 Posts
    • 40,392 Thanks
    monnagran
    Dear nursemaggie, devastating though the news is about the money, it seems small beer compared to the news that all the cancer has gone. What wonderful, wonderful news. You must be so relieved.
    As to the mess up over the benefits, I am speechless. It's very much a feeling of ,"Here we go again." I can understand that they would expect your son to pay a portion of the rent, and if they are taking the income of the household into account, maybe a bit more but not the added bit. Surely the rent is a fixed sum like any other bill? The bus company can't say, "The fare is £X, but as you have now had a rise we are going to charge you £X + £5."
    I do have to say though that once my sons started to work I expected them to contribute to household expenses. They had to learn that living costs money and they didn't get free ride. It stood them in good stead when they finally left home and had to pay their own way.

You have had a long exhausting day and I hope you will be able to have a good sleep tonight.

MMF I had to grin at the picture of your dad waving the phone around while trying to have a conversation. I think that the break I visiting will have done your mum good.

I quite like being awake at this time, it gives me a quiet time to think about all my friends on here and I like that. I'll keep my ears open for tuneful elephant solo. At least the wind has dropped tonight so I should be able to hear him approaching. I am assuming it's a 'him'.
    Let me think - blunders about getting in the way, eats everything in sight, makes a lot of noise that apparently is called, 'singing,' mar has designs on him, leaves dirty great footprints wherever he goes - yeah, it's a him.

Back to the land of dreams.
    • burtha
    • By burtha 8th Dec 17, 2:03 AM
    • 591 Posts
    • 6,249 Thanks
    burtha
    Hi,
    Ñursemaggie , fantastic news about the cancer , hope you get the money stuff sorted soon .
    Monna if you find the elephant please send him my way first ,... I have a couple of people I would like him to stamp on ........
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 8th Dec 17, 2:43 AM
    • 3,210 Posts
    • 40,392 Thanks
    monnagran
    OK burtha, I'm sending him back northwards with his hobnail boots on.

Just take care of yourself because I'm not there to do it for you.
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 8th Dec 17, 4:51 AM
    • 1,045 Posts
    • 23,439 Thanks
    MMF007
    NM, that's fantasic news from the hospital! Soooo glad to hear it.

You must be shattered after the day you've had (stress about hospital and the appalling travel situation). I hope you can rest properly for a few hours

I am sure your lovely, hardworking son will pay towards all the household bills, the rent being part of the cost of his accommodation, whether or not his name is on the lease. As soon as my brother and I started work (part time while still at school), we paid our share of the phone bills! Once we left school we paid 'keep' until we left for uni. Our family was not poor, we always had food on the table and an annual 2 week staycation, but we did mind the pennies, and it has stood us in good stead. .

It is snowing sideways here and I am worrying about how we are going to visit dad today. I have driven on snow but it is not a thing to be done unless essential, leaving aside my competence or otherwise (!) there are other drivers to contend with ,too......
    Dad got the duty Doctor to ring us last night to tell us how he was (ok, but very tired - too much arm-waving, perhaps?!). Doc was first known to us as a trainee who we met when he got engaged to a friend of our family, he qualified years ago and has always been very good with dad and his little foibles and I think dad will have benefitted from seeing a familiar face in the medical profession.

Right-ho, cup of tea has been consumed so I'm off back to bed for a couple of hours.

Keep warm Everyone x
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 8th Dec 17, 7:50 AM
    • 3,210 Posts
    • 40,392 Thanks
    monnagran
    MMF, you take care, driving in snow is no fun at all. I learned to drive during the legendary winter of 1962/3 and my driving test was one of the first when the test centres re-opened. The snow was still banked 5ft high on the sides of the road. Reversing round a corner was interesting. No, I didn't pass, that was the test where I shot the traffic lights. The examiner's sharply indrawn breath still resonates in my ears.

No snow here, we seldom get it on the island. When we first moved here we were told that it never snowed. Our first winter it did and the snow slid off the church roof and crushed our car parked underneath. It was amazing, at 3.00am people were out in their gardens making snowmen because they were afraid the snow would have disappeared by the morning.

Stay safe and warm everyone.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

You have to be odd to be number one. (Dr Seuss)
    Last edited by monnagran; 08-12-2017 at 8:06 AM.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 8th Dec 17, 8:26 AM
    • 11,177 Posts
    • 154,032 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Merry Christmas NURSEMAGGIE I guess that news is the VERY best present you'll have this year. So very pleased to read a wonderful piece of truly good news xxx.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 8th Dec 17, 10:21 AM
    • 3,261 Posts
    • 39,036 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Great news NM, so pleased for you.

I definitely don't have the elephant, I'd notice the boat listing if he was here.

I spent yesterday with DD1, she's thinking of taking on a baby (fostered) in the new year, she already has 5 children, she's also going to rescue a dog or 2, she likes a busy house!

I'm girding my loins to go and clean a boat, it's a horrible job in the winter as the empty boats are so cold and damp, but at least it's sunny today, hooray.
    Last edited by Hard Up Hester; 08-12-2017 at 10:23 AM.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 8th Dec 17, 2:07 PM
    • 4,911 Posts
    • 70,738 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Fantastic news NM re the cancer (not the money )
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,446Posts Today

7,231Users online

Martin's Twitter