Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • steveyme
    • By steveyme 17th Jul 17, 7:45 PM
    • 33Posts
    • 8Thanks
    steveyme
    Advice earning UK money from Germany please?
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:45 PM
    Advice earning UK money from Germany please? 17th Jul 17 at 7:45 PM
    My friend is has been living in the UK, but is now moving back to Germany and living as a German resident. They will continue some freelance work from a company in the UK. Two questions, probably ridiculously obvious, if I may?!

• Is a German resident that is being paid by a UK based company subject to German income tax only, with no other implications to either party?
    • If any one has any experience or opinions, what would be the best way to access that money? Options would seem to be:
    - request money to be paid immediately by the company in to a German bank account, or
    - be paid via paypal
    - be paid in to a UK bank account, and then transfer the sum herself

Any help or experiences on what would be the most efficient way much appreciated!! Steve
Page 1
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 17th Jul 17, 9:18 PM
    • 2,786 Posts
    • 1,210 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:18 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:18 PM
    She can avoid the fees and adverse conversion rates imposed by banks and Paypal by using Revolut, Transferwise 'Borderless Account' and/or Fineco Bank (UK). The latter is the only true bank, any of them can be used to receive salary, convert and transfer to a German bank account. Revolut would cost the least (nothing), sign up on their smartphone app, verify id etc and ask for personal sort code and account number for GBP.

As for tax, being a German resident implies tax residency there, but I don't know about how income from a UK company is applied.
    • steveyme
    • By steveyme 17th Jul 17, 9:34 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    steveyme
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:34 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:34 PM
    Thank you for your kind help eD!
    • colsten
    • By colsten 17th Jul 17, 11:08 PM
    • 8,717 Posts
    • 7,370 Thanks
    colsten
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:08 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:08 PM

As for tax, being a German resident implies tax residency there, but I don't know about how income from a UK company is applied.
    Originally posted by eDicky
    There's a double taxation agreement between the UK and Germany which essentially says that you only get taxed on a given income in one country. It can be as simple as getting taxed on all your worldwide income in your country of residency, to being really complicated and some income being taxed in one country and some in the other. Your friend should be seeking the advice of the Finanzamt responsible for them, and also clarify with their UK employer whether the payment they make is net or gross of UK income tax.
    • steveyme
    • By steveyme 18th Jul 17, 12:32 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    steveyme
    • 18th Jul 17, 12:32 AM
    • 18th Jul 17, 12:32 AM
    Beautiful! that's super valuable advice, I will pass this on. Many thanks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,865Posts Today

6,437Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin