Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sheila50
    • By sheila50 18th Jul 17, 6:46 PM
    • 29Posts
    • 18Thanks
    sheila50
    Warning if you use contactless payments
    • 18th Jul 17, 6:46 PM
    Warning if you use contactless payments 18th Jul 17 at 6:46 PM
    WARNING:
    This rise in contactless payments worries me:

Last weeks i purchased some shopping at Tesco' of just under £30, I tried to pay by putting my card in the card slot of the machine ,when the shop assistant informed me i had already paid by contactless. I explained that i did not have a contactless card so how was that possible. He was not interested in what i was saying just kept saying you have paid. After asking to speak to the manager, who did not understand my complaint and was equally dismissive (you paid what is the problem attitude) . I checked my receipt. It showed a different card number (last 4 numbers) . It turned out that the previous customer paid for my groceries with their contactless card. There was no way for me to reimburse that customer and Tesco' manager did not know how it had happened or what to do either.

I left my phone number with them so i could reimburse the customer should they come back to complain.

How could this have happened?

CHECK YOUR BANK STATEMENTS IF YOU USE CONTACTLESS PAYMENT you could be paying for someone else's purchases and you may have paid for mine
    Last edited by sheila50; 18-07-2017 at 6:52 PM.
Page 2
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 22nd Jul 17, 9:01 AM
    • 3,949 Posts
    • 4,289 Thanks
    robatwork
    Tin hatted nonsense.

For future googlers - this didn't happen.
    • firefox1956
    • By firefox1956 22nd Jul 17, 9:22 AM
    • 1,274 Posts
    • 722 Thanks
    firefox1956
    Tin hatted nonsense.

Originally posted by robatwork
    Agreed..............
    • JReacher1
    • By JReacher1 22nd Jul 17, 10:45 AM
    • 2,615 Posts
    • 3,600 Thanks
    JReacher1
    I find Apple Pay is better than contactless. Always goes off your available balance and you have an electronic receipt automatically available on your phone.
    • basill
    • By basill 22nd Jul 17, 11:08 AM
    • 1,156 Posts
    • 553 Thanks
    basill
    I find Apple Pay is better than contactless. Always goes off your available balance and you have an electronic receipt automatically available on your phone.
    Originally posted by JReacher1
    Apple and Android pay also need the phone to be unlocked or authorised by fingerprint so you do not need to worry about accidental payments.

I notice Apple have removed the £30 limit and hope Google follow suit soon.

B
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 22nd Jul 17, 4:14 PM
    • 3,251 Posts
    • 4,736 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    Apple and Android pay also need the phone to be unlocked or authorised by fingerprint so you do not need to worry about accidental payments.

I notice Apple have removed the £30 limit and hope Google follow suit soon.

B
    Originally posted by basill

Android Pay allows you to make payments up to £100 as well, but anything above the £30 limit will require you to enter your pattern, PIN or fingerprint.
    http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/everything-you-need-to-know-about-android-pay-in-the-uk-1321615
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 22nd Jul 17, 4:14 PM
    • 3,251 Posts
    • 4,736 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    Originally posted by JReacher1
    Exactly the same as Android Pay
    • molerat
    • By molerat 22nd Jul 17, 5:10 PM
    • 17,103 Posts
    • 11,254 Thanks
    molerat
    Used contactless at Aldi at 16:30 this afternoon. Shows up on my online banking now. Never checked how soon after it does show.
    Originally posted by RichardD1970
    Used contactless in Aldi yesterday afternoon and not showing yet. £15 is often the magic number to trigger an auth.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • mickeymouse303
    • By mickeymouse303 26th Jul 17, 10:53 AM
    • 168 Posts
    • 859 Thanks
    mickeymouse303
    I've never even thought about anything like this happening. I've not noticed this type of problem with myself using contactless but will definitely be more aware from now on.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 27th Jul 17, 8:51 AM
    • 3,949 Posts
    • 4,289 Thanks
    robatwork
    I've never even thought about anything like this happening. I've not noticed this type of problem with myself using contactless but will definitely be more aware from now on.
    Originally posted by mickeymouse303
    Don't be too afraid - the OP has never been back to explain this non-event.
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 31st Jul 17, 4:39 PM
    • 1,445 Posts
    • 864 Thanks
    Sncjw
    I'm sorry but how does that work because usually the card machine resets when the shopping is scanned. Usually by the time your shopping is done eap for just under £30 stuff the previous customer would be gone and no where near the machine
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 12th Oct 17, 11:04 PM
    • 2,385 Posts
    • 6,702 Thanks
    melanzana
    I have had absolutely no problems with contactless so far. Zero, even used it in the wilds of Europe recently and all is well.
    • sheila50
    • By sheila50 12th Oct 17, 11:10 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    sheila50
    I'm sorry but how does that work because usually the card machine resets when the shopping is scanned. Usually by the time your shopping is done eap for just under £30 stuff the previous customer would be gone and no where near the machine
    Originally posted by Sncjw
    I have no idea how this happened but it did happen.

Tesco could not explain it either. The manager was the one who explained that the previous customer had paid for my shopping.
    • sheila50
    • By sheila50 12th Oct 17, 11:14 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    sheila50
    You actually do have a contactless card, you put the card close enough to activate contactless payment when trying to put it in the slot.

You picked up the previous customers receipt.

That explains it
    Originally posted by Sooler
    I do not have a contactless card and was given the receipt.
    • sheila50
    • By sheila50 12th Oct 17, 11:28 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    sheila50
    Sorry but I just don't believe the OP's scenario.........
    I have used contactless cards since they first became available sometimes maybe 10 times a week.
    Never had any problems at all.
    HTH
    Originally posted by firefox1956
    I am pleased you have not had any problems with your contactless card.

However that does not mean that my experience with my non-contactless card is untrue
    • sheila50
    • By sheila50 12th Oct 17, 11:35 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    sheila50
    You actually do have a contactless card, you put the card close enough to activate contactless payment when trying to put it in the slot.

You picked up the previous customers receipt.

That explains it
    Originally posted by Sooler
    i do not have a contactless card, and was given the receipt by the cashier.

Why would you assume i do not know what kind of card i have? and randomly picked up someone else's receipt? as if that was a normal thing to do.
    • sheila50
    • By sheila50 12th Oct 17, 11:48 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    sheila50
    Tin hatted nonsense.

Originally posted by robatwork
    Why would you state that this did not happen?

Are you a troll?

you seem to be extremely negative.
    Last edited by sheila50; 13-10-2017 at 5:13 AM.
    • Loanranger
    • By Loanranger 12th Oct 17, 11:53 PM
    • 1,976 Posts
    • 5,147 Thanks
    Loanranger
    Sheila, has your bank recently sent you a new bank card?
    • sheila50
    • By sheila50 13th Oct 17, 12:10 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    sheila50
    Originally posted by mickeymouse303
    My card isn't contactless so i never thought about this either. I hope the person who paid for my shopping managed to get a refund, because Tesco hasn't contacted me.

Since this happened i was told that a contactless in a bag or pocket can pay for items if the person walks close enough to a paying device.
    • sheila50
    • By sheila50 13th Oct 17, 12:17 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    sheila50
    Sheila, has your bank recently sent you a new bank card?
    Originally posted by Loanranger
    No my card expiry is next year.

But my other bank sent me a new card this week and it is a contactless card. When i called them to say i did not want a contactless and could they send a replacement, they informed me that they no longer make non-contactless cards. I will not be using this new card or the bank it came from.
    Last edited by sheila50; 13-10-2017 at 12:18 AM. Reason: error
    • Loanranger
    • By Loanranger 13th Oct 17, 12:33 AM
    • 1,976 Posts
    • 5,147 Thanks
    Loanranger
    Maybe it was your other new card that made the payment?
    You can wrap your cards in tin foil or buy a rfid purse to prevent unintentional payments.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,264Posts Today

7,965Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin