Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kerry22
    • By Kerry22 17th Jul 17, 10:38 PM
    • 102Posts
    • 41Thanks
    Kerry22
    Enough's enough, I want air con!
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:38 PM
    Enough's enough, I want air con! 17th Jul 17 at 10:38 PM
    Hi everyone

I can't take anymore heat in my flat, as I mainly work from home and the flat is hotter than anywhere else I've lived. I wasn't able to stay in it during the recent heatwave in the 30's and we've got it predicted for the next 3 months. That's a lot of missed work.

Decided I want to get a portable air con unit but where to start? So many online and so many reviews saying they're not working well enough.

Anyone know of a good one in the price range of £100 - £300?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 17th Jul 17, 10:45 PM
    • 1,677 Posts
    • 2,518 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:45 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:45 PM
    Unless you vent out the air con unit's exhaust gas it will make the flat hotter, portable or not. Cold air out the front and hot air from the back. If it was 100% efficient it would be neutral. It won't be anything close to that, nothing is. Having it fitted to a vent is much more effective than dangling a plastic hose out through an open window.
    • Kerry22
    • By Kerry22 17th Jul 17, 10:55 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Kerry22
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:55 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:55 PM
    Having it fitted to a vent is much more effective than dangling a plastic hose out through an open window.
    Originally posted by Mr.Generous
    I'm renting so having it hanging out of an open window is really my only choice....I could ask my landlady if she would consider sorting out a proper vent but it's probably not worth her while...

The problem is I really can't work here when it goes over 27 degrees and I'm in a rural area and it's not easy to carry paperwork around and on trains etc to find a cool library

Just hoping it would do something to cool the temperature at least? Even if not that efficient it might be better than fans?
    • chrisw
    • By chrisw 17th Jul 17, 11:00 PM
    • 1,623 Posts
    • 887 Thanks
    chrisw
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:00 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:00 PM
    Do you have a garden where you could set up a parasol and work outside?
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 17th Jul 17, 11:03 PM
    • 2,188 Posts
    • 3,273 Thanks
    gardner1
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:03 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:03 PM
    So just to confirm you keep blinds closed all day to keep sun out....have a couple of windows open a little and a decent fan
    We have had it nice and cool in house granted it's hasn't been higher than 25c.....but if you can keep the sun out by keeping blinds closed and decent fans it does make a difference
    • Kerry22
    • By Kerry22 17th Jul 17, 11:12 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Kerry22
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:12 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:12 PM
    Thanks gardner1, no I don't have a garden and too many distractions in the communal one. The windows are all open, blinds are kept closed, especially where the sun comes in and it's just impossible. Two fans. I had to leave the flat and not work until cooler and then come up with excuses and then work all weekend instead. I'd come back to the flat in the evening and even then I'd be sat with two fans next to me, blowing directly on me. I'm not yet menopausal either, lol, so it's not that.
    • Kerry22
    • By Kerry22 17th Jul 17, 11:14 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Kerry22
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:14 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:14 PM
    Worse case scenario, the unit will not do anything at all in my flat if venting out of a window. If so, I can give it to my relative who could get venting done properly and it won't be wasted.
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 17th Jul 17, 11:17 PM
    • 2,188 Posts
    • 3,273 Thanks
    gardner1
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:17 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:17 PM
    Thanks gardner1, no I don't have a garden and too many distractions in the communal one. The windows are all open, blinds are kept closed, especially where the sun comes in and it's just impossible. Two fans. I had to leave the flat and not work until cooler and then come up with excuses and then work all weekend instead. I'd come back to the flat in the evening and even then I'd be sat with two fans next to me, blowing directly on me. I'm not yet menopausal either, lol, so it's not that.
    Originally posted by Kerry22
    I take it your in London/south east......we lived in Twickenham for 7 years and summer would be a nightmare just constant heat and very close at nights....would be praying for a good downpour to cool things down
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 17th Jul 17, 11:20 PM
    • 9,839 Posts
    • 7,328 Thanks
    GunJack
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:20 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:20 PM
    I have portable ones, they will make a difference if you keep all the internal doors open, and all the windows closed bar the one the vent is exiting out of (and the blinds/curtains shut of course). Most come with a upvc plate to attach the vent to, which then means the window has to be open less (and is used to hold the vent plate in place).
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 17th Jul 17, 11:23 PM
    • 2,188 Posts
    • 3,273 Thanks
    gardner1
    Worse case scenario, the unit will not do anything at all in my flat if venting out of a window. If so, I can give it to my relative who could get venting done properly and it won't be wasted.
    It is possible to to vent a pipe out of window with a homemade plastic/cardboard or wood surround for it
    • Kerry22
    • By Kerry22 17th Jul 17, 11:28 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Kerry22
    Hoping I'm not going against any rules here to ask which ones people have?

Thanks re advice on windows being open, curtains closed, but I can't stand it any more, lol. I'm being cooked in my own home and its cooler out in the street.
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 17th Jul 17, 11:33 PM
    • 1,194 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    littlerock
    I have often wondered why we cannot get those air con units which fit in the bottom of the window like they have in New York - anyone know if you can get them in the UK? I take it you don't have sash windows? If you do and you open top and bottom of window and put one fan next to window, then another fan diagonally opposite on other side of room, then sit in front of window fan in the cross draught, I find it helps. Gardner, interesting what you say about Twickenham, we lived there during a couple of hot summers and it does get very humid. More humid than most places .Had to have fan on all night in bedroom.
    • Kerry22
    • By Kerry22 18th Jul 17, 1:27 AM
    • 102 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Kerry22

Anyone know of a good one in the price range of £100 - £300?

Thanks
    Does anyone have a good one that they can recommend?
    • Kerry22
    • By Kerry22 18th Jul 17, 1:30 AM
    • 102 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Kerry22
    I take it your in London/south east......we lived in Twickenham for 7 years and summer would be a nightmare just constant heat and very close at nights....would be praying for a good downpour to cool things down
    Originally posted by gardner1
    South East. The thing is they are saying we are going to have 3 months of a heatwave, that's just too long, lol

One side of my flat seems to get the sun most of the day and it heats all the bricks up and turns it into an oven.
    Last edited by Kerry22; 18-07-2017 at 1:43 AM.
    • Kerry22
    • By Kerry22 18th Jul 17, 1:38 AM
    • 102 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Kerry22
    I take it you don't have sash windows? If you do and you open top and bottom of window and put one fan next to window, then another fan diagonally opposite on other side of room, then sit in front of window fan in the cross draught, I find it helps.
    Originally posted by littlerock
    Tiny flat. Lovely flat but small, so this won't work entirely, but the main issue is that I can't work in the heat (and also with fans blowing papers everywhere). If it wasn't about doing work at home, I'd probably just buy loads of fans and place them all around and then sit in the middle.
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 18th Jul 17, 5:20 AM
    • 8,841 Posts
    • 4,419 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    I've had one in the past that vented out of a window and it worked well. I don't remember the details of how I minimised air leaking in from the window it vented through but certainly you need to keep the volume you are refrigerating to a minimum so do as GunJack suggested and keep the doors shut. They can be noisy.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 18th Jul 17, 6:05 AM
    • 9,839 Posts
    • 7,328 Thanks
    GunJack
    Does anyone have a good one that they can recommend?
    sorry, had ours for about 15 yrs so don't know about current models...I do know they were around £400 each though, and that was at the time....
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • chrisw
    • By chrisw 18th Jul 17, 6:52 AM
    • 1,623 Posts
    • 887 Thanks
    chrisw
    Might not help you now but if you buy one during a heat wave then you will pay top money. If you can hang on until autumn, they are discounted in the shops and you can pick up a second hand one very cheaply as people look to get them out the way rather than store them until next year or raise some cash for xmas.
    • I have spoken
    • By I have spoken 18th Jul 17, 7:12 AM
    • 4,963 Posts
    • 9,656 Thanks
    I have spoken
    I have a portable unit branded by Homebase, think it was £70 from t'Bay.

They are quite noisy when the compressor is running and are awkward to store when not needed.

I had a panel made up to fit a window opening and attached the hose outlet to that so all the hot air was vented outside.
    Last edited by I have spoken; 18-07-2017 at 7:18 AM.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 18th Jul 17, 7:56 AM
    • 13,099 Posts
    • 17,317 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I have often wondered why we cannot get those air con units which fit in the bottom of the window like they have in New York - anyone know if you can get them in the UK?
    Originally posted by littlerock
    You must be able to. My parent's have one. They have a had it a long time though.

One problem that is overlooked with the portable machines is that even if you vent the hot air pipe outside, the hot air it pushes out of the room has to be replaced... by more warm air from outside.

I have worked in hot countries and you do get used to it after a while.
    Last edited by Gloomendoom; 18-07-2017 at 11:00 AM.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,176Posts Today

8,463Users online

Martin's Twitter