Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,198Posts
    • 29,318Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - £555.59
Page 117
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 1st Dec 17, 1:27 PM
    • 3,259 Posts
    • 39,000 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Unfortunately he's at work and by the time he's home dgd will be here too.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 1st Dec 17, 3:15 PM
    • 3,207 Posts
    • 40,336 Thanks
    monnagran
    Have you thawed out yet Hester, lack of hot man not withstanding?

I still don't know what was supposed to happen on Friday. What actually did happen took me by surprise.. The oven door shattered.
    I've heard of it happening but never experienced it before. A bit unfortunate that this is the weekend of the great mince pie bake. I can see many trays of raw mincepies being whisked around the village into various foreign ovens.
    No chance of any repair before Tuesday or Wednesday and as it's going to cost in excess of £100 the Christmas budget is totally blown.

I know that this is minor in the great scheme of things but I am ashamed to admit to a few self pitying tears as I swept up shards of glass.
    An illegal bar of chocolate soon cured the blues.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 1st Dec 17, 3:23 PM
    • 5,001 Posts
    • 52,383 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Oh monna, that's awful I hope you weren't in the kitchen when it happened - it must have been quite shocking enough as it was
    I remember a glass globe-shaped ceiling light exploding in a flat we lived in years ago and it wasn't fun! No one hurt, but such a shock.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 1st Dec 17, 4:13 PM
    • 4,107 Posts
    • 33,913 Thanks
    Floss
    monna never shattered an oven door, but have shattered the stereo cupboard door by trying to walk through it coz I didn't see it...the cubes covered the floor and some were found under furniture 15 feet away

Hope you are ok - maybe you need a nip of whatever goes into the boozy mincemeat?
    • karcher
    • By karcher 1st Dec 17, 4:22 PM
    • 1,549 Posts
    • 13,068 Thanks
    karcher
    Aww Monna, what a pain.

I have actually experienced that. It's generally down to a flaw in the glass or the seal around the glass...just one of those things but it couldn't have happened at a worse time when you have pies to bake.

I say you deserve a box of chocs not just a bar
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 1st Dec 17, 4:23 PM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 24,046 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    monna what a fright! I would think you cried because of the shock and relief no one was hurt.

I gave those people a piece of my mind last night but it has made no difference. They said sorry and then the kids were running around before I got downstairs.

You would think they would realise what a racket it is as it will be effecting 8 other flats. The next staircase of tenants are already having a protest. They are not using their bins as a protest against the council dumping refugees on us all the time. I wonder where they are putting all their rubbish.

The kids are at a guess. a couple of weeks old, 15 months, 3 and a half, and 4. The 5th voice must be the mum as she only looks about 12.

Sorry to rant again. I wish I could go out and buy them hover shoes.
    Last edited by nursemaggie; 01-12-2017 at 4:38 PM.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 1st Dec 17, 4:36 PM
    • 2,423 Posts
    • 34,178 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Glad you are okay Monna why do these things happen when you actually need the item to work..... s*ds law....
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

DECEMBER GC - not a bloomin clue - opting out of December as itís my 50th and i think once a half century itís okay not to mind - back in the saddle January
    • elona
    • By elona 1st Dec 17, 6:29 PM
    • 11,321 Posts
    • 60,696 Thanks
    elona
    monna

Could you not claim on insurance? I am just glad you were not hurt.

Decided not to go out today as it is frosty and slippy outside. Baked a loaf but it did not rise so maybe yeast is old or water was too hot.

Stripped our bed which was a struggle as it is so big and put on nice fresh bed linen. Washing machine is on and dishwasher is loaded and I have cooked a cottage pie as middle dd is coming over for a bite to eat and staying till tomorrow to put up the tree etc. Unwrapped my new pjs which are an early present for me from me and just had a nice hot shower and shampoo.

Chicken is defrosting for lunch tomorrow as I have two dds here and need to agree on a recipe.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 1st Dec 17, 7:03 PM
    • 4,107 Posts
    • 33,913 Thanks
    Floss
    NM maybe you could ask the mother to come to your flat for a cup of tea, 30 minutes after you knock on their door...?
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 2nd Dec 17, 3:42 AM
    • 1,044 Posts
    • 23,429 Thanks
    MMF007
    NM - so glad to hear that the new house is within your grasp. What a complete pain about the noisy neighbours. You have my sympathy. It's so frustrating, and wearing.

VJsmum, hope your dad gets the care that is best for him.

We are still in Scotland, keeping a bedside vigil and keeping strong (apart from when a lovely nurse who was on her way home saw me and asked how I was doing - well you how that goes - "I'm fine", says I then *bursts into tears* ). She gave me a big hug and I dried the tears so I could drive back to the hotel fairly safely.

We were told that dad would be palliative care by yester morning and prob they would wind things down but he is still chatting inbetween very short rests and they are continuing oxygen at a very high level for now, and physio (and any pain relief but he is no more pain than he has been for years, which is not that much). He seems calm and he knows he is on borrowed time. He has rung his best friend to tell him how much fun they have had together. He is annoyed that he may not get to watch Strictly tonight! While he is still concious and compus mentis of course he is the one making the decisions (about his care, not about which tv prog he gets to watch).

DB has flown up again (he's done the journey from the south coast of england to the scottish highlands 3 times in a week, often with 5am starts).

Luckily we all have a slightly warped sense of humour and are teasing dad for adopting scotland so thoroughly - he has requested the following, over the last few days -
    Porridge, shortbread, a scotch pie, whisky, and scotch broth
    He has taken a mouthful of each and refused anymore .
    Oooh, I forgot, he also asked for a Tunnocks teacake, which, of course, DB went and bought for him. Dad managed to get the marshmallow all over his oxygen tubes and we spent a while wiping the sticky mess up! He has also been causing havoc with the ECG electrodes because he fidgets when he's talking so his alarms are going off for no real reason sometimes (funny that we have stop panicking now and just give him a little ticking off).

So, thank you all, you are soooo lovely. Please don't fret about us, we'll be OK, one way or another.

I shall relay Monnas thought for the day about the apple, dad will laugh at that.
    Last edited by MMF007; 02-12-2017 at 3:44 AM.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 2nd Dec 17, 3:45 AM
    • 1,549 Posts
    • 13,068 Thanks
    karcher
    (((hugs))) MMF007

I feel for you, I really do.

Take care xx
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 2nd Dec 17, 4:24 AM
    • 1,044 Posts
    • 23,429 Thanks
    MMF007
    Thanks Karcher. I know lots of folk have gone through the same or worse. We are strong and some how we can still find nuggets of humour.
    I hope no-one will be horrified by our reaction to the following incident - dad was wriggling about a bit yester, while telling an amusing tale. I asked him if his catheter was bothering him. 'No', he said, 'I'm just re organising my nethers'. We all cracked up laughing, icluding dad, when my brother said he didn't think the book of famous last words was quite ready for that as a quote.
    Yep, it's gallows humour but if you don't laugh you'd cry.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 2nd Dec 17, 6:44 AM
    • 3,591 Posts
    • 41,856 Thanks
    camelot1001
    My thoughts are with you MMF. When the time comes you can hold on to those precious moments you have shared.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 2nd Dec 17, 9:16 AM
    • 3,294 Posts
    • 52,489 Thanks
    silvasava
    MMF - huge hugs for you and your family. Your dad sounds such a character and a laugh is so good for you all.
    My very good friend's father had to have an enema and told her he didn't like it. When she asked if it was painful he said no - it stirred his elementals! That phrase has been used between us now for over 20 years to describe all sorts of situations.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 2nd Dec 17, 1:22 PM
    • 3,207 Posts
    • 40,336 Thanks
    monnagran
    MMF laugh as much as you can love. The most wonderful thing in the world must be to die with a smile on your face, or in your heart.

Life without an oven is strange. It proves how much we take things for granted. I went to the village shop this morning and purchased a frozen chicken dinner for one. That will be my Sunday roast, duly nuked. The rest of my food has to be boiled, nuked, in a sandwich or on toast. I do have salad but its a bit chilly to make that an attractive prospect.

Floss, you were right about the charger, it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. As I only seem to have one charger that I use for tablet, phone and kindle, I'd better find a replacement pretty quickly. Now, where do I find one? I guess it would have to be a shop that sells computery things. This means a trip to the metropolis, a 3 hour round trip on the bus. I'll see if I can bribe DIL to get me one, she works near the shops.

I have one more batch of mincemeat to make and then tomorrow I will spend making the mincepies for other people to bake. All part of life's rich pattern.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY.

Life is not about how fast you run or how high you climb, but how well you bounce. (Tigger)
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 2nd Dec 17, 2:05 PM
    • 26,106 Posts
    • 105,819 Thanks
    candygirl
    MONNA Amazon do all sorts of chargers, with soeedy delivery 😁
    MMF your Dad sounds like such a lovely, funny bloke.I use the word nethers a lot too lol 😊
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 2nd Dec 17, 4:24 PM
    • 3,207 Posts
    • 40,336 Thanks
    monnagran
    MONNA Amazon do all sorts of chargers, with soeedy delivery 😁
    MMF your Dad sounds like such a lovely, funny bloke.I use the word nethers a lot too lol 😊
    Originally posted by candygirl
    Now, why didn't I think of that? Charger duly ordered. Thanks.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 2nd Dec 17, 4:35 PM
    • 2,423 Posts
    • 34,178 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Monna DS has offered you a Meals on wheels service for a nominal charge, get in there whilst he is still enthusiastic about ferrying people and things around

MMF thinking of you and yours, you sound like a wonderfully close and loving family x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

DECEMBER GC - not a bloomin clue - opting out of December as itís my 50th and i think once a half century itís okay not to mind - back in the saddle January
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 2nd Dec 17, 4:54 PM
    • 5,001 Posts
    • 52,383 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    (((HUGS))) MMF. Your Dad sounds lovely. Although it will be very sad to lose him, after a time you'll find you can think of him with a smile, and remember the things that made him lovely.

burtha Thinking of you! I hope you and the children are as ok as possible xx

FairyPrincessk
    In case you're managing to read occasionally, hang in there, it's nearly the end of term!

nursemaggie Thoughts are with you - I hope the new house goes through as soon as possible xx
    • karcher
    • By karcher 2nd Dec 17, 9:58 PM
    • 1,549 Posts
    • 13,068 Thanks
    karcher
    Brrr it's/I'm cold

Hope you are all having a warm and peaceful evening x

Thinking of MMF and Burtha..please just let us know you are ok burtha x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

469Posts Today

3,159Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin