Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,193Posts
    • 29,284Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - £585.59
Page 116
    • Floss
    • By Floss 30th Nov 17, 2:11 PM
    • 4,090 Posts
    • 33,688 Thanks
    Floss
    Definitely, as are boogered, wonky, doo-lally and stu$$ed
    • karcher
    • By karcher 30th Nov 17, 3:47 PM
    • 1,528 Posts
    • 12,887 Thanks
    karcher
    MMF007 Thinking of you, ((hugs)) to you and your family xx
    • chickens11
    • By chickens11 30th Nov 17, 7:31 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 2,678 Thanks
    chickens11
    Hi girls , Hope your all doing very well , and its not too cold for you all today ...Its been bitter feeling today here in Suffolk....Snow , wind , rain , and no sun .......Im looking for a thread that I use to look at very often , but for some reason I cant find it ........Im sure it was on the Heating thread , titled " Have you got your heating on " , or something very similar , do that ring a bell to any of you please.................Ive got my lovely open fire blazing away and im feeling very cosy indeed , but as I suffer SAD so badly and im tired most of the time im going to bed very soon and watch tv in there .....At least im resting my bones haha.....Thank you all....
    My motto is " one life live it ".....
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 30th Nov 17, 7:45 PM
    • 3,178 Posts
    • 39,964 Thanks
    monnagran
    Dear Floss, Whatever iffy, boogered, doolally or wonky spell you cast, it worked. I have just returned and all is well. Fully charged. I think that taming a computer is much like training a puppy or domesticating a child, when they misbehave, ignore them.

A good productive day today, occasioned by the appalling realisation that it is December the first tomorrow and I will be ready for Christmas by March 16th at the earliest. Sheer terror drove me onwards.

It is cccccold. I have retired to bed banked round by hot patches and wearing a fleecy dressing gown and fluffy bedsocks, and an alluring picture I am too. But warm. I recorded an old film to watch and hope to stay awake until the end.

MMF has been on my mind all day. How wonderful it is that when one of our number is suffering we all close ranks to protect them. I've never experienced this in any other walk of life. You really are a special group of people.

I hope all you sleepless ones manage to drift off happily tonight. It's a bit noisy here just now. It's high tide and the wind is letting us all know about it.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 30th Nov 17, 7:55 PM
    • 4,090 Posts
    • 33,688 Thanks
    Floss
    Monna you obviously put it on the naughty step Keep cosy with your warm patches

MMF hope your dad is comfy & pain-free

Well my Christmas break has started - I start a new permanent part-time job on 10th January but my contract has just ended so i have all of December to make, bake and decorate cakes
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 30th Nov 17, 9:09 PM
    • 1,864 Posts
    • 23,917 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Oh how nice Floss I am sure monna would love to join you if only someone would do all the things she needs to do before Christmas.

I think it is cold everywhere, DS said it was -1 this morning when he went to work. I don't think it has been above freezing all day. He says it is going to last all of December.

I have my little oil filled radiator on and a big warm sweater I knitted. We will be alright for heating if we get this house we want. It has gas central heating a gas fire and a wood burning stove.

We look like we will get it despite DS having no credit history. The people who live there now are buying so the date for moving has slipped back to the end of January. They are in a queue. I hope it gets no later. The people upstairs are not turning the noise down. I have been up and complained and she said sorry and they carried on as usual . I still cannot get hold of anyone from the anti social unit at the Housing association. They are still running around. The oldest child looks about 4 so she has her hands full. It is high time they were in bed, after all they wake me at around 5 am.

Still thinking of MMF, VJ'smum and Karcher I was getting a long list of people to pray for so I added you all it makes it easier.

Nice to see you again Sheilah The thread you want is Have You got Your Heating on Yet I think and I am sure it was on the Old Style board. Sorry I can't do links.

Keep warm everyone.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 30th Nov 17, 9:20 PM
    • 3,290 Posts
    • 52,431 Thanks
    silvasava
    Evening all - Monna's bitter wind has reached me too! Last yoga session tonight before the New Year. It was chilly last week and our instructor mentioned it to the caretaker. He said we'd be OK this week as the heating was on during the day. Yes it was but set to 10deg!!! We started the session in fleeces, scarves & socks.
    Hope MMF and family are OK along with Burtha, Karcher & VJ's mum.
    Monna - that's what mates do - we may extract the Michael from each other on occasions but when the chips are down we close ranks to protect our own and that's the way it should be.
    Stay warm tonight everyone x
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • karcher
    • By karcher 30th Nov 17, 10:01 PM
    • 1,528 Posts
    • 12,887 Thanks
    karcher
    I was just thinking: I doubt any of you realise just how important this thread, and all who frequent it, are to me and I'm sure others feel the same too.

Sweet dreams and a peaceful, restful night to you all.

xxx
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 30th Nov 17, 11:11 PM
    • 3,290 Posts
    • 52,431 Thanks
    silvasava
    Karcher - I know you have trouble sleeping but perhaps just maybe some light music or a book or both and just relax so your body is resting even if you can't sleep. Do hope you manage a few hours tonight.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 30th Nov 17, 11:20 PM
    • 4,991 Posts
    • 52,305 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    I thoroughly agree, karcher xx

Sheila nice to see you. Is this the thread you're looking for [hopes link will work]

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=276410

Yay, it worked!
    • karcher
    • By karcher 1st Dec 17, 4:32 AM
    • 1,528 Posts
    • 12,887 Thanks
    karcher
    NM I hope you manage to get something done about the noise from upstairs and fingers crossed you can move by the end of January.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 1st Dec 17, 6:56 AM
    • 3,178 Posts
    • 39,964 Thanks
    monnagran
    Morning all.
    Karcher, I can endorse your feelings about this thread. I have experienced the almost magical effect of having this disparate group of people, none of whom I would recognise if I fell over them, who united to pick me up when I was at the lowest point of my life. The love, support and concern, not to mention the devastating humour, that surrounded me was unbelievable. I don't think I will ever change my signature, it was chosen as a tribute to all on the fencers thread. It is a very special place.

I started making mincemeat yesterday. I do the Delia recipe for the church mincepies, (6 dozen required by Wednesday for Lunch Club's Christmas Meal) and that is almost ready. The boozy, brandy laden mincemeat for home, friends and neighbours will come later. It does help to make me feel a little more Christmassy.

ETA. Just realised that the last half of my post has been cut off. Not writing it all again so I will just add ..........

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

An apple a day will keep ANYONE away if thrown hard enough.
    Last edited by monnagran; 01-12-2017 at 7:27 AM.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 1st Dec 17, 7:45 AM
    • 2,417 Posts
    • 34,136 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Karcher Well said - this thread shows that the majority of people are kind, supportive, loving and caring - long may they continue in a world that is going astray x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

DECEMBER GC - not a bloomin clue - opting out of December as itís my 50th and i think once a half century itís okay not to mind - back in the saddle January
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 1st Dec 17, 8:47 AM
    • 3,242 Posts
    • 38,766 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    The thread is important to me too, it's so friendly and when someone pops back on the thread as Sheila has, it's like an old friend dropping by unexpectedly.
    I've been awake since 4:30 and I have a DGD staying tonight so I won't get much sleep tonight either, Saturday I'm looking after my 3 year old twin DGC's for the afternoon.
    My least favourite job today, I need to fill the water tank up, it takes about 45 minutes as the water pressure is so low, 45 minutes stood on the jetty is no joke, brrr.
    the ducks are quacking for their breakfast so I'll go and feed them and pop back later for another chat.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 1st Dec 17, 10:12 AM
    • 2,417 Posts
    • 34,136 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Hester your new lifestyle sounds lovely - nothing that a thermal vest couldnít cure

Well, Youngest has purchased a car, a lovely little fiesta, for his Xmas prezzie we have paid for it to be serviced and for the Cam belt to be changed as it hasnít been done and for an 04 plate we didnít want it going ĎBangí - blimey that was a tad more expensive than we expected but at least he will be mechanically safe.

His first maiden voyage this morning, as I made him wait a day to save a months road tax - I am more nervous than him

Off to clear out the woodburner before resetting it - chilly and bright here

DECEMBER GC - not a bloomin clue - opting out of December as itís my 50th and i think once a half century itís okay not to mind - back in the saddle January
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 1st Dec 17, 10:54 AM
    • 3,178 Posts
    • 39,964 Thanks
    monnagran
    Oh Islandmaid, it's terrifying isn't it, when the baby you were steering around in a pram yesterday suddenly takes control of the wheels himself. I remember it well.

I hope MMF is OK, I can't stop thinking about her. burtha has been very quiet too and I sense that Pollyanna isn't her usual self. This is a difficult season on many counts and there are not many of us who can go through it without a pang of regret, a painful memory or mourning happy times now lost.

One foot in front of the other and b r e a t h e .

I have this awful feeling that something is supposed to happen today. I seem to recall saying , "Oh Friday will be fine. I'm not doing anything else on Friday."
    However, what ever it was is lost in the chaos of my mind. Think I'd better put on some respectable clothes in case someone arrives on the doorstep or rings up to ask where I am.
    Of course it may have been last week!

What's that saying? "I am suffering amnesia and deja vue at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before."
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 1st Dec 17, 10:55 AM
    • 4,894 Posts
    • 70,526 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Thanks all - we trundle on. My sister seems to have picked up the ball at the moment - not the day to day stuff but sorting out dad's pain relief. She is training to be a nurse (she is 43 but has always wanted to do it) and so knows what she's talking about more than any of us (she is a couple of years in) and isn't overwhelmed by the medical profession and their lingo. I have bought him a TENS machine to see if that will take some of the edge off. I need to send it down - I know they get mixed reviews, but it wasn't expensive and worth a try.

The 'falls' team are going in any time now (Occupational Therapy and Physios - all his problems began after a fall) and I think they are going to review whether he needs more permanent care. sister is going to be there when they go in.. I have suggested respite for a while (to Sister, not dad) and she thinks that's a good solution as we can judge whether residential care is the way forward for him.

I am doing a weekend of volunteering this weekend, hedgelaying for a preserved railway that we are involved with. Mind, it's a bit parky out there, but a couple of days in the fresh air and sunshine will do me the world of good. Gonna make a batch of mince pies for our tea breaks.. the difficulty will be keeping OH off them until then..
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 1st Dec 17, 11:03 AM
    • 3,242 Posts
    • 38,766 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Island Maid, I'm wearing a thermal vest, 2 tee shirts a smock and a hoodie along with thermal longjohns under my leggings and hand knitted socks!
    I was stood on the jetty for almost 2 hours as the water pressure is dire today, the tank isn't full but it's fuller but I came in because I was ffffffreezing.
    I did feed the swan whilst I was out there as he kept hissing at me to give me a hint.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 1st Dec 17, 11:08 AM
    • 4,991 Posts
    • 52,305 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Morning all.
    Karcher, I can endorse your feelings about this thread. I have experienced the almost magical effect of having this disparate group of people, none of whom I would recognise if I fell over them, who united to pick me up when I was at the lowest point of my life. The love, support and concern, not to mention the devastating humour, that surrounded me was unbelievable. I don't think I will ever change my signature, it was chosen as a tribute to all on the fencers thread. It is a very special place.

I started making mincemeat yesterday. I do the Delia recipe for the church mincepies, (6 dozen required by Wednesday for Lunch Club's Christmas Meal) and that is almost ready. The boozy, brandy laden mincemeat for home, friends and neighbours will come later. It does help to make me feel a little more Christmassy.

ETA. Just realised that the last half of my post has been cut off. Not writing it all again so I will just add ..........

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

An apple a day will keep ANYONE away if thrown hard enough.
    Originally posted by monnagran
    Oh thank you monnagran, that made me and OH laugh out loud

HUGS to you all on this morning which we were assured would be crisp and frosty here but instead is cold, damp and miz.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 1st Dec 17, 11:15 AM
    • 2,417 Posts
    • 34,136 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Island Maid, I'm wearing a thermal vest, 2 tee shirts a smock and a hoodie along with thermal longjohns under my leggings and hand knitted socks!
    I was stood on the jetty for almost 2 hours as the water pressure is dire today, the tank isn't full but it's fuller but I came in because I was ffffffreezing.
    I did feed the swan whilst I was out there as he kept hissing at me to give me a hint.
    Originally posted by Hard Up Hester
    You need a good rub down with a hot man

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

225Posts Today

1,522Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin