Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scrolltag
    • By scrolltag 17th Jul 17, 8:17 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    scrolltag
    council tax issues
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:17 PM
    council tax issues 17th Jul 17 at 8:17 PM
    Ive been suffering from depression for a while now,made worse by my father passing away last year,very traumatic time. Im currently unemployed
    The council whom I have told of my situation being in the vulnerable category,I was told to obtain a doctors letter to prove my condition which I have done and set up a standing order of £20 per month to deal with the matter something I did without arranging it with the council .I have had letters from jacobs enforcement threatening goods removal etc which is not good for me.I received a letter this morning from the council stating that they acknowledge the standing order and have arranged a temporary payment scheme but the issue still lies with the enforcement agent and to ring them and sort out a payment scheme with them..So I haven't ducked the issue having made reasonable arrangements pay.Just wondering what my best course of action is.I can scan all the letters if that would help matters
    Thinking about section 13a

many thanks
Page 1
    • CIS
    • By CIS 17th Jul 17, 8:52 PM
    • 9,907 Posts
    • 5,651 Thanks
    CIS
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:52 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:52 PM
    Ive been suffering from depression for a while now,made worse by my father passing away last year,very traumatic time. Im currently unemployed
    The council whom I have told of my situation being in the vulnerable category,I was told to obtain a doctors letter to prove my condition which I have done and set up a standing order of £20 per month to deal with the matter something I did without arranging it with the council .I have had letters from jacobs enforcement threatening goods removal etc which is not good for me.I received a letter this morning from the council stating that they acknowledge the standing order and have arranged a temporary payment scheme but the issue still lies with the enforcement agent and to ring them and sort out a payment scheme with them..So I haven't ducked the issue having made reasonable arrangements pay.Just wondering what my best course of action is.I can scan all the letters if that would help matters
    Thinking about section 13a

many thanks
    Originally posted by scrolltag
    My apologies - I totally forgot about your message until I saw the latest one pop up !

I'd certainly encourage the Section 13A relief as it's open to appeal if they say no - if you get nothing then you're no worse off.

Have you tried asking the council if they'll instruct Jacobs to either cease or instruct them to accept a payment arrangement ? Jacobs may accept an arrangement if you complete a means forms and advise them you also have other arrangements direct with the council - Jacobs were always more 'reasonable' then some of the other enforcement agencies in those sorts of cases.

Craig
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery as I'm now a self employed Council Tax advisor and consultant with my own Council Tax consultancy business. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 17th Jul 17, 9:14 PM
    • 11,078 Posts
    • 8,256 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:14 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:14 PM
    You're unemployed. Are you on JSA?

The council can do a direct deduction from benefits at £3.65 per week, as well as, or instead of, the standing order.

Section 13 write-offs are being increasingly used, for people who can make no payments, or for whom the £3.65 payments are less than the ongoing liability, which is the case in areas with harsh council tax support schemes. You have nothing to lose by making an application but you need to make out a logical case why you cannot repay this in a reasonable period.

I would ask the council to recall the debt, quoting this

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/210478/Guidance_on_enforcement_of_CT_arrears.pdf

particularly 4.5 and 4.8-10
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

21Posts Today

3,539Users online

Martin's Twitter