Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,102Posts
    • 34,995Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 25
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 5th Sep 17, 10:50 PM
    • 3,102 Posts
    • 34,995 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    1) nice coffee at 8:30 meeting
    2) nice lunch at workshop
    3) coffee at uni library ha gone down 25p. Bit annoyed wasn't allowed to use own cup though (trying to be Eco friendly)
    4) met dd2 after work. She started at abertay Monday
    5) we got a pepper grinder from mr l. My last 3, all refillable, have worn out. This one isn't refillable so hopefully won't wear out before it's empty
    • Frith
    • By Frith 5th Sep 17, 11:09 PM
    • 4,261 Posts
    • 39,728 Thanks
    Frith
    Argh, smaller son was such hard work today. Questioning constantly, accusing me of lying if he didn't like the answers, swearing. All signs of rising anxiety but all very annoying!

Pleasures for today:

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Into steam train town for son haircuts. All very short and tidy now.

3) Then to carpet town to buy smaller son a new school bag.

4) Hens OK.

5) Smaller son went to local football match with his friends.

6) I made Welsh cakes and we watched GBBO. Bigger son was getting ready for his first day at college tomorrow. He's quite excited! In fact he's just got out of bed to tell me about it!

7) Vaguely making plans for catching up when they're both back at school (next Monday onwards).
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 6th Sep 17, 6:28 AM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 12,846 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Work happened.

2. Found DS2 rugby boots. He,of course, only thought to look for them two minutes before he had to leave to go to rugby training. He enjoyed it.

3. Found icepack in freezer for DS2 ankle which he sprained.

4. Quiet evening in as DH late in too. Needed time to try and fix my back. Not very successfully.

5. Tea from the freezer.
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 6th Sep 17, 9:59 AM
    • 2,791 Posts
    • 32,497 Thanks
    mhagster
    Mhagster has cooked dinner! First time in what seems like an age but is probably a week! Lovely chicken pie.

Started work at silly o'clock. But finished earlier.

Met friend at my cafe for a change as she's on holiday this week. Good to catch up. Had a very nice lactose free hot chocolate.

Bit of an all day headache that didn't shift despite pain killers. Had a lie down on the inch thick mattress but friend from Sydney called so chatted with her.

Chap came to buy roof box.

Then went to lie on DD2's very comfortable bed!

Made pie and ate pie.

Hospital tomorrow , my friend ( our pain doctor ) is going to come visit us. Having an overnight stay as DD2 has a procedure . So need to go and pack my bag as straight out after I finish work tomorrow. It's not at local hospital but we can get a shuttle bus from there.

Have a good day
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 6th Sep 17, 11:35 AM
    • 4,844 Posts
    • 69,817 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Morning from the train back from town of gown.

Pleasures for conference

1. catching up with old colleagues - being treated a little like a prodigal returning by them and other conference aquaintances.
    2. Presentation of paper went really well. i am so familiar with the content that i feel it is all kind of obvious now - feedback suggests that it is a new idea.. Also my presentation was better than that of my supervisor
    3. Dinner at Gonville and Caius (pronounced keys) college. Very Harry Potter and the champagne was real!
    4. Very nice food all weekend and too much wine.
    5. learned alot. Did some very good networking, it makes me uncomfortable to network but i felt ok with it.

Looking forward to getting home.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 6th Sep 17, 12:08 PM
    • 4,654 Posts
    • 28,071 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Keep people as pets.
    Frith. Don’t win against someone who does not like losing. Just play the game and lose. That way your opponent thinks they have won, when actually you’ve let them do so! Then occasionally when they get a tad cotchy, you just win once! That way they don’t realise that you are still in control of the game, taking the pawns and lining up the queen. Eying up their every move.

5 Naff. The ernie bank and its lapse security is carp. Please avoid NSI. Again after asking for the inside leg measurement and BoPsie’s bra size and getting it wrong, I have successfully been logged out, completely. Nice not! Well yestday, they said I had been successful in resetting my password while I was shovelling the fires with coal. Not me, so rang them. It appears that if I get BoPsie bra size wrong, or any of the other nine stupid remarks while looking at your money, on more than one occasion, you are locked out without recourse. They then send you a letter with your new log in password. Good. Not, this letter also contains your NSI number, which is needed to log in, as well as your postcode and last name!

Mine was nicked by a crook working for Royal Mail, and they not only got into my account, but reset the passwords and could walk off with my cash!

So for all their security on changing a payment method, and asking for BoPsie’s bra size, one letter allows a crook to get in no problem. One for the information commissioner!

4 After their attempt to walk off with my pennies, I headed off to shop of wobbleade and watched The Maggie! A puffer!

3 At mill the offerings of sugared candy donuts has appeared again. Fortunately BoP does not have a taste for this food and the amount of sugar in the items should mean they stay fresh for a day before going soild. Avoid.

2 Nite BoP will be showing his piste ready body at the gym, then heading home to get the chicken out. Tomorrow will be chicken roulette, food of the gods and BoP. Recipe was available on here last week!

Have no regrets!
    I soled my last sock
    For a whiff of your cheap perfume filled with hope of tears gone by
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 6th Sep 17, 7:58 PM
    • 4,817 Posts
    • 43,436 Thanks
    Kittikins
    1. Great first day with my new class It was the calmest, loveliest start to the year I've experienced so far. Long may that continue

2. Nearly a NSD, but I treated the classroom to a lovely book to put our class lunchtime prayers in as they wrote them so beautifully, and it is the first money I've spent on my classroom so far.

3. Feeling tired but happy, DD also had a great start to her year, so I'm planning on fulfilling her wish to go to the cinema on Saturday afternoon.

4. Because we were doing getting to know you/setting up the class stuff, no marking tonight, woop woop!!

5. Big cuddles with MissKitty
    Marmite jar savings £43
    House deposit savings £52,000
    • Frith
    • By Frith 6th Sep 17, 11:44 PM
    • 4,261 Posts
    • 39,728 Thanks
    Frith
    A tiring day today.

1) Not a bad sleep, just rather shorted than recent sleeps as it had to end at 7.

2) Bigger son off to college on the bus with a cheery wave.

3) Hens well and picked a large bowl of raspberries.

4) Bigger son phoned as he had finished at 1 so smaller son and I had a pleasant and sunny journey over to pick him up (college 15 miles away with 1 bus per day...)

Things then went a bit pear shaped. Bigger son's days will end at 4.30 with the one and only bus home leaving at 4.20. There is another bus that goes half way, leaving at 6.15. If he was to catch that, he would not get home until after 7pm. Which is hard going when you have to catch your bus at 7.30am. And you'd have to wait 1 hour 45 each day after college, by yourself.

Off we trundled back into college. No one could help. No one knew if he could leave 10 minutes earlier, if only perhaps half the time. We spoke to 3 people. No news yet. I suggested we look at carpet town college where there is at least a bus every 2-3 hours. Sudden tears from bigger son so we went for a cup of tea in the cathedral.

No idea what to do about this.

5) To cheer ourselves up, we popped to see the best hen supplier in the world. http://www.newlandpoultry.com/

6) A fairly quiet evening at home and smaller son is back at school tomorrow. Bigger son not in college again until Monday.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 7th Sep 17, 1:37 AM
    • 1,618 Posts
    • 14,483 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    * I spent the morning in the divorce lawyer's office...no not for me. (I know I was flapping around about OH last week but after 30 yrs I'm in it for the long haul )
    My friend needed my help and so did her attorney. They both called me to come down to his office. She doesn't speak English very well and had her sister and SIL there to translate but by the time I got there everyone was very upset, including the lawyer. Misunderstanding all the way around. So I got that sorted and took the three women to brunch. Whew! The pleasure is she still has a lawyer and he still has a client.

* Made a chocolate cake with chocolate icing which DH had with ice cream. He looks like Raffles after a newt excursion.

* Paperwork is coming along, laundry done, dawgs fed, OH fed, house is clean. I'm feeling almost organized.

* Stocking up on good breakfast sausage now on sale at a very good price. Last month was bacon.

* New zucchini and yellow squash casserole was pretty good.

My cousin lives in Florida and is in prep mode for the coming Irma. Her generator is ready to go and everything else is prepared. But sometimes that isn't enough. She lives in Clearview which faces into the Gulf of Mexico. It's still too early to know if that's good or bad. Right now it looks like this hurricane may hit the entire state.
    Last edited by milasavesmoney; 07-09-2017 at 1:52 AM.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
    • house elf
    • By house elf 7th Sep 17, 6:03 AM
    • 565 Posts
    • 7,964 Thanks
    house elf
    Morning Chaps!

Frith: Thanks for posting hen shop. It would be a lovely trip out if we need some more hens when DD returns from abroad (She eats lots of eggs, and only 1 hen laying at the mo!).....DS1 - sense says he leaves to catch the 4:20pm bus!

Mila: spent much of yesterday watching Irma progress across the Caribbean , as the Grandma of my TA has a house in St Kitts and a house in Florida!

1. Classes we had yesterday were great fun.

2. TA's have been a Godsend.

3. DS2 has had his braces taken off. Now has a beautiful smile.

4. New duty rota.......my lunchtime duty is inside school! Yay!

5. Went to Doctors about feeling down. He was lovely, and gave me some good advice. Had a good cry. Will plod on. I'm just not very resilient

DS1 starting 6th form today. He has ironed all his shirts and polished his shoes. Who stole my boy?

Have a lovely day
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 7th Sep 17, 8:26 AM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 12,846 Thanks
    villagelife
    Yesterday came and went. Back pain was bad and off work today because of it. The pain is aggravated by driving especially journey over 40 minutes which is what happens 2 says a week at work. My manager isn't interested in considering any alternative.

1. Support from a colleague.

2. Reading my book on bus to and from work and it was on time.

3. DS2 cooked toad in the hole for tea.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 7th Sep 17, 8:42 AM
    • 1,678 Posts
    • 19,869 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Sorry to hear Villagelife, can a HR type person help at all?

Wednesday pleasures,

Woke up to a bright, sunny day so decision made to take dogs to the beach

Watching my old dog enjoy herself splashing in the sea and running along the beach, gladdened my heart can tell you.

Sleepy, sandy dogs on the backseat.

Made up supper of various store cupboard components, Capt S said you must do this again, err....

Book at bedtime, it's the latest trick for drifting off to sleep!
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 7th Sep 17, 8:56 AM
    • 2,791 Posts
    • 32,497 Thanks
    mhagster
    Hello from the noisiest ward I've ever been in...none of your 2 to a bed like it was in the olden days when I was a nurse. Next bed have at least 8 people around! And all their own food which has very strong smells. Never mind DD it's making me nauseous!

In a room with other children who all have noisy iPads as well as noisy visitors! And the occasional screaming child. The nurse who's just back today after 6 weeks in the Greek islands is hoping it quietens down!

My work was crazy this morning. Absolutely bonkers. Boss and I just kept shaking our heads. Was nice to start at 6.30am instead of 5.45 or 6am and it was daylight when I walked to work which was lovely with a big shiny full moon still in the sky.

When the hospital internet knows you still logged in from when OH was in . Different hospital, same health board.

Have a good day
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 7th Sep 17, 9:19 AM
    • 3,102 Posts
    • 34,995 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    morning all. just catching up on your news, including lovely pictures of hens, which has considerably brightened a dreich day. and so for yesterday
    1) free cake - one should never look free cake in the mouth, nor indeed when it goes into your mouth - will undoubtedly reappear on the hips but was lish
    2) took a coffee in my travel mug down to city campus meeting, thus saving £1.50. every little helps (and had been annoyed the previous day when they wouldn't let me put the coffee in the travel mug, wasting a paper cup. so yesterday was greener
    3) invited to launch of Lifelong Learning Dundee which has taken over the running of non-credit bearing short courses from the Uni but the Uni is still supporting via free classroom space
    4) good catch-up with old friends (my first connection with the uni was as chair of the student extra mural association as it was called then. also long chat to the VP of L&T. always useful.
    5) then some of us (not VP) went to Ciao Sorrento which is a very nice Italian restaurant, small and always fully booked. and mr piano very kindly picked me and mum up. thank you mr piano
    • Sj62
    • By Sj62 7th Sep 17, 12:08 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    Sj62
    Not at work at present and weather dreich here also but enjoying nice cup of tea and slice of cake from Aldi. Not old school but cheap and tasty.
    Dishes up to speed and washing machine and drier powered by solar panels so basically free
    Found winter curtains during Kondo clear out of cupboard and ready to hang after the tea. They are heavier weight but nice light colour to help brighten north facing living room..
    Cutting coupons for next time out - cheap, cheap deal on Irn Bru - basically drink of the Gods if you're from these parts
    Wardrobe tidied and summer clothes put away and rediscovered my favourite old cardigan. Don't care if it's necessary yet, am cooried in for the afternoon
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 7th Sep 17, 12:14 PM
    • 4,844 Posts
    • 69,817 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Morning

Pleasures for yesterday

1. I survived it - felt rather 'delicate' all day on the waggon for a while now
    2. had hair done
    3. had fish and chips (from the freezer) for tea
    4. long lost family
    5. early- ish night.

have a good day all
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 7th Sep 17, 12:21 PM
    • 4,654 Posts
    • 28,071 Thanks
    We’re ridden of them
    Mila. They are called snorkers. Got it!
    Free cake, there’s a sweetener if you need one!

5 Joyous scenes at the mill. Remember a few months passim we had humane remains come down to the boiler room and we shoved, well shovelled them, into the cupbored. Well today we has seen them off the premises. Gone from the boiler room. Obviously it was far too hot for them! Good riddance, as with the educationalists, social workers, and softies, where the heat and the furnaces make money, they run! The wobbleade emporium beckons inn celebration. Copious amounts will be shared amongst the stokers.
    Much joy is shared in the boiler room.

Minds me of previous foundry when every August, the cull would occur. One in ten off the roundabout and tossed out. Except the stokers, that is, the devil likes his fires lit. Well we had one from humane remains who cherished at the cull and her nickname was big bird. It fitted, as she was quite tall. Then one year as she handed out the notes, with the choice, you’re gone. You can sweat for ninety days or go now, most would pick up their bag, pack their shovel, and walk! After her yearly round, she headed back to the gaffers office, and received notice herself. Joyous scenes there as I recall as she left with the knitter she had just rid us of! I still wander what happened to her!
    That’s why it pays to sweat and shovel, rather than be trouble.

4 Talking of sweat in our sweatshop, I am often asked why my team of stokers is so cool and good, and the other shift is terrible! It is because of my spirit and enthusiasm, team bonding and the like. You think it’s all corporate stuff! Actually we get slaughtered inn the wobbleade emporium every so often while gorging on a curry. Well nearly, but I always treat it as I do not get the team I want, I have the team I have got. Simple! Well in that way, if I know that the end game is fires burning brightly and the steam pressure high, then I have to get the best out of them. One way is never ever ever berate them! Thank them, even if you know they are wrong. That encourages them to work for you, and as the chess pieces move around the bored, you know your queen will soon plough up the pawns. By thanking them, they will feel part of your team, and come with you. Even if you’re wrong as well.
    That way, my team has come a long way shovelling the coal in the boiler room. Oh, the result. One of our bits that is fitted to the kite has achieved its certs. The next is on its way!

3 OK of me BoPtificating, now on to other good things that make you happy! Tonight is the return of club of the camera, and as we has new projector and lap top thing, and I can drive from the back this year, should be fun. Especially if we go without a mishap! More later. Mind you, I got away with it over the years, so should be no different.

2 Nite before the all events and back row driving, we has chicken roulette. And as I has bin a tad grumpy this week, it will cause a stink. Hot it is then. Other meals are available! BoPsie is quite looking forward to her lashings of chicken roulette!

The party is about to start!
    I soled my last sock
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 7th Sep 17, 3:36 PM
    • 2,992 Posts
    • 18,290 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    5 Now that BoP has battered down the door of mse and beaten the softies and is back in. This means that pictures of proper food are back. Eat this!

Can you guess what is for dinner?
    Originally posted by Blackbeard of Perranporth

Vegetable suet BoP... whats up with good old beef suet !

Pleasures

1. worked a short day on Tuesday and came home to puppy cuddles

2. DS has safely arrived in us, fingers crossed hurricane misses them !!

3. puppy has been meeting lots of dogs on her walks and is getting less nervous

4. took her for a walk last night to the park and the grass had been cut and she was bouncing around on it and throwing clumps of it around

5. we just met a bassett hound over by the pond and lots of mums on the way back home who were heading for the school to pick up their kids. One lovely lady stopped to chat outside then half an hour later knocked my door as I had left my keys in the lock outside Thankfully I have nothing worth nicking except our dog but they could have driven off in my car.. must be more careful when coming in from dog walks !!
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    3. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 7th Sep 17, 5:29 PM
    • 4,654 Posts
    • 28,071 Thanks
    Chicken Roulette
    Vegetable suet BoP... whats up with good old beef suet !
    Originally posted by Skint yet Again
    Ouch! Well Jenny would have a word about that!

Proper food, again! Please note the flames, brimming the pan, not licking the bottom!

2-0 Against Skint. Goodnight!
    Last edited by Blackbeard of Perranporth; 07-09-2017 at 5:33 PM.
    I soled my last sock
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 7th Sep 17, 10:28 PM
    • 3,102 Posts
    • 34,995 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    1) early into work. Enjoyed 30 mins on my own
    2) examining PhD Tuesday so snuck off to vacant office to read through. Sssshhhh don't tell
    3) good lunch time meetin
    4) finished read through 7:30 which means I missed the rain. Phoned dad while I walked home
    5) so home late. Wondering what to do for tea when mr piano arrived home and cooked scrummy chicken and lentils.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,750Posts Today

9,109Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Sadly for those buying jointly "Where there are joint purchasers, all purchasers would need to be first-time buyers. "

• First time buyers usually defined as someone who has never owned or part owned a property https://t.co/yM3urZNs8z

• You will not pay stamp duty https://t.co/vHoCWiUXfo

• Follow Martin