Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,114Posts
    • 35,133Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 69
    • bagpuss38
    • By bagpuss38 7th Dec 17, 12:11 AM
    • 615 Posts
    • 3,725 Thanks
    bagpuss38
    Weds pleasures
    1. Wedding anniversary 9 years and counting
    2. Busy but productive day at work
    3. Scrambled eggs on toast with ketchup, lip smacking romantic dinner cooked by my better half.
    4. Master chef on I player
    5. Rounded off the evening with a cuppa and a shared box of choccies

Sorry to hear about your father vjmum xx

Get well soon naughty haggis x
    SIMPLY BE-££577.11
    Very BNPL - £353.00
    • house elf
    • By house elf 7th Dec 17, 6:23 AM
    • 580 Posts
    • 8,139 Thanks
    house elf
    Good Morning Peeps,

Please have a hug or a cheer, or both!

1. I seem to have woken up 1 hr later than normal. This is good, as I am not good at sleeping!

2. Two fab lessons today........made Xmas decorations. There was a lot of glitter!

3. I have managed to tick some things off my to do list.

4. Murder on the Orient Express.....looked beautiful........Murder scene was hilarious!!!!!!!

5. Nothing is going right for any of the kids at the moment. When they were small I could just step in on their behalf and complain to a teacher, coach, other parent etc.........now all I can do is offer advice, support, cups of tea. I suppose the pleasure is that they are still talking to us, and asking for advice.

Have a lovely day.
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 7th Dec 17, 8:30 AM
    • 11,177 Posts
    • 154,010 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) The Oreo child has two bottom teeth!

2) Photos of the Zebra child being an angel at his nursery Nativity yesterday.

3) Hilarious 'skype' with them in the afternoon where the Zebra child would only speak 'elephant'!

4) Trip to the garden centre to see the reindeer, one of whom was so tame and people friendly he stood with his lovely furry nose through the enclosure railings next to the nearest group of visitors and moved to other groups as folks moved away, beautiful boy!

5) Booked to see 'Murder on the Orient Express' this afternoon and having supper out (where as yet undecided!).
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 7th Dec 17, 9:04 AM
    • 1,739 Posts
    • 20,659 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Sorry to read about your Dad'd prognosis VJsMum x
    Oh naughty Haggis, speeding get well vibes whinging their way from Rosie and Tilly.
    That is incredibly sad about your friend Frith x

Wednesday pleasures,

We won £50 on the premium bonds it's just that when the email comes through saying congratulations you do wonder for a minute could it be the big one......

Lulu continues to be a delight, loving but very testing and exasperating all at once, apparently 5 year old horses are the equine equivalent of teenagers, yup that just about sums it up!

Talking of which DB and DSIL have flown to Venice for 20th WA leaving two teenagers home alone, how our darling parents must be looking down and laughing at the possible payback for all those parties

Eldest hollow legged one over for his tea so did a mid-week roast with choc fudge pudding for afters which he practically inhaled.

Watched football and being a Liverpool supporter he was quite pleased with their result.
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 7th Dec 17, 9:20 AM
    • 4,600 Posts
    • 45,237 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    A small collection.
    1. Having bought standard crutches last year, which were completely unsuitable for me, I took a deep breath, and invested in open-cuff, aka gutter crutches. Rather than having a narrow plastic ring around the arm, gutter crutches support the back of the forearm and help to spread the load.

Well, they are fine. Having spent the last three to four years bent over a pair of walking sticks, I am now upright again. It feels odd, to be honest.
    As if I've suddenly grown four to five inches.
    I took the tripod ferrules off my walking sticks, after some zestful tugging, and put them on the crutches.

If you ever need a stick or crutches, don't get the clunky, ugly NHS ones, but invest in narrower ones, as these are the ones the tripod ferrules fit. They make a hell of a difference.

2. Great night at the live music club.

3. Friend was doing a shift at a local nursing home (she lives about twenty miles away) and popped in to see me. Lovely to have her company for half-an-hour. She also took the bulky crutches box out to my waste storage area for me, and made me a cuppa. My kind of visitor. She was duly rewarded with a rather nice toiletries bag that was looking for a home.

4. Quick chat on phone with my brother, who was very ill earlier this year, and is now so much better.

5. Thoughts, Vjsmum, I share your annoyance at the vagueness, and oh, Haggis, whatever next!
    It's so easily done, though I didn't know vine fruits were quite so toxic. I'm sure my OE Sheepdog had some mince pie in her time, in the days before we knew better. Although possibly not, as she wouldn't eat jam.
    She was a very smart dog, it has to be said. Sorry Haggis, I'm sure you are too, but you are a Lab, after all...
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 7th Dec 17, 10:46 AM
    • 4,894 Posts
    • 70,536 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Morning all - thanks for the good wishes. The shock is subsiding and we trundle on. Currently working (waiting for something to download) in the First Class Lounge at Euston before going to the hospital.

Pleasures for yesterday (now, more than ever, i need to log my pleasures. my own mental health has been iffy in the past and I need to take care of it)

1. Dad has been told. This, obviously, isn't a pleasure. but he did take it all in and is anxious to be home. he accepts that that is what we are all trying to do. I wasn't there but my sister and brothers were
    2. My lovely family - especially DD who has been a sweetheart but even DS, who is not known to be demonstrative sent a message saying "i hope you are ok"
    3. Went christmas shopping with DD and had lunch. Excellent diversion and I think it is now the case that if necessary everyone would have something - even if some things are not complete
    4. OH cooked roast chicken dinner - eating properly is part of my self-preservation
    5. Did two loads of washing. Just trying to keep up with everything when i can in case there is a sudden crisis.

Have a good day all
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 7th Dec 17, 12:21 PM
    • 4,688 Posts
    • 28,356 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    I'm not going to come on here and be all that to everyone!
    Seems that BoP's sweat in the boiler room this week is leading to a loss of normal service. please be advised that BoP is well watered and fed and normal service will resume shortly. in the meantime, here's what has happened this day!

5 The wind in the mill has changed much this morning, that the boat has run off course. Rescue ships have been sighted and all will be well tomorrow!

4 Lunch today, in BoP's Munch Box, was salad and delight of Turkish. Jaffa cakes, due to be sold in decimal packets from the French, are on the non approved foods list.

3 BoPsie has removed from the freezer a curry. This will be tea later, served with fresh egg fried rice! More later.

PM2DD see se has five teams in the Champions league, a record!

In case you missed other posts by BoP, they are available here!
    I soled my last sock
    For a whiff of your cheap perfume filled with hope of tears gone by
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 7th Dec 17, 10:28 PM
    • 4,840 Posts
    • 43,580 Thanks
    Kittikins
    1. Only spent £3 at the school fair tonight.

2. Lovely PTA chair gave me a glass of wine and a veggie hot dog

3. Good chats with a couple of chums on WhatsApp.

4. The support of KW - it looks less likely that I'll be able to get the mortgage I need, but I'm still keeping everything crossed.

5. A glass of wine!
    Sealed tin saving - trying to put everything under £1 in my purse in there each day
    House deposit savings £52,000
    • Frith
    • By Frith 7th Dec 17, 10:56 PM
    • 4,293 Posts
    • 40,013 Thanks
    Frith
    I'm glad your family are all looking out for each other, VJsmum.

Pleasures for today (still only Thursday)

1) Not a bad sleep despite the storm blowing and waking next door's dog up who then had a little bark.

2) Went to my great aunty's again in stage 2 of trying to sort her money out a bit. My mum did the bank phoning bit (thank goodness) while I secretly threw away another bag of old catalogues and empty used envelopes and cleared a pack of rotten meat and some mouldy food from the kitchen. :-(

3) Had lunch out with my mum and our local farm shop.

4) Got offered some election work by the local council for next year.

5) Took smaller son to have his hair cut at last.

6) Tasty tea of the assessed pizza smaller son cooked at school (proper bread dough, HM sauce etc), beans and chips then raspberry Eton Mess.

7) Enjoyed Holby tonight then I'm a Celebrity.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • bagpuss38
    • By bagpuss38 8th Dec 17, 12:08 AM
    • 615 Posts
    • 3,725 Thanks
    bagpuss38
    Thursday pleasures

1. Peaceful day at work
    2. Lift to and from work in nice warm car
    3. Snorkers, mash and onion gravy perfect winter food.
    4. Another chapter read of my text book.
    5. In bed with my cuppa
    Night all x
    SIMPLY BE-££577.11
    Very BNPL - £353.00
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 8th Dec 17, 6:25 AM
    • 2,807 Posts
    • 32,724 Thanks
    mhagster
    Good morning! It's all snowy here ( until I have to drive later!)

My babies are all safely home ...my house is a mess.

They're all wide awake with jet lag

The dog is still in vet hospital but doing okay. Went to visit him for 20 minutes before kids came.

Lunch of rolls & sliced sausage & lentil soup

Dinner with 4 of us & DN, NIL & GN .spag Bol or macaroni. I had macaroni

Snow
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 8th Dec 17, 8:21 AM
    • 11,177 Posts
    • 154,010 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Welcome home all the littler Mhagsters and hugs to poorly Haggis dog, hope he's home soon where no doubt he'll go into extacies of delight at having his 'humans' back in one place again xxx.

) Cinema yesterday afternoon to see 'Murder on the Orient Express' which was thoroughly enjoyed, it's very well done!

2) Supper out at Wagga Mammas for a real treat, yummy!

3) Lighting the woodstove when we got home cold and being toasty warm within 20 minutes.

4) The news this morning saying there is some hope of the Brexit deal being reached for the next stage, getting to be 'terminal ennuie' with all the TV coverage of this stage.

5) Nothing specific planned for today so a day pootling at home and doing all the little things that take 10 minutes, sorting packing for my trip to Berlin with DD1 next week, a little cooking to put in the freezer for He Who Knows while I'm away and writing those few Christmas cards we send these days. Also if we can borrow a card a trip to Makro to pick up essentials like washing powder, dish washer salt and loo rolls etc. A sort out day!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 8th Dec 17, 8:31 AM
    • 1,739 Posts
    • 20,659 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Glad your babies are home safe Mhags.

Thursday pleasures,

Wild and stormy day, woken up early doors by message saying horses staying in due to weather.

Into horsey town for various chores, all completed without getting too wet.

Freezer and cupboards full, feeling thankful that we are in such a position.

Snuggles with the little dog, typical spaniel she usually goes at everything 100 miles an hour but cuddles are really quiet and gentle with her nose placed against my cheek, priceless.

Plans being made for youngest DSS's 21st.
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 8th Dec 17, 9:29 AM
    • 4,600 Posts
    • 45,237 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Small collection.
    1. The pleasure of a Christmassy fiction to read. I only read romantic or historical fiction around this time of year, and rely on Am@zon to supply it.
    Having read a particularly dire book, I hastily requested a bit of chick-lit, and it's great so far, really well-written and funny. A lot of swearing in it, but hey-ho.

2. Compensation for a cancelled Age UK shopping trip in the form of shopping online with Amazon. The items supplied by Amazon Pantry (a service for Prime subscribers) seem to improve all the time. Last time I stocked up with washing up liquid, loo rolls and kitchen rolls. This time coffee whitener and cans of sugar-free Irn Bru in bulk, along with other essentials. I will have a huge box to cut up and dispose of later.

3. Chat on phone with DSis, who is well. She retired years ago, but had very complicated pension arrangements that are only now being sorted out. A nice financial advisor came to see her, and reassured her. Thank God for professionals who can reassure, it's a dying art.

4. Mum in law Jessie on Peaky Blinders. The storyline is a cracker. I demand BAFTAs for this, particularly for Cillian Murphy, Helen McCrory, and Adrien Brody, his performance as Luca Changretta is masterful.

5. Your pleasures, thank you.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 8th Dec 17, 11:45 AM
    • 8,300 Posts
    • 31,738 Thanks
    ampersand
    Another long Spits haul, with added nasties, yesterday.
    Buyer, declaring self as 'Portobello dealer for 25yrs, everyone knows me' (no-one did), hrs after exceptional bk purchase, demanded refund(£170) having "changed mind'. Unanimous fellow dealer feeling(word spread like wildfire): he picked on older solo female with some prominent,, unique high value items,, thought he'd make big quick profit on a £250-400 book, but deal/buyer fell through/didn't gel.
    Called patron as witness to proceedings/safety net. Person backed off, altered tone,.but & returned £150, eventually, for safety's sake and DO still have book. Fellow dealers are putting out word and watch...

Also broke 2 plates, entirely &'s own fault, 1 at each end of day, another £30-50.

&squat regained 0310h. 2 hwbs+honey/hot milk meant &lit @ 0330bells and smoke alarm chirruping in 3s every few mins, still is.....

New battery needed, says googling.

...and c.2230h, packed up, off to Brick Lane for car, found & had left lights on since 0445h.....

Add Wednesday's car tax reminder, another £190+.. tralalalalalalala.
    #
    1. The unanimous support of fellows.

2. The kind, entirely spontaneous, insistent assistance of 'Fred', with ferrying out of all &stock/paraphernalia>Meriva, well after 22h (when all-night concierge i.e. cleaning, staff come on.). He just says, in broken English, he doesn't know how & does it, heavy boxes, smiling, working...neither does & sometimes, days like yesterday, with...oh yes, increased stall rents, without notice, another next month and more stock restrictions....
    MORE Tribeca Kill Market tactics. Plus their 'mgmt' filming throughout day and sending patron to 'correct' what they deem defective, stall by stall.
    Don't even begin on legality of this....mutiny on cards.

3. The end of long day push-start from Brick Lane parking guy and young couple. Then left Meriva running, while parked and loading - another 40-60mins....well 2 lumps of Old London Bridge granite weigh a bit for a start:-) and & loads precisely, heavies forward, lhs. & will be 'contributing' driver's weight rhs:-)))...even tho' not fully Fen-sized.

4. Finally, with lunettes' return, finished 'The Franchise Affair', made timeless by such excellent writing and perception of humankind, presented as little asides and observations within and without compelling characters' narratives. Have re-started Adam Sisman's biography, ' John Le Carr!'.

5. Surviving.
    In context of so many others' plights, &'s not even a mote of cosmic dust. & will shortly carry on, unload car, bank modest £s, renew car tax, check this w/e's 24hr emporium specials, prep. tonight's tutoring, anticipate with pleasure tmrw's rugby+carvery luncheon (crimbo-ish home match is the only time & allows self this) - and more osps will arrive.
    We all have this fortunate certainty/equivalence.
    #
    Kk, Mhags en famille+mince pie Haggis(shock for children), pk+dad, vjm and all adjusting family, Frith son's new taxi driver, house elf, all who post or lurk...

Take care, take heart. On y va.
    #
    Oh, a PS - thanks are all peeling off again. Consider them gorilla glue'd back.
    Last edited by ampersand; 08-12-2017 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Autocorrect vandalisms. And now, 3 more rightings(just now mangled to 'fightings') of ridiculous-isms.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 8th Dec 17, 12:04 PM
    • 4,688 Posts
    • 28,356 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    That was then, this is now
    5 Well all that about my lunch inn my munch box yesterday and why the cakes of Jaffa are missing because they are being puntered in packs of 10, a decimal system introduced by the frogs, today we have cakes of Jaffa. Last nite in w8rs, and proper packs were available. Unfortunately, I had to put some of BoPsie wine back as I could not get all the packs into the basket. Tum is being rubbed vigorously!

4 Looking forward at last to the Grand Tour tonight. A channel that requires no regressive TV Tax. Just remember that the biggest prosecutor of females in the UK is crapita, an tax collecting division from the BBC!

3 And I am always asked at the mill why the stokers are so good at their jobs. It is because you would not want to do it at home, and we are professionals. Beside that, we are damping down the fires as we head rush towards xmas! Team event is booked for the wobbleade emporium and whisky is on order! More later!

2 Nite BoP isd having another chicken curry for tea with fresh egg fried rice. I know I only had one yesterday but …

Message ends!
    I soled my last sock
    For a whiff of your cheap perfume filled with hope of tears gone by
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 8th Dec 17, 12:46 PM
    • 8,300 Posts
    • 31,738 Thanks
    ampersand
    Anti notspottery triumph:
    http://www.waitrose.com/home/christmaswithwaitrose/one-day-only.html?wtrint=1-Content-_-2--_-3--_-4-Sitewidestrip-_-5-SitewideStrip-_-6-29_Nov_17-_-7-Christmas-_-8-OnedayonlyBAU-_-9-Aisle
    Last edited by ampersand; 08-12-2017 at 12:50 PM.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT&BUDGET HELP:01274 760720, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 8th Dec 17, 7:44 PM
    • 1,775 Posts
    • 19,460 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    Vjsmum Sorry I'm a bit late to post, but also sorry to hear your DFs news.
    Yeserdays
    1 Glad the workday is finished
    2 Meal planning gave us gammon, veg, egg and pineapple.
    3 I am mesmerised by Kirsties handmade Christmas, I know anything I try will look like a ceramic blob with glitter on.
    4 DH is starting to feel a bit better he’s been poorly for 2 weeks now, nice to see him getting back with it.

Today
    1 Work week done, I came down ill over the morning, and people were sweet, if dosing me up is sweet.
    2 Freezer chicken and pizza, as we literally have very little else in at the mo, even my go to meals aren’t available.
    3 A lovely work colleague who thought I was leaving today, passed me on one of their books of companion to wildlife gardening which looks lovely.
    4 Animals came bounding to see and play, makes it all feel worthwhile.
    5 About to order myself a present from DH!???
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 8th Dec 17, 8:10 PM
    • 2,807 Posts
    • 32,724 Thanks
    mhagster
    Well it's only Haggis and I are that awake...everyone else is zonked. Sleeping by 7pm.

Haggis is home very expensive mincemeat pies.dleight to see his peoples.

Blooming freezing! Much scraping icy snow off car this morning.

Recycling done. Son has been emptying boxes in garage.

Big walk. Very slippy. Popped into friend on way back.we are so lucky to live just minutes away from beautiful countryside.

Decorated tree.

My babies are home ...all 4 of 'em
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 8th Dec 17, 10:22 PM
    • 7,188 Posts
    • 19,637 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Argh RL kicking back

Kittikins - hurrah house news & aw savings tin merger! Eep about the mortgage.
    Frith - may you lay down the fact & let the vengeance land squarely on that fool individual. OK,. may vengeance arive more promptly. 50+ miles a day, ye gods. Phew new escort to start but um. So sorry you've lost an archaeologist. So glad your Great Aunty has you & mum on her case.
    Ampersand - our family has a Spong, but golly your memories are better. Hurrah lunettes & <shrug> Asda - all strength icing 4 cakes! Drat Spits being so mismanaged, (vive la revolution!) & treble hurrahs for lunettes when the Franchise Affair is the alternative reality to step into. Plights may only be a mote of cosmic dust but feel a sight heavier than chunks of Old London Bridge when they cascade into you repeatedly.
    mhagster - you continue to be a beacon of light, no matter where & what. That little old lady was dashed glad of you & your children will appreciate you. Honest. Eventually. Eeep, Haggis! Every child home, even Haggis - Hurrah! And yes, cold.
    Skint - stick at those Christmas cards, you know it makes sense & they *are* appreciated.
    Dundedoll - you won a cake?! Awed! Ah, BT. <eyes shotgun, turns away>
    VJsmum - all the best with that brambled eye & all strength with your dad! "we just don't think it can be anything else" - er what?! Trying to keep up with everything - do please be ready to drop the occasional ball as needed.
    MandM90 - all this running! Awed! Real wooden sash windows are glorious once sorted.
    LaineyT - oh yes "she went into stable reasonably clean" - heartfelt sympathies (I have teenage sons) Love your dogs approaches to claw clipping! All the best with all the teenagers! So glad you got a message allowing you to stay under covers as horses stay indoors.
    mcculloch29 - Hugely intrigued by Dr.C's new snake's name but yes, eating vital. Hurrah new crutches & hope they work out well! Who is the IrnBru enthusiast in your house (or is it communal?!)
    BoP - I gather we're not doing too badly at cricket then? Encore de Grand Tour? Excellent!
    bagpuss38 - love bed & dog nonjudgmental comfort! 9 years - brilliant! Stick at it! Snorkers - the right answer to almost very question.
    house elf - pink tree with flamingoes? Fun! While the children are still talking there's hope.
    Mrs LW - hurrah for getting to the feeling laid back about Christmas bit. My chaps are Just Beginning to consider what they'd like... Aww Nativity & teeth. I miss those days! Sharing the Brexit ennui!
    Purple kitten - order that present - it may not be a surprise but it'll be Right!

OS Pleasures recently
    Bright half moon lights me to the car.

The stand up & the painter discussing art & hearing aids et alia on the radio - I so approve of any woman wearing vividly age unsuitable trainers as they're comfortable! (Only Artists, Rose Wylie & Stewart Lee)

Pondering what mischief lends itself to wheelchairs in Oxfordshire. I am to take my mother on the razzle.... [She wants to explore the super new John Lewis. Not quite what I think of as 'razzle' but she doesn't want to impose on anyone but does have an alert curiosity!]

More little playmobil people in their mystery packets to brighten the office with. We've a new interim manager who is startlingly reasonable, so the little figures aren't as desperately needed as pick-me-ups to morale but it's good to indulge occasionally.

It's Friday! It's Advent! Waitrose has a chocolate sale on! OK that latter not terribly OS but sometimes I get love & chocolate muddled. And the brands that Footballers' Wives would eat if they only allowed themselves chocolate, too.... Bless you, Ampersand and redfox!

The questionable MP & the retired copper. Hum. Not a mention of time stamps - which could place fingers on keyboards, or not, definitively. Pleasure being us team thought the same thing in the same minutes.

What would you give a young person that will change their lives? We reckoned zest-for-life aka rampaging curiosity, the freedom to make mistakes & shame. They might not thank us for the latter but we were raised with it & became (we reckon) the better people for it.

Reassuring sister preparing for her colonoscopy that we are all (men & women) pink inside. I think she needs to see the camera to believe me...

Aw, youngest early in the morning has hair in all directions like a tousled hedge bird.

Son has Sunday Breakfast sorted. Mug of orange juice, a pot noodle & a small bucket of hot chocolate. With a packet of crisps for "vegetables". <shakes head, torn between laughter, envy & what have I done?!>

Child has been excused haircut on grounds he's doing mocks & it might be his lucky hair.... After the last paper, all bets are off though.

Oh my, SuperMoon! Just glorious, and even Lancashire cloud could only dim it a bit & with moving cloud the light would go from veiled to effulgent. Y'know, some minutes Christianity doesn't quite seem to have the raw wild potency of the hazier pagan ideas.

There's a start to a Monday morning - eldest (barely awake) looking like an early Tarzan pleading for a lift, & (that granted) retreating back into the Land of Nod cradled by duvet.

You know it's dark when you can hear police horses but you can't see them, even though earlier you saw them with lights on their leg bandages & the riders carrying light sabre type wands for traffic direction.

Asked a lonely paparazzo who he was waiting for - footballers again, but first the sniffer dogs... A whole new insight into this chilly & under appreciated profession! We grinned that even self employed you could grouse about your boss, let alone the hours, the conditions & so on!

I think I may have a vocation - for asking questions. Anyone got contact info for the Little Sisters of the Eternally Curious?

I like dropping things off at our favourite ca - they are so non-judgemental, supportive & full of good advice on how to hex a cold!

Leftover corned beef hash - divided into two bowls & the smaller portion with a brown sauce smiley face. Son declares himself content despite the ahem obvious inequity.

This cold is playing hob with my spectacles. A box declaring Scaling Ron (potentially a snappy title, I mused) turns out to be not even a "scaling iron" but a "sealing iron" whatever that is - which leaves me scowling at a bad font & pondering how Smaug would set about a personal wash & brush up before stepping to impress...

Awed, (I think), at son's self discipline. A large bag of the German gingerbread (lebkuchen) he adores is still unopened after three days. Is he well? Awaiting someone else to open the packet? Or planning to 'tidy' the thing entirely off to his lair...?

Discovery of "littlefoot" an archaeological wonder, has triggered a great deal of domestic hilarity, given she was short, female & found in a cave. (Some hobbies come back to bite you decades later.)

Infidelity central hotel projecting coloured stars onto local architecture - very pretty (& I expect the party will be very expensive, but I like the light show!).

Emporium rtc quail eggs - my plans for an egg mayo sarnie just got uplifted a tad. Really not a downshift but seems wrong to risk them going to waste. Specially my waist.

Right. Storm Caroline has come to welcome the mhagster children into the delights of Scotland. (All the deep fried jokes will start to make sense shortly.) No doubt the universe is unfolding as it should, even if the evidence is dashed sketchy based on the news headlines. All love, courage, health, strength, hwbs, wellies & sellotape as needed in the coming days & weeks & may whomever you believe in defend us all.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,470Posts Today

8,751Users online

Martin's Twitter