Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,198Posts
    • 29,319Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - £555.59
Page 114
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 28th Nov 17, 1:47 PM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 15,731 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Thanks ivyleaf sometime before midday tomorrow it should be over and done one way or another .

polly x
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 28th Nov 17, 10:09 PM
    • 5,005 Posts
    • 52,439 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Softstuff Thinking of you, in case you're managing to read along occasionally xx
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 28th Nov 17, 10:28 PM
    • 3,212 Posts
    • 40,412 Thanks
    monnagran
    Yes, I miss Softstuff too. She was often the only one around when I fancied a chat in the middle of the night.
    She was having computer problems and could only post here when she could snaffle her OH's laptop for a few minutes.

I'm all out of sync now. I decided to watch TV tonight from the warmth and comfort of my bed, so retired with my 'warm patch' (Pickle's name for my wheat bags) at about 7 o'clock. So warm and comfy was I that I went to sleep. Just woken up. An interesting night lies ahead.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 29th Nov 17, 3:57 AM
    • 1,562 Posts
    • 13,170 Thanks
    karcher
    Yes, I miss Softstuff too. She was often the only one around when I fancied a chat in the middle of the night.
    Originally posted by monnagran

I'm here in the middle of the night... again.. I'll have to chat to myself though as everyone else is hopefully fast asleep
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 29th Nov 17, 6:14 AM
    • 14,180 Posts
    • 132,468 Thanks
    mardatha
    I was up since 3am karcher but was on FB. Off to make more tea now.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 29th Nov 17, 6:34 AM
    • 2,425 Posts
    • 34,193 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Another night owl here - awake till 3 am, the OH woke me at 5:30 - off to work now
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

DECEMBER GC - not a bloomin clue - opting out of December as itís my 50th and i think once a half century itís okay not to mind - back in the saddle January
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 29th Nov 17, 6:50 AM
    • 3,212 Posts
    • 40,412 Thanks
    monnagran
    Ah well, you three, I will obviously have to give classes in how to live a disorganised life and sleep at odd times and against all expectations. I thought I was in for a sleepless night after sleeping all evening, so I equipped myself with a good book, a tough cryptic crossword and charged up the tablet. I went straight off to sleep and woke up just before 6 this morning.
    It's the result of a clear conscience and living a virtuous life. Take note!

Millie has just joined me in bed bearing a very muddy Jumbone. Giving Millie a Jumbone is the equivalent of sticking the kids in front of the TV instead of playing with them. After carrying it around in her mouth for most of the day, looking for all the world like Winston Churchill with his cigar, she took it out into the garden and buried it. She must have rescued it when I let her out this morning. Having shrieked and run the offending bone under the bathroom tap I am now sharing a bed with a very aggrieved dog, who is staring at me reproachfully, and a de-muddied bone.

It's a glamorous life I lead.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Mama read so much about the dangers of drinking alcohol and eating chocolate that she immediately gave up reading.
    Last edited by monnagran; 29-11-2017 at 7:08 AM.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 29th Nov 17, 6:55 AM
    • 14,180 Posts
    • 132,468 Thanks
    mardatha
    It's the result of a clear conscience and living a virtuous life. Take note!
    Hmmmmm
    • karcher
    • By karcher 29th Nov 17, 7:00 AM
    • 1,562 Posts
    • 13,170 Thanks
    karcher
    I'm just completely and utterly fed up of not sleeping now...I'm exhausted

I wake between 3.30 and 4.30am every bloody night and I'm so fed up of being tired all the time ...It makes life so much harder to cope with

Sorry for the rant, weeks/months of only 3 or 4 hours sleep a night does make one a tad grumpy
    • karcher
    • By karcher 29th Nov 17, 7:11 AM
    • 1,562 Posts
    • 13,170 Thanks
    karcher
    THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Mama read so much about the dangers of drinking alcohol and eating chocolate that she immediately gave up reading.

Love it
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 29th Nov 17, 7:18 AM
    • 3,212 Posts
    • 40,412 Thanks
    monnagran
    Listen to me mad arthur. What do you mean by Hmmmmmm?

I'll get you behind the bicycle shed after school.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 29th Nov 17, 7:26 AM
    • 3,212 Posts
    • 40,412 Thanks
    monnagran
    karcher, don't worry about not sleeping. Just make yourself warm and comfortable and enjoy being lazy. On days when you don't have to leave for work at some ridiculous hour, just go back to bed.

I could always get my boys to sleep when they were young by promising them 10p if they could stay awake for half an hour. Apparently the effort of trying to stay awake tired them out. They used to beg me not to say it!
    • karcher
    • By karcher 29th Nov 17, 7:39 AM
    • 1,562 Posts
    • 13,170 Thanks
    karcher
    karcher, don't worry about not sleeping. Just make yourself warm and comfortable and enjoy being lazy. On days when you don't have to leave for work at some ridiculous hour, just go back to bed.

I could always get my boys to sleep when they were young by promising them 10p if they could stay awake for half an hour. Apparently the effort of trying to stay awake tired them out. They used to beg me not to say it!
    I'm afraid you'd be down quite a few 10p's if you tried that on me
    • elona
    • By elona 29th Nov 17, 10:09 AM
    • 11,325 Posts
    • 60,797 Thanks
    elona
    karcher

Have you tried a few drops of lavender on the pillow? I used to wake up around three as well but found if I went to the loo, had a small drink of water and read a few pages of a book I would be able to nod off again.

mardatha

I sent you a reply but somehow managed to put it in the middle of your message

monna

Have you polished your halo?
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 29th Nov 17, 10:57 AM
    • 12,265 Posts
    • 216,382 Thanks
    greenbee
    Karcher - I only sleep around 4 hours a night, and have done for the last couple of years. You're right. It's exhausting. My most recent personal best was 35 minutes on Sunday night...

I've done a lot of work to improve things, and when I stick to it, I can get up to 5 hours - planning for being in bed by 10.30 as I have to be up at 6.30; no electronic equipment at all in the bedroom - phones/ipad/laptop stay outside the door; reading in bed before I go to sleep; keeping the bedroom cool but the bed warm (hot water bottles and bed socks as my feet were getting cold); bath with a book around 9ish if I can get things done on time followed by teeth-cleaning/cleanse/moisturise/foot cream helps in terms of a routine. If I wake up in the middle of the night I read. If I wake up early I get up. That way I'm not thinking about how I can't sleep.

I find that if I exercise regularly and eat early I sleep a lot better than when my meals and exercise are erratic.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 29th Nov 17, 12:05 PM
    • 4,911 Posts
    • 70,757 Thanks
    VJsmum
    karcher

Have you tried a few drops of lavender on the pillow? I used to wake up around three as well but found if I went to the loo, had a small drink of water and read a few pages of a book I would be able to nod off again.

mardatha

I sent you a reply but somehow managed to put it in the middle of your message

monna

Have you polished your halo?
    Originally posted by elona
    My DD works in Lu$h and swears that their sleepy body lotions and bathbombs (before bed) and there's a spray thingy too, work a treat. I don't have trouble sleeping, so I can't vouch for it.

My sleep patterns improved drastically when i changed my diet removing most carbs and sugar and all ready made food.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • maryb
    • By maryb 29th Nov 17, 1:42 PM
    • 3,457 Posts
    • 41,171 Thanks
    maryb
    I always used to sleep like a log but now I'm in my 60s I find I wake up in the small hours. Some nights I look at the bedside clock and count the 'interesting' number combinations 12.34, 2.22, 2.52 (looks like a Greek key pattern - so does 5.25) 3.33 Etc. Usually I fall asleep at about 5 and we wake up at 6.30 so I feel wiped out. Not much seems to help - well apart from DH not snoring but that doesn't happen much. Earplugs are a part of my life.
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 29th Nov 17, 4:28 PM
    • 14,180 Posts
    • 132,468 Thanks
    mardatha
    I put up with it for 3-4 nights then if desperate I take Phenergan.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 29th Nov 17, 5:21 PM
    • 1,875 Posts
    • 24,064 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    I take tablets for my trigeminal neuralgia which are supposed to make me sleepy, they don't. My cancer medication manages to keep me awake for four nights in a row and then I sleep for about 16 hours to catch up. Then the cycle starts again. I used to stay up but DS tells me off if I am up when he gets up for work.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 29th Nov 17, 5:25 PM
    • 1,875 Posts
    • 24,064 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Oh and if I keep DS up until 7.30 pm he falls asleep on me. It's just like when he was a baby and first sat in high chair, he would go to sleep with his head in his dinner.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,677Posts Today

7,134Users online

Martin's Twitter