Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,118Posts
    • 35,163Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 38
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 2nd Oct 17, 8:53 PM
    • 4,690 Posts
    • 28,391 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    When BoP was young, old codger BoP said if there was no such thing as a toy gun. If I wanted such a thing, join up a fire a proper one. I did so!

Tonight I was again Inn emporium and parked trolly to block items of evil.

I have not ever once changed my opinion on this. From parcel to the rich in Ethiopia 1984, prior to some b lust singers. Nor just a week ago.

And my comment earlier about god. As you are aware I do write my BoPsphere words without recourse to tv news, not watched since 21:33Z 1982-05-03!
    5 So pleased I managed to remove some evil tack from the shelves of the emporium yesterday. Please do the same. It is just one small step from thinking innocent about paying over the odds for a piece of tack that looks harmless, yet contributes to a fest of evil. There is no place for this. I used to enjoy having my birthday on bonny night, yet today, in the lead up to it, a lust of envy and greed that diminishes the enjoyment. What was a celebration is now tainted with hate.

While evil remains on the shelf, there can be no pleasure.
    Originally posted by Blackbeard of Perranporth
    That food stuff pumpkin could feed the world. Greed and evil makes you only one pay day from ...
    I soled my last sock
    For a whiff of your cheap perfume filled with hope of tears gone by
    • Frith
    • By Frith 2nd Oct 17, 11:14 PM
    • 4,301 Posts
    • 40,058 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Monday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Sons had good days at school/college.

3) Did bits and pieces round the house - 2 loads of washing, made sloe gin, cooked up YS parsnips for the freezer etc.

4) Hens well and I ate my sandwiches with them at lunchtime.

5) Started tidying the allotment a bit. Dug out the old sweetcorn plants and put the weedproofing down where I could.

6) Trying some healthy eating again after going up to my maximum weight. Seems there is a point where I think, "Blimey, now this IS fat!" 13 stones 2 is where I suddenly think to get on the scales.

7) Popped to my brother's and got crab apples so will make some jelly this week.

8) Bigger son talked to me about college. His project at the moment is learning about wiring lights and switches in to houses.

9) Just going to get a hwb then listen to An Unbelievable Truth.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • house elf
    • By house elf 3rd Oct 17, 6:01 AM
    • 583 Posts
    • 8,164 Thanks
    house elf

Some lovely dog walks with a very naughty dog, who ran into his best friend Dusty's house and ate his breakfast! Slightly mortified!
    Originally posted by mhagster

Yesterday......

1. Meeting with various professionals. (The sort who BOP would despise). Very postitive. Students doing really well.

2. Nice lunch of leftovers. Even though I was on duty and supervising detention at the same time!

3. Left work early for once as DS1 GF leaving meal. Did not bring any work home.

4. Meal at Zizzi with vouchers. Atmosphere was a bit flat, and had to leave before the end to take DD to work. We had our pudding to go!..... Feel a bit guilty she is going home. We obviously have not made her welcome. she is looking forward to not having to do her own washing and cleaning etc........as far as I could see there was not a lot of either going on!!!!!!

5. Watched the final of the Astronaut programme when we got home. The winner was not a surprise. Will miss watching Chris Hadfield.

Happy Tuesday!
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 3rd Oct 17, 6:42 AM
    • 1,145 Posts
    • 12,973 Thanks
    villagelife
    Busy weekend eating and drinking.
    Went to Aunt's birthday celebrations which lasted all weekend. A great time was had. Some highlights

1. Seeing all my family including my cousin's little ones. Everybody gets on well.

2. Some lovely food.

3. Enjoyable walks including along the beach but couldn't see the sea as it was so far out.

4. Went to Sandringham and enjoyed looking round. The staff were very knowledgeable and have information in an interesting manner.

5. My sister have me some exercises for my back.

6. Good yesterday was ok. I am eating a vegan diet for 2 weeks to see if it helps with hand pain. I need to do something to kick start the diet.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 3rd Oct 17, 8:57 AM
    • 1,747 Posts
    • 20,752 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Monday pleasures,

Amused myself whilst tackling the ironing pile by watching the farmer drilling and planting the field behind the house.

Popped into horsey town for various bits and picked up 3 wick candle from TKMaximus.

Good catch up with SIL, she has work problems and in the middle of house move but still keeps laughing, positive person.

Weather was windy so battened down the hatches and stayed in all afternoon.

Uni Challenge, Capt S was on fire and got a number of correct answers!
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 3rd Oct 17, 9:17 AM
    • 2,809 Posts
    • 32,749 Thanks
    mhagster
    Good evening , it's been a day most pleasant. A cold start of 4o as I walked to work but warmed to a lovely 23o. Saw the blackbird singing from next doors chimney pot at dawn and can hear him singing away just now as the sun sets .

Work. I've decided to embrace the quietness of a Tuesday morning. Read a coy of Ideal Home! Chatted with customers. Then it was home.

Lovely dog walk without any culinary diversions!

Put on a rubber glove and took my fingers along the skirting board / carpet and released some fluff! Swept the walls in my bathroom.need to go and make my mattress topper as I'd pulled it out to get to skirting.

Went for lunch with my friend who's husband was also terminally ill. First time we've met since he died although we've chatted on the phone. Many hugs, many hand holds, a few tears and much laughter. She's a very special woman and I'm glad we met. She will be my new letter writing friend when I'm home!
    She gave me a lovely little wooden angel ornament, ( I'm not a big ornament fan but I like this) that will sit on my bedside...when I get a bed

Home . Went and dug the veg patch over. Going to try and do half an hour each day in back garden if I can .

Then it was too hot for me so went in watched some catch up telly and may have snoozed.

Steak pie for tea with cauliflower and broccoli. Stuffed . Lunch wasn't big, just a quiche and salad but too much food for one belly I think.

Dog walk to oval but it's now cricket season so the cricket club were practising so couldn't go my normal way.
    Two young lads were out with their small dog and no poo bags! Offered one and the youngest boy ran over and said 'you're the best!'

More stuff taken from out on grass verge. Take it all please!

Have a lovely day
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 3rd Oct 17, 12:16 PM
    • 4,690 Posts
    • 28,391 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Pity those who seem fit to carry arms!
    Shame those who inn the emporium buy evil.
    Park your trolley and block the evil aisle.
    One less gift of hate will save the child.
    I soled my last sock
    For a whiff of your cheap perfume filled with hope of tears gone by
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 3rd Oct 17, 3:14 PM
    • 11,177 Posts
    • 154,025 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) Such a beautiful day out there today.

2) Just back from a lovely Cookie walk where we met many friends and had chats in the sun and put the world to rights.

3) Making great inroads on the store room and have the tins and dried down to one wall and not all the shelves thereon. Progress!

4) The Lounge is finished and looks really much nicer, He Who Knows has done a good job.

5) Done some more sorting and discarding of surpluses which will be taken to a charity shop next week.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 3rd Oct 17, 8:39 PM
    • 3,118 Posts
    • 35,163 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    1) decorator back for 2nd part of transformation. He was amazed at how much we've cleared :-)
    2) dd1 has made lovely Halloween decorations for room of requirements
    3) got home, lit candles, wrapped myself in a throw and finished coffin road. Very good
    4) dd2 arrived with my London board game I'd ordered sunday. Gos of ar said Friday or Saturday so very happy
    5) snorkers for tea - cooking as I type
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 3rd Oct 17, 10:43 PM
    • 1,777 Posts
    • 19,486 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    1 Volunteer meeting was really nice to go back to, we had a bit of a needed break away, and it was nice to be back.

2 Donated and cleared out a box full of things for the volunteer raffle, and entered another raffle and actually looking forward to a Christmas event.

3 Dinner was planned haddock and veg, the unplanned bit of pizza was erm allowed for.

4 Washing loads on after I realised it would be a braless work day tomorrow otherwise…..

5 Listing out the bills to be paid on Thurs, we have numerous insurances falling due and I will be paying them in full this year no instalments again at goodness knows what percentage.
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 3rd Oct 17, 10:47 PM
    • 1,777 Posts
    • 19,486 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    Ohh DundeeDoll,, while I remember, do you have any recommendations for board games that are suitable for 2 rather than groups??
    • Frith
    • By Frith 3rd Oct 17, 11:17 PM
    • 4,301 Posts
    • 40,058 Thanks
    Frith
    Quick pleasures for today (Tuesday).

1) Took bigger son to college and I think his day went OK.

2) Spent a couple of hours geocaching.

3) Bought smaller son's cookery ingredients for school before remembering he only has a half day this Thursday so his practical has been moved to next week! So we shall be cooking carbonara at home tomorrow.

4) Met up with my school friend for a cup of tea.

5) The carpenter got back to me with a quote.

6) Smaller son got some homework done. We almost understood the science this week.

7) Watched GBBO.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 3rd Oct 17, 11:19 PM
    • 3,118 Posts
    • 35,163 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    We played the London game twice with 4 tonight PK I shall have to do some serious research and try all our board games with 2 :-) (both games dd1 came first and I came last) I do remember loving labyrinth which is for 2
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 4th Oct 17, 6:47 AM
    • 1,145 Posts
    • 12,973 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Reasonable day. Stayed late at work to do all the million forms needed to apply for leave! All filled in now have to wait for it to be approved. I have my reasons ready why I want those times and nobody else is off but there has to be negotiation!

2. Talked to colleague at work properly for the first time. She is mellowing after having a baby and is more relaxed and much happier.

3. Receiving a refund from Waitrose as my delivery was late.

4. Nice walk round the garden with a coffee when I arrived home.

5. Enjoyed my tea of a courgette, lemon and mint pasta dish. Courgettes from the garden and a mixture of green and yellow.
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 4th Oct 17, 7:31 AM
    • 2,809 Posts
    • 32,749 Thanks
    mhagster
    Another warm enough for me day.

Work. Was fine.

Weeded at veg patch before it got too hot, dug veg patch over ( we have 2 big raised beds)

Borrowed lawn mower from next door neighbour so cut the very overgrown back grass this afternoon. It looks a mess but lawn mower was making funny noises and it will get a cut again by gardener in a week or so.

Went for lunch with friend who works at school. My treat today as she paid last time. I had breakfast salad which had brown rice and pumpkin and lots of leaves and some nice spicy stuff and had chicken with it too but minus the poached egg. Would have it again but it was too much. She gave me some school memorabilia...pen, notebook, magnetic clip thing and a yukky box of ferero rocher that nobody likes...so shall have to find someone to pass them on to! She will be keeping an eye on my children when I'm away ! ( they are moving into the school house)

Made macaroni with the pasta that was left so a bit of a mish mash. And an omelette for son.

My blackbird is singing , I'm about to go a dog walk . Get there before the cricketers tonight.

Have a lovely day.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 4th Oct 17, 8:15 AM
    • 11,177 Posts
    • 154,025 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) Sleeping for most of the night and NOT waking up coughing.

2) Put a surplus to needs wooden rocking chair on the bottom of the drive with a notice saying 'I need a new home to live in, I'm free, please take me', was there when I went out to walk Cookie and gone when I came back an hour and a half later, result!

3) Found a possible house online yesterday and we have a viewing on Thursday, wish us luck?

4) Making the decision to shed all the things the girls have left here (well, within reason) and not looked at since they went off to Uni including DD1s hideously striped school blazer which is still hanging in the wardrobe in the spare room!

5) Making the decision to cull ALL the books in the house (it will hurt BUT it needs doing) and ALL the kitchen equipment as it's sat in cupboards for too long unused being too big to use for just two people.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 4th Oct 17, 8:56 AM
    • 1,747 Posts
    • 20,752 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Tuesday pleasures,

Difficult as feeling rough with cold lurgy thing so first one has to be the soothing cups of honey and lemon.

Sent home from Pilates class as breathing affected.

Being outside made me feel a bit better so saw Lulu and shifted four barrow loads

Big bowl of pesto pasta with spinach and broad beans, very green supper!

Watched GBBO and collapsed gratefully into bed.
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 4th Oct 17, 9:29 AM
    • 3,118 Posts
    • 35,163 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    hope you're feeling better soon LT green supper sounds lish (though i suspect BOP'll have words about too many broad beans and not enough snorkers!)
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 4th Oct 17, 9:33 AM
    • 4,906 Posts
    • 70,653 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Morning all - what a bright autumn morning it is..

Good luck Mrs LW - watch out for the kondoing, it's addictive

Pleasures for yesterday.

1. I ate too much. This isn't normally a pleasure, but sometimes it's a thing I have to do. Porridge on the train, croissant at St P., fish and (a few) chips for lunch, (minute) chicken dinner on the train home.
    2. Dad was better than I feared, he'd been complaining about his legs, but he seemed ok in himself
    3. Saw my lovely sister who came to see dad. her chaotic on - off marriage is still chaotic, but she seems happy enough.
    4. Forgot my nephew's birthday AGAIN... his is always the one I forget. but as I saw my sister i could quickly get card and put cash in it.
    5. Managed to get to library in london to pick up the book i'd ordered. Saving me a whole day trip down there to fetch it.
    6. Dr Foster

Have a great day all. I am going to see my boy today for lunch, i am very about this but will have to appear
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 4th Oct 17, 9:34 AM
    • 1,747 Posts
    • 20,752 Thanks
    LaineyT
    hope you're feeling better soon LT green supper sounds lish (though i suspect BOP'll have words about too many broad beans and not enough snorkers!)
    Originally posted by DundeeDoll
    Thanks DD at the risk of BOP's wrath a woman cannot live by snorkers alone
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,148Posts Today

5,752Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• Follow Martin