Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,118Posts
    • 35,166Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 64
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 28th Nov 17, 8:39 AM
    • 1,747 Posts
    • 20,766 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Oh PK hope today is slightly better but the end is coming.

Monday pleasures,

After a rough night, a lie-in.

Bit of a leg stretch taking small dog around the field, more bare branches than even a week ago, winter is just around the corner.

HM squash and cumin soup.

Watched The Lighthouse, www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09g0h8w, not sure if silly tablet will do link but excellent, if tad depressing and based on true story.

Lancashire Day and being cosseted by my own Lancastrian even though own silly fault for not sticking on.
    Last edited by LaineyT; 28-11-2017 at 9:10 AM.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 28th Nov 17, 12:11 PM
    • 4,690 Posts
    • 28,392 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    The wheels keep on spinning here
    Just checked Stroud for rooms of sub. Cannot see them playing here. Must look again later! As for Raffles, he had a grit inn his paw the other day, that was removed by BoP! BoPsie tried but ended up scratched!

5 As you are aware that we do not keep cold seats inn the boiler room at the mill. Well we deposited a stoker at the customer to keep his hands happy and full of cloth, I have already got his replacement at the coal face! New face next weak. Well, old one returning. There, that is how the recruitment works at the mill! Good look to hunters out there!

4 To make room for new stoker, we have played office chess as desks have been rearranged for the better. Shovels have had their handles renewed as well!

3 Last night was emergency curry of chicken. As BoP cannot correctly measure the chili powder at the moment, it was as you say hot! Three separates are brewing for later consumption!

2 Night BoP may have brewed curry and be done with it!

That ends this missive from BoP!
    I soled my last sock
    For a whiff of your cheap perfume filled with hope of tears gone by
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 28th Nov 17, 3:13 PM
    • 1,777 Posts
    • 19,486 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    BOP: Thank you to Jenny.
    I’m feeling a lot better today, I have been very mucked about by this company - but on the same vein, I have used it to squirrel the pennies. DH and I chatted, it annoys me as retirement planning is in sight, DH is sure it’s all still on track, a couple of years away but at the fore front of thoughts as well.

LaineyT, you are right, 13 days to go, I will readily admit I am counting now.

1 I worked at home today, a distinct pleasure.
    2 We are off out tonight to a wonderful festive rock n roll show.
    3 We have mince pies and cookies defrosted to take with us to enjoy, both for diet and penny reasons.
    4 The decorations are down from the loft and it’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas.
    5 Thanks to another post, I discovered Delia’s mincemeat, who needs to buy it when I can make it, I then also noticed the recipe is in my DM’s inherited Delia 3 cookbook series.
    6 I am roasting the chicken joint which had been still frozen at the weekend, I won’t be stewing the bones, but I think it will give about 6 portions and it’s making my mouth water with the herbs and smell in general.
    7 I phoned the Dr to book in, and she said how friendly I sound, and that it was so nice to hear a friendly voice, nice to cheer someone up also.
    8 Washing loads cycled around, towels to dryer as they were like exfoliating sand hanging around.
    9 I was chatting to the pharmacist lady just picking up my prescription and picked up DH some freelance wiring work for her! I work on commission ya know, oh ok a cuppa will do – I’ll never be rich.

Just off to “spruce up” for the evening so will post this now.
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 28th Nov 17, 6:49 PM
    • 4,690 Posts
    • 28,392 Thanks
    PM2PK Shhhhh, no telling millwright. But pension bucket up 5% on the day. Day is nearer. Millwright is threatening more dosh and promotion!

I’ll get my coat!
    I soled my last sock
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 28th Nov 17, 8:12 PM
    • 7,188 Posts
    • 19,637 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Eep RL just keeping on going & going. Bring on the seasonal whatsit so I can collapse, sez I. (Himself does all the heavy work on the day & I just decorate a bit & do the presents.)

Very belated birthday greetings to pk and mhags’s dd - have an additional cake on the Dig family?!
    Frith - welcome back & hurrah being back online?! Hurrah all your joint work with smaller son's maths paying dividends! All strength both with Great Aunty & with elder son! Yowch knee - am but 1 on on the Beighton score but do get the with age the increasing stiffness is in fact reassuring. Meantime, owch though & hurrah sons.
    villagelife - yeay mammogram - the classic poses don't half pinch but the peace of mind is priceless. Crumpets with marmite - prepares to form orderly queue... DS2 cooked breakfast? May I send some lads over for lessons?!
    M&M90 - there is no pleasure as sure as having a vat of food awaiting. Mum's current helper made her a Ukrainian vegetable soup & even m'father [champion picky mortal] ate it with gusto for several days on the trot! Spices orange tea in Morrisons - intrigued <added to to do list!> Love Dickens & the Clink & miword yes, sure he'd he be taking mental notes for the next griping installment! IKEA fabric is fun, but has a special talent for denting my card. (Not as bad as Libertys, but they're not as easy to get to...) Gosh yes tidying before visitors. Son's gf gently confined to certain rooms to avoid son's embarrassment!
    VJsmum - yes indeed, the upside of banana bread is that is has a short glorious life near young males. Love yoga as future proofing! "Did a bit of bullying" - well, with ailing parents, sometimes it helps to parent their inner toddler. I plied mum with hot chocolate to ease the time between painkillers. Candlelit yoga sounds wonderful. Dad trying to cope also pretty good, given the alternatives.
    mila - heartfelt sympathies for wheelchair, hurrah for a good son & blimey what a corker your colleague turns out to be! Awed & impressed & delighted for you all, as what a relief to have this major event lifted from you & appear as a benevolent genie!
    mhagster - hurrah for teatowels, & ulp for not being there for birthday but triumph over bed - and now snow. Are you certain you're home yet?! Table & chairs all built! Hurrah! Yes fuel fluctuates between 'ho hum' & 'yowch!' Great niece & Lego - excellent! Still finding rtc flowers to nurture back into original glory?! Awed. Also by your letter writing friend, who is unfazed by distance but writes.
    Ampersand - glad you are au lit, even if not for best reasons, and exulting that temple hangings are going to absolutely right place - "not a decision I can fully take myself" - beautiful! May porridge exert its healing power over you. (Scottish colleague grinned it's his remedy for everything from a hangover to shin splints to pneumonia.) Black Beauty - solid propaganda in a "children's lit" cover. (I loved it, still do.) Good fountain pens are a joy & blessing & almost colleagues. Darn tootin' this thread helps. Love the idea of blitherhoops - add to teaching vocab?!
    LaineyT - a shrewdly timed call to Waitrose is a toothsome joy! Yikes unauthorised dismounts - hoping arnica has helped! Making yourself get up every 30 minutes - that's almost as rough as concussion! Please do not beat yourself up for "not sticking on" - these things happen & Lulu needs to learn that irrational behaviour has consequences.
    BoP - only you have the touch with the camera club projector - welcome back! Mild covet of SatFest breakfast but snorkers await. I agree the tins are a ripoff, but they have convenient negotiation potential with the young. Ah, these seasonal trees... You cannot currently correctly measure chilli? Eh? Eep!
    house elf - please go careful with concussion - rest is underestimated. Ah the yellowing bruises - never before 48 hours unless you have been going at the hot & iced flannels hard. Black eyes are a social minefield - you can try for nonchalance & broadcast embarrassing door incident, but people still leap to assumptions for the female unless you're still in rugby kit.... [& even then] Meatballs have become the in dish this month! Monday arrived as expected, it's Tuesday that has me awry as the adrenaline wore off. Persuade? Blackmail! But ah, Costco!
    mcculloch - hurrah for working wheelchair & still more for lumpfish caviar - do you go for blinis or just devour it in spoonfuls?! Herring in sherry sauce? If I see it - I'll cheep!
    Skint yet again - hurrah puppy responding to training & may DS gradually emerge!
    Mrs LW - isn't it lovely to leave Black Friday to those who want it? Hurrah for Charlie & his mum & oooh - pretty & tasty nut roast? (What shape should it be? Mischievous father enquires.)
    DundeeDoll - delighted to think of you enjoying fish & chips - and seemingly unfazed by the lack of European City Of Culture shenanigans.
    Purple kitten - love the idea of planning so there is a space in the freezer for the turkey. Big hugs are good, no matter what else in the day. It never hurts to be on good professional terms with the pharmacist - they meet a *lot* of folks & word of mouth is the best free advertising going!

OS Pleasures recently
    With a thoughtful eye on potential single use plastic bag taxes, I have stocked up on bags for rubbish from eBay. [Not a squeak, ah well.]

Some things repay re-reading. The "evil bracing kit" was in fact a level bracing kit, though for what or whom I remain in ignorance.

Whomever invents the device for holding your phone in your teeth so you can still use the torch will earn the thanks of a grateful nation. Perhaps not from the dentists but....

Youngest has scaled & stretched & hauled three roll of giftwrap abandoned in the top of the "oh I'll get around to it someday" unpacking sepulchre. I think he's *earned* his choice of box of sweets as I have discovered rather more than I thought I had. Still, that reduces the November Christmas spend admirably.

I love it when my children troubleshoot technology. I think eldest's prowess was achieved by rebooting by unplugging a plug only his length of arm could reach, but that does not diminish his triumph!

"I am cultured." "Yes, you've certainly got stuff growing on you." Oh my menfolk...

"There's pie in the door." As a health & safety warning, it has the merit of novelty.

"Oh gods, not me socks!" Brother helping post-fit brother with the usual queasies - up to a point!

The vigorous chittering of the dawn chorus, industrious, starting it's day as teenagers grunt & shuffle. It's as well few things eat teenagers - they'd be hideously easy prey in this state.

Planning the Rudolph run with breaks for school, loading & pizza. Hurrah for flexi as I got the winter tyres fitted today & plan to sleep in Friday... [Aye, well]

Breakfast is not quite going as planned. Found a handkerchief, found a fleece, put in cheeky bid on breakfast sausages & found I was dispossessed of handkerchief, fleece & felt morally obliged to drive two to school in exchange for breakfast sausage.

Trip to family - glorious. OK offspring groused (rightly, ahem) about food but grandparents delighted to see them all so much bigger and taller in a few months. Proud photos taken, circulated, printed, shown off on the phone... All extended family presents Done as in cba any further. Now just those I share a roof with, phew.

All love, hugs, strength, courage, patience, health & general seasonal bl**dymindedness to all as need!
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 28th Nov 17, 11:45 PM
    • 3,118 Posts
    • 35,166 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Shenanigans indeed Dfv I feel very sorry for those who have so far out effort into European city of culture, but hope their work isn’t wasted. We certainly seem to be on the up as a city, with our wonderful river front development. V&a opens next summer yay
    1) pm2bop Tried posting earlier in week but internet wasn’t playing ball, unlike the mariners and hatters. Wins all round, that’s more like it
    2) pm2mhags dd2 was at murrayfield. Cold, but glorious result
    3) tasty beef stew made in slow cooker. Used frozen red wine portion
    4) last workshop of the year done, phew. It was the one I adapted for Sri Lanka from colleague’s, and today delivered it along with colleague.
    5) independent supermarket has reopened.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 29th Nov 17, 12:04 AM
    • 4,301 Posts
    • 40,060 Thanks
    Frith
    Quite a couple of days (well, quite a year, really) with bigger son. He is now looking for a property and wants to move out. I had not expected this to happen for another 2.5 years or more.

Pleasures for today (Tuesday)

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Hens OK.

3) Went to bigger son's college to get my hair cut and saw the pupil I used to work with who is fine and doing well there.

4) Went to new Waitrose (it has a sushi bar - I thought people were joking when they told me!) and bought Advent calendars.

5) Met my school friend for a cup of tea and a mince pie.

6) Smaller son's fish pie he made at school today did for my tea.

7) Took smaller son to the Harriers match. Too dark and cold to drive home and back etc so stayed in town for 2 hours whilst he watched (£1 for children but about £14 for me so I don't go). Read my magazine in the car, wandered around Sainsburys then drove back up to collect him.

8) Home again (10pm) and helped bigger son complete his apprenticeship application. He is depending on this to move out.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • house elf
    • By house elf 29th Nov 17, 5:47 AM
    • 583 Posts
    • 8,165 Thanks
    house elf
    Morning,

DfV Epic post! Don't know how you do it, but nice reminder of all our doings! Thank you.

1. Amazing rainbow on the way to work. Almost a double rainbow.

2. Got lots of things done before everyone else got up. Including beef stew into the slow cooker.

3. Got to spend a little bit of time with one of my favourite pupils. I know you should not have favourites, but she is a sweetie.

4. Chat with colleague after school. She is inspirational.

5. Beef stew was nice and then snuggling in front of the fire. DH did all the Taxi runs.

Have a great day
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 29th Nov 17, 8:30 AM
    • 1,747 Posts
    • 20,766 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Tuesday pleasures,

Another one here with for Dfv's epic posts, thank you.

Over to see Lady Lulu, she now whinny's when she realises it's me coming up the walkway between the fields.

Visit from BT engineer to 'fix' internet problems, worked for a couple of hours and now bad again, not sure it's a pleasure...

Cuddles with my dogs.

The secret lives of 5 year olds followed by The A Word.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 29th Nov 17, 8:31 AM
    • 11,177 Posts
    • 154,026 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    The nut roast is Loaf Tin Shaped D for V, but in honesty it could have been cashew nut, peanut shaped, hazel nut or walnut shaped also pistachio as it contained all of these (used up jars)!it's the first one I've ever made that a) slices thinly and stays in shape and b) tastes like normal food! It's yummy!

1) Got most of the wrapping of presents done yesterday in a marathon that lasted all morning, phew!

2) He Who Knows and my brother took down the silver birch tree on the front lawn, it's been dropping branches whenever we have high winds and was directly over the pavement and parked cars. Sad to see it go as it grew from a seed from next doors trees and was 6" tall when we put it in but safety said it might do damage if left!

3) Another dry, cold and sunny day yesterday and my brother walked with Cookie dog and myself in the afternoon so we caught up on chat and each others lives, very nice.

4) Next doors trees in the back garden were full of hungry birds when I cleared the ashes and put them out this morning so I chopped some staling bread and put it out for them, disappeared in seconds, they must be extra hungry in this cold.

5) A couple of new houses have come on the market close to the area we'd like so we may drive up and have a look. The market seems very sparse of new stock at the moment I guess it's a funny time of year. Hopefully it will pick up in the New Year after the Christmas break.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 29th Nov 17, 9:16 AM
    • 1,347 Posts
    • 6,543 Thanks
    MandM90
    1) Nesting Today the man replacing the front and back door is coming to do final 'survey'. I also have a man coming to quote on replacing/renovating front two sash windows. Very excited at prospect of cosier and prettier home!

2) Metro, Boulot, Dodo (mais pas de m!tro aujourd'hui ) I've been on fire at work lately. Good feedback, exciting development opportunities, feel clear on what my short term objectives are. It feels good not to feel constantly stressed/worried but rather excited about work. Getting on with boss who I initially found very intimidating - she has a ridiculously impressive CV, Oxbridge degrees, olympic medals(!), spits out huge amounts of work and manages to bring up three over-achieving daughters, too... - which makes things easier. At least I'm not working for her husband who has all of the above + PhD, and an MBE

3) On track for Christmas Have 4 projects planned and aiming to make a set of gifts a week. This week is the week of the shopping bags, and I've done all the cutting out already. Hoping I can get ahead this weekend and start on the craft/knitting bags. Then just 2 makeup bags and three mens wash bags to go

4) Food (again). Have leftover courgetti and lentil/olive pasta sauce in the fridge. It was delicious earlier. Will also be treating myself to cup after cup of orange spiced tea. I fill a thermos with hot water then decant from that throughout the day

5) Books, delicious books...Really enjoying Monty Don's A French Garden journey. Looking forward to snuggling up with the leccy blanket on tonight and joining him as he traverses the country garden by garden.

Anyway, best get some work done. Hope you all have a fabulous day.
    Last edited by MandM90; 29-11-2017 at 11:31 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 29th Nov 17, 9:17 AM
    • 8,304 Posts
    • 31,766 Thanks
    ampersand
    Just re-stuck all the thank'ee s back on this page at least, which is corollary to current state of &heating system, i.e. hold the + and the - together for 10 secs until flue symbol appears, then it kicks in for 10mins-ish. Better than nothing.
    No time for more today. Spits prep. for the all day/all night>21h trading demain.
    It's going to be an even longer haul than usual.

Special thanks to dfv, for your usual lovely roundup post:-))).

1. Thankyou Spectacular Opticians. Old lady lunettes back with both lenses, then the annual sight test, in depth+glaucoma(40+ mins). New reception lass worked everything to & advantage, so much appreciated. Test results mean more new glasses, but now have decent returned working pair to be going on with. Have felt their absence for reading, close work, over last fortnight. Not a good experience, which may have contributed to sight test lurch. This branch have always gone way above and beyond....& sings their praises whenever appropriate or interventionist:-)

2. Aware of feeling safe and warm in reliable car at various points yesterday.

3. Special Hawkes Bay(&'s province) Merlot £2.50 off at Asda, said the mySupermarket app, when & checked against emporium and MrT. Small one in town of horse: so was &. Bought their last 2. Lady said they rarely receive wine specials in: stocks usually go to big branches.

4. Town of Gown, en route to 5. No price logic at all, adjacent gent agreed as we circled plastic tuffcrates mountain. Spits haulage/usage does mean turnover for & and banana boxes aren't always suitable. Hope new £3.88 black ones, 45litre, stay course for a while. Clear equivalent, or smaller, was £12.49! Why?

5. Em re: Japanese college side v. Srufc Colts last night, so drove on, as end to messy, but satisfying, list-ticked day. Important to support our young players. Training night meant loads there - even better. Shelford's halftime 5-0 flattered to deceive. Full-time 31-5 and great students' play. Well deserved.
    #
    Come on &, Spits stock won't 2nd guess and pack and load itself.

Frith, Mila, Pk, Lainey, Mhags, skint, may any extras from here imply 'care, thought, prayer, remembering', however virtual and imperfect.
    Last edited by ampersand; 29-11-2017 at 7:51 PM.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT&BUDGET HELP:01274 760720, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• ampersand
    • By ampersand 29th Nov 17, 9:50 AM
    • 8,304 Posts
    • 31,766 Thanks
    ampersand
    What on Earth?....

Rtnd to add pleasure of today's Gertrude Jekyll google banner, when all rolled sideways and Prepping Thread appeared. Have never seen it. 5osps is enough for &, esp. given fenny connectivity bleughhh.

Woden'sdays copable and better to all.
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 29th Nov 17, 10:59 AM
    • 4,906 Posts
    • 70,673 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Epic post DforV - you pull things out of people's posts that i often haven't noticed... Re "evil bracing kit". I am always doing things like that - even more so of late. The best one is reading "santa" as "satan"

Poor Frith Has DS done his sums re the cost of moving out?

Pleasures for yesterday

1. Good train journeys to and from Manchester.
    2. Excellent interview - everyone I interview (bar 1 that I didn't take to) has been brilliant
    3. She let me sit in on a 'proper' meeting - first time i have been in a proper site team meeting for years.
    4. Made vats of autumn vegetable casserole - 2 portions each and at least 6 for the freezer.
    5. The joys of being able to go in First Class Lounges - hadn't had time for breakfast but was early at Manchester so the FCL provided me with breakfast (porridge), coffee and a warm and comfy environment in which to wait. Similarly a nice cuppa tea in Stoke FCL on the way back.

Must go - gotta do a webinar at 10.00 - open forum for students to ask questions. Hope i can answer them
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 29th Nov 17, 12:09 PM
    • 4,690 Posts
    • 28,392 Thanks
    Is well known in this town
    Now as you knows that BoP has his party room fuill of Humane Remains, Social Workers, Software Engineers and Educationalists! Well it appears that just down from the mill, some girl chair things that is used to a bath has to told to hoick her stuff and be off! What, she managed to build an empire on the debts of her students, and can walk off scott free and a free car! Some inn society exclude themselves from the reality of the single mum on the checkout at the emporium by taking a car three times the salary of the single mum!

5 A touch of old Jack this morning on the coal face in the bunk house at the mill, a chill prior to lighting the boilers. Touch too chilly as the winter scarf has made an appearance at last. Keeps old BoP toes nice and warm!

4 Wasted my money on manure again last night and ended up down. Sat on £14 at the maker of books. Please do not take this as financial advice, but BoPsie’s christmas bourbon is at risk! No play this Saturday as it is the tin pot completion. No more later.

3 On about christmas and as you knows BoP is different and not one of the sheeple. Was thinking of snorkers and mash this year! Your thoughts on this would be appreciated. Note, the ham joint for the Sunday and the butties has already been acquired! Notes on cooking a ham joins will be available at 3 pm on eve of christmas, if this is too late for you to do proper food, please make your feelings known the now! Cake icing day is set for Saturday! More later.

2 Night BoP will be preparing his beach ready body for next years shoreline appearances at the gym!

No need for faith education, we dint need no thought control?
    I soled my last sock
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 29th Nov 17, 12:22 PM
    • 4,906 Posts
    • 70,673 Thanks
    VJsmum
    ooh just remembered another one from yesterday - probably the best one

my DS (who is at uni) sent me a clip of a band playing a really good, catchy song that is right up my street - turns out it is HIS band playing HIS song...
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 29th Nov 17, 5:33 PM
    • 8,304 Posts
    • 31,766 Thanks
    ampersand
    Not osp that right lens of lunettes has dropped out somewhere, not even 24hrs on.
    En bref, optician lady back from hols is ordering urgently another pair, f.o.c.
    #
    Just saw this:
    Today, 5:27 PM
    #1 redfox
    Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Thanked 35,573 Times in 4,229 Posts

Waitrose 1 day only offers Dec 1st to 3rd
    One day only special offers from Waitrose

December 1st - Half price chocolate boxes
    December 2nd - Half price counter cheese
    December 3rd - Half price Christmas fruit cakes

I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Last edited by ampersand; 29-11-2017 at 7:54 PM.
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***

• Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 29th Nov 17, 7:44 PM
    • 4,847 Posts
    • 43,607 Thanks
    Kittikins
    1. Thanks for the Wrose tip &

2. Hooray for Lulu, Lainey!

3. School is improving, due to our hopes for the dreaded report coming good....I'm feeling calmer, and the evil one is nicer.

4. Day off tomorrow!

5. Keep everything crossed - a shared ownership house has come up that I THINK we can afford, and again it's in the town I want to move to!! (The slight snag could be the fact that my maintenance payments are no longer 'guaranteed' and that might affect my mortgageability ) Anyway, I'm trying to not get over-excited, as I am hopeful!
    Sealed tin saving - trying to put everything under £1 in my purse in there each day
    House deposit savings £52,000
    • Frith
    • By Frith 29th Nov 17, 8:01 PM
    • 4,301 Posts
    • 40,060 Thanks
    Frith
    In lighter news (I keep watching it and laughing!), smaller son has been filmed in someone’s post match video! He’s wearing a dark green hoodie with white writing and can be seen “dabbing” at 2mins 55, after his friend does it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqNMYUgX1gg
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 29th Nov 17, 8:22 PM
    • 1,777 Posts
    • 19,486 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    Good luck KK

Has anyone made mincemeat before, is it better from scratch?

1 Nice to be back home 12 days to go, rather like a dual advent..
    2 Had to pop to lidl and we bought the festive turkey while there.
    3 Used up chicken leftovers to make a hot turmeric curry to try and fight colds etc.
    4 I was able to buy part of DH’s Christmas present at work during lunch, an annual pass to Beaulieu, he’s been wanting to go for ages, but we never get around to it.
    5 Feeling the festive spirit creeping around, I am trying to be cautious of not being swept up in the we need all this luxury for Christmas, but it’s starting to get tempting.
    Last edited by Purple kitten; 29-11-2017 at 8:28 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,728Posts Today

6,346Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin