Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 17th Jul 17, 8:52 PM
    • 1,145Posts
    • 1,918Thanks
    coffeehound
    What charity shop items do you regret NOT buying?
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:52 PM
    What charity shop items do you regret NOT buying? 17th Jul 17 at 8:52 PM
    Just watching one of these old cast iron coffee mills passing through £60 on ebay reminded me of missing one for £3 in a chazzer in Worcester once. They weigh a fair bit so I thought, rather than buy it straight away, I'd come back in an hour's time. You know the rest...

So what have you regretted not buying?
Page 1
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 18th Jul 17, 10:18 AM
    • 1,828 Posts
    • 6,184 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    • 18th Jul 17, 10:18 AM
    • 18th Jul 17, 10:18 AM
    I saw a beautiful evening dress in one in Henley. I tried it on but it was too tight. I have since lost 2 stone and it would be just right now.
    Posh towns do tend to have good pickings in the charity shops
    • Doveling
    • By Doveling 18th Jul 17, 10:31 AM
    • 393 Posts
    • 7,068 Thanks
    Doveling
    • 18th Jul 17, 10:31 AM
    • 18th Jul 17, 10:31 AM
    A very heavy Imperial typewriter - £10.00.

When I went back with Mr.D to carry it for me, TEN MINUTES later!!, it had already gone

Should have paid for it immediately. Just not meant to be.
    Not dim .....just living in soft focus
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 18th Jul 17, 6:06 PM
    • 994 Posts
    • 7,447 Thanks
    kboss2010
    • 18th Jul 17, 6:06 PM
    • 18th Jul 17, 6:06 PM
    A Mulberry handbag for £8 & a Paget-illustrated complete works of Sherlock Holmes with a lovely antique-style cover for £4.
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 18th Jul 17, 6:26 PM
    • 4,066 Posts
    • 10,858 Thanks
    Hermia
    • 18th Jul 17, 6:26 PM
    • 18th Jul 17, 6:26 PM
    Mine is furniture. I have often seen some lovely solid items, but never when I had the room or had transport.
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 18th Jul 17, 10:49 PM
    • 2,945 Posts
    • 4,462 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    • 18th Jul 17, 10:49 PM
    • 18th Jul 17, 10:49 PM
    A very heavy Imperial typewriter - £10.00.

When I went back with Mr.D to carry it for me, TEN MINUTES later!!, it had already gone

Should have paid for it immediately. Just not meant to be.
    Originally posted by Doveling
    I had one of those when I was learning to type, we got it off an old lady who was selling it for £10 (30 years ago) she lived on the top floor of a flat and we were parked a couple of streets away!!! Nightmare to get home but gorgeous.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 18th Jul 17, 10:59 PM
    • 2,945 Posts
    • 4,462 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    • 18th Jul 17, 10:59 PM
    • 18th Jul 17, 10:59 PM
    On a day trip I did see 5 small glasses (I was looking for something to use for bailys or port) these were the perfect size, pretty and vintage.. I rejected them as there were only 5 and not 6 .. kicking myself when I got home as if we used them we would never had needed more than 4 at any one time .. they were only a fiver, and I have not seen anything like them since.

Also an other day trip I was a lovelly silk floaty top I My size and colours that would really suit me, I thought it was a bit steep at £6 for a chazzer did not think untill home that £6 was a good offer for pure silk bnwt!!

Both items were too far to go back for, if they were local I would have been outside at opening hoping they were stil there.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 19th Jul 17, 11:41 AM
    • 22,944 Posts
    • 47,811 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 19th Jul 17, 11:41 AM
    • 19th Jul 17, 11:41 AM
    On a day trip I did see 5 small glasses (I was looking for something to use for bailys or port) these were the perfect size, pretty and vintage..
    Originally posted by sillyvixen
    You'll just have to use big fat tumblers like the rest of us
    • C J
    • By C J 19th Jul 17, 12:17 PM
    • 870 Posts
    • 5,150 Thanks
    C J
    • 19th Jul 17, 12:17 PM
    • 19th Jul 17, 12:17 PM
    Or just swig it out of the bottle! I have never done this, obv.

I saw this coffee maker in lovely condition for just £10 the other week but didn't get it because Mr C J has started drinking only caffeine-free coffee lately so it wouldn't get used much. I genuinely didn't know you could get decaffeinated coffee beans (I thought the decaffeination bit happened during the processing of the beans/by magic) so I am cross not to have bought it, and embarrassed for being so stupid. My whole family laughed at me when I told them
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 19th Jul 17, 10:07 PM
    • 22,944 Posts
    • 47,811 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    ^^ CJ, I'm so glad you're back!

Because wait for it, I am finally going to make that trip to Nettlebed this weekend!

I would like a bit of advice though. Is it a cash economy, or are cards accepted? I'll be looking out for books as my priority, obvs, but what else is worth making a beeline for? Do I need cash for the car park? Can I travel between the site and car park freely to deposit my goodies or does it require a repeat entrance fee?

I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it.

• C J
    • By C J 20th Jul 17, 6:49 AM
    • 870 Posts
    • 5,150 Thanks
    C J
    Oh, that's brilliant - I'm sure you will love it despite the fact the weather forecast is awful, but actually a spot of rain keeps lots of people away so there's more for us

Yes, it is cash only. The nearest cashpoint machine is at the little garage in Nettlebed village.

You don't pay to park. As you drive in to the grounds, you will be met by parking marshals who will direct you to where they want you to park, but this is often quite a hike from the house. They are lovely ladies though, so if you were to wind down your car window and tell them you have some kind of health issue and can't walk far and please could you park in car park 2, they will always say yes. Car park 2 is right next to the sales so it's easier to keep going back and forth to put your purchases in the car. You pay one entrance fee (volunteer helpers will be selling these in the central area by the little cafe hut, and you can't get into the sales courtyards etc without a ticket). It costs £1 and I find it easiest to safety-pin the ticket to my jumper or jacket to save having to take it out if my pocket and show esp if I am weighed down with purchases.

Get there early - certainly by 9.30, not 10.30 as the schedule suggests. The book bits open at 9.30 so you can beat the crowds I usually take a flask of coffee, do the early opening bits then have a refreshment break in the car until the 10.30 parts open.

I think my daughter will be coming with me this week to buy books for her class at school, so be prepared to fight a tiny blonde teacher if you are after books for six year olds
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • pws52
    • By pws52 20th Jul 17, 7:11 AM
    • 152 Posts
    • 713 Thanks
    pws52
    About three years ago I saw two long, full Laura Ashley skirts in a charity shop priced at £3 each.
    I left them on the rail thinking that didn't need them.
    A couple of hours later I realised what an idiot I had been.....all that lovely fabric could have been upcycled into clothes for the granddaughters!
    I must have been experiencing a mental block in that shop and I am still annoyed with myself!
    • DianneB
    • By DianneB 21st Jul 17, 8:05 AM
    • 783 Posts
    • 1,605 Thanks
    DianneB
    On Tuesday I saw an extra large Barbrantia? ironing board for £4, thought I don't need that mine's a wide one, wasn't till about an hour later I walked past mine in the garage and realised the CS one was huge and a bargain, grabbed car keys and made a dash for it, sadly it was gone.
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 21st Jul 17, 10:07 AM
    • 12,324 Posts
    • 11,761 Thanks
    Chris25
    I once saw a bin full of corks - 5p each or make them an offer. I was doing a project with corks at the time but reckoned I had enough at home and left them as the shop was just about to close.

Overnight I thought how stupid I was to leave them & the next morning got down to the CS just after opening. You know what I'm going to say! Someone just ahead of me bought the lot!

Similar thing with a set of champagne glasses, left them as the shop was closing then realised they'd be a nice present for a special friend and took a long drive next morning to discover, as I walked into the shop, a lady at the counter paying for them.

I can't even count the times I've looked at a bag or item of clothing then thought better of it, put it back on the rail only for me to have a change of heart but someone in the shop has already picked it up.

Still, I've done the same myself, loads of times I've seen someone walking about with something I would have loved to have bought and then when they've decided against it I've snapped it up.

I think the one thing I most regret not buying was a large chest of drawers with a serpentine front. It was obviously old and made of beautiful wood but it was £180. We'd just had our first child and we just couldn't have afforded it. I went in several times in the hope that it would go in the sale for about £25 but it wasn't to be. It was gorgeous, I hope it went to a good home to someone who has cherished it
    Last edited by Chris25; 21-07-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

446Posts Today

4,818Users online

Martin's Twitter