Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,115Posts
    • 35,138Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 42
    • Frith
    • By Frith 10th Oct 17, 11:39 PM
    • 4,296 Posts
    • 40,023 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Tuesday). V tired tonight including cold with terrible sore throat. :-(

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Posted off my ebay parcels.

3) Hens well.

4) Picked my election paperwork up so that'll be about 10 hours work.

5) Off to floody city where I met bigger son so he could try on the charity shop biker jacket I found the other day - a perfect fit! So bought that plus a jumper for me.

6) Went to National Trust place afterwards to redeem my loyalty card for a free cup of tea.

7) Met with school friend in caf! we always use on a Tuesday and 2nd mum and dad were there!! This some considerable distance from home, so that was a surprise.

8) Brother in law is out of hospital, though not really better.

9) Enjoyed watching Celebrity Hunted.

10) Bigger son enjoyed tootling around on his motorbike. He is too nervous to drive to college "What happens if you just can't change lanes and no one lets you out? I shall have to go the wrong way and be lost!!"

11) Smaller son went to the loo at breaktime at school and found he had got dressed in such a hurry this morning he had his pyjama Star Wars shorts on under his school trousers!
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 11th Oct 17, 8:35 AM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 18,363 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Frith maybe bigger son can check I think its askMID

Pleasures for yesterday

1. warm day although cloudy
    2. nice walk on local common picked some lovely sweet apples
    3. did some gardening & DM cut grass
    4. DP's helped lay membrane in alleyway ready for gravel
    5. stew for dinner
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    3. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 11th Oct 17, 8:44 AM
    • 1,741 Posts
    • 20,691 Thanks
    LaineyT
    What a thoughtful Mr Piano DD

Tuesday pleasures,

Attended an ex work colleagues funeral, held in woodland cemetery, very peaceful and dignified. We stood to say our last goodbyes with bird song all around us and leaves gently falling to the ground.

Not enough orders of service to go round but managed to drag all the words to All things Bright up from childhood memory banks.

Despite sad occasion my friend and I laughed & chatted all the way so the journey went quickly.

Picture on book of face of lovely Lulu receiving attentions from dishy farrier, hope she batted those long white eyelashes to full effect

We too watched Celebrity Hunted Frith oh to have friends with helicopters and speedboats!
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 11th Oct 17, 8:46 AM
    • 2,807 Posts
    • 32,728 Thanks
    mhagster
    Hello, it sounds like Scotland out there , blowing a gale and lashing with rain but at a current 18o ( was 24o) is probably a bit warmer.

9 days. Single figures

Work. Was just getting ready and boss phoned to see if I could start earlier , yes, as this means I leave earlier.

As it was quiet when I started I just sat and sent messages to friends.
    One friend is giving me a single bed ( with spare mattress underneath that you can make into another bed) and a chest of drawers, this will be ideal for DD1's bedroom as this will effectively be my spare room / great niece sleepover room.

New lady in for an hour ( in her own time to get used to things) still slow but nice enough!

Home and sat on back porch and watched some catch up on iPad,

Did my best chuckle brother impressions taking furniture downstairs with the very tall son and the very short me. And the stairs with a twist at the top and a twist at the bottom. To me, to you, watch the blooming walls!
    Getting picked up by Salvos tomorrow morning.

Then had to go to Centrelink and spend 2 hours of my life I will never get back. I'd spent almost an hour on the phone yesterday to inform them I was leaving the country ( much of it on hold) and they had suggested that DD2 go in and do certain things so we did that, passed from department to department but now hopefully resolved and I should get money back that had been paid in her name instead of mine but she had no attached bank details. Sigh...it's a very soul destroying place to be. However , allowance will be paid for a further 6 weeks after I've left which I will just give to kids to live on. The pleasure being it was dealt with .

Haggis paperwork sorted . He goes next Thursday (8 days) Vjsmum not enough turnaround time if he went on Friday. At the moment I'm not even thinking about leaving my kids just my dog for 30 hours! I should arrive Saturday am and he gets in Saturday pm

The saga of the small chest of drawers put out on front and some idiot took the knobs of it. So it's sat all week and was amazingly gone on Monday when I came home from work...went to work Tuesday and it had been returned...was there when we went out this afternoon but has now gone again! Sigh!
    I will be glad when all this malarkey is over!

Have a lovely Tuesday
    Last edited by mhagster; 11-10-2017 at 10:17 AM.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 11th Oct 17, 10:05 AM
    • 4,898 Posts
    • 70,578 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Aw Mhags - probably best to focus on the dog. Some things are just too big...

Hello all, pleasures since Monday

1. Monday was a blur.. Almost felt like jetlag, i was so tired. The pleasure is that I just ploughed on - washing, shopping. Did manage a little work.
    2. Made veggie shepherds pie on Monday. Haven't had it for yonks. DS is a carnivore and it was often too much hassle to cook separate meals but, whilst not veggie, DD doesn't eat much meat. Excellent excuse to cook up delicious veggie food. And there's some left for the freezer
    3. Cleaned the bathrooms yesterday. Always the most satisfying thing to clean as it really shows
    4. Watched liar.
    5. Watching the leaves a tumbling. Won't be a pleasure when I have to collect them off the lawn.

Have a good day all.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 11th Oct 17, 12:06 PM
    • 4,689 Posts
    • 28,367 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    I tried that. It didnít work!
    5 Good to see people talking about proper food. No No No No No No No No No No! Cheese on the emporium counter is only unwrapped plastic muck! Same as that that should be left on the shelf! Proper cheese comes from farm juts down road from where nan BoP lived. Ulceby Top in Lincolnshire. Lincolnshire Poacher cheese. Unpasteurised and good for you. It comes with proper crust as well! Not only that but eggs seem to be back on the menu. They were never off BoPís!

4 Right that is the food stiff sore ted! Now on the good food things and the like, tonight BoP will be wolfing down Chicken Roulette. Not available on Jimmyís book! Proper food and a damn site less than 20 minutes as well! And tastier and quicker than the blitz ready meal.

3 As I said the other day, in side office at the mill we saw off one stoker on Monday night and led him away from the premises yesterday. His seat did not get cold Iíll tell you, a replacement has already been seated on it. That is how we do things at the furnace. We accept resignations with aplomb!

2 Nite before eating my chicken roulette, I will be showing off my Christmas looks in the gym.

Take a seat, it is just right for you!
    I soled my last sock
    For a whiff of your cheap perfume filled with hope of tears gone by
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 11th Oct 17, 2:23 PM
    • 11,177 Posts
    • 154,020 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) A pocket full of fat and succulent chestnuts picked up on my walk with Cookie this afternoon.

2) Fabulous and wild wind blowing along the river which made hair look like birds nests but so invigorating.

3) Silhouettes of trees beginning to show as the leaves drop.

4) Found 'Pick up Sticks' in the garden centre to give to Zebra for Christmas.

5) Nerines, flamingo pink and shiny blooming in the front border.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 11th Oct 17, 8:46 PM
    • 1,776 Posts
    • 19,469 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    1 Nice to have my baking mojo back, it disappeared to such a point I was considering cooking classes it was chilli chicken breasts and greens tonight.
    2 Work done, over to dads after, not a pleasure but at least itís making my brother and I closer for want of better words.
    3 Iíve just restocked on some lidl ice cream.
    4 Picked up a tumbling composter from a local freegler.
    5 Autunmal leaves falling everywhere, I love the reds of autumn
    • Frith
    • By Frith 11th Oct 17, 9:56 PM
    • 4,296 Posts
    • 40,023 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Wednesday)

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) A bit of a slow morning, as still have cold and very sore throat. Did usual jobs around the house.

3) Hens well.

4) Roast chicken for tea with rumbledethumps plus roast carrots and parsnips from the freezer, bread sauce and gravy.

5) Also cooked up cooking apples (in the freezer now) and did 4 more jars of crab apple jelly. Turned the left over chicken from tea into chicken tikka so bigger son can have that in his sandwiches at college tomorrow.

6) Smaller son is quite addicted to watching Gordon Ramsay's kitchen nightmares (the American series) so we watched one of those.

7) Going to bed in a minute to catch up with GBBO.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • Frith
    • By Frith 11th Oct 17, 9:57 PM
    • 4,296 Posts
    • 40,023 Thanks
    Frith
    Skint - thanks for the askMID thing, I had never heard of it!
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 12th Oct 17, 6:02 AM
    • 1,145 Posts
    • 12,973 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Managed to learn how to do a couple of new things in the computer system at work.

2. Had a physio appointment and given exercises to do. They seem that they will work but my back aches at the moment.

3. Hearing and seeing a woodpecker in the garden.

4. DS2cooked for him and DH so I only had to cook for myself.

5. Had a chat with my Dad the laser on his cataract worked well and e seemed happy.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 12th Oct 17, 9:10 AM
    • 1,741 Posts
    • 20,691 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Wednesday pleasures,

A good nights sleep and woke up with good amount of energy.

Tackled the cupboard of doom under the stairs, found many things including giant sparklers from a long ago firework party and mats for the MX5 I sold last year! Now I keep opening the door to see how tidy it looks

HM soup for lunch.

Loose horse at the yard, he kept jumping out of his field to visit one of the mares, all enclosed so he couldn't escape but worry was tangling up in the fencing.

Eldest DSS stayed for supper after being out with his Dad, I stretched our tuna, broccoli and bean bake by adding a pile of SP mash.
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 12th Oct 17, 10:27 AM
    • 2,807 Posts
    • 32,728 Thanks
    mhagster
    Oh my goodness. Almost just a week !

Today. Work ...trying very hard not to be frustrated at lack of speed/ iniative/ manners ( please! under my breath every time she served a customer ) . Thursday very busy day ...suggested she had Friday off purely selfishly.

Got keys for where kids are staying . They move out this weekend.

Beautiful day.

Salvos men came and collected 3 big pieces of furniture.

A couple of dog walks....one to the vets for flea treatment , a jump on the scales ( him not me) and a wee treat. He loves the vets.

More stuff to salvos, to fabric recycling bins and to smelly op shop because they take electricals.

Much packing away. Suitcases more or less packed .

Desk, almost cleared.

Garden weeded and bin filed and out for collection.

Out for dinner with Canadian friend, her treat which was lovely.

Had to pay home solicitor for work done on transferring house into my name only...I only got the bill a month ago ( in my busy head was about 2 weeks ago) and had had a reminder email. Funny talking with people with a similar accent...better get used to it I suppose!

Although it's bedtime o'clock I need to wait up to chat with a friend from home ( who's been looking after house) I will have no home internet/ house phone from Sunday so need to chat now.

Have a good day
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 12th Oct 17, 12:16 PM
    • 4,689 Posts
    • 28,367 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Donít say nothing at all.
    5 How appropriate that Pat Benatar belted out in the wheels fo BoP this morning! ĎGet Nervousí and it appear that our poor luvvies are in tears amongst themselves over some spilled milk. Yet how quite they kept about it over the years. Dear me. Was not Norma Jean on Hughís first cover? The couch its only reupholstered, it is the bums on it that change! Tunes on BoP fone of I are available on other devices as well!

4 Other reasons, I say no comment though! Now last night as you are aware BoP was eating chicken roulette. And yet again it was extremely hot. Was wolfed down!

3 watched another Pee Wee film last evening on flix of net. Big Top Pee wee! Was as good as his other ones.

2 Nite Glawster are on the box playing rugby is some place called Pau!
    Ended up on the old thread earlier, I could not post!
    I soled my last sock
    For a whiff of your cheap perfume filled with hope of tears gone by
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 12th Oct 17, 1:00 PM
    • 3,115 Posts
    • 35,138 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    1) walk to work was damp but not rainy - tried a new route and got lost, but was very pretty
    2) hm prawn and pasta thing for lunch
    3) took a flask to senate - 2 hours 15 mins but was first one of the academic year
    4) then met up with DDs at a lovely cafe
    5) then curry and Coriolanus with gbf - 1 - 3 definitely mse, 4 & 5 a bit more costly, but fun
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 12th Oct 17, 8:19 PM
    • 1,776 Posts
    • 19,469 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    Mhags: I admire how organised and how you are dealing with everything.

1 Work done again, looking forward to working at home tomorrow.
    2 I visited dad again, I know I did, he hasnít a clue.
    3 I stopped as the car was thirsty, so popped in, a few yellow stickers 1kg of chicken for 1.20, The veg I bought, cabbage and carrots Iíve used immediately for 32p and some baddies of cookies and cherry pie at 25p, which I will hide in the freezer for now well 1 may ďescapeĒ tonightÖ
    4 Chicken with everything and a tin of toms cooking in a pot now, together with the revolting marked down mushrooms I bought and cooked for DH, cooked separately so as not to contaminate.
    5 Candle burning, washing on, food cooking away and DH and animals together perfect.
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 12th Oct 17, 9:20 PM
    • 3,115 Posts
    • 35,138 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Doing today's cos already in bed. Snuggly!
    1) so lucky to have such a lovely nhs dentist. Check-up, Scale and polish, X-rays and referral to orthodontist £16
    2) then walked to work. Dentist is 10 mins the other way so good for my knee
    3) mrpiano made very tasty prawn pasta thing last night when I was at the cinema and had put Hal for in Tupperware for my lunch. Nom nom
    4) haircut - love that the hospital hairdresser does standby
    5) catch up with sister on phone as I walked home to a lovely chicken curry.
    Now catching up on ambridge then back to Lewis.
    • house elf
    • By house elf 12th Oct 17, 10:09 PM
    • 581 Posts
    • 8,146 Thanks
    house elf
    Evening,

Early to bed as very tired from staying out late last night!.....

1. Went to see New Blade Runner with 2 for 1. (May need to watch it again).

2. Autumn colours on the way to work.

3. Getting somewhere with special project I am doing at work.

4. Beautiful sky on my journey home.

5. Nice easy tea of take away chicken from COSTCO and lots of veg.

Night night
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • Frith
    • By Frith 12th Oct 17, 11:11 PM
    • 4,296 Posts
    • 40,023 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Thursday)

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Bigger son bought his trousers for practical work (always all day Thursday at college). Smaller son came home bearing courgette carbonara from his cookery lesson.

3) Hens well, one egg.

4) I decided to pop out and get 4 geocaches. This means, when we all go out tomorrow, the first we find will be our 500th.

5) I was stomping round thinking that I only had £3 to last until Tuesday. I was looking for a geocache under a boardwalk (through a marshy nature reserve) and, for the first time ever, found a £5 note! So off to Aldi for bread, rolls, parsnips, carrots and chicken wings. All done for £5.11.

6) Bigger son sorted out a problem with the throttle cable sticking on the motorbike so it now runs better and will use less petrol.

7) Bigger son has been at work this evening, smaller son is playing on the playstation with his school friends online (teacher training day tomorrow so doesn't have to go to bed at normal time). Earlier, they were all singing Slade's Merry Christmas to each other!

8) I've spent the evening tidying up, cleaned the bathroom, watched Ambulance then GBBO Extra Slice.

9) Brother in law is out of hospital and on the mend.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 13th Oct 17, 8:40 AM
    • 1,741 Posts
    • 20,691 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Thursday pleasures,

Food shopping, bit of a stock up and coupons used meant over £20 off the bill.

My old dog having one of her poorer days so medication on her lunch and loads of cuddles.

Went to see SIL in her new home, smashing little house and she seemed really pleased with it.

Also popped into see eldest niece and plans made for her to come over to see Lulu.

Sunset on the way home, seemed as if the whole sky was pink or apricot.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,112Posts Today

7,023Users online

Martin's Twitter