Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,192Posts
    • 29,265Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - £585.59
Page 119
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 4th Dec 17, 12:39 PM
    • 3,242 Posts
    • 38,755 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    It is just over 5 miles from where I'm moored and where I had to be, and I took CHS to the bus stop on the way as he has gone to meet up with his sober brother.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 4th Dec 17, 1:36 PM
    • 1,861 Posts
    • 23,888 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    I've never been to an in person discussion but I have done them on line.

I was asked to one, can't remember what it was about but it I had to go to Glasgow every Monday. I would have had my travel expenses paid as well as quite a substantial check at the end. I have taken part in ten minute questions on the phone. You tend to get £20 for them.

money if you want to do some of this market research send me a pm. There are a lot of boring questions to answer in between. I make about £1200 a year mostly in either money in my PayPal account or Amazon vouchers. It enables me to have some money for buying presents, some clothes and a few things for the house, I have also been able to go to Malta to visit my DD three times in 2 years.

There is no way I could have done this with my low income especially as I have had to support DS for nearly 5 years.

Did you Enjoy the discussion Hester?
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 4th Dec 17, 1:50 PM
    • 4,891 Posts
    • 70,501 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Afternoon all - wishing you strength and light MMF

We have had a father development - he was taken into hospital on Saturday morning, after waiting 7 hours between pulling the emergency cord and the paramedics turning up. To be fair my brother was with him, but ... 7 hours

He was in excrutiating pain and had heard and felt a 'pop' in his knee. However, xrays have shown nothing but he has been diagnosed with a urinary infection and possible sepsis so is on antibiotics. I was 6 hours away in wales with no car so have been in contact with my sister throughout. I will go down tomorrow. I think our issue about his care has been brought to a head as he cannot walk unaided at the moment so need to work out some kind of care plan before they can let him out. COnsultant is due round today, so hopefully we'll know a bit more then. Dad is desperate to get home - 5 years ago he spent 6 months in hospital because he got one thing after another and he is terrified of the same happening - understandably.

on top of that, i got smacked in the eye with a bramble on saturday (I had spent the weekend hedgelaying). My eye looks a bit gruesome as it has filled with blood - but my vision is ok and I feel no pain other than a slight bruised feeling. Dr Google says it will go away in a few days.

What a strange life this is.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 4th Dec 17, 2:30 PM
    • 1,861 Posts
    • 23,888 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    The bramble in your eye sounds nasty VJsmum. If you start to feel any real pain I would go to A&E. You could of course pop into an optician's and let them look at it. You need to be careful with eyes. There is the possibility if infection. You will know it will either itch like mad or be in pain or both. It is probably just a scratch and will heal up quicker than the blood shot eye.

Be assured the hospital will have a case conference about your father and make sure care is in place before they discharge him. You will be consulted. I hope they get this pain in his leg sorted. There must be a cause and they will find it.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 4th Dec 17, 2:38 PM
    • 4,891 Posts
    • 70,501 Thanks
    VJsmum
    The bramble in your eye sounds nasty VJsmum. If you start to feel any real pain I would go to A&E. You could of course pop into an optician's and let them look at it. You need to be careful with eyes. There is the possibility if infection. You will know it will either itch like mad or be in pain or both. It is probably just a scratch and will heal up quicker than the blood shot eye.

Be assured the hospital will have a case conference about your father and make sure care is in place before they discharge him. You will be consulted. I hope they get this pain in his leg sorted. There must be a cause and they will find it.
    Originally posted by nursemaggie
    thank you - yes, pardon the pun but i am 'keeping an eye' on it

Whilst i don't want dad to be in such pain, it has brought things to a head, I think so some good may well come of it.
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 4th Dec 17, 5:45 PM
    • 3,242 Posts
    • 38,755 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    NM, it was interesting and only took 30 minutes. I rarely get to do anything like this as I'm usually the wrong age.
    There are another 3 or 4 coming up but only open to 18 to 35 year olds, it's the same with surveys, I'm only suitable for them very occasionally.
    Still with my winter fuel payment and today's £50 it makes enough to cover Christmas this year.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • chickens11
    • By chickens11 4th Dec 17, 6:03 PM
    • 284 Posts
    • 2,666 Thanks
    chickens11
    Ivyleaf.......Thanks very much for the link that is much appreciated my dear , I hope you are well.....

Hard up Hester.......Yea I will always pop on to .this thread , ive been on MSE for years and its been the friendliest ever thread for me , always someone out there to help and offer advise to whoever needs it...........As im quite busy I do find it hard to be able to pop in daily , but I love it when I come on here and find all the usual people on here still posting away , such a friendly thread indeed.....I hope your all well and coping with the cold weather ok ...........Love you all girls........Thanks
    My motto is " one life live it ".....
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 4th Dec 17, 6:13 PM
    • 1,861 Posts
    • 23,888 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    I have only found age is getting a problem Hester since I became 71. You get turned down for a lot what ever the age. I was surprised to find from one of my sites I am in their top 100 survey takes. I only take about a quarter because of very narrow requirements. I got turned down for one today because I did not have an income of more than wait for it £250,000. Who the heck does surveys with that kind of income?

I think I would get paid for even more if I lied and only gave them the answers they want.

We had the phone call this afternoon. We have been turned down for the house. Ds was rather angry and blamed me. He is overtired because of upstairs. He was pinning his hopes on this too much. He liked the idea of being able to walk to work.

It was nice to have the peace and quiet this weekend. Upstairs went away for the weekend. They came back about 8.30 pm last night and the kids ran riot until nearly 11 pm and she spend over an hour hoovering the bedroom above DS between 10pm and 11 pm. I have never spent that long on a bedroom in my life even when I did not have a vacuum cleaner. Poor DS got 3 hour sleep.
    Last edited by nursemaggie; 04-12-2017 at 6:58 PM.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 4th Dec 17, 6:40 PM
    • 3,242 Posts
    • 38,755 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Such a shame NM, so sorry to hear about the house.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 4th Dec 17, 6:59 PM
    • 3,289 Posts
    • 52,410 Thanks
    silvasava
    Oh NM - so sorry to hear they have turned you down for the house. Really do hope something better comes along.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 4th Dec 17, 7:09 PM
    • 2,417 Posts
    • 34,134 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Sorry to hear that NM - fingers crossed the perfect place is waiting for you in the new year x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

DECEMBER GC - not a bloomin clue - opting out of December as itís my 50th and i think once a half century itís okay not to mind - back in the saddle January
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 4th Dec 17, 9:17 PM
    • 3,175 Posts
    • 39,929 Thanks
    monnagran
    nursemaggie, how rotten. Did they give you any reason or don't they have to? If anyone could do with something good happening, you could.
    I guess that in his disappointment your DS just wanted to explode at someone and you were the only one there.
    Obviously this wasn't the house for you but it's so hard when you have mentally moved in.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 4th Dec 17, 9:20 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 5,467 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Hi all
    Just swinging by to send hugs to the poorly, worried, struggling or downright disappointed ( NM).
    Hope tomorrow turns out to be a better and brighter day for all.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 4th Dec 17, 9:49 PM
    • 1,861 Posts
    • 23,888 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Your right monna I think he had moved in. He had certainly placed all the furniture in the house even in my room.

The so called reason was the landlord wanted someone with a stronger application. As the forms have no space to do anything but show your income he obviously thinks we could not pay the rent. I did think of putting a covering letter in but decided against it as I thought it might look like special pleading and put him off.

What you said about DS volunteering for Boxing day and New year you weren't quite right. H was thinking of having the extra money towards a bike. He has had a rethink because he has realised there will be no buses running at all and he will have to walk the entirety of both ways. That could mean 4 hours each way or he could pay out for a taxi £20 each way because they are holidays thus wiping his extra pay out.

To be honest I would still like to be nearer some shops and other amenities. I think we have to go for a much cheaper house. I have my eye on one but it is twice as far to work but it does have a nice conservatory. The one near all the shops that they would only let us look at when DS was at work, is still on the market and has come down in price. He could still get the local link from there is goes past every day.

DS said "I will have a look tomorrow, let me mourn the other one for tonight."
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 4th Dec 17, 9:52 PM
    • 1,027 Posts
    • 23,158 Thanks
    MMF007
    Oh NM, what a shame about the house. I was really rooting for you to get it.

VJsMum, glad your dad's care plan will progress now. Hope he is getting treatment as good as my dad's.

I am still at the hospital bedside all day but mum is so shattered I took her back to the hotel at 5pm. Dad is weaker and spent the morning asking why the docs couldn't just finish him off. His new consultant (they moved him out of HDU into a side room on respiratory ward) did a smashing job of explaining what was happening and what the medics are doing now (ie, only intervention for pain relief and to make sure he is not distressed). I pointed out that dad's hands were trembling and it turned out that he was on steroids for the lung inflammation. The trembling was distressing him so doc stopped the steroid immediately. Doc was very in tune with dad and said it made it much easier having spoken to us all at the same time, and we all clearly understood the situation.

Dad slept on and off all afternoon and was not anxious (morphine!), he cracked a couple of jokes and his face lit up when his favourite nurse appeared!
    He even had a quick retort when asked if his daughter in law could seak to him before it was too late - he said, 'yep, can she ring in about 12 months' time'. He should have been on the stage, shouldn't he?

Mum's snoring, bless her. I'm going to read a historical novel until I fall asleep.
    Last edited by MMF007; 04-12-2017 at 9:59 PM.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 5th Dec 17, 4:47 AM
    • 3,242 Posts
    • 38,755 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    So when I do sleep I have anxiety dreams so far I have forgotten how to drive, missed a bus and mislaid a child. I think I'll settle for being awake.

I need to book my car in to the garage to get the brakes checked and take CHS's hearing aid to be repaired, I also need to clean a boat, and CHS wonders what I do all day!

Hugs to VJsmum and MMF.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 5th Dec 17, 5:13 AM
    • 3,175 Posts
    • 39,929 Thanks
    monnagran
    Let him wonder Hester. It's good to keep him guessing.

I also had a strange dream last night. When I woke up my first thought was, "Where did THAT come from?" but for the life of me I can't remember what it was all about. Possibly the result of eating a cheese toastie too close to bedtime.

I had a phone call late last night to say that my electrical repair man had just called into his workshop to check on something and my oven door had been delivered, so he would be round to fit it this morning and to make sure that I had removed every shred of glass. What service!

Plans for today include paying a few bills, a bus ride and a happy afternoon prepping for tomorrow's great lunch.
    God likes me to make plans, it gives him a good laugh.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

I'm a feminist.
    I've been a female for a long time now.
    I'd be stupid not to be on my own side. (Maya Angelou)
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 5th Dec 17, 7:36 AM
    • 14,137 Posts
    • 132,160 Thanks
    mardatha
    Hester I had years of those dreams. Missed the bus, bus went wrong way, didnt have the fare so had to get off, left the bus stop to go into a shop to get change for the fare, came out and the bus stop had vanished. Got to silly in the end - dreams where I took a bicycle because the bus got lost and then the handlebars fell off and the bike fell apart. I have no idea what they were about but when I started taking steriods for the Add, they stopped dead.
    EDITED: I decided in the end that they meant I was going nowhere fast!
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 5th Dec 17, 7:53 AM
    • 4,891 Posts
    • 70,501 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Now the s0dding dishwasher has broken.

So far this last couple of months, the drains have been blocked, the central heating broke and now the dishwasher. DS has had some problems settling into Uni and now dad....

On my way dahn sarf now, to go and see dad this afternoon
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 5th Dec 17, 8:17 AM
    • 4,758 Posts
    • 20,753 Thanks
    Slinky
    Nursemaggie, sorry to hear about the house.

The other one, why don't you try contacting them again? If they've knocked the rent down they are having problems finding somebody to go in. No landlord wants an empty house at this time of year. It costs money keeping the heating on to stop it freezing up, and the council tax also needs paying.

Maybe if you try again the letting agents will be a bit more helpful?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,772Posts Today

7,373Users online

Martin's Twitter