Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • extrastrongbint
    • By extrastrongbint 17th Jul 17, 10:16 PM
    • 44Posts
    • 20Thanks
    extrastrongbint
    CCJ Help?
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:16 PM
    CCJ Help? 17th Jul 17 at 10:16 PM
    Hi
    I'm considering some changes to the way I manage debt and a question has come up about a CCJ I have from a £4k loan that I couldn't pay from about 6 years ago. (I had a good job etc and then got crippling anxiety so can't/struggle to work full time) They pursued me in court for 4k and I couldn't pay and I'm on a £1 a month payment plan due to my very low income (as per all my other debts - about 12k in total).
    My question is will this be on my credit file forever as apparently it is 6 years after each payment has been paid or will it be 6 years from when the CCJ was held against me? Will this debt ever go away?
    My mum has offered to help me pay some of the debt in "final offer" reduced amounts - is that possible with a CCJ (I know you can reduce amounts hugely when negotiating with CCs etc)
    Any help/advice appreciated x
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 17th Jul 17, 10:32 PM
    • 11,545 Posts
    • 11,131 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:32 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:32 PM
    Hi,

The debt itself will be on your file for 6 years from the date it first defaulted.

The associated CCJ will stay in the public information section of your file, again for 6 years from the date of judgement regardless of weather its paid off or not.

You can try making an offer to settle, if there only getting £1 a month, they may snap your hand off, just make sure you get any agreement in writing before you part with any money.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • extrastrongbint
    • By extrastrongbint 17th Jul 17, 10:37 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    extrastrongbint
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:37 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:37 PM
    Thanks Sourcrates
    Might be off my credit file soon then! Huzzah! That would be nice...and then just to get a big enough lump sum to get rid of the debt...brill x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

323Posts Today

4,570Users online

Martin's Twitter