Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,155Posts
    • 35,620Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 106
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 11th Feb 18, 8:05 PM
    • 8,343 Posts
    • 32,338 Thanks
    ampersand
    Will just put heating on, then set down some osps.
    In no particular order -

1. Checked on the RNZAF grave in cemetery, after très nul jumble sale yday. Many bulbs poked in by & are spearing through. Will spread some precious & compost[15 yrs old] around the headstone next time.

2. Suddenly tired during yday's 6 Nations. Was up on Gallops, so came away. Wales were robbed, but failure to take penalties, put on points, didn't help. Nor did a glory try bid. In bed by 18h with scrummy endive/cheesy sauce/ham+bacon use-ups dish, made Friday[a gorgeous paysan variant]. 2 hwbs made & comfortably warm and glad. Some reading, some listening, some sleeping, ended this morning with Von Ribbentrop's Watch on r4x.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00f8zvc
    Heard before, still good.

3. How bitter it was at Trumpy today! Was there 0620h. Surprising, exceeding forecast chill and despite much preparedness by all, & included. Beautiful lowering crescent moon en route. Caught up with M as new mob. remains unfound. Had to advise sthg. Possibly one decent find, an interesting rough sketch, sepia pastel/sanguine, labouring male life studies...on verra.

4. As & knelt at Communion rail, down fluttered peacock butterfly, stayed wings out, moth-style, in one shaft of sunlight. Special.

5. Lunched on gloriously thick veg. soup of rtcs, made the other day, then headed for The Alma and &'s sacred hexagone v. Scotland. Great match. Both desperately needed to win. Friendly Alma greetings are lovely and we all caught up/chatted during dragging 2nd half of quins v. wasps. Unanimity groans as always re:W.Barnes as ref. No wonder & self-justified order of choc. brownie, hot choc. and took no merlot until Les Bleus took the field. Happy treat afternoon, including no parking ticket. On arrival, & simply walked in without a thought of meter. No idea why. 1st time for everything. Patron alert...& rushed out...lovely man actually helped & put in her £1.50 for rest of day. Truly decent.
    Did he see &'s VOTE LABOUR poster which still graces one Meriva window?:-))))
    Qui sait? Just very, very grateful. Fenboys expenses expected tmrw AND new trolley needed before next Spits.
    #
    & must eat, prep. hwbs and it'll be another early night for another early start with commuter grind en route.
    Lovely post dfv, as always - what is your Denby? & sees so much on her ramblings.
    mcc - there's another Nrthn/Sthrn hemi set-to in the vegemite/marmite line, or claiming credit for ANZAC biccie invention - and that is WEETBIX, never Weetabix.....:-)
    https://weetbix.co.nz/
    Plenty of disagreements in every enzed family's history on how many, with what - just for starters.
    #
    Bonne nuit. Especially 'sweet dreams and pink icecreams' to vjm and pk and sya.
    Raffles, rattle that yellow thing please.
    Last edited by ampersand; 12-02-2018 at 7:05 AM.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT&BUDGET HELP:01274 760720, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 11th Feb 18, 8:10 PM
    • 1,816 Posts
    • 20,043 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    1 Our little lad is home. The vet was tickled pink with our printed off thank you card, with him on it, and a box of roses, it was so nice to see someone so thankful and indeed us so thankful to her bring him and his mate home full of bouncy beans again. This is bliss. The vet nurse said loudly we nearly didn’t get his mate back to us, as I mentioned when they went in, she is a people animal snuggles and plays amazingly, which he did and he was smitten. Proud parent feeling.

2 To move the warranty boxes to the loft we had to dispose of the old now not in warranty boxes up there and 7 bags of stuff, one freegled already, one being washed, some thrown and one donated to raffle prises.

3 It was nice see the in laws again yesterday.

4 Just had a lovely scone, with my hm jam and cream.

5 Everyones pleasures
    • Frith
    • By Frith 11th Feb 18, 11:18 PM
    • 4,342 Posts
    • 41,258 Thanks
    Frith
    Quick pleasures for today (Sunday).

1) A lie in!

2) Caught a bit of the Archers.

3) Porridge for breakfast.

4) Plenty for the hens - some of last night's roast and a portion of porridge.

5) Went to my sister's new house after lunch and went for a walk with her and my niece to find a geocache (we never did find it). House looking good.

6) Went a very long way home from sister's over the Clee Hill. Was snowing before I even got to the top. Then clear over the top but to the right was a white out of a snow storm, clear in front but with bands of vertical snow on the horizon.

7) Bigger son came back early from his father's so was back before me and had lit the fire.

8) Easy tea from the freezer of butternut squash curry made the other week.

9) My school friend phoned.

10) Spent the evening messaging my sister as she wanted to buy a 1950s lampshade for her landing in keeping with the others that came with the house (all the original fixtures and fittings remain!)

11) Smaller son's teacher emailed about the big meeting we have at the crack of dawn tomorrow morning.

12) Smaller son and I had a laugh watching bigger son. He stayed at his friend's house last night at he never sleeps properly away from home. He wedged himself in the corner of our sofa and kept dozing off - but kept his phone perfectly in his hand in front of him as though he were still reading off it!
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 12th Feb 18, 6:41 AM
    • 287 Posts
    • 3,587 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger

Mrs SD - I am awed that Death Cleaning can be a pleasure, but when that particular chalice comes my way may I greet it with similar grace. Chuckling at Hardly Worthitson - let the man have his treat & may sense return eventually. Chortling at "DBro has been packed off back to Germany" - if all the heavy lifting has been completed Well Done All Round!

Onwards!
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    I laughed so loud when I read this DigForVictory, I am surprised I didn’t wake DH

Apparently the Swedes do Death Cleaning every three/four months - on the basis that you ‘declutter’ as you see fit, rather than your family/friends having to do it whilst they are (hopefully) grieving for you! Also appears to be an opportunity to sort your will etc.

Re the ‘Hardly Worthitson’ I am doing it a disservice! My DH had a major accident in 2011 - trashed the 6 month old Goldwing & his right leg (2.5 inches of bone pulverised) After 2.5 years of no riding the ONLY motorcycle he could ride was a Harley. It was a godsend as we had booked our ferry, B&B & tickets for the TT Races on the Isle of Man for 2014 as one of his biker friends was participating. Last year, exactly 1 day after the three year warranty ran out & only 1.5 weeks into our 4 week visit, the Harley broke down while we were in France. The French Harley dealership couldn’t find the fault & it took 3 weeks to get it back to the UK dealership. Then another 2 weeks for them to ‘fix it’? A couple of weeks later we were back in France. This time the Harley stayed working until DH was 60 miles from the Channel Tunnel on the way back to Blighty (I flew out)
    Fortunately he managed to find a cafe out of the blazing sun, so was fed & watered while he waited 3 hours for the breakdown truck to get him to the Tunnel. DH managed to get the Harley on to a train & then out of the terminal but then had to wait another hour & half for UK breakdown truck to take him home. Originally due to be home by 7 p.m. but DSis & I got a call at 2.00 a.m. The Harley was deposited at the garage again BUT we had another trip booked to France so needed a bike - happily we found a 3 year old Goldwing with only 5,200 miles on the clock. DH purchased different rider pegs & footplates & we were happy little bunnies. Took us 20 mins to buy! I do love our Goldwing Still have the Harley - it was at the garage for a month (we went back to France on the Goldwing). The day my DH was due to pick up the Harley, the mechanic was taking it for a final test run to make sure the fault had been fixed when, you’ve guessed it, the Harley broke down with the exact same fault as the previous two times
    The mechanic limped it back to the garage, plugged it into the diagnostic computer & finally discovered the fault Two weeks later the Harley was finally back in our garage & has been used once in the intervening 8 months! Hard to regain our trust in it

Anyway sorry to prattle on & just a quick list of pleasures since Thursday:

1. Owning a Goldwing
    2. Hm soup with hm scones.
    3. Happy call with DSis
    4. Our clothing 95% sorted.
    5. Spare room blind & curtains put up by DH + new light fitting & shade
    6. One day of brilliant !!!9728;!!!65039;
    7. A roast beef dinner
    8. Other people’s posts

MrsSD
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 12th Feb 18, 6:53 AM
    • 1,238 Posts
    • 13,916 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Train journeys ok going to and from rugby even if a roundabout way to get there. Managed to get a seat on all sections of the journey.

2. Saw DS1 but he seemed subdued. He only seemed to be cheerful when talking about his friend and when the christening is of his godson. He seemed unhappy when talking about his girlfriend. He works fairly long hours and then always does the cooking even if girlfriend has had the day off. He also does all the food shopping. He doesn't enjoy cooking but is something that needs to be done.

3. Watched rugby. It was awful. A small boy sitting next to me was excited. It was the first match he had been too.

4. Arrived home to a warm house and fell asleep on the sofa. I felt so tired when I say down in the warmth.

5. Did read about planning applications as some of neighbours of MIL house have complained. Mainly about the inconvenience and disruption of having the building work completed when they have all had building work carried out themselves. One commented that the extension was only being done so we could sell the house for more money! We are looking at extending a 2 bed house to a 4 bed house with a 5th bed/study. All the other houses in the road are at least 4 bedroomed.
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 12th Feb 18, 7:06 AM
    • 8,343 Posts
    • 32,338 Thanks
    ampersand
    Just posting an extra Thankyou out loud for that one, Mrs SD:-)

vl - those sorts of people have started emerging since pus 49 was elected, another brexit downside. Hope your son can be happy, and you more at ease about him, soon.
    Last edited by ampersand; 12-02-2018 at 7:10 AM.
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 12th Feb 18, 8:37 AM
    • 3,155 Posts
    • 35,620 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Love reading all your pleasures. Should be getting ready for work but instead crept back under duvet and chuckling about orange juice reducing tv usage and poor bop having to make do with snorkers rather than beans.
    Mrpiano got back very late last night so will have to wait for update on royal concert. So for Yesterday not in chronological order
    1) engerland;s rather dull match made way for major excitement for Scotland.
    2) another cupboard decluttered and first 2 drawers still looking beautiful (but another tin opener found - that makes 7!)
    3) rather then going out for lunch I had slow cooked beef curry and invited mum back. It was lish and although recipe said serves 2 it has done 4, one being taken in for lunch today
    4) watching the Scots match with a welsh man, an Irish man and 2 Scots (will be watching Calcutta with same minus the Welshman who will be 8n New Zealand)
    5) salmon and veg for tea as on my own. Then call the midwife and mcmafia accompanied by a tube of smarties. We are collecting pound coins in them for this year;s lent collection, destination to be decided at tomorrow;s vestry
    For 2018 be kind, be courageous, and never ever eat pears
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 12th Feb 18, 9:38 AM
    • 1,890 Posts
    • 22,912 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Sunday pleasures,

Up first and the gentle joy of a quiet house, enjoyed with the first cuppa and small dog cuddles.

Brunch out with youngest and his gf, new place for such a meal and very tasty it was too, the young people were then heading off to her folks for a late lunch so we all laughed about Vicar of Dibley'ish forcing in of more food.

My girlie had once again managed to remove one of her shoes, lovely yard person found it for me, dear Bill only managed this feat once in 8 years of partnership, Lulu twice in a month, hmm.

The latest series of Endeavour.

Your pleasures, thank you.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 12th Feb 18, 12:07 PM
    • 4,817 Posts
    • 29,241 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Goodbye and don’t forget your bag!
    Raffles, rattle that yellow thing please.
    Originally posted by ampersand
    On it!

501-5 Finally John had the balls to get rid of the failure and send him packing. This is what happens down at the Theatre of Fish when you don’t produce the goods. Sent off without a creel. Now we can get on with the tame pu55ies up in Kingston and send the rusting iron back to oblivion. Applications for the new manager can be found on the web. BoP is celebrating.

4 Had proper dumplings yesterday in mince and toe nail onion stew. Leeks and cauliflower were also served with creamy cheese and chive mashed spuds. Pud of xmas was served with instant lumpy custard. Tum needed well rubbing as BoP were well fully stuffed!

3 Now as you are aware that BoPsie’s housekeeping has been seriously affected recently, and we are out of haricot has beans, because mes and BoPsie look after the pennies, BoP has found £30 that we did not have. It will be liquidated this FryDay night inn town. Wobbleade chits are still required to feed BoPsie. Please remember she is out of haricot beans! This is what happens when you look after money and don’t worry about the beans!

2 This weak the last room to be done this year will be floored. Date unknown as I write this ditty, but you can give your last penny that it will be good!

I cannot give another penny to …
    Every fairy story always ends the same way
    Hope, then tragedy at the end of the world!
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 12th Feb 18, 5:32 PM
    • 287 Posts
    • 3,587 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    ampersand, thanks for that - I did go on a bit didn’t I?

MrsSD
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 12th Feb 18, 5:37 PM
    • 5,009 Posts
    • 73,738 Thanks
    VJsmum
    5. Did read about planning applications as some of neighbours of MIL house have complained. Mainly about the inconvenience and disruption of having the building work completed when they have all had building work carried out themselves. One commented that the extension was only being done so we could sell the house for more money! We are looking at extending a 2 bed house to a 4 bed house with a 5th bed/study. All the other houses in the road are at least 4 bedroomed.
    Originally posted by villagelife
    I am not an expert - but do know a little - i don't believe that a planning application can be rejected because of temporary inconvenience whilst building work is being carried out. And so what even if you were having an extension to sell the house for more - you would be perfectly entitled to do so. They do have a right of objection - but not on any of those grounds. hope your son is OK.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Mhagster
    • By Mhagster 12th Feb 18, 6:40 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    Mhagster
    Monday Schmonday...was up at 4am dealing with a vomiting dog and what had once been a sock!

Heavy snow overnight and first thing but the great thaw appears to have taken place throughout the day. Beautiful dog walk first thing.

Walked to T in the snow. Needed milk and bread.

Made soup for lunch. Lentil and then some parsnip and apple for tomorrow .

DD still poorly. DS had his driving lesson.

They had fish for tea and I had a baked potato.
    • house elf
    • By house elf 12th Feb 18, 10:05 PM
    • 642 Posts
    • 8,930 Thanks
    house elf
    Evening Peeps,

Let’s do Sunday, cos Monday will be difficult!

1. Hotel room (bunker), and breakfast were not great in comparison to the company flat of the day before, but was subject of amusement.

2. Stroll down Colombia Road. Bought succulants and hyacinths and nice coffee.

3. Brick Lane........Found coffee sack from Peru, to make a cushion for DD. A nice vintage dress for me and lots of vinyl for DH. Bagels for lunch.

4. The Harry Potter shop in Kings Cross. DF got a Nifler.

5. Home in time for tea. Managed to assemble chicken Kiev, sweet corn and wedges from the freezer. Watched Call the Midwife, then bed.

Monday

1. Parcelled up EBay sales.

2. Work on time. Started off quite positive!

3. Dropped EBay parcels at Coop and found some good rtc bargains on the way home.

4. Slow cooker ‘Snorkers and beans’ casserole. Yum.

5. DD washing all done. She returns from hols on Wednesday.

Time for bed. Night night.
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 12th Feb 18, 10:53 PM
    • 8,343 Posts
    • 32,338 Thanks
    ampersand
    ampersand, thanks for that - I did go on a bit didn!!!8217;t I?

MrsSD
    Originally posted by Mrs Salad Dodger
    #
    Absolutely not, mrs sd!

Here is &, just in, all manymanymany things done [inc. renewed memshp of smug barstewards club, for this point of writing only]....all at the end of a day which parallels your harleydom, to be posted demain.

Announcement: &'S NEW MOB. IS RE-FOUND.
    [No, of course & won't be saying how/where...don't be silly. Only one of those is known anyway.]
    Last edited by ampersand; 12-02-2018 at 10:55 PM.
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***

• villagelife
    • By villagelife 13th Feb 18, 6:48 AM
    • 1,238 Posts
    • 13,916 Thanks
    villagelife
    Felt more positive yesterday.

1. Lovely sunrise. The sky was a beautiful orange/red colour.

2. DH has spoken to planners and the planner was reassuring but non committal but the comments 're the disruption and selling the house after the extension has been built are irrelevant.

3. Good day at work. I work with someone I like at an outside clinic so much more relaxed but all work gets done.

4. Light when I arrived home. It feels that you have more time when you get home with some light. I felt far more energized.
    Tea had mostly been cooked as had cooked a gammon in the slow cooker and plenty left over.

5. DS1 texted me. Seemed okish. He has a few days off soon and girlfriend is working so hopefully he will be able to rest.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 13th Feb 18, 7:58 AM
    • 5,009 Posts
    • 73,738 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Morning all - another day, another train. This one is to Lunnon town for a seminar. Regent Street which makes a change - and i get to talk to other people which also makes a train. Stunning red sky out the window - which doesn't bode well

Pleasures for yesterday

1. Nice bathy, watched call the midwife
    2. Brother turned up safe after an epic drive - "you could have told me there were high bits" . Yep, they're called mountains
    3. Took him out for lunch at steam train cafe - veggie chilli was lush
    4. train journey back uneventful and got lots done.
    5. A couple of episodes of mad men with veggie soup when i got in as no-one else home.

Have a good day all
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Feb 18, 8:37 AM
    • 11,307 Posts
    • 157,507 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) The wonderful weather of yesterday and not having to go out in the wet and windy nastiness that is today!

2) DD1 and James are back from their trip to Germany and I'll get to hear about it today.

3) Trip to Lidl planned for later this morning to stock up on tins.

4) On a day like this...waterproofs. wellingtons, central heating, double glazing and TV!

5) Cookie, she's with us for the week and is such a lovely little dog, she's used to coming now and is as comfy here as she is at home. Nor trouble at all and a delight to be with!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 13th Feb 18, 8:47 AM
    • 3,155 Posts
    • 35,620 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Morning. For yesterday
    1) fortuitous meeting up with colleague from another school (uni now split into 9 schools) on way in. World domination progressed a little more
    2) library now has boiling water tap. Took in milk teabags and mug, saved enough pennies for several tins of beans bop
    3) took curry in for lunch. Bit of a queue for microwave but was lish
    4) I chaired lunch time meeting - we finished in an hour (I do hate meetings that go on and on)
    5) back to library, milk still absolutely fine, more tea consumed, more smugness for pennies saved :-) and a nsd
    For 2018 be kind, be courageous, and never ever eat pears
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 13th Feb 18, 9:21 AM
    • 1,890 Posts
    • 22,912 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Monday pleasures,

Cracking on with housework and reaping the benefits of a tidy home.

Sorting through a wardrobe, much stuff put to one side for charity shop, rag bag for BHF.

RTC puff pastry made a couple of goats cheese tarts and there will be enough for pie topping tonight.

Watched Collateral, confused but will persist.

A very special anniversary for Capt S and I when we realised that 14 years of friendship had blossomed into something much deeper, the rest as they say is history.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 13th Feb 18, 12:10 PM
    • 4,817 Posts
    • 29,241 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Heartless and then tomorrow …
    2) library now has boiling water tap. Took in milk teabags and mug, saved enough pennies for several tins of beans bop
    Originally posted by DundeeDoll
    Has beans! Mind you that is a coffee tap, no good for proper tea! And you should see the gunk in the galley when I worked on aircraft caused by boiling water! Don't let me putt you off though!

5 Was again inn the gym last eve showing off this seasons beach ready look. More to come!

4 Then we decided to have a pizza as it was very late for BoP and we had bought a new lamp for the lounge and a lampshade for the dining room! Not often, but from the local Italian not the domino place. It was not delivered. Wobbleade was taken. We had to have pizza because yet again, we have not got the haricot has beans inn!

3 Dining room floor is being lain tomorrow and then at easter me and BoPsie will not be decorating, nor will we sit outside the wallpaper emporium either!

2 Cus wes is offs to the smoke at easter. The Royal Albert Hall on 31st March … You know what that is for as well #RAF100 BoPsie is driving!

We know it hurts, but then this is your version of the Life of BoP
    Every fairy story always ends the same way
    Hope, then tragedy at the end of the world!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,589Posts Today

10,154Users online

Martin's Twitter