Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,054Posts
    • 34,486Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 28
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 12th Sep 17, 6:48 AM
    • 4,537 Posts
    • 27,331 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Grumpy!
    Grrrrr. No pleasures today! Taxman has removed pennies from my piggy bank. And he took a third more than last time. Please think of BoPsie today not being fed and send Wobbleade chits to support her needs.
    Watching the trail
    of cheap supermarket bags filled with a lfe gone by
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 12th Sep 17, 7:06 AM
    • 1,080 Posts
    • 12,182 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Journey too work not too bad as roadworks and a closed motorway meant it could have been awful.

2. Support of some collegues. Line manager left 15 minutes early as myself and the other person there she line managers were working still. In a week or so she will somehow find a couple of hours time in lieu to take.

3. Slightly later home due to traffic but still light enough to let chickens out.

4. Tea from freezer and DS2 made himself salad.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 12th Sep 17, 8:47 AM
    • 1,529 Posts
    • 17,993 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Some Monday pleasures,

Waking up with plenty of energy and zapping through the house on a general catch up.

Soup making and filling the freezer with lots of healthy lunches.

The dogs winter coats coming through, they go from milk chocolate to plain

Hung the curtain up at back door and found the draft excluder, winter prepping.

Fish papilotte for tea with sliced pots and fennel, yum.
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 12th Sep 17, 9:58 AM
    • 2,744 Posts
    • 31,941 Thanks
    mhagster
    lainey my doggy is shedding his winter coat in anticipation of better weather but will be coming back to a UK winter , so not sure how that works!

Today has been a day of much to-ing and fro-ing...again!

Work, usual long 3 hours on a Tuesday but nice to walk to work in daylight now.

Back and forwards to salvos.

Had lunch with son.

Have found new homes for printer and scanner we no longer need and my lovely office sofa , where me and my dog have had many an afternoon snoozette! That person is also going to take my 2 carver chairs. These are free.

A few camping things up for sale. It was nice having an almost sale free week last week.

Sorted out my office. Sigh! I will miss my space , my desk, my view of the garden. Piles of coverless magazines zoned for certain friends which will be given this weekend .

Emailed my estate agent here as I hadn't had an official notice to quit and did not want to incur any charges. An extensive list of cleaning / tidying to be done prior to leaving! No cobwebs allowed inside or out!

A few nice dog walks in amongst the rain showers. Was actually very mild today. But too damp for washing to go out.

Had to phone hospital as Dd2 still in a lot more pain than we had expected. Nurse explained why that was so and advised some stronger pain meds. To call back on Friday if no improvement. She went back to school today but had to wait until I was in from work to be driven there and then had to drive back up later.

Nothing much for tea as had lunch out.

Have a good Tuesday
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 12th Sep 17, 12:04 PM
    • 4,537 Posts
    • 27,331 Thanks
    Still Grumpy
    PM2DD Three points tonight or they can all go take a flying leap. The Matt Tees autographed 1972 Champions booklet remains faded together with the tear stained scarf!

5 No, and it is going to take at least all day to rid myself of my grumpiness. Huh! Mind you kind Roger on twitnet has told me, personally, that I am a lucky being and well on the way to become a millionaire. Do you not think this is fantastic, I have already booked the lyceum ballroom for our party and all are invited. No kidding! All I have to do, and it is really quite simple, I am surprised none of you lot have got it, is send him $75 for his book! I mean, come on it is cheap, just like the future trader who comes up through a newspaper site every so often! He performs miracles with his con as well!

Thanks, Roger, but no thanks!

4 Was in my piste ready outfit last night and I tell you that if you see me on the slopes, you will be missing nothing!

Please note that going to the gym on Monday hurts. It hurts more than you think!

3 Brewed curry was for supper yesterday, and we have to eke it out no end as I have been cleaned out by the tax man. BoPsie at the moment could eat a horse, but that is not on in this country unless you get your meat from a cheap supermarket. Obviously as I am inn dire need of a decent quaff, please continue to think of sending wobbleade chits. Meagre rations of brewed curry will be served again today!

2 Nite I has to fix the car after a racing cyclist managed to smash into my door and wing mirror. Nearside as he flew off the cycle path to the left as I waited behind another car to pull out of BoP’s place. He was ok, but it would had been a lot better if he wore a helmet, had lights on and actually stopped racing to work, he could get there in time! Annoying as I have to pay to get it fixed, rather than chase him through my insurance! If I did, it would not do him any good as being young, it would only clean him out. Me, I can take it, but it is annoying to do so. Perhaps his pride will stop him doing it again, but I doubt it!

With that, I am about to
    Watching the trail
    • Sj62
    • By Sj62 12th Sep 17, 12:11 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 443 Thanks
    Sj62
    1. Sunshine in September in Scotland. Glorious
    2. Two loads of washing on the line
    3. A mug of tea, Agatha Christie and a huge slice of apple tart, eaten in the sunshine.
    4. Same Agatha Christie "Problem in Pollensa" last read 25 years ago on first holiday to Majorca where we were staying in Pollensa. Brought back lovely memories.
    5. Got the washing in before the rain started. Rain in September in Scotland, situation normal LOL
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 12th Sep 17, 9:06 PM
    • 1,716 Posts
    • 18,820 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    Mhags You are sounding very organised.

1 I watched dragonflies, moorhens and geese during my lunch break, while eating my packed lunch.
    2 I stopped in at Mr T’s on the way home to pick up their JD Honey offer for MIL, and happened to coincide with the meat counter reducing their ham great timing all snaffled, and a good deal had on the ferrets lactofree milk.
    3 Chicken and spaghetti for lunch.
    4 About to treat myself to some hotter plum pixie boots, in the hope of keeping the metalwork good and warm this winter.
    5 About to watch Father Brown on freeeview drama, ah bliss.
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 12th Sep 17, 9:43 PM
    • 4,537 Posts
    • 27,331 Thanks
    PM2DD #UTM. Like wolfs being clothed like sheep, it seems we lulled others into a false sense if security.

Managers are safe until 5 on Saturday!
    Watching the trail
    • Frith
    • By Frith 12th Sep 17, 10:51 PM
    • 4,193 Posts
    • 39,141 Thanks
    Frith
    Quick pleasures for today (Tuesday)

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Started off the PPI claim thingy through MSE. Not sure of any details as from some years ago, but we shall see...

3) Made 2 meal's worth of veg chilli, some now in freezer.

4) Hens well and picked courgettes and raspberries.

5) Got some pears from the Millennium Green but they are Worcesters so will need a few weeks to ripen then a few hours of boiling :-/

6) Went to see my school friend.

7) Watched Holby City.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 12th Sep 17, 11:14 PM
    • 3,054 Posts
    • 34,486 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Pm2bop win win bout time too
    1) had a computer, thesis, 2 iPads and chargers to take in addition to the normal so took Minnie (shopping trolley bought following vjsmum recommendation)
    2) lovely morning vivaing a PhD in dental education - pass with minor corrections
    3) then good natter over lunch. External was from KCL. He's going to Saudi in November to the same conference as me. Small world!
    4) met dd2 after work and we had tea at the braes. Very nice bacon sarnie and a pot of tea and quite gentle on the pocket
    5) then vestry - some potentially exciting things coming up
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 13th Sep 17, 6:11 AM
    • 1,608 Posts
    • 14,369 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    * DD2 and DS2 swept and cleaned the porch and walks.

* DD1 started a study group through her church. 12 in attendance and she came away happy to be enrolled with such nice people. It's generational which she really enjoyed. Youngest being 14 yrs.

* DD3 taught the little ones today at the private school she is employed with and was grateful to see growth from where they were last year.

* Had a couple who had heard how nice my new kitchen turned out come to take a look see. They live in the neighborhood and they have a house the same age as mine. Very nice couple.

* KFC $2.99 chicken fried steak dinner. It's Tuesday!!

Finally got an email on how to return a wrong sized rug pad...their mistake...
    The packing order showing it is the wrong size was not enough. I have to hold a tape measure up to the pad and send the picture. Grrr!
    Who said it was easy. [Coldplay]
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 13th Sep 17, 6:46 AM
    • 1,080 Posts
    • 12,182 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Long discussion with my manager at work. Much was sorted out and I am going to reduce my driving to one day a week. This will become permanent in December but temporary arrangement has been made until then. Other issues were discussed and I feel happier than I was. She understands more why I feel like I do and she explained her reasoning which isn't always what comes across.

2. Quiet evening at home. DH went to visit his Mum. Saves having to see her at the weekend.

3. DS2 went rugby training. He was worked hard and I found his moans amusing when he got home.

4. Tea cooked in the slow cooker so ready when I got home.

5. Watching Holby and then Bake off.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 13th Sep 17, 7:44 AM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 68,289 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Morning all - 'nother day 'nother train

Villagelife - glad the driving thing seems to be sorted
    DD - loves me shopping trolley, i does. Who needs gorilla arms?
    PK - metalwork?

Pleasures for last few

1. Kids still not that well - DD has done her back in, DS had a bout of norovirus or something like and is still not right. Mind, he doesn't help himself wolfing food down. When told it wasn't a good idea, he just said "It'll be alright, Bab" well, it wasn't alright Bab. I am now thinking we might have to delay uni departure by a day. Hmm, this isn't seeming like a pleasure.... so i'll start again

1. cleaned the house yesterday - took pretty much the whole day, but i was thorough in the rooms i did. All the bathroom tiles, descaled the showers etc..
    2. Did this while catching up some dramas - Liar and Dr Foster - on ipad
    3. Walked into town on Monday (with trolley) to do this weeks shopping. Trying to empty (or at least reduce volume in) freezers and cupboards. Managed to dodge the downpours
    4. SHopping with DS for new clothes (between his visits to the loo) quick but expensive
    5. Ditching DS's A level notes. THere's not much kondoing I am able to do at the moment so this was a bonus..

Have a nice day all.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 13th Sep 17, 9:08 AM
    • 1,529 Posts
    • 17,993 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Pleased to read about your positive meeting Villagelife.

Tuesday pleasures,

Tilly at the vet for annual check up, received full bill of health but she makes me laugh as tends to tuck her head under my arm and pretends it's not happening

Pilates class, good to stretch.

Surprise visit from youngest hollow legged one before he heads back to Uni.

Lulu following me around the field as I poo-picked it, she's really rather sweet.

Bake off and book at bedtime.
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 13th Sep 17, 9:39 AM
    • 2,744 Posts
    • 31,941 Thanks
    mhagster
    Hello, a full 12 hours of daylight today.

Work...half way through the week.

Had a rather lazy day which was probably much needed. Caught up on some telly, some snoozing.

Made cottage pie . DD1 was selling doughnuts at uni for the the charity they support so brought some home for pud. I had a bite of one and it was far too sickly sweet. So I stopped at that!

All items sold pending pick up from yesterday's sales and another load on today.

Have a good day . I'm off to bed shortly.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 13th Sep 17, 10:29 PM
    • 4,758 Posts
    • 43,163 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Yesterday and today....

1. KW and I mutually supported each other yesterday when we'd both had niggly work days.

2. DD was fabulous to offload to today, when it was a less positive day (the class are AWESOME, the amount of new things to remember/expectations to adhere to is getting a tad scary. I know it'll all fall into place, but it's a lot to cope with at once!)

3. Watched Holby with KW So glad I'm in love with a fellow fan, although he gets squeamish during the operations, lol.

4. Started introducing my class to the song that we're going to learn to sign in an assembly later this term. They are really eager

5. Gave the class lots of house points for awesome behaviour, especially during PE! Teaching is so much easier when I'm not having to stop every few minutes to regain order....

6. We had an impromptu extra-long lunch break as a flying team (not the red arrows) were doing a bit of a show at a local farm, and just happened to keep flying over school. The kids were sooooo excited, as were we
    Marmite jar savings £97.15
    House deposit savings £50513.60
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 13th Sep 17, 10:48 PM
    • 1,716 Posts
    • 18,820 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    Vjsmum, metalwork in my leg - not random metalwork with shoes on which is what I just thought of. I ordered them and they are out of stock despite clearly saying they are in stock, hurumph shoe shopping is never simples.

1 Well I have been extended for another month in a very bizarre conversation, while I am not wildly enthused about the horrible commute, it’s a nice place, and there is leigh way for a work at home day once a week, which makes up for the tiring commute, and in my head, I also saw several large bills looming up.
    2 Faggots and veggies tonight.
    3 Clean bedding is on, old bedding plodding through the machine.
    4 Just refreshed the bird feeders.
    5 Looking forward to a soak.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 13th Sep 17, 11:15 PM
    • 4,193 Posts
    • 39,141 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Wednesday).

1) Not a bad sleep apart from woken a couple of times by a storm 1-2am.

2) Hens well.

3) Archaeology! Not a bad set up at all. I spent the morning recording auger holes with Brummie Larry Grayson and Brummie Ray Winstone. The afternoon trowelling a floor with some ladies and a man who has exactly the same black hair/dark eyes/deathly colour as I do and who I at first thought was my brother!

4) Bigger son actually enjoyed a lecture at college! (fanfare) and walked to the other block some distance away to meet a school friend who is studying music.

The rural upbringing is proving a nuisance. He gets lost all the time as he can't work out which street goes where. He didn't get on the bus today because he asked if it went to our village. I have explained so many times that 3 buses run from the city just after 4pm, drive for 45 minutes and stop 5 miles from our house. Then you get off and get on the right one, as they all branch off up different little lanes.

Because the driver said it went as far as the stop, then he would have to change, he decided he didn't have enough money! He didn't realise that your ticket home didn't cover both buses.

So I had a quick drive into town to pick him up...

5) Veg chilli (made yesterday) and rice for tea.

6) Watched the GBBO.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 13th Sep 17, 11:27 PM
    • 1,608 Posts
    • 14,369 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    * My darling middle daughter is so supportive and it is a real blessing to have her here, although the circumstances of that happening are awful. She has retained a lawyer who says she has a very strong case. None of the men who actually falsified paperwork were demoted. Just the one female who turned them in....it sux to be a whistleblower. Follow the rules and get kicked in the teeth.

* Stew is simmering and I just have to make quesadillas.

* Quoye!
    Her mom says she's getting kind of rough from playing with so many boys at Bosque school. It's good for her. She's learning to stick up for herself too.

* Free days ahead to myself. At least three. Seldom happens and I am looking forward to it immensely!! No cooking. Channel changer to myself. A much needed break from OH! I'm going to start a new diet.

* The days are cooler
    Last edited by milasavesmoney; 14-09-2017 at 2:38 AM.
    Who said it was easy. [Coldplay]
    • bagpuss38
    • By bagpuss38 13th Sep 17, 11:39 PM
    • 604 Posts
    • 3,543 Thanks
    bagpuss38
    Frith I put in a claim with nothing but the company name and last four digits of account number. Cheque arrived today some 10 days later for £535

Weds pleasures

1. Crumpets for breakfast at least 50% butter
    2. Busy day at work, still I survived.
    3. Made a big boo boo with my direct debits,however a bit of jigging has meant we shall be fed until payday.
    4. As stated above cheque arriving, timing is perfect m
    5. Tea, biscuits and catch up tv.

Night all xx
    SIMPLY BE-££577.11
    Very BNPL - £353.00
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

286Posts Today

3,566Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin