Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,054Posts
    • 34,486Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 29
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 14th Sep 17, 6:48 AM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 12,166 Thanks
    villagelife
    PK pleased you're working for another month.

1. Dark chocolate and orange truffle type sweet a colleague brought back from her Spanish holiday. It was delicious.

2. Bus home wasn't cancelled - it had a broken wing mirror. We all had to move to the bus behind which does more or less the same route but is always virtually empty as staff have to pay for it.

3. Bathroom is clean and plants watered. Pleasure is that is done and my back was fine to do it after a day at work.

4. DH bought some milk and bread so I don't need to go food shopping yet. I'm not very good at just buying a couple of things.

5. Text conversation with a friend. She has set the date for her wedding. It's not till early 2019. She is really happy and excited about it all.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 14th Sep 17, 8:59 AM
    • 1,527 Posts
    • 17,964 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Ooh Bagpuss crumpets and butter

Wednesday pleasures,

Cleared the ironing pile whilst watching the farmer finishing the field, where do all the seagulls come from!

Changed clothes round from summer to winter, always a bit of a depressing job but cheered up when I found a new pair of jeans that must have got in the sales and put away.

Lulu had her vaccinations and I met the yard farrier, wondered why he was surrounded by adoring females but think Damien Lewis with farrier muscles, it won't be a hardship to have my girls feet done

My friend is going through tough time with poorly husband, all can offer is sympathetic ear and a hug.

Had just got home when the heavens opened so avoided a soaking.
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 14th Sep 17, 10:27 AM
    • 2,743 Posts
    • 31,924 Thanks
    mhagster
    For Thursday . Dry morning, last few early mornings have been beautiful, it doesn't last long but I'm glad I'm up & about to see them. Loving walking to work in daylight.

Work. Last few Thursday's have been crazy...today was much the same! 4 more to work.

Got chicken at local supermarket , was going to buy the RTC then noticed the fresher stuff was on the weekly offer so bought that one. Was turned into a very tasty pie.

More stuff gone. Some free / some paid for/ some salvo-d

Son & I went to recycling centre 3 towns away with loads of cardboard. Why OH was hanging on to so many boxes I've no idea. The garage was his domaine. Many blooming spiders dealt with today. Red back stood on & others sprayed. Detestable things. This was a good job done.

Tyres filled with air on way home. Kind of knew what to do anyway, just never done it.

Made pie with chicken & lots of veggies, tiny roasted potatoes . Left over sprouts from last night. Used up some skanky strawberries & older apples in a crumble. Very nice.

Took a pile of left over from packers wrapping paper down to our neighbours for their little girl to draw on. Had also given them sweet pea seeds the other day. Popped in an envelope in their mailbox. They were off last year's flowers.

Voted 'yes' for the right for same sex marriage in a very expensive public ,postal vote ...which only says what the public want but doesn't necessarily mean it will happen. I really hope it does. It's so archaic that it does not.

A few nice doggy walks.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 14th Sep 17, 12:11 PM
    • 4,536 Posts
    • 27,324 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Slaughtered
    5 Not quite, but was at the emporium of wobbleade last night Food was also wolfed down. Not often these days that BoP gets out and as the nights draw inn, the trolley race in the car park no longer feel as good as they did in years passing. Please be aware that if you ever try to copy the actions of BoP and race trollies around the streets, that it is better to be on the trolley handle and not the basket. As BoP is a professional, please do not do this at home or let your offspring add it their to do list!

4 After that, it was home to BoPsie and an nice cup of cocoa, with hot crumpet buttered with marmite! Tum was well rubbed again.

3 And because BoP was so good and ate out yesterday has allowed the curry, home made by BoP, to brew for another day. I gather it will be windy later. Hot stiff. I cannot think that I want to rub my tum! And for lunch BoP is ‘avin’ his usual salad with boiled egg. It is so good to go to work on an egg! Together with a couple cakes of Jaffa. Strawberries and berries are also wolfed down!

2 I see the frogs managed to win an Olympic games. Well, no one else was bothered to bid really! Same goes for the yanks. It is a shame that Manchester or Edinburgh did not bother to upset the rooster again like we did in 2005! As BoP has already attended this type of sporting event, I’ll not be wasting my money on a ticket!

Perhaps if I let the cat out
    Watching the trail
    of cheap supermarket bags filled with a lfe gone by
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 14th Sep 17, 10:15 PM
    • 4,754 Posts
    • 43,153 Thanks
    Kittikins
    1. Better day at school, felt a bit more on top of things.

2. Know I'm loved by my beloved xxx

3. Had a message back from the HA about the flat - foolish me had forgotten to upload all of my bank statements so it looked as though I didn't have a deposit for the flat!!! At least they were nice about it and I think I've now sent everything I need to.....until they find something else I've forgotten.

4. Had a real laugh with my lovely TA, I was so pleased when I was told I was getting her (different to last year's who was also really nice)

5. A NSD, so put my final £1 in my purse into the Marmite jar.
    Marmite jar savings £96.35
    House deposit savings £50513.60
    • Sj62
    • By Sj62 14th Sep 17, 10:32 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 442 Thanks
    Sj62
    1. Sunny bright day so enjoyed having lunch outside
    2. Three loads of washing out and only had to put the last onen the drier
    3. Took old worktop to the tip. It had done 20 years' service inside and six months outside as temporary workbench. It snapped in two so off it went with thanks for all it's had work
    4. OH made spicy chickpea soup to help clear the cold/sinus thing we've had for a fortnight. Tasted great so that's a bonus,
    5. rearranged kitchen cupboards and cleared a load of stuff. Strangely satisfying
    • Frith
    • By Frith 14th Sep 17, 11:27 PM
    • 4,191 Posts
    • 39,125 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Thursday)

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Hens OK.

3) Smaller son's conversion meeting to turn his statement of SEN into an EHCP (I think our county is working 3 years behind). Provision should now be in place until he is 25...

4) Eyebrows and beard threaded off.

5) Smaller son had a good day at school and made soup in his cookery lesson. He made me laugh (he has done a lot of cooking before) as he said, "I had cooked the leek in the butter, put the vegetables in and poured the stock over and the others were still chopping up their potatoes"!

6) Had tea in Sainsburys

Annoying parts of the day were yet another job application rejected without getting even an interview. Bigger son was picked up from college but told me (in the car) that he hates smaller son and me and would move out if he could. He then got out of the car and is staying with a friend - I am not allowed to know who or where. Then I got home and went to feed the cat and the outside light has stopped working so you can't see your hand in front of your face in the garden.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 15th Sep 17, 6:57 AM
    • 4,754 Posts
    • 43,153 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Oh Frith sweetie, sorry to hear bigger son is being nasty. I hope he wakes up and realises how hurtful he's being and makes up with you and smaller son. Hugs xx
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 15th Sep 17, 7:03 AM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 12,166 Thanks
    villagelife
    Frith - hope bigger son comes home soon.

1. At work people knowing what needs to be done and arranging appropriate investigations.

2. Waiting to speak to someone at work and someone walked past and offered me some fudge. The last who offered it to me is lovely and so helpful and puts herself out to do what needs to be done. It's a shame that she works in a different depart and I don't see her often.

3. Talked to my parents - they have offered to pay for us to go on holiday next year. We have to see if it is feasible with various things.

4. Went out for a meal. Found a parking space immediately and It was the only one left in the car park. Good meal and got a doggy bag which DS2 finished off when we got home.

5. Tidied a cupboard in the bathroom which I've been putting off for a while. It didn't take long and not sure why I've avoided it for so long.
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 15th Sep 17, 10:28 AM
    • 2,743 Posts
    • 31,924 Thanks
    mhagster
    Hurrah for Friday!

Straight out after work to meet a friend for breakfast, had sourdough toast & bacon...schlurp. I've not been eating much bread past 6 weeks.

Then up to pharmacy to pick up sandals ( not glamourous but the most comfy pair ever) . Were half price but they couldn't find the matching sandal to the one in the box ( shop being refurbished ) so got them for 1/3 of what they cost as I had to wait till it was found

Home for a bit and then back out to meet our friendly pain doctor...back to cafe again. Second hot chocolate of the day. Lovely afternoon with her.

Home just as a thunder storm started. I'd much rather be in than out in one.

Son helped me by digging up the fig tree and mandarin tree for friends to take tomorrow . Not leaving them for landlords!

Took a small bag of stuff to salvos...my house..the gift that keeps on giving.

Have a good Friday
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 15th Sep 17, 12:13 PM
    • 4,536 Posts
    • 27,324 Thanks
    The Few
    5 Well the piggy bank has texted me this very morning telling me, and ifs yous has bin reading about the total lack of wobbleade chits this week, that I don’t have very many pennies in their vault. In fact, not enuff to keep the wolves from the door and if I don’t raid my penny jar, they’ll be big trouble by half an hour past the three o’clock this very day, then tells me in no uncertain terms that my balance is enough to get absolutely blotto tonight! ‘BoP your balance is loadsa of wobbleade chits!’
    Good that technology gets atop of these things. See notes passim about software writers!

4 As there are enough wobbleade chits in my piggy bank now, I am in serious need of thinking about the Big Warster train! Maybe tomorrow night. Was at club camera last night and feel far better from driving the projector from the rear! Got hom;e to watch the highlights of the Arsenal and chaos! In Arsene we trust.

3 Car of BoP today is having its winter tyres put on, well new tyres, we do not need these winter tyre gimmicks here. As for ready for winter, as reported in BoP notes recently, BoPsie tootsies again this morning where tickled as the radiator was on for a while! All cosy and ready and snug. Got it?

2 Day BoP is in his BoB top for the RAFBF. No Germans have been sighted! After the Boer War ended in May 1902, the Battle of Britain was the only battle that Britain won in the 20th century without American support.

Are getting fewer

As you are aware that BoP stopped watching tv news at 21:33Z 1982-05-03, when the tv was thrown through the window of the ARC! Today is no different!

Edit

BoP has just checked out the rip off gas and leccie for you and if you need a fix, my supplier has a Jan 19 fix for you. Costs about £1.50 more a month than the cheapest, but they allow tariff hopping once you are with them and the £20 a year you save going with the cheapest rogue, is blown out by the £60 they steal from you to switch!

Scottish Power 16 month fix Jan 19. Get it now!

3 Bed detatched
    3,300 kWh Electric
    11,000 kWh Heating (Gas or Electric)
    1,500 kWh Cooking (Gas or Electric)
    Advice given by BoP in relation to keeping your toes warm is all part of the BoP service
    Last edited by Blackbeard of Perranporth; 15-09-2017 at 12:51 PM.
    Watching the trail
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 15th Sep 17, 10:10 PM
    • 3,054 Posts
    • 34,486 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Friiiiiiiidaaaaaay
    1) found an unloved and unopened pack of buckwheat in the cupboard. used instead of pasta in salad. was scrummy
    2) have since looked up the health benefits of buckwheat. apparently it is related to rhubarb and is gluten-free. am wondering if i can cook 5 portions and freeze for packed lunch. web gives conflicting answers
    3) colleague gave me a fun-size pack of maltesers. more yum
    4) called in at mum's on way home - she just happened to have some beef stew and potatoes left over. she doesn't now ;-)
    5) just as i finished my supper girls phoned from bridge to see if mum could give them a lift from the station which we could so we did.
    tomorrow is saturday. lie in yay
    • Frith
    • By Frith 15th Sep 17, 10:58 PM
    • 4,191 Posts
    • 39,125 Thanks
    Frith
    Quick pleasures for today as am tired.

1) Not a bad sleep, apart from the 1am texts from bigger son asking me to pick him up. No, was the answer to that, as it would mean waking up smaller son. I told him to stay there overnight and I would collect him in the morning. So he walked home, getting in some time after 3am. :-/

2) Cleaned the hens out and they were on fine form.

3) Sweetcorn from the allotment for lunch, picked then boiled within minutes.

4) Big tea of golden vegetable soup (cooked by smaller son at school yesterday), cauliflower and macaroni cheese then raspberries off the allotment with yoghurt.

5) Smaller son started back at football practice and scored an amazing goal!

6) Bigger son went to work and does not have to work tomorrow after all, so he can go to the Game Fair.

7) Enjoyed watching Gogglebox and in bed now.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 16th Sep 17, 7:32 AM
    • 2,743 Posts
    • 31,924 Thanks
    mhagster
    A day of much weather again, just in from a dog walk and the rain has poured down. Was lashing and lashing this morning then brightened up and very windy so that's when the washing went out .

Chat with friend from home.

Grocery shopping. $10 off with loyalty points.

A few nice dog walks all between the showers.

Friend came to take 2 leather chairs over to other friends in her ute as we couldn't get it in their car last week. Gave them plants, piles of coverless magazines and a pine blanket box that a naughty DD2 enscribed her name in many years ago.

The joy of getting my hair up in a ponytail. My hair never really grows very long and this is the longest it's been in a while. Cut and colour in a few weeks.

It's very quiet . Son away climbing, DD1 at work and Dd2 in preparation for a party...a whole days effort apparently

Some more free things picked up.

Have a good day
    • Sj62
    • By Sj62 16th Sep 17, 9:01 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 442 Thanks
    Sj62
    No chance to type up yesterday so Friday's pleasures were

1. Getting into the local sauna and steam room half price, leading to
    2. The horrible, lingering cold is now shifting!
    3. Washing on the line. Odd that in this day and age, such a simple old fashioned pleasure is so recurrent
    4. Saturday's chicken cooked tonight, saving time and effort tomorrow
    5. Another day's postponement of the heating having to go on properly
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 16th Sep 17, 9:31 AM
    • 1,527 Posts
    • 17,964 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Friday pleasures,

Time with the lovely Lulu, lunged her and discovered she only goes one way and was very confused when asked to change direction! Then she fell asleep in the sun whilst I gave her a good groom

Home and Capt S had cleaned all indoor windows

Made Bara Birth so the house smelt delicious.

Evening walk with the dogs and somehow we dodged the heavy showers.

Fell asleep on the sofa and staggered up around 11ish which is late for me!
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 16th Sep 17, 10:04 AM
    • 4,754 Posts
    • 43,153 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Ahhhh Lulu must been really enjoying her groom. I can do the same when getting my hair washed and massaged at the hairdressers (back when I used to spend extra on a hairwash, nowadays it's just a wet cut )

Friday's pleasures.....

1. A child telling the whole class he'd had an amazing week in our class

2. Another child excitedly telling me he'd gone on t'internet with his mum and he'd done his homework! (Shared this one in the staffroom and they were amazed as home is not as supportive as it could be)

3. A big thank you from the little girl whose toy cat I managed to get picked up from school the evening before. I knew she would need JC's cuddles, as I would have been the same about leaving my teddy bear at school.

4 . A truly blissful night chez KW; we cooked a scrumptious meal together, drank very cheap but nice red wine and listened to great music

5. A bag of 9p carrots and £4 wine helped with the above, nice and cheap and very, very cheerful!!
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 16th Sep 17, 2:18 PM
    • 4,536 Posts
    • 27,324 Thanks
    Runner
    5 Was on the Train of Big to Warster last nite. Wobbleades were consumed and a large mixed gorilla was wolfed down. Tum was rubbed. Nice. Now thing is on way there and back the professional collector of change was there, as usual, slumped on the exit on the steps he looks impressive in rags, but boy can he shift!

4 Breakfast this morning was the usual best back, with buttered pan mushrooms, grilled toms, fried tatties and poached egg! Proper food just like last night. Now I did not make it until BoPsie got up and it will teach her! She normally idles until the bacon stirs her up. Today I refused to do it until she was up! So there. It was not early, and she has a saw head!

3 Kick Off time and as usual I will ... PM2DD We is on a roll!

2 Nite BoP will be watching leather on willow again as England take on the windies!

Runner, yes how fast he shifts after he has collected from the London train!
    Watching the trail
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 16th Sep 17, 8:44 PM
    • 3,054 Posts
    • 34,486 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    PM2DD 2-1 all round and we're both on the up
    1) lie in - woken by fitbit saying it's 8:50 and you haven't done your 250 steps this hour. lol.
    2) lazy morning - washing out, house cleaned, more house sorting done (fave hoodie found), archers caught up on, fridge sorted, the usual. ds and gf came to visit and walked the boys so haven't been further than the garden
    3) newsquiz 'there's a hole in my bucket, welcome to britain'. rofl
    4) £25 from ernie, thanks love, nice you remembered little ol' me
    5) finding out jeans from CS (£1.99) are from an american range starting at £139. now i'd say they're nice, but really? over a ton for a pair of denims? anyway, they were practically unworn so i not complaining
    catching up on cold feet with a very cheeky red (not a drop has passed my lips since last night of the proms).
    • Frith
    • By Frith 17th Sep 17, 12:52 AM
    • 4,191 Posts
    • 39,125 Thanks
    Frith
    Quick pleasures for today (Saturday).

1) A bit of a lie in.

2) Bigger son went to the Game Fair.

3) Smaller son and I had a couple of games of football.

4) Hens well.

5) Cooked lots more windfall apples for the freezer.

6) Swept and tidied the garden.

7) Tidied up, emptied the bins, did lots of washing, cleaned the bathroom.

8) Part baked rolls for lunch (a smaller son favourite) then dahl for tea followed by pear in caramel sauce. (Not the Worcestershire pears I found the other day as they can last another month on the windowsill).

9) Watched Casualty.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

66Posts Today

3,509Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin