Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,075Posts
    • 34,695Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 41
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 9th Oct 17, 3:58 AM
    • 1,611 Posts
    • 14,405 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    * Youngest daughter on FT coming back from wedding in Buffalo NY to Pennsylvania. She was responsible for helping bride get dressed, hair, makeup etc but brides grandma locked her out of the house where her dress was so she had to attend to the bride and see the wedding in shorts. We laughed and laughed. She had time before the reception to get grandma's keys and put on her $300 dress she had found on sale for the wedding. Polish families so lots of great traditions and polkas to enjoy dancing to. (She grew up two stepping because we live in The West) The reception was over at midnight so she chauffeured, as designated driver, the wedding party to a local bar. Bride went in her wedding dress and they were eating tacos at 3am. She loved the entire event right down to the tacos. She especially connected with grandma who had lost her husband two months earlier. Reported they were an all together lovely family.

* I'll be seeing this precious daughter come Friday when she flies into NM for her Nana's 90th birthday bash. A weekend of fun in Albuquerque and everyone will be able to also enjoy the Ballon Fiesta...a huge event there this time of year. LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING THIS GIRL!

* Just enough leftover stir fry for tonight's dinner. I made a lemon pound cake with lemon cream cheese frosting yesterday. Happy OH.

* Nothing on the schedule until Thursday. Hurray! I can catch up on house things.

* No air conditioning or heating on here. Our bills are so high in the summer it takes several months to catchup. Fingers crossed the weather holds until December.

* Dalziel and Pascoe now on season 6.
    Who said it was easy. [Coldplay]
    • house elf
    • By house elf 9th Oct 17, 6:30 AM
    • 587 Posts
    • 7,637 Thanks
    house elf
    Sunday

1. Sunny, warm weather.

2. Today was Baskerville day at the Birmingham Literary Festival. Went on a Baskerville themed guided walk around Birmingham in the morning and a book launch about him in the evening. Very interesting character. Not really known or celebrated, considering we all probably look at his typeface everyday!

3. Made Jamie Oliver 15 min Thai Laksa for lunch......getting quicker

4. Went to Sainsbury's and won £25 worth of Nectar points in the Swipe to Win promotion.

5. Escape to the Chateau and Victoria and quilting.

Have a lovely Week.
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 9th Oct 17, 6:45 AM
    • 1,101 Posts
    • 12,431 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Morning in the garden. Tiding it up and was really warm. DH mowed the lawn.

2. Had lunch in the garden as it was warm enough to sit out in with jumpers on.

3. A visit to MIL. We were there about an hour and a jar and had the same conversation about 10 times. She is ok but confused but still managed to make digs and insults me. She does it regardless who is listening now.
    The pleasure was both sons came but for no. 4

4. Had a meal with DH cousin and husband. Enjoyable evening. Laughter and talk.

5. Good journey home.
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 9th Oct 17, 11:38 AM
    • 2,767 Posts
    • 32,208 Thanks
    mhagster
    Bedtime here. Been a busy day after a thoroughly lethargic weekend.

Started work early. So I could leave early. Had new lady in , who whilst nice as a customer is maybe not best suited for job however this won't be my problem! Very slow. Very frustrating. Trying to be very patient.

Pay day. Just 2 more of these. I can actually now say I leave next week. Exciting & terrifying at same time.

Went into city the long way. Replacement buses / chopping & changing trains. By the time I was on a tram was feeling decidedly nauseous. Was meeting a friend at cancer hospital. Had a nice catch up & it felt okay being there. Donated a bag of coverless puzzle books.

Had a nice lunch on my own. Tram, train, the most rattliest bus and then a train home.

Dropped more stuff at salvos , having already been in & bought 2 dresses.

Didn't cook tea, kids just sorted themselves out. I'd had a big enough lunch.

Watched some stuff on iPad & had a bath.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 9th Oct 17, 12:16 PM
    • 4,578 Posts
    • 27,591 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Swing of it
    Jenny sends to others and KK
    5 No I as no bin missing, just so snowed under here at the mill since taking occupation of the side office. But still here we go. Put BoPsie’s remaining housekeeping on the football Saturday. None winner, but sat at £25 from £5 this month. Nearly a night out. PM2DD Wins all around.

4 Saw Engerland qualify again. No need to book the package as it will be over in about a week! No more later!

3 Now as yous know BoP did shopping yesterday and gots him sen some cakes of Jaffa! And some digestives as well. Now BoPsie, who packs a lunc bag, has decided cakes of Jaffa are no good and has placed two digestives instead.

2 Night BoP is outs for a curry as one stoker is leaving the place. Foods all round!

There, now if you want that favourite parking slot outside, just take some broken glass and sprinkle it on the ground in your slot. In the morning when you return, all you need is the broom to sweep it away, and you’re back in!

Another chance gone!
    I soled my last sock
    For a whiff of your cheap perfume filled with hope of tears gone by
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 9th Oct 17, 4:02 PM
    • 11,014 Posts
    • 152,281 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) Many beautiful cobwebs hung with crystal raindrops in the hedges, so beautiful.

2) Small table and wooden cupboard put out with a 'free - please take' notice have both been taken.

3) A dry walk with Cookie between the showers.

4) Boiled eggs with bread and butter for lunch, love it!

5) Lovely photo sent by DD2 of a collage tree picture that the Zebra child made with some colourful leaves he collected on their walk yesterday morning, very pretty!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 9th Oct 17, 4:22 PM
    • 4,780 Posts
    • 68,953 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Afternoon all.

Recovering from a busy weekend. We went to Disneyland Paris, for DD's 21st birthday. her birthday was in July, but she had this to look forward to. So much was pleasure.

1. Eurostar. i just love it. Even though we were a bit delayed coming back yesterday. So much more pleasant than flying.
    2. Everything about Disneyland is magical. Too much to write here - but rides, parades, firework displays, characters. All fabulous. So much attention to detail. DD has been lucky enough to go to Disneyland about 10 times in all - in Paris, Anaheim and Florida. The magic has still not worn off...
    3. DD's 'thing' is cosplay (dressing up as various characters, Disney and otherwise). Adults are not allowed to dress up at Disneyland but there is a thing called 'Disney bounding', where you don't exactly dress up, but people know what you are supposed to be. She wore a yellow skirt, blue t-shirt and red bow and everyone realised she was Snow White. Characters interacted with her as Snow White - and she met the evil queen . it was really funny when the Disney helper with her said "She's not happy to see you" Other disney bounders included Rapunzel, cinderella and belle so she wasn't alone.
    4. Such lovely food - we went to a steakhouse in the village and an all you can eat buffet yesterday which was in the magic Kingdom but was excellent quality. the highlight though was 'captain Jack's' in the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. It was all a bit pricey but the quality of the food was top notch - and definitely far better than we were expecting.
    5. The hotel (The cheyenne) was good - and, as a hotel in Paris, was very good.

Trying to recover...... We walked some miles...
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 9th Oct 17, 9:52 PM
    • 1,101 Posts
    • 12,431 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Work went surprisingly well. A new computer system started. It didn't work perfectly to say the least. It will take weeks to sort out the problems but there was no panic and laughter sometimes verging on hysteria.

2. Very little traffic on my drive to work- traffic report was for traffic jams.

3. Chat with a neighbour. Saw her little girl.

4. Long chat with my parents.

5. Lovely letter from my Aunt.
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 9th Oct 17, 10:42 PM
    • 3,075 Posts
    • 34,695 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Evening all.
    1) gorgeous walk to work. I decided to take lots of note of my surroundings - the changing colours, the beechnuts under foot, the occasional dog walker.
    2) teaching. My students are such fun
    3) left over devilled sausages for lunch
    4) funny convo with ex. She's off to Canada tomorrow with her bf for 3 weeks and has sent me a 30 years wedding anniversary card for tomorrow (don't ask!) funny bit was her apologising she'd forgotten to put a stamp on it!
    5) speaking to all 3 of my children. (If texting to ds counts). Dd1 is back from Netherland.
    Now catching up on the archers then it'll be back to Lewis, courtesy of peter may.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 9th Oct 17, 11:12 PM
    • 4,238 Posts
    • 39,541 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Monday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Tidied, washing up, washing, wrapping parcels for Ebay.

3) Hens well - 1 egg today.

4) My sister came round (her husband has been in hospital since Thursday) and we went for a cup of tea then a walk in the forest nearby. Brother in law was supposed to have a blood test this morning and, depending on results, been discharged. He has waited ALL DAY for someone to take the test but no one has come! So he is in another night.

5) Popped to parents' to print off a bank statement so I may (finally) get some money towards bigger son's bus/lunch/equipment at college.

6) Phoned the Tax Credits people to make sure they knew bigger son is at college and no, they didn't know, and that is one of the reasons we have not had enough money to buy petrol and food for 2 months!

7) Weeded and swept the garden and cleaned the porch up a bit.

8) Wiped down all the spindles ready for when the carpenter comes to fit them.

9) Bigger son came home - on his motorbike...

10) Smaller son and I watched the Wales match in Welsh on S4C. I can barely follow their children's programmes so had no chance with the commentary. And the result was not what we wanted. :-(

11) Have just watched First Dates.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • house elf
    • By house elf 10th Oct 17, 5:58 AM
    • 587 Posts
    • 7,637 Thanks
    house elf
    VJsMum Disney sounds magical. I had a brilliant idea of going for Xmas......spent a couple of hours pricing it up and decided we should buy a turkey as usual! Not heard of Disney Bounding.......Just Googled it. Fab!.......Stitch, Monsters inc? hmmmmmm

Monday

Mind gone blank......

1. Washing pile decreasing slowly.

2. 3 meetings and a visit by the Teacher for the Deaf successfully managed.

3. Spaghetti Bolognaise for tea. Everyone ate it.

4. Jamie's Quick and Easy Meals.......Upsart Crow......W1A

5. Stopped at B&Q on the way home. got some seeds the students can plant for over winter.

Have a lovely day
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 10th Oct 17, 7:42 AM
    • 2,917 Posts
    • 18,181 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Frith re insurance I would be making sure bigger son has an insurance certificate & pays direct to insurance company ... from other tales of woe I wouldn't put it past ex-Mr frith to pocket the money !

1. DP's arrived on sunday
    2. bringing with them roast dinner, pork and crackling, eaten with DS too when he got home from work at tea time
    3. outside tap fixed thanks to DF and only cost around £5
    4. shepherds pie for dinner last night made by DM
    5. let puppy off lead for first time yesterday with a group of dog walking friends around she was very good and came back when called ! (still bit my trainers on way home though )
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    3. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
    • Frith
    • By Frith 10th Oct 17, 8:04 AM
    • 4,238 Posts
    • 39,541 Thanks
    Frith
    Skint - you’re quite right. He said the deposit has been paid and he’s got an email of confirmation but I haven’t seen it yet...
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 10th Oct 17, 9:39 AM
    • 1,596 Posts
    • 18,818 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Not sure what happened to Sunday pleasures so here is a mixture for the last couple of days,

Over the yard early on sunday morning so saw the sun rise across the fields and next to Ely Cathedral, stunning!

Back to bacon butties and catching up in all things Ambridge.

Tom plants sorted and into green bin for collection, inspired by Monty to plant out some winter salad plants so now on hunt out for secondhand cloche.

Garden chairs finally packed up into shed, we had been sitting in various sheltered spots but time to give up on summer!

Finished Autumn wreath for front door, now have 3 out of the 4 seasons.

Lulu continues to settle in and seems more relaxed

Started 4.50 from Paddington but problem is having seen a tv dramatisation recently can hear the actors voices iyswim.

It was a draw at Uni Challenge
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 10th Oct 17, 10:59 AM
    • 2,767 Posts
    • 32,208 Thanks
    mhagster
    Countdown starts here 10 days to go.

Work. Always a bit meh on a Tuesday,started early so finished early. Did a bit more training. New lady aspires to be as good as me! Set the bar high

Haircut & coloured. Apparently it's taken 10 years off me according to the ladies in post office. So not sure if I now look 38 or if I was passing for 58 before...I didn't question the compliment.

Post office to sort out a PO Box & mail redirection.

Paperwork Scmaperwork. The pleasure being it's now dealt with.

Muuuuum can you please bake for a uni bake sale. 20 lemon meringue cupcakes made.

Made mince parcels for tea. We have to improvise when most of your kitchen stuff is on a container ship!

Sun was shining. Birds were singing. Gardens looking great.

Final psychology session. Met a friend I used to work with so we had a chat at the end.

Bed! Rather glad to get to bedtime tonight.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 10th Oct 17, 11:24 AM
    • 4,780 Posts
    • 68,953 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Mhags - does haggis go before you?
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 10th Oct 17, 11:47 AM
    • 1,274 Posts
    • 5,894 Thanks
    MandM90
    - Today I have two green gage trees being delivered

- Dinner party tonight. OH has a friend who contracts down here, but lives in Manchester, so lives in a hotel Mon-Thurs. He's coming over for a hot dinner. Have made mushroom bourgignon and apple and vanilla tart. Yum. Also, last night at the supermarket we found two YS packs of lovely mini portobellos. Perfect for tonight's supper

- Lovely clean and tidy house. DH blitzed last night whilst I pottered in the kitchen. Knackered after work, shopping, cleaning/cooking then back to work, though!

- Over the weekend we worked for over 6 hours on the garden. DH moved over a tonne of earth and a tonne of rubble. Ouch. Garden is really shaping up, though, and can't wait to enjoy a G+T on the patio next year
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 10th Oct 17, 12:05 PM
    • 4,578 Posts
    • 27,591 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Stories yet untold.
    5 saw stoker off the premises last night. Curry was wolfed down and yes it was early inn the week for it as well!

4 BoPsie meanwhile as she waited for BoP to finish his slap up meal had freedom of Marks. She managed to retrieve off the shelf a packet of nice frilly panties for only 75 pennies. Obviously they do not fit BoP! I will be back later! Much later!

3 Anyway now back at mill and sometimes on Buck of Face there are certificates about your absurdity. Well my colleagues had performed poorly in one quiz and had scores of less than 50%. Not to be out shone, BoP managed to peek at 87%. So now my peers now the sun does shine right upon men and not them!

2 Nite that BoP should be well into showing off his New Year looks done at the gym. You have already mist his Beach Ready look for summer. Viewing available inn Apple of Big in 25 days

You’ve already got this far, so it could be downhill from here!
    I soled my last sock
    For a whiff of your cheap perfume filled with hope of tears gone by
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Oct 17, 2:30 PM
    • 11,014 Posts
    • 152,281 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) Proper cheese from the cheese counter instead of buying ready packed slab, said slab is always wet in the wrapper and dotted with what looks like white mould so new resolve is to ONLY buy from the counter from now on.

2) Smell of autumn bonfires right through the village this afternoon, lovely.

3) Met a couple of Cookies doggie pals, Yogi the pug and Folly the retriever, helped her not to miss Charlie so much now he's moved away.

4) Maisie coming for a walk and to stay the evening with us tonight.

5) Found bags of 'Thorntons Classic' chocs for £1 each in Wilko's this morning in town.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 10th Oct 17, 9:57 PM
    • 3,075 Posts
    • 34,695 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    10 days mhags wow! We are enjoying unseasonably warm weather but I suspect you might still need a woolly!
    1) warm weather meant washing dried on line yay
    2) turned down lift to walk in and again drank in all the colours (though admit to spending some of it reading my book)
    3) last of the devilled snorkers for lunch
    4) then friend's grandson's 1st birthday. Lovely (how I've missed telly tubbies rofl)
    5) Card from xoh for 30th duly arrived without stamp. Has long letter - sight of writing did have me in tears, so mr piano played faure dolly suite to cheer me up. Lol, opened the floodgates as of course to me it's listen with mother. Then nice curry and a glass of wine. Have not yet read letter - Roll on 11th
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

281Posts Today

1,851Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin