Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dpall
    • By dpall 17th Jul 17, 11:04 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    dpall
    !!HELP!! - car inurance rejected ! :(
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:04 PM
    !!HELP!! - car inurance rejected ! :( 17th Jul 17 at 11:04 PM
    So, I was rejected insurance earlier this year for having my dad as the main driver and myself as a named driver on an insurance policy, when the car (really old ford ka - 1.297cc) was registered under my name. I had no idea that this was something illegal (referred to as "fronting - which I came to know later) - I only wanted to save some money !

I have since transferred the car on to my dads name and have been looking for insurance but with no luck! :'( As most insurance companies don't even offer a quote once I mention that I have been rejected insurance previously. The few companies that do offer insurance for, drivers that were previously rejected insurance, offer quotes of ~£2500 -£3000 per year (that is almost x10 the amount i paid for the car) !!!

Any advice on how to go about this situation and get insurance for a reasonable price, will be much appreciated!!

[ extra info: I'm a new driver (under 25) and my dad is now the registered keeper ]
    Last edited by dpall; 18-07-2017 at 2:13 PM. Reason: n/a
Page 1
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 17th Jul 17, 11:11 PM
    • 10,817 Posts
    • 6,134 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:11 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:11 PM
    When I think back, my car insurance was more than the car itself when I was 18-23, it was only after that I was buying more expensive cars, overall the premiums have remained the same-ish, it seems you may have to take some pain until you can build up a good clean history of low risk.
    • NCC-1707
    • By NCC-1707 17th Jul 17, 11:17 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    NCC-1707
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:17 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:17 PM
    Sounds to me that you are still attempting to 'front'.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 18th Jul 17, 5:22 AM
    • 10,577 Posts
    • 6,929 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 18th Jul 17, 5:22 AM
    • 18th Jul 17, 5:22 AM
    I have since transferred the car on to my dads name

[ extra info: I'm a new driver (under 25) and my dad is now the registered keeper + main driver of another car)
    Originally posted by dpall
    why have you changed the car into your dad's name?
    is this not your car that you are the main driver of? (or will be if you can get insurance)
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 18th Jul 17, 6:20 AM
    • 268 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 18th Jul 17, 6:20 AM
    • 18th Jul 17, 6:20 AM
    The few companies that do offer insurance for, drivers that were previously rejected insurance, offer quotes of ~£2500 -£3000 per year (that is almost x10 the amount i paid for the car) !!!

Any advice on how to go about this situation and get insurance for a reasonable price, will be much appreciated!!

[ extra info: I'm a new driver (under 25) and my dad is now the registered keeper + main driver of another car)
    £2000+ sounds about the right price; you dont say how old you are. A few years ago, in my late 40s, I paid £700+
    • NCC-1707
    • By NCC-1707 18th Jul 17, 8:34 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    NCC-1707
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:34 AM
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:34 AM
    £2000+ sounds about the right price; you dont say how old you are. A few years ago, in my late 40s, I paid £700+
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    New driver under 25 as in OP you quoted!
    • ciderboy2009
    • By ciderboy2009 18th Jul 17, 9:19 AM
    • 256 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    ciderboy2009
    • 18th Jul 17, 9:19 AM
    • 18th Jul 17, 9:19 AM
    OP - If the insurance was in your father's name with you as a named driver then there's a possibility that he might have to declare the Fronting as well.

Regardless, you need to put the car back into your name and get insurance with you as the main driver and your father as a named driver.

Unfortunately it's going to cost a lot - that's the price you pay for attempting to defraud an insurance company.

It might be worth you seeing if an insurance broker can do anything for you.
    • dpall
    • By dpall 18th Jul 17, 12:33 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dpall
    • 18th Jul 17, 12:33 PM
    • 18th Jul 17, 12:33 PM
    Like I mentioned, I didn't do what I did on purpose - I didn't know it was illegal at the time. And I dont want to "front" again - thank you for pointing out that changing the car on to my dads name could be seen as fronting.
    Thank you all for your suggestions!

I have a couple of questions
    1) if i were get a car after i turn 25 - would these policy quotes go down at all ?
    2) or would I have to pay extremely high insurance prices for the rest of my life?
    3) how many years before this "fronting" is taken off my record?
    Last edited by dpall; 18-07-2017 at 12:37 PM. Reason: extra info
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 18th Jul 17, 12:54 PM
    • 703 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 18th Jul 17, 12:54 PM
    • 18th Jul 17, 12:54 PM
    You intentionally lied on the application for insurance when disclosing ownership and main user; why did you think that wasn't illegal?
    • cajef
    • By cajef 18th Jul 17, 12:58 PM
    • 4,439 Posts
    • 3,509 Thanks
    cajef
    Like I mentioned, I didn't do what I did on purpose - I didn't know it was illegal at the time.
    But you did do it on purpose you did it to get cheaper insurance, companies are tightening up on this type of fronting fraud, a cancelled policy will have to be declared whenever you apply for new insurance in the future.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 18th Jul 17, 12:59 PM
    • 31,345 Posts
    • 37,034 Thanks
    Browntoa
    its still fronting if you do most of the driving , if your dad never drives the car its definitely fronting even if its in his name
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • dpall
    • By dpall 18th Jul 17, 1:29 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dpall
    so does this mean,i would have to pay high insurance for the rest of my life? and there's nothing i can do to change it?
    • cajef
    • By cajef 18th Jul 17, 1:51 PM
    • 4,439 Posts
    • 3,509 Thanks
    cajef
    so does this mean,i would have to pay high insurance for the rest of my life? and there's nothing i can do to change it?
    Unfortunately that is a consequence of your action, if you are asked if you have ever had a policy cancelled you will have to declare it or risk having another cancellation on your record.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
    • Huskydays
    • By Huskydays 18th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    Huskydays
    1) if i were get a car after i turn 25 - would these policy quotes go down at all ?
    There is usually a decrease in premiums as the driver gets older, however without any no claims bonus, you may still be facing significant cost. Because insurance underwriters all use their own algorithms to calculate risk based on various factors (although sometimes, I think they just pull a number out of a hat) none of us will be able to give you a more in depth answer on that one.
    2) or would I have to pay extremely high insurance prices for the rest of my life?
    As you build up NCB and years driving, your premiums will go down (this is, of course, dependent on your driving history/car/location/current car crime and accident statistics/etc).

The fronting will never be off your 'record'. It's not protected information so if asked, you have to declare it. Some insurance companies only ask about refused insurance in the past 5 years, but some companies ask the question 'have you ever been refused insurance'. You'll need to pay special attention to the wording of the question each time you shop for quotes.

I second ciderboy2009's suggestion of using a broker - they tend to be able to get around the 'computer says no' situation and are probably your best bet.
    A witty saying proves nothing
    • verityboo
    • By verityboo 18th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 846 Posts
    • 1,055 Thanks
    verityboo
    Some insurance companies ask if you have had a cancellation of a certain period. Direct Line I think asks if you have had a cancelled policy over the last 5 years?

Insurance companies are made to ask questions very clearly when taking out a policy and you simply have to answer truthfully, unfortunately you got caught lying.

Also be aware that you will have to admit to the cancellation with all types of insurance, not just car insurance

In who's name was the cancelled policy, yours or your fathers?
    • dpall
    • By dpall 18th Jul 17, 2:15 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dpall
    the policy was under my dads name but i was on the insurance policy as a named driver
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 18th Jul 17, 2:23 PM
    • 32,026 Posts
    • 16,101 Thanks
    Quentin
    Your dad is the one with the cancellation on his record then, not you.(Unless there is more to this we don't know about)

You will find insurers happy to insure you on a car owned by a parent.

As long as your dad is not a named driver and you are the main driver you should be able to get cover without any cancellation loading.

If online insurers are too expensive try a local broker (not Swinton)
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 18th Jul 17, 2:27 PM
    • 3,566 Posts
    • 2,239 Thanks
    csgohan4
    so you lied and now you have screwed up your father's car insurance history. Ignorance is not an excuse.

You have a lot of explaining to do with your father, who is now unable to get market insurance prices
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • vacheron
    • By vacheron 18th Jul 17, 2:34 PM
    • 688 Posts
    • 579 Thanks
    vacheron
    Like I mentioned, I didn't do what I did on purpose - I didn't know it was illegal at the time. And I dont want to "front" again - thank you for pointing out that changing the car on to my dads name could be seen as fronting.

Thank you all for your suggestions!

I have a couple of questions
    If you are the main driver (primary user) of the car and the policy is not in your name it "will" (not could) be seen as fronting regardless of who owns the car, so be careful.

Personally I was continuously reminded for years that 25 is the "golden age" for cheaper car insurance, so disappointingly when I reached 25 I noticed very little difference. It was more of a gentle decline with each passing year of trouble free motoring and increasing age.

Edit: Many new posts since I started the message, and as Quentin first noted your dad now has the black mark on his record which he will have to declare for as long as required and you have been able to walk away spotless.
    Last edited by vacheron; 18-07-2017 at 2:40 PM.
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
    • dpall
    • By dpall 18th Jul 17, 2:38 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dpall
    but i was on the cancelled insurance as a named driver? would that not count as me being rejected insurance aswell??
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,924Posts Today

8,216Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin