Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Melhindley
    • By Melhindley 18th Jul 17, 7:34 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Melhindley
    Has anyone claimed compensation from HMRC for an error?
    • 18th Jul 17, 7:34 PM
    Has anyone claimed compensation from HMRC for an error? 18th Jul 17 at 7:34 PM
    After 3 weeks and hours of phone calls to try and find missed tax credits payments we now have an answer and it's an HMRC error! They wrongly changed my bank details on my account so payments went missing! They managed to pay into an old closed account and even make up a new and non existent sort code! How?! I'm furious! I've been advised to seek compensation for financial hardship (as missing payments will be spread out over weekly entitlement at a few quid extra per week! Not exactly helpful! It's caused sever stress and anxiety to me and my children! My mum has leant money where she could and my bills and rent payments bounced! Surely this isn't right to treat families like this?!
Page 1
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 18th Jul 17, 7:39 PM
    • 1,344 Posts
    • 1,195 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 18th Jul 17, 7:39 PM
    • 18th Jul 17, 7:39 PM
    After 3 weeks and hours of phone calls to try and find missed tax credits payments we now have an answer and it's an HMRC error! They wrongly changed my bank details on my account so payments went missing! They managed to pay into an old closed account and even make up a new and non existent sort code! How?! I'm furious! I've been advised to seek compensation for financial hardship (as missing payments will be spread out over weekly entitlement at a few quid extra per week! Not exactly helpful! It's caused sever stress and anxiety to me and my children! My mum has leant money where she could and my bills and rent payments bounced! Surely this isn't right to treat families like this?!
    Originally posted by Melhindley
    You could try but i doubt it very much if you'd win. When payments are missed for what ever reason then they're always added on to the existing claiming. It happens to everyone, as already stated in previous posts.
    • Melhindley
    • By Melhindley 18th Jul 17, 8:11 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Melhindley
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:11 PM
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:11 PM
    I still think they should reimburse for the cost of what they've caused. All the time and cost of phone calls, the hardship they've caused a family meaning they have no money for 2 weeks, the stress and worry about when it will all be sorted and payments actually sent to where they should be. I have to try
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 18th Jul 17, 8:42 PM
    • 4,526 Posts
    • 2,843 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:42 PM
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:42 PM
    Have you made a formal complaint as already suggested?
    • tomtom256
    • By tomtom256 18th Jul 17, 8:45 PM
    • 853 Posts
    • 1,580 Thanks
    tomtom256
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:45 PM
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:45 PM
    I still think they should reimburse for the cost of what they've caused. All the time and cost of phone calls, the hardship they've caused a family meaning they have no money for 2 weeks, the stress and worry about when it will all be sorted and payments actually sent to where they should be. I have to try
    What you had no other money than tax credits!

What cost have they actually caused?
    • Melhindley
    • By Melhindley 18th Jul 17, 9:38 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Melhindley
    • 18th Jul 17, 9:38 PM
    • 18th Jul 17, 9:38 PM
    I've been in contact via email with complaints dep. but no help at all! Yes we have been without! My partner lost his job a couple of weeks beforehand so it's been tight as it is. We are relying on CTC and CHB that's it! So without CTC we've had £61 a week!
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 18th Jul 17, 9:47 PM
    • 1,370 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 18th Jul 17, 9:47 PM
    • 18th Jul 17, 9:47 PM
    Can your partner claim JSA?
    • Melhindley
    • By Melhindley 18th Jul 17, 9:49 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Melhindley
    • 18th Jul 17, 9:49 PM
    • 18th Jul 17, 9:49 PM
    He's applied online waiting for appointment
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 19th Jul 17, 6:07 AM
    • 4,526 Posts
    • 2,843 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 19th Jul 17, 6:07 AM
    • 19th Jul 17, 6:07 AM
    I wasn't aware they'd started communicating via email for tax credits. Interesting to know.
    • jessex1990
    • By jessex1990 21st Jul 17, 8:00 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    jessex1990
    I doubt it, apparently my taxes was being worked on with a laptop left on a train according to a letter they sent me 2 years after they were aware it had happened and I got nothing despite the obvious problem of potential identity theft etc...

If they weren't going to give compensation for that kind of negligence then someone typing something in the computer wrong would be seen as nothing.
    Last edited by jessex1990; 21-07-2017 at 8:03 PM.
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 21st Jul 17, 8:23 PM
    • 8,887 Posts
    • 11,741 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    ...........the hardship they've caused a family meaning they have no money for 2 weeks, .............
    You said earlier you had children: So Child benefit & all other benefits stopped earlier? Wow!
    • Syephenharryb
    • By Syephenharryb 26th Jul 17, 10:42 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Syephenharryb
    ERP credit from hmrc (after complaint regarding tax credit)
    I received an ERP payments from hmrc (small payment nowhere near what im owed) for an error on their part and compensation for a huge underpayment and various letter and phonecall costs. I have no idea what this erp credit is. But just over 2 week ago i send in a long complaint demanding they fix their mistakes and compensation me and payment me what im owed or ill take it furtber. They received and signed for the letter and now iv an hmrc erp credit. Tho no communication from them. Dont know if they are related. Can anytine help?
    • Mersey
    • By Mersey 26th Jul 17, 11:06 AM
    • 1,518 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    Mersey

Yes, absolutely.

They have to compensate you for the maladministration itself, plus any consequential losses.

I complained and received £50.

You can do so online.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
    • Nope123
    • By Nope123 6th Sep 17, 11:51 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Nope123
    I received £50 today with the same reference after writing in about an issue I had. I only asked for written confirmation that a problem was resolved as I had been given incorrect information over the phone (I'm a civil servant and do the same job for another arm of government therefore knew I was being lied to - who knows why, to get me off the phone late in the evening most probably. Anyway I challenged the agent on their behaviour and they put the phone down and still didn't sort the issue as I was receiving letters after weeks.)

I complained online expecting a generic response but also a letter confirming that the other letters shouldn't have been sent to me - but instead I have no reply or acknowledgement and a random £50 I didn't ask for. I'm not going to look a gifthorse in the mouth but I'd rather have the apology and confirmation that I asked for. It will probably turn up in the post in a couple of weeks?
    • Mersey
    • By Mersey 6th Sep 17, 1:14 PM
    • 1,518 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    Mersey
    Yes, I also received the £50 before I received the apology. In fact I received a further letter confirming the £50 payment from a different office as well.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
    • micky2phones
    • By micky2phones 6th Sep 17, 10:14 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 234 Thanks
    micky2phones
    Hi,
    50 pound for me too
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

268Posts Today

1,329Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin