Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,073Posts
    • 34,682Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 40
    • Frith
    • By Frith 6th Oct 17, 11:28 PM
    • 4,236 Posts
    • 39,522 Thanks
    Frith
    Quick pleasures for today (Friday).

1) A sneaky extra hours sleep after waving smaller son off to school.

2) Bigger son spent much of the day working on his motorbike. All done except he is waiting for the new clocks to come by post.

3) Sat with the hens for an hour or so.

4) Brother in law is in hospital but might not need an operation (knee abscess).

5) Tasty salmon for tea, cooked in parcels.

6) Took smaller son to football practice. Bigger son went to work.

7) Enjoyed Gogglebox and the Last Leg.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 7th Oct 17, 1:08 AM
    • 3,073 Posts
    • 34,682 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Ds's gf sad I was out and ds jealous of mrpiano cos he can play life on mars ds's gbf's fave song. Well ds get mrpiano to teach you!
    1) student got distinction for masters. Very very proud
    2) lovely walk round arboretum at Lunch with colleague
    3) yummy lift over chocolate cake
    4) mrpiano cooked scrummy chicken and couscous
    5) book club. Coffin road, excellent. Next 3 sorted. I'm sneak in December
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 7th Oct 17, 3:57 AM
    • 1,611 Posts
    • 14,405 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    * Used up venison sausage someone gave us that's been in the freezer so long I don't remember who it was. Anyway, zuppa tuscano made in the crockpot and it turned out to be pretty good.

* My friend received good news with an excellent financial divorce settlement. No court! Settlement was offered and excepted through their attorneys. A great family dinner ensued at her sister's home and everyone was very relieved. It's been a traumatic two years for her and I'm so grateful this part has ended.

* My dear son who was refusing to be reevaluated for his Aspergers relented and went to the appointment. The woman was a very kind nice person so he came out of the 2 1/2 hr evaluation in an ok mood. Praise be!!

* Youngest daughter took 17 students to hear Michelle Obama speak about leadership etc in women. Says it was truly amazing and highly impacted her girls.

* Saw my 90 yr old XMIL and, as always, it was truly a pleasure. We will celebrate her birthday with a family reunion next weekend. My OH and I are attending. She loves my husband. Lovely family. The X won't be attending as he (and his wife) are still in prision for tax evasion. Idiot!

* Finally got the car we bought my son titled. A total of 8 1/2 hrs spent trying to accomplish something that should have taken 30 min. There's a hiring freeze on for the state motor vehicle department. Long lines doesn't even begin to describe it! We felt like we had won the lottery when our number was finally called!

I'm enjoying the doggy horsey stories you bunch are posting.
    Who said it was easy. [Coldplay]
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 7th Oct 17, 7:15 AM
    • 1,591 Posts
    • 18,764 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Ooh Mila looked up zuppa toscano, yum!

Friday pleasures,

Cold start but sunny day so two loads of washing dried on line.

More books added to winter library, including a PD James and a collection of short stories by S Hill.

Talking of which DB sent me link to R6 broadcast in which fav author R Hobb talks about her music tastes, on list to listen to.

Coming home and seeing two little doggy faces peeping over the garden gate, tails wagging, precious moments.

Also watched Gogglebox Frith am generally not squeamish but even I had to use cushion of protection re the bullocks eye
    • house elf
    • By house elf 7th Oct 17, 7:17 AM
    • 586 Posts
    • 7,625 Thanks
    house elf
    Mila - Writing a post after yours seems like putting the Archers on after Dallas! I wish I could have gone with your daughter to see Michelle Obama speak. She is one of my heroines. When we went to Washington last year, I really hoped I would see her coming out of the Whitehouse!

1. I have applied for another job! Pleased that I have updated my personal statement, even if I don't get shortlisted.

2. The weather has been beautiful for the last two days on the school allotments. Both groups of students are working more as a team.

3. Watching one of the lads with severe learning difficulties planting Brussels sprouts with such care. Made me want to cry.

4. DD catching up with all her friends after being away, and making plans for BF to visit.

5. Catching up with friends at a birthday party. Too much red wine. DH disapproving. Sitting here drinking Chai to stave off a hangover!

Got woken up at 2am to go and collect DD from her night out as she had lost her purse, then 5am by DS who had forgotten his keys! What a night!

Have a lovely weekend
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 7th Oct 17, 9:01 AM
    • 1,100 Posts
    • 12,415 Thanks
    villagelife
    Not an awful lot for Thursday -not a bad day but not great.
    Yesterday was much better.

1. Tidied the house quickly and changed the covers of the sofa and chairs. Most are already washed and dried.

2. Had a chat with a neighbour. Hadn't spoken to him in a while. Had a chat about rugby.

3. Walked to the station and went to Kew Gardens. Had lovely walk round. Some of the trees were stunning with the red leaves.

4. Walked back to Richmond and enjoyed watching some archery lessons that were taking place on London Welsh rugby pitches. Also liked looking at some of the houses.

5. Enjoyed the match and good that we won. I like the atmosphere on Friday nights under floodlights when it's full which It was yesterday.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 7th Oct 17, 10:00 AM
    • 4,781 Posts
    • 43,262 Thanks
    Kittikins
    A really bad week in Kittikins land....but think it'll help me to list pleasures:

1. exOH has finally paid his maintenance

2. KW is taking me out to the cinema tonight

3. The NHS

4. My co-teacher

5. DD and KW who are helping me more than they know, even if I can't get it together to tell them.
    Marmite jar savings £101.15
    House deposit savings £51021.94
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 7th Oct 17, 10:20 AM
    • 2,766 Posts
    • 32,204 Thanks
    mhagster
    Kittikins hope life improves next week!

Well a very quiet day after a busy week.

Birthday chit chat with great niece. Now aged 6

Chat to friend from home.

Some nice dog walks .

Then slumped into a lazy couch potato, watched some catch up on iPad and that's about it. Kids in then kids out .

Have a good weekend.
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 7th Oct 17, 12:15 PM
    • 1,100 Posts
    • 12,415 Thanks
    villagelife
    Kittikins hugs to you and hope things improve.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 7th Oct 17, 3:19 PM
    • 11,007 Posts
    • 152,206 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) Successful trip to the city on the bus and the Grandpickles now have 2 x lovely warm pairs of pyjamas for Christmas.

2) Such fun on the river when I walked Cookie, sailing club juniors 'Kippers' out in dinghies sailing in circles, some older ones sail boarding and a couple paddle boarding standing up along with several younger ones 'squelching' back to the car with a parent absolutely dripping from head to toe having got the balance wrong.

3) Met out local ridge backs Sabie and Nandy who are gentle giants and the nicest of dogs, always a pleasure.

4) Trip to the whole foods shop and found some sprouted rye bread which I've previously only been able to import after trips to DD2, !

5) Much rugby on the TV, waiting for one match to end that is being recorded before sitting down with a cuppa to watch the next which I think is Stadt France vs Montpelier and should be a blinder!!!
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 07-10-2017 at 8:50 PM.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 7th Oct 17, 9:44 PM
    • 3,073 Posts
    • 34,682 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    PM2BOPGood result all round
    1) first ever park run. Really enjoyed it. Dd2 and I walked it in 47 minutes (physio says not to jog till knee totally recovered)
    2) gbf met us on the final stretch and treated us to bacon rolls and hot drinks
    3) weather gorgeous - we sat out in the garden when we got back
    4) snorkers down from £3 to 74p for 10. Bought 2 packs which are now cooking along with hm apple crumble.
    5) friend's fb post made me laugh - she'd typed creme anglaise and it had autocorrected to crime Anglican
    • Frith
    • By Frith 8th Oct 17, 12:02 AM
    • 4,236 Posts
    • 39,522 Thanks
    Frith
    Hope you're OK, Kittikins.

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Ploughing my way through the washing - dryer is still on now! Nearly all done, including bedding.

3) Hens well.

4) Decided to do a bit of geocaching and walked for 3 hours! Found 15.

5) Popped to Lidl for bread, milk and a bun and was charged £14. Turns out the lady had typed in 38 buns!

6) Did lots of cooking to use bits up from the fridge - lots of soup then 5 portions of macaroni cheese with courgette for the freezer.

7) Watched Casualty.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • house elf
    • By house elf 8th Oct 17, 6:50 AM
    • 586 Posts
    • 7,625 Thanks
    house elf
    kitikinshope this is the start of a better week.

Yesterday

1. DD washing from Greece drying on the line. Suitcases finally empty and stored.

2. Gave DD a lift to town to get money from the bank. Had a free coffee using loyalty card.

3. IKEA for meatballs. Just me and DH. Got picture frames to frame Japan memorabilia. Having a change of wall art in the living room after 20 years of Pre Raphaelites.

4. Escape to the Chateau and a bit of quilting.

5. Woopsies in Tesco included 4 tubs of posh chocolate ice cream for 75p each!

Have a lovely Sunday.
    Last edited by house elf; 09-10-2017 at 6:19 AM.
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 8th Oct 17, 7:37 AM
    • 2,914 Posts
    • 18,176 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    (((Hugs))) Kittikins be good to yourself and get some rest. x

MHags you amaze me with your energy and positive outlook. Another big change is on the way for you and your kids and I wish you all the best x

Frith - so motorbike has been purchased. How much was the insurance ?

I have been lurking but haven't posted for a while.
    Recent pleasures

1. I have a week off work
    2. some nice comfort food now the weather has turned wintry, pilchards on toast for breakfast, home made veg soup for lunch and curry for tea

3. puppy walks are starting to improve. No biting yesterday, the back of my trainers are grateful ! Any tips gratefully received !

4. still managing to mostly dry washing outside, but treated puppy bedding to a 20 minute blast in tumble dryer to get rid of any dampness before she slept on it. The rest can finish on airers overnight.

5. I have received my gas & electric bill and I am in credit which will help towards winter bills. Still no heating on yet but may have to relent soon and start to have it on for 15 minutes in the morning to get rid of the chill and dry towels after showering.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 08-10-2017 at 7:39 AM.
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    3. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 8th Oct 17, 8:12 AM
    • 1,100 Posts
    • 12,415 Thanks
    villagelife
    Good day yesterday.

1.Quiet morning DH was at work and DS2 came home muttered something and went to bed to only wake up to get ready to go to play rugby.

2. Caught a train to London with DH and met a family who I hadn't seen in a while. They were going to celebrate their eldest sons engagement. It was good catching up with all the news.

3. Had a quick walk round and looked in the Japanese sweet shop. They do look beautiful but are very expensive so didn't buy.

4. Had a meal and wine in a Greek restaurant. It was very enjoyable and good atmosphere and very busy.

5. Went to see The Barber of Seville at the ENO. It was excellent and only the second opera I had seen. DH booked the tickets (we were in the cheap seats) and told me it was a comedy and about 3 hours long. I was unsure whether I would enjoy it but I did.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 8th Oct 17, 10:19 AM
    • 1,591 Posts
    • 18,764 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Better week wishes to Kittikins x

Saturday pleasures,

Woke up early so was at the yard and back by 8.30.

Made a decision over a difficult social engagement, weight off my mind.

Picked the last of the tomatoes and two batches of sauce made for freezer.

Back at the yard, chatting to friend and watching the rain coming across the fields.

Caught up with some tv, HIGNFY and Cold Feet, candles lit and a bar of G&B plain choc, yum.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 8th Oct 17, 10:27 AM
    • 11,007 Posts
    • 152,206 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) Up early today, housework done, ironing done, lunch sorted, two bay trees pruned, fire cleared and re-laid for tonight, apples simmering away in the slow cooker and He Who Knows is pressure washing the greenhouse!

2) Going to the farm shop when he's finished and to the garden centre for coffee on the way back.

3) Cooler again this morning, really smells or autumn outside too, love this time of year.

4) Much rugby on TV again today.....woohoo!

5) Going to ring the furniture shop tomorrow to see if they'd be interested in taking our 'old charm' pieces back as we're trying to shed some belongings prior to moving house. Will also be contacting the antique shop in a local village to see if they'd be interested in the denby set we have, grandmas old cutlery and the chest it's in and the studio dinner set we had made years ago and haven't used in all the time we've been here, interesting times!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 8th Oct 17, 5:09 PM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 19,037 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    Hope you are ok KK.

A mix for the weekend

1 Clothes tidied, aka washing put away, clean bedding put on with old being washed and hung out and upstairs hoovered a pleasure to finish and sleep in clean bedding!!!

2 Ordered a pair of little boots for winter half price, purple, fluffy lining, just hope they are wide enough, free delivery and returns so can try them.

3 DH took me out for the evening for food and movie, we went to see the Kingsman on goupons and it was harmless.

4 A layin and grilled blt for brekkie.

5 I gathered things from the cupboards to see if I could make a Christmas cake but missing a few ingredients which I’ve listed the missing culprets out to get on the next shop next.

6 Pork roast joint with rosemary and tyme cooking away smelling lovely will be with apple sauce and veggies.

7 Some junk TV.

8 After dinner I will be doing phase 2 rosehip jelly to jars.

9 Healthy food planning for the week ahead, prawns out of the freezer.

10 As I type there are gentle reassuring snores from happy animals.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 8th Oct 17, 8:55 PM
    • 4,236 Posts
    • 39,522 Thanks
    Frith
    Skint - father has completely taken over the motorbike organisation but I believe the insurance is £550 and bigger son will be paying in instalments.

Pleasures for today (Sunday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Cooking continues! Meatballs today and a batch of particularly pleasant tomato sauce - straight into the freezer.

3) Went to see the hens. Still moulting so no eggs.

4) Hoovered and steamed the floors.

5) Watched old episodes of Gavin and Stacey.

6) Sons came back from their father's and smaller son has helped me make more sloe gin. Have also (nearly) got him to do 2 pieces of homework, which is a wonder. The new EHCP arrived yesterday and (drum roll) there is nothing I want to change!!! Usually they're awful, badly written - one report even had another child's name halfway through!

7) Another batch of crab apple jelly is underway.

8) Hoping to pop out and see the meteorites in a bit. Don't know how cloudy it is.
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 8th Oct 17, 10:57 PM
    • 3,073 Posts
    • 34,682 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    frith sloe gin nom nom
    1) Saturday bath shifted to Sunday due to park run - started reading Lewis trilogy. Very good so far
    2) got washing almost dry on the line, now finishing on airer
    3) devilled sausages from the 5 leftover. Forgotten fresh pineapple was still good so that went in
    4) then gbf came round and we walked the dogs (Bilbo has made it to this week's woman's weekly!)
    5) then over to the Byre in St. Andrews for Norma encore from the Met. Glad you enjoyed BoS laineyt Norma was fab.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,681Posts Today

8,513Users online

Martin's Twitter