Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Luce210
    • By Luce210 17th Jul 17, 10:22 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Luce210
    Hole in path
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:22 PM
    Hole in path 17th Jul 17 at 10:22 PM
    Hi, I am in the process of purchasing a terraced house, outside the house I have just noticed a hole in the pavement right outside the property. It seems to have only developed in the last week or so and it is around 5 inches wide. I have found out that the council have been notified and they are going to come out to fill it, but im now worried how has this developed? Is there someone you can call to look into this? Could this be a burst pipe underneath?

Any advice would be so helpful, thank you in advance!
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 17th Jul 17, 10:31 PM
    • 40,101 Posts
    • 45,797 Thanks
    G_M
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:31 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:31 PM
    FTB nerves?
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 17th Jul 17, 10:39 PM
    • 2,302 Posts
    • 1,663 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:39 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:39 PM
    Could this be a burst pipe underneath?
    Originally posted by Luce210
    Could be, happened to my parents. They could hear the sound of water running for years, eventually a huge hole opened up next to a concrete path.
    • Luce210
    • By Luce210 17th Jul 17, 10:59 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Luce210
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:59 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:59 PM
    FTB nerves?
    Originally posted by G_M
    Yeah FTB and it's a Victorian property so just worried that I may find some hidden extra costs. The hole looks as if the Tarmac is caving in and there is quite some hole underneath but I didn't hear and noise of water will go back and investigate some more tomorrow 😬!!
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 18th Jul 17, 12:09 AM
    • 275 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 18th Jul 17, 12:09 AM
    • 18th Jul 17, 12:09 AM
    Yeah FTB and it's a Victorian property so just worried that I may find some hidden extra costs. The hole looks as if the Tarmac is caving in and there is quite some hole underneath but I didn't hear and noise of water will go back and investigate some more tomorrow 😬!!
    Originally posted by Luce210
    Is it an area where there has been mining?
    • G_M
    • By G_M 18th Jul 17, 12:10 AM
    • 40,101 Posts
    • 45,797 Thanks
    G_M
    • 18th Jul 17, 12:10 AM
    • 18th Jul 17, 12:10 AM
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 18th Jul 17, 6:38 AM
    • 22,601 Posts
    • 87,460 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 18th Jul 17, 6:38 AM
    • 18th Jul 17, 6:38 AM
    If there's a hole in a public pavement, the council will look into it.....

But seriously, find the stop c0ck related to the house. If the hole is on the houise side of that and there's a leak, it's 'yours.' If it's on the other side, it's the water authority's.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • G_M
    • By G_M 18th Jul 17, 12:43 PM
    • 40,101 Posts
    • 45,797 Thanks
    G_M
    • 18th Jul 17, 12:43 PM
    • 18th Jul 17, 12:43 PM
    If there's a hole in a public pavement, the council will look into it.....
    Hopefully they'll not just look - though with current council finances that might be all they can afford. Maybe they'll scratch their heads as well, suck in their breath and say "Hmmmmmmm..."

But seriously, find the stop c0ck related to the house. If the hole is on the houise side of that and there's a leak, it's 'yours.' If it's on the other side, it's the water authority's.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    To be clear, Dave does not mean the internal stopc0ck (which is usualy under the kitchen sink).

He means the mains stop valve which is usually either in the pavement outside the property, or just inside the boundary (ie the front garden). If you have a water meter, this is usualy co-located.
    Last edited by G_M; 18-07-2017 at 2:36 PM.
    • Mossfarr
    • By Mossfarr 18th Jul 17, 1:17 PM
    • 388 Posts
    • 493 Thanks
    Mossfarr
    • 18th Jul 17, 1:17 PM
    • 18th Jul 17, 1:17 PM
    This happened recently at my friends house, it was caused by a collapsed drain. It cost a few hundred quid to repair including reinstating the block paving.
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 18th Jul 17, 1:49 PM
    • 25,452 Posts
    • 299,409 Thanks
    davemorton
    Originally posted by G_M
    Instant swimming pool, win-win.
    Im a board guide on Pie Making Moneysaving. I'm a volunteer to help the pie production & consumption run smoothly. I can help merge tastes and fillings. Any pies made are mine & are not those of other Moneysavingexperts. Im a board guide not a qualified baker and as such do not make every type of pie. If you spot a quiche or flan please report it.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 18th Jul 17, 2:37 PM
    • 40,101 Posts
    • 45,797 Thanks
    G_M
    Instant swimming pool, win-win.
    Originally posted by davemorton
    Looks like there's even a supply pipe to fill the pool - just have to get the mains switched back on.....
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 18th Jul 17, 2:53 PM
    • 22,601 Posts
    • 87,460 Thanks
    Davesnave
    To be clear, Dave does not mean the internal stopc0ck (which is usualy under the kitchen sink).

He means the mains stop valve which is usually either in the pavement outside the property, or just inside the boundary (ie the front garden). If you have a water meter, this is usualy co-located.
    Originally posted by G_M
    Correct, and I deserve a stern telling off for loose use of language.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

103Posts Today

1,757Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin