Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jon WS
    • By Jon WS 17th Jul 17, 10:20 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Jon WS
    Bad Tyre fitting
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:20 PM
    Bad Tyre fitting 17th Jul 17 at 10:20 PM
    HI everyone!

So I had two new front tyres fitted to my car today, drove it 44miles home and had a flat tyre that was bulging and it has wrecked my wheel. I'll be ringing the company that fitted them tomorrow morning but need to know what I can claim for.

Obviously a new tyre, what about the wheel?
    Also, As I live so far away from the garage how can I get it replaced without having to drive 44 miles on a flat?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 17th Jul 17, 10:23 PM
    • 11,547 Posts
    • 6,461 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:23 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:23 PM
    Did you sign anything?

Not uncommon these days to have customers sign off the work, so as to absolve themselves if the wheels fall off and kill someone.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • Jon WS
    • By Jon WS 17th Jul 17, 10:25 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Jon WS
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:25 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:25 PM
    Nope, didn't sign a thing. Just paid and got a receipt.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 17th Jul 17, 10:27 PM
    • 13,021 Posts
    • 8,242 Thanks
    arcon5
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:27 PM
    Did you sign anything?

Not uncommon these days to have customers sign off the work, so as to absolve themselves if the wheels fall off and kill someone.
    Originally posted by Strider590
    Which wouldn't necessarily absolve them of liability anyway
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 17th Jul 17, 10:27 PM
    • 11,547 Posts
    • 6,461 Thanks
    Strider590
    Well they will almost certainly try to avoid the wheel cost, but they should have insurance to cover this sort of thing.

Do you not have a spare wheel?
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • Jon WS
    • By Jon WS 17th Jul 17, 10:31 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Jon WS
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:31 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:31 PM
    Do you not have a spare wheel? - No, I don't even have a space saver. The tyre was virtually hanging off when it went flat- that's how the wheel got trashed I suppose
    • Jon WS
    • By Jon WS 17th Jul 17, 10:32 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Jon WS
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:32 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:32 PM
    I also have to take the day off tomorrow as I can't drive to work so is there any claim I can make on that front?
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 17th Jul 17, 10:47 PM
    • 1,809 Posts
    • 2,402 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:47 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:47 PM
    Can you phone the garage and explain, they may come out and fit another one at their own expense. Did you now know you were driving on a flat tyre?
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 17th Jul 17, 10:49 PM
    • 1,045 Posts
    • 1,267 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:49 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:49 PM
    HI everyone!

So I had two new front tyres fitted to my car today, drove it 44miles home and had a flat tyre that was bulging and it has wrecked my wheel. I'll be ringing the company that fitted them tomorrow morning but need to know what I can claim for.

Obviously a new tyre, what about the wheel?
    Also, As I live so far away from the garage how can I get it replaced without having to drive 44 miles on a flat?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Jon WS
    I'm puzzled. What do you mean by a flat tyre bulging? Did you continue to drive on it after it had deflated?
    • Jon WS
    • By Jon WS 17th Jul 17, 10:51 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Jon WS
    I'm puzzled. What do you mean by a flat tyre bulging? Did you continue to drive on it after it had deflated?
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck
    It went flat when I was driving, I pulled over and tried to pump it up to get home. It was then I noticed it was bulging in 2 areas. When I got home it was flat again after 10mins of being parked on the drive.
    • Jon WS
    • By Jon WS 17th Jul 17, 10:52 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Jon WS
    Can you phone the garage and explain, they may come out and fit another one at their own expense. Did you now know you were driving on a flat tyre?
    Originally posted by comeandgo
    When I left the garage it was fully inflated and all in working order. I got about 10miles from home and it was flat as a pancake. I'll be calling the garage in the morning to get it sorted
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 17th Jul 17, 10:57 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    debtdebt
    Have you checked the tread? Unlikely, but you might have picked up a puncture?
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 17th Jul 17, 11:01 PM
    • 1,045 Posts
    • 1,267 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    As above, you may just have been unlucky with a puncture. I'm not sure you will be able to "obviously" claim for a new tyre, let alone a new wheel. If they are prepared to come out and then they discover that there's a nail or something in the tyre, you'll be sorting a new tyre out at your own expense.
    • Jon WS
    • By Jon WS 17th Jul 17, 11:02 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Jon WS
    Have you checked the tread? Unlikely, but you might have picked up a puncture?
    Originally posted by debtdebt
    Tread is fine, no punctures
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 17th Jul 17, 11:05 PM
    • 1,045 Posts
    • 1,267 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    All you can do is ring them and see what they say then.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 17th Jul 17, 11:20 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Really and if there is are you prepared to pay for the garages time to
    come out and fit a new tyre?
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 17th Jul 17, 11:26 PM
    • 1,045 Posts
    • 1,267 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    Really and if there is are you prepared to pay for the garages time to
    come out and fit a new tyre?
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    No chance. This is a strictly one-way transaction. OP is already certain he's getting a new tyre and is looking to claim for a new wheel and a day off work.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 17th Jul 17, 11:41 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    No chance. This is a strictly one-way transaction. OP is already certain he's getting a new tyre and is looking to claim for a new wheel and a day off work.
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck
    Plus a bit of compo to sweeten the experience.

He got a puncture, carried on regardless and caused more damage.
    • Jon WS
    • By Jon WS 17th Jul 17, 11:57 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Jon WS
    Plus a bit of compo to sweeten the experience.

He got a puncture, carried on regardless and caused more damage.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    Wow - amazing how you really jumped to a conclusion there! There is NO puncture, the tyre is obviously faulty and I was asking on her if anyone else had any similar experiences in this type of situation. Thanks for your input but don't jump to conclusions about people you don't know - Im not looking for a sweetener, I was asking in terms of what would be acceptable to mention in my complaint - oh and I didn't carry on regardless, as I mentioned earlier I pulled over as soon as there was an issue.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 18th Jul 17, 12:06 AM
    • 731 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Wow - amazing how you really jumped to a conclusion there! There is NO puncture, the tyre is obviously faulty and I was asking on her if anyone else had any similar experiences in this type of situation. Thanks for your input but don't jump to conclusions about people you don't know - Im not looking for a sweetener, I was asking in terms of what would be acceptable to mention in my complaint - oh and I didn't carry on regardless, as I mentioned earlier I pulled over as soon as there was an issue.
    So you managed to get all the way home before it went flat?

Given you've not tested it, I wouldn't rule out a puncture.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,666Posts Today

8,562Users online

Martin's Twitter